5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedRepublic

Love me a player with flair but this guy need to pass the ball and stop going for that inside foot curler every oppurtunity he gets and look for his teammates instead. We got to many players thinking about me instead of us.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He does a lot of good but I fecking hate his final 3rd decision making and his passes to the keeper. Once every few months he might curl it in. Most of the time (and he shoots over the pass way too often), he just passes to the keeper. But we also play a lot better with him in the team. Also, just put your foot through the ball sometimes, go near post sometimes. Hate the constant curl attempt. At least play on a rebound.
Yes, he could have played in teammates several times, but I was impressed with the straight ahead sprint, and cross with his right foot where Rashford was just not quite there.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Very hard working winger. Helps out defensively. Needs to do a lot more going forward and better decision making.

lsd

The Oracle
It’s more to do with his decision making and confidence on the right foot rather than ability I think.

He isn’t completely useless on his right, but for him it seems he just doesn’t even want to try with it sometimes.

It’s improved over the last few weeks, so hopefully that’s a sign of them trying to coach him into it.

Noticed he used his right foot a couple of times today but his end product is just so poor.

Its just shocking the opportunities that are lost with his decision making and final ball or shot.

I saw some people compare him to Nani who would make some draft decisions at times but overall Nani had far better end product.

Lougie86

Supports
Partick Thistle
Did Nani have good decision making at the same age or at the same length of time at United though? Cause he definitely didn’t.

And I was a big fan of Nani btw. But give Anthony a chance to develop. There’s clear talent there, he works hard as…. Ten hag likes him and he’s very passionate, mahrez is one footed as you can possibly be and does well for that lot so there’s no reason Anthony can’t be a great player for us. Give him a chance.

Noticed he used his right foot a couple of times today but his end product is just so poor.

Its just shocking the opportunities that are lost with his decision making and final ball or shot.

I saw some people compare him to Nani who would make some draft decisions at times but overall Nani had far better end product.

mu4c_20le

Did Nani have good decision making at the same age or at the same length of time at United though? Cause he definitely didn’t.

And I was a big fan of Nani btw. But give Anthony a chance to develop. There’s clear talent there, he works hard as…. Ten hag likes him and he’s very passionate, mahrez is one footed as you can possibly be and does well for that lot so there’s no reason Anthony can’t be a great player for us. Give him a chance.
Him and Nani are completely different players. Nani was closer to Ronaldo, he could shoot, cross, dribble, beat players with ease. So there was an obvious ceiling to look forward to. Antony has shown none of these things even at his best.

Literally the only thing they had in common was that both were inconsistent and frustrating.

RuudTom83

Antony (and Rashford) just hate passing once they are close to goal.

Both will shoot 9 out of 10 times. It makes for some great individual goals, but I think for the attack to improve as a whole, they need to pass more.

Belisarius

Both will shoot 9 out of 10 times. It makes for some great individual goals, but I think for the attack to improve as a whole, they need to pass more.
I agree with this.

With a better striker in next season it will become more of a problem than it is now.

lsd

The Oracle

I can kinda see the comparison but to me Nani just had shown more at a similar stage whether it was his shooting or creating. You knew he had it. With Antony you are just hoping it develops

Galactic

Incorrigible pest

It’s not totally just their fault. Sometimes the understanding between the players are not there. They need to talk. Communicate. Shout. Be in their line of sight. Raise hand or whatever. Given them a rollicking if they still don’t pass.

Malone_Post

Nani got himself 14 assists in his first season at United. Antony currently has 2. There is no comparison between the two. Nani was so far and away the better player that it’s not even close. And he himself was frustrating as hell at times.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I thought that bit where he should've played Bruno with a reverse pass was frustrating, but overall he did decently.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I agree that he should pass more. But I do think he’s coming along nicely over the past few weeks in particular. His ability to bring the ball under control and have time on the ball to pick the next option seems so basic but it’s crucial as he doesn’t give cheap turnovers. His off the ball work is obviously top class for an attacker.

That assist for Dalot should be his blue print. Once he understands how he can hurt teams through this passing he won’t feel the pressure to shoot so dribble every single time even when he hasn’t the beating of the defender / shooting boots on

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
I thought that bit where he should've played Bruno with a reverse pass was frustrating, but overall he did decently.
There was a chance earlier when he was running in on goal and, miraculously, looked for the pass instead of cutting back to shoot. And that was the wrong decision. He still has to work on choosing the right option but I'd consider it a step forward that he's actually looking to pass more often now, even if it needs work. He'll sort it out.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Nani got himself 14 assists in his first season at United. Antony currently has 2. There is no comparison between the two. Nani was so far and away the better player that it’s not even close. And he himself was frustrating as hell at times.
Ye plus Nani was both footed and unpredictable. He had a rocket of a shot outside the area.

Mr Smith

I do think there's promise with this guy. The main thing he needs to improve on is decision-making, which is something you definitely can coach. If he learns to be a bit less selfish and look to play in his teammates a bit more, we'll have a really great player on our hands.

zaafi

Nani also played with world class players in one of the best teams in the world, whereas Antony play with Weghorst as our main striker. I do agree he needs to improve his decision making, but you have to take into consideration the quality of our players now compared to back then.

Himannv

I don't get the negativity about him. I think he's arrogant and selfish but that doesn't mean you can't be successful in this sport. I get that he's all about cutting in and curling it in with his left foot, which is completely fine really. What he needs is more accuracy with the shot and making sure he puts it away 9 out of 10 times.

rebornsoull

Thought he was pretty good today bar a few decision making blips. As EtH said, Robben was a pretty successful one trick pony but he mastered his skills of cutting inside at 25/26 years old when he was at Bayern, lets hope it happens for Antony as well.

zaafi

I don't get the negativity about him. I think he's arrogant and selfish but that doesn't mean you can't be successful in this sport. I get that he's all about cutting in and curling it in with his left foot, which is completely fine really. What he needs is more accuracy with the shot and making sure he puts it away 9 out of 10 times.
We'd be scoring 29 goals every match if he scored 9 out of 10

reddev3

Biggest thing for me is he actually looks quite quick now whereas he looked like he was running in treacle up to and straight after the world cup. His acceleration from standing looks really good.

He had a bad injury in the summer before joining us and and has had a few little injuries for us up until recently so I don't know if that explains it but he definitely looks a lot quicker, fitter and stronger recently.

Needs to sort his final actions out though if he's going to be top class, he's not awful but he's not exactly great either. There's room for improvement definitely but I think he can do it, maybe next season?

Last edited:

justsomebloke

You can add Garnacho to that too - all three are really markedly "receiving-end" type of attackers, very direct. Sancho is really our only one who's more of a "supply-end" forward.

Olecurls99

Biggest thing for me is he actually looks quite quick now whereas he looked like he was running in treacle up to and straight after the world cup. His acceleration from standing looks really good.

He had a bad injury in the summer before joining us and and has had a few little injuries for us up until recently so I don't know if that explains it but he definitely looks a lot quicker, fitter and stronger recently.

Needs to sort his final actions out though if he's going to be top class, he's not awful but he's not exactly great either. There's room for improvement definitely but I think he can do it, maybe next season?
Good post. He's definitely looking quicker

hmchan

He does a lot of good but I fecking hate his final 3rd decision making and his passes to the keeper. Once every few months he might curl it in. Most of the time (and he shoots over the pass way too often), he just passes to the keeper. But we also play a lot better with him in the team. Also, just put your foot through the ball sometimes, go near post sometimes. Hate the constant curl attempt. At least play on a rebound.
You need great physicality to hit a rocket after cutting in and dribbling past a few defenders. This is what makes Ronaldo and Bale so unstoppable at their prime. Antony just doesn't have that and I doubt he can improve in this area. He loses all his balance cutting in and hence his shots are either weak or well wide because of his wrong body shape. It's not like he loves the curl attempt, it's the best he could do reaching the ball.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You need great physicality to hit a rocket after cutting in and dribbling past a few defenders. This is what makes Ronaldo and Bale so unstoppable at their prime. Antony just doesn't have that and I doubt he can improve in this area. He loses all his balance cutting in and hence his shots are either weak or well wide because of his wrong body shape. It's not like he loves the curl attempt, it's the best he could do reaching the ball.
Its not just his body shape. He has an odd shooting technique which can be improved, thats with and without any pressure

Pughnichi

Surely must infuriate you all he has no workable right foot in match situation?

Couple of times he was one on one v backing defender and all it required was him to get a strong right footed shot away and would have a good chance of scoring.

Instead he just cuts back onto his left and allows time for more defenders to get back and cut the angle/stop the shot.

Rashford's obviously locked down the left for foreseeable future so I think that's an interesting dynamic for the tight games next season especially if AWB is starting behind him as then you don't have an overlapping threat either.
Rashford as you say has the left locked down. Rashford similarly cuts back on to his right. It worked well for robben as well. Likewise Mahrez, Salah etc

it’s not the action that needs to change. It’s the execution to be improved

Zed is not dead

In some ways, he reminds of Vinicius of last season.
You could see the talent was there, but with zero brains and always making the wrong choice.

Hopefully he can have the same trajectory and start being more decisive on the pitch

mancan92

Thought he was pretty good today bar a few decision making blips. As EtH said, Robben was a pretty successful one trick pony but he mastered his skills of cutting inside at 25/26 years old when he was at Bayern, lets hope it happens for Antony as well.
Robben also was able to take on the whole team in a dribble. You'd be lucky to see Anthony go by one defender.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's basically an arrogant Park Ji Sung with one good shot
I would actually compare him to an immature Di Maria. He has the workrate, he isn't the fastest but he is fast enough, he has a good shot but not the best and he has the creativity but doesn't lean enough on it. The issue is that his game isn't mature, he should focus on two things create chances for his teammates and support his fullback because he could be elite at both, similarly to Di Maria.

Status
Not open for further replies.