Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Himannv

We'd be scoring 29 goals every match if he scored 9 out of 10
Take someone like Robben during his Bayern years - his game was essentially cutting in on his left and going for goal. What made him stand out was his accuracy with his shot and he was converting his chances often. If you round it off, Antony takes about 3 or 4 shots a game and many of them are definitely possible to score from. If he takes his chances better, his impact on games becomes a lot more because he then becomes a player who is working hard and tracking back, but also chipping in with goals and impacting the scoreline. He becomes a very useful player overall.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
United fans have always had a strange hate for flair players, barring Eric but if Eric had been poncier looking and less of an absolute loon ! Maybe that would’ve been different.

Anyway Antony could turn out to be an excellent player for us in the coming years.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Nani got himself 14 assists in his first season at United. Antony currently has 2. There is no comparison between the two. Nani was so far and away the better player that it’s not even close. And he himself was frustrating as hell at times.
This is such a stupid comparison. Nani played with maybe the best attacking trio the PL has ever seen.

Crimson King

This is such a stupid comparison. Nani played with maybe the best attacking trio the PL has ever seen.
Was going to post this exact comment. Antony doesn't have Rooney and Ronaldo to aim for, he hasn't had a real striker to feed all season!

I still think he should have more assists, but I'm willing to hold off judgement on that until we have a proper CF and fully functioning attack.

Stacks

Have to say I'm not impressed with his European record bar that 2019 CL campaign. And it doesn't have to do much with this tie vs Sevilla, more looking at his Ajax days.
Was going to post this exact comment. Antony doesn't have Rooney and Ronaldo to aim for, he hasn't had a real striker to feed all season!

I still think he should have more assists, but I'm willing to hold off judgement on that until we have a proper CF and fully functioning attack.
His expected assists are also low so he doesn't really create chances

wangyu

The last 2 pages of this thread see Antony being compared with Park, Nani, Robben and Di Maria. This means he must be doing something good.

Skills

Snitch
United fans have always had a strange hate for flair players, barring Eric but if Eric had been poncier looking and less of an absolute loon ! Maybe that would’ve been different.

Anyway Antony could turn out to be an excellent player for us in the coming years.
He's not a flair player.

Crimson King

His expected assists are also low so he doesn't really create chances
Yeah they're very low, but I still think a lack of a proper striker probably feeds into that somewhat. Obviously other players have managed to get assists, and he should still be creating more chances for the players he is playing with, but I'd wager it's probably quite low across the whole team, other than maybe Bruno?

Also, I feel like Antony is very much an Ajax under EtH player. He'd much rather recycle possession and keep the ball, move the defence about until an opportunity opens up. We don't really do that...so he normally just goes it alone, even when he shouldn't.

Godfather

His final ball and decision making needs working on but still had a decent game and worked his socks off again.

devil99

He obviously has some developing to do, but the raw material is there. And his off the ball work, intensity, bravery and fighting spirit is absolutely phenomenal. He never hides. He's a massive asset.
He is still young and in his first season in a demanding league.
Except end product or final pass he has all other tools to succeed.
I would be more worried about Sancho than him.

DownRiver

He is very frustrating, and I do think his decision making will get better - it has already.

However, I do not think he will improve enough to be a top world class winger. Garnacho has a higher tragedy, and hopefully, Amad can battle with him on the right next season. With new owners, hopefully, we don't wait 10 years to get red of a player if they are not doing well.

RuudTom83

You can add Garnacho to that too - all three are really markedly "receiving-end" type of attackers, very direct. Sancho is really our only one who's more of a "supply-end" forward.
Very true. I would say Garnacho likes the give-and-go type plays before he shoots, whereas once Antony/Rashford has it the rest of the team should just hope the incoming shot tests the keeper.

Sancho is definitely the odd one out in the bunch...which isn't an excuse for why he is so ineffective but it might explain it slightly.

Last I'll say on them as a group, but if they could get on the same wavelength over the summer (maybe a new CF be the key) then they would all benefit.

justsomebloke

Very true. I would say Garnacho likes the give-and-go type plays before he shoots, whereas once Antony/Rashford has it the rest of the team should just hope the incoming shot tests the keeper.

Sancho is definitely the odd one out in the bunch...which isn't an excuse for why he is so ineffective but it might explain it slightly.

Last I'll say on them as a group, but if they could get on the same wavelength over the summer (maybe a new CF be the key) then they would all benefit.
It really underlines why Bruno is so important too. And concerning new CF, it raises the issue of whether another direct, receiving-end type of striker like Osimhen is what would work best. Or if we would be better off with a more mixed type, like Harry Kane.

That's true but its also true that Nani was miles better. There's no shame in that, in terms of pure talent Nani gave Ronaldo a run for his money. Antony will benefit from a real striker next season but he's never going to be as impossible to stop as Nani could be. There aren't many in the league who could be.

Oranges038

Used his right foot a few times and popped up on the left a couple of times too. He's getting there, showing more intent and desire to work harder every week.

Definitely a much to come from him, decision making needs work, makes him frustrating to watch, but I think that can be ironed out, has all the tools to be a top player.

Stacks

Used his right foot a few times and popped up on the left a couple of times too. He's getting there, showing more intent and desire to work harder every week.

Definitely a much to come from him, decision making needs work, makes him frustrating to watch, but I think that can be ironed out, has all the tools to be a top player.
what would you say the tools to be a top player are in his respective position and which do you feel he is likely to develop?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This is hugely contraversial but I trust Antony in his dribbling, take ons and just generally taking care of the ball than I do with Rashford.

The latter is a much better finisher and versatile in front of the box but I'd love to see Rashfords actual successful take-on's percentage. It's his best season for us but I still expect him to lose a dribble attempt when I see him try something. Antony meanwhile is not as good as Rashford remotely in front of goal, and that weighs a lot more in people's minds.

I hope Antony's end product (even with crossing) improves in the coming months because you feel like he has the harder bits locked down in his skillset somewhere.

Oranges038

what would you say the tools to be a top player are in his respective position and which do you feel he is likely to develop?
For me it's dribbling, strength, passing/crossing, work rate, decsion making.

He's strong, he works hard, he can dribble, he's starting to show he can take a man on, he's working on going down the outside onto his right more, it shows he's looking to become less one dimensional.

He can pass, he can cross (sort of), he can cut in and shoot, personally I think just needs to work on his decision making about picking the right option when he gets into the right areas. Last week against Forrest, he played Dalot in with a lovely ball. Had a similar option yesterday for Martial and he decided to roll it at the keeper.

I think when you add a striker that will make these kind of moves regularly for him, he'll do that more often and get more assists. I also think, adding a more proactive attacking full back down the right is needed to create more space for him to operate slightly infield where I think he's more effective.

Frank White

This is hugely contraversial but I trust Antony in his dribbling, take ons and just generally taking care of the ball than I do with Rashford.

The latter is a much better finisher and versatile in front of the box but I'd love to see Rashfords actual successful take-on's percentage. It's his best season for us but I still expect him to lose a dribble attempt when I see him try something. Antony meanwhile is not as good as Rashford remotely in front of goal, and that weighs a lot more in people's minds.

I hope Antony's end product (even with crossing) improves in the coming months because you feel like he has the harder bits locked down in his skillset somewhere.
Their take on percentage differences are negligible at 34.6 to 37.1 but Rashford's miscontrols are doubled compared to Antony. What's interesting though is Antony is praised to high heaven on his defensive duties but (unless i'm reading it wrong) the difference between the 2 seems super insignificant.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Their take on percentage differences are negligible at 34.6 to 37.1 but Rashford's miscontrols are doubled compared to Antony. What's interesting though is Antony is praised to high heaven on his defensive duties but (unless i'm reading it wrong) the difference between the 2 seems super insignificant.
You're not reading it wrong, Rashford's stats are not scrutinized as much because of the goals he scores

FerociousCorgis

even just during this first season feel like have seen him start to vary up his attack a little at least. Def seems like lately going down the outside with his right foot more, even crossed a couple times with it i swear. Now he just needs to do a different shot once in a while, or at least just work on getting them on target more with pace. Getting a good CF should really help his stats id wager.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Even if he doesn’t improve, I don’t see him becoming a player that no other club would be interested in either.

We can see if he gets better with next year’s competition on the RW increasing and if he doesn’t take up to it then we should at least get half of our money back compared to a lot of our other players.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The last bit is surprising because from the eye test Antony looks a lot more hardworking.

El Jefe

The last 2 pages of this thread see Antony being compared with Park, Nani, Robben and Di Maria. This means he must be doing something good.
He's only being compared to these players because it's a United forum.

The Robben comparisons have never made sense to me tbh. Robben frightened defenders while Antony struggles to beat his marker. If the criteria Is left footed players who cut in and shoot then there's a player on every team that can be compared to Robben.

I think Mahrez is the best comparison in terms of the highest level he could reach and even then his game needs a lot of work to be compared with Mahrez.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Even if he doesn’t improve, I don’t see him becoming a player that no other club would be interested in either.

We can see if he gets better with next year’s competition on the RW increasing and if he doesn’t take up to it then we should at least get half of our money back compared to a lot of our other players.
Well it's more like top clubs don't sign that kind of attackers. I don't think anyone expects him to be an elite winger at any point of his career, and we paid the money for an elite winger.
That said, he's very good at things that current United are missing therefore we look better with him on the pitch. I am still shocked we paid that much money for him but I can understand why ETH really wanted Antony.

mu4c_20le

Well it's more like top clubs don't sign that kind of attackers. I don't think anyone expects him to be an elite winger at any point of his career, and we paid the money for an elite winger.
That said, he's very good at things that current United are missing therefore we look better with him on the pitch. I am still shocked we paid that much money for him but I can understand why ETH really wanted Antony.
I think it's because we really lacked a RW. If a certain someone were available we wouldn't have signed him, at least not for that money.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think it's because we really lacked a RW. If a certain someone were available we wouldn't have signed him, at least not for that money.
I think «a certain someone» would have been a striker under EtH. Appears to like ball progressors as wingers.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
True but what I meant is our best footballers are poor off the ball and don't work hard defensively. This goes back to MMM front 3, Pogba in midfield etc. Antony gives that extra bit of energy and legs. This was clearly visible yesterday with Rashford and Eriksen occupying left side of the pitch.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The last bit is surprising because from the eye test Antony looks a lot more hardworking.
He is - he does far more work than virtually everyone in the team, only Bruno is really comparable at that

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
That's true but its also true that Nani was miles better. There's no shame in that, in terms of pure talent Nani gave Ronaldo a run for his money. Antony will benefit from a real striker next season but he's never going to be as impossible to stop as Nani could be. There aren't many in the league who could be.
Yeah, I agree. Nani 07-12 was phenomenal.

j65454

Why are some people mentioning Robben? Robben was beyond rapid with the ball.

mancan92

But Nani was also an hugely more talented. Most of his goals and assists tended to be his own individual brilliance anyway rather than others. Don't you remember his first few goals that season? They were all great dribbles and immense strikes. Antony has the great strikers but no where near the dribbling ability or passing ability.

kidbob

The last few weeks have shown that he is releasing the ball at the right time away from being great. Too head down and selfish at times but that can definitely be coached. Outside of that final product he's been very good the last few games.

Stig

I think I have seen 4 right footed crosses in the last two games, which is immense progress.

When he does this more and more and changes his left foot shot to the near post now and then he's going to be so much more efdective

justsomebloke

If you look at the PL stats for this season, Rashford's is actually better than Antony's - 34.6 to 31.0. The key thing here though is they're both low - below 50 percentile (ie, sub-average for PL wingers). But this, like headers won %, is a stat that is of doubtful usefulness on its own. If you look at take-ons attempted, it's 4.04 for Rashford, 3.82 for Antony. These are above-average, but not extremely high. If you look at the successful take-ons/90, which is arguably the most useful stat if you're looking at only one, Rahsford's is OK at 1.40, while Antony's is sub-average at 1.19.

For context, Garnacho is 27% (very bad)/7.35 (very high)/1.99, while Sancho is 41.8% (still bad)/4.17/1.74.

Antony is the only United attacker whose miscontrols aren't sub-average, but still not that good (1.84 in the PL). The others; Rashford 2.53, Garnacho 3.97, Sancho 2.65.

Of all those stats, the volume of Garnacho's take-on attempts (7.35/90) is the only one that is top 15 percentiles for wingers/att mids in the PL this season, and no one has even an average PL winger success rate, so it is safe to say this is not a strong area for this team.

If you want to add in Martial, he has a better success rate (50%) than any of the wingers, but he makes very few attempts (2.07/90), giving him 1.03 successful take-ons/90 (which is actually at least above average, for a striker). 2.51 miscontrols/90, also better than average for a PL striker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.