5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

Sure, but prime Di Maria is also taking it with his left and blistering the CB for pace before shooting. Which is my point: He's not special physically/pace wise and also dreadfully one-footed, so what the feck do we expect him to improve on? Finishing? Sure maybe. But he won't suddenly become a creative wizard and he's not going to magically gain a yard of pace either.

Mid table
He had two bad touches moving away from the goal, so unless he was prime usain Bolt there is no way he would break theough on goal. Terrible from him, but lack of speed wasn’t the greatest issue there.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He had two bad touches moving away from the goal, so unless he was prime usain Bolt there is no way he would break theough on goal. Terrible from him, but lack of speed wasn’t the greatest issue there.
Point being he's not good at running with the ball and he's not Dan James running off it.

That wasn't the first time he was breaking with acres of space and looked like a schoolboy on the ball this year.

Someone

Something
Just can't see us closing the gap on City with him and Sancho in the team. He's braindead and 9 times out of 10 will make the wrong decision. I'd rather have Dan James instead.

RedIan

Didnt do enough today. If he could play with both feet he would be a very useful player.. He is so limited being one footed. We have over paid for him imo.

El Jefe

I've said it countless times in here but this guy is painfully average. Today we saw Kelly follow the easy scouting manual on Antony and he made him look like the predictable and limited player that he is.

Amazes me how people talk about him like he should be a guarantee in our first 11 next season. Average talent with average ability. The best thing going for him is he's the only inverted RW in the team. If him, Greenwood and Amad were all in the same team under a manager not playing favourites, he'd get no game time.

There's a bunch of Antonys across the top 5 European leagues, we just happened to overpay by £50m for this one.

Lyng

So promising last match and then back to his usual self. Still to early to write him off but personally I dont see him keeping Amad out of the starting lineup.

ScholesyTheWise

Just can't see us closing the gap on City with him and Sancho in the team. He's braindead and 9 times out of 10 will make the wrong decision. I'd rather have Dan James instead.
To me, it made more sense to want to give Sancho time a/o the benefit of the doubt,
based on what he's shown in Germany, and even if you get the hype out of the equation.
This is now his, 2nd, 3rd season with us? my memory is crap.
Anyhow, he was given time to show his worth and it just doesn't look like he'll make it. I believe he needs to be moved elsewhere.

With Antony, I'm yet to meet/interact with a single Ajax fan who says he was brilliant in Holland and just needs time before he makes it in England.
I guess 90% of us at the Caf have only seen Youtube compilations of him before he signed for Utd, and they are hardly impressive.

Why would I be inclined to give him the same grace I gave Sancho? He's shown much less.

He reminds me somewhat of Darren Fletcher in his early days,
where you could see there's a decent footballer in there, but not as a winger and not necessarily at a top club.
Fletch didn't cost us a penny so it was alright to keep him as a squad player,
and I guess he surprised many (myself surely) when he turned out to be quite a good CM for a couple of seasons.

I wonder why ETH sees Antony as a winger, when he lacks many skills to be a good one, let alone a great one.
But with his current skill set, I can't see him as an 8 or a 10 either.

What positions is he supposed to occupy?

Even if he played for some midtable team... very strange player.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
So promising last match and then back to his usual self. Still to early to write him off but personally I dont see him keeping Amad out of the starting lineup.
Wanna bet?

OrcaFat

He needs to turn promising performances into a run of good performances.

Don’t think Amad will get games ahead of him but I’ll be happy to be proved wrong.

Carl

Criticism has been over the top for Antony. He's not set the world alight, and has been inconsistent, but he absolutely works his bollocks off and has shown enough ability to demonstrate why he was bought. Not to mention he seems to have the right kind of mentality and attitude.

No one is a guarantee, but I'm expecting him to put in a 7 or 8 out of 10 next season.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Criticism has been over the top for Antony. He's not set the world alight, and has been inconsistent, but he absolutely works his bollocks off and has shown enough ability to demonstrate why he was bought. Not to mention he seems to have the right kind of mentality and attitude.

No one is a guarantee, but I'm expecting him to put in a 7 or 8 out of 10 next season.
Please can we stop giving players (especially attackers) credit for a good attitude and hard work. My god we aren’t West Ham, stop evaluating performances like we are

Carl

Please can we stop giving players (especially attackers) credit for a good attitude and hard work. My god we aren’t West Ham, stop evaluating performances like we are
It's an important trait to have, there's nothing wrong with acknowledging it as a positive. See Sancho...

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Two moments put me off him even more today. The first he was on the wing and a Bournemouth player brushed his chest and he went down like a sack of shit. Ref didn't even give a FK. The second was when he shot with his right foot that went miles wide and then he had a go at WW for not following in.

Bruno has a lot of the same traits but when he's putting up the numbers it's a lot easier to forgive. Can't be having 2 feckers in the same team with such ugly qualities. Wouldn't mind at all to see one of them going and that one isn't Bruno.

Sylar

It's that lack of right foot and reliance on the left which kills counters despite good movement.

Him and Sancho as our wingers who can't beat man, can't cross nor get an assist is a huge huge worry

mikeyt

Everyone knows he's not got a right foot and as a result he's being easily handled by defences in this league. He needs to use the offseason to develop some new tricks and preferably his right foot, he reminds me of Valencia in that sense, however Tony had pace and power to burn that Antony doesn't.

He's an attacker that needs to create and score, work rate is great but end product is what you ultimately get judged on. I'm not saying his numbers are terrible this season but he needs to seriously work on beating a player.

Red00012

Needs a lot of coaching this summer and learn when to pass and take the right option

Ole90+3

Two moments put me off him even more today. The first he was on the wing and a Bournemouth player brushed his chest and he went down like a sack of shit. Ref didn't even give a FK. The second was when he shot with his right foot that went miles wide and then he had a go at WW for not following in.

Bruno has a lot of the same traits but when he's putting up the numbers it's a lot easier to forgive. Can't be having 2 feckers in the same team with such ugly qualities. Wouldn't mind at all to see one of them going and that one isn't Bruno.
Criminal that you’re comparing Antony to our best player

Someone

Something
It's an important trait to have, there's nothing wrong with acknowledging it as a positive. See Sancho...
It is but it won't get us where we need to be. We need to a combination of hard work and talent, which what we used to have in our successful teams through the years. Antony poses no threat and scares no one. We won't close the gap on City with hard work alone.

Sylar

Everyone knows he's not got a right foot and as a result he's being easily handled by defences in this league. He needs to use the offseason to develop some new tricks and preferably his right foot, he reminds me of Valencia in that sense, however Tony had pace and power to burn that Antony doesn't.
Doing this at 23 is not an easy task. Whilst you can improve of course, it just looks like something he can't do in the first place and something he needed to do when he was much younger

Someone

Something
To me, it made more sense to want to give Sancho time a/o the benefit of the doubt,
based on what he's shown in Germany, and even if you get the hype out of the equation.
This is now his, 2nd, 3rd season with us? my memory is crap.
Anyhow, he was given time to show his worth and it just doesn't look like he'll make it. I believe he needs to be moved elsewhere.

With Antony, I'm yet to meet/interact with a single Ajax fan who says he was brilliant in Holland and just needs time before he makes it in England.
I guess 90% of us at the Caf have only seen Youtube compilations of him before he signed for Utd, and they are hardly impressive.

Why would I be inclined to give him the same grace I gave Sancho? He's shown much less.

He reminds me somewhat of Darren Fletcher in his early days,
where you could see there's a decent footballer in there, but not as a winger and not necessarily at a top club.
Fletch didn't cost us a penny so it was alright to keep him as a squad player,
and I guess he surprised many (myself surely) when he turned out to be quite a good CM for a couple of seasons.

I wonder why ETH sees Antony as a winger, when he lacks many skills to be a good one, let alone a great one.
But with his current skill set, I can't see him as an 8 or a 10 either.

What positions is he supposed to occupy?

Even if he played for some midtable team... very strange player.
I expected from Antony what we're getting from Garnacho, a threatening player capable of brilliant things but rather inconsistent. It's easy to be patient now with Garnacho because we know he has it in him, but with Antony I genuinely think his overall game is flawed. He's so predictable, slows our game, and has the worst decision making in the team. For him to be what we need him to be means he needs to change his game completely.

NRg

You pass him the ball, he jumps a couple of times across the ball, turns his back on the goal, and passes backwards.

wangyu

Greenwood is a lot better but I take it his chances of returning are zero

ScholesyTheWise

I expected from Antony what we're getting from Garnacho, a threatening player capable of brilliant things but rather inconsistent. It's easy to be patient now with Garnacho because we know he has it in him, but with Antony I genuinely think his overall game is flawed. He's so predictable, slows our game, and has the worst decision making in the team. For him to be what we need him to be means he needs to change his game completely.
Yes, 100%. Seems not to be a popular opinion around here.

Garnacho, Nani, Cristiano (who could have known that he'd grow to be the monster he became) - their inconsistency was largely acceptable because the signs for an exciting attacking player are/were there.

Where the hell are they with Antony?

I must be blind or very very agenda-driven, going by some posts here.

But I quite like the guy and would like him to succeed. Seeing him being plain average doesn't fill me with joy or anything...

Carl

It is but it won't get us where we need to be. We need to a combination of hard work and talent, which what we used to have in our successful teams through the years. Antony poses no threat and scares no one. We won't close the gap on City with hard work alone.
I agree it's not enough alone, but the original post that was quoted I was saying I think he's shown enough to give us faith he does have the talent. He just needs to work on that consistency, and will benefit from having an actual striker to play with.

Abraxas

That was awful. Numerous opportunities in the final third to help us kill the game up and he fluffed his lines every time. In fact he didn't even look close to producing today. Frustrating.

CloneMC16

Wanna bet?
The main issue is Antony is ETH's signing. He spent a lot of money on him and will probably stubbornly keep playing him. Pellistri has barely been given a chance, and he's actually done alright when he's gotten the odd few minutes. I hope to see Amad next season, but I very much expect to see Antony start whenever fit.

I cannot understand why ETH liked him so much to spend what we did. The guy has huge weaknesses in his game. It's shocking that 3 of our forwards that we've spent around £210m on aren't good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.