Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I was saying he’s giving me Memphis vibes before we bought him but he’s actually even worse.

Maybe it’s just a long con and he’ll start using his right foot now that everyone has him completey figured out.
Memphis scored 2 goals in the league and could only cut it against very weak opponents in Europe.
Antony is already ahead of his level.

But everyone knows he needs to develop from his 1 move,

zaafi

Yeah. To not register an assist or goal in the PL since September simply isn't good enough. Dan James didn't even go this long between PL returns for us and we can all agree he wasn't the answer either.

I just don't think this Antony fellow is that good personally. He has too many flaws in his game to become a top player in a difficult league.
I'm pretty sure if it is as simple as that, then we wouldn't have bought him.
I'm sure the same was said about Vidic and Evra when they signed. Every young player has flaws, that's why both coaching and experience is worth a ton. Look at Mahrez for instance, he was playing for Le Havre at Antony's age and not considered a talent at all.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'm pretty sure if it is as simple as that, then we wouldn't have bought him.
I'm sure the same was said about Vidic and Evra when they signed. Every young player has flaws, that's why both coaching and experience is worth a ton. Look at Mahrez for instance, he was playing for Le Havre at Antony's age and not considered a talent at all.
Really poor example. Mahrez cost 500,000 pounds.

We have paid 84m. This is meant to be money reserved for the very best and he isn't even performing better than likes of Mitoma and Harvey Barnes.

I hope to god I'm wrong but I think we've bought a flop.

zaafi

Really poor example. Mahrez cost 500,000 pounds.

We have paid 84m. This is meant to be money reserved for the very best and he isn't even performing better than likes of Mitoma and Harvey Barnes.

I hope to god I'm wrong but I think we've bought a flop.
Are we talking about value for money here or whether Antony will be good enough or not? Your post that I quoted said nothing about the price, but that you don't think he is good enough and that he has too many flaws in his game.
That's why I mentioned Mahrez - he was much further behind in his progress at 22-23 than Antony is now, so it just goes to show that players, even with flaws, can easily come good with coaching, a good mentality and experience.

Now if we're talking about value for money, then that's another debate.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Are we talking about value for money here or whether Antony will be good enough or not? Your post that I quoted said nothing about the price, but that you don't think he is good enough and that he has too many flaws in his game.
That's why I mentioned Mahrez - he was much further behind in his progress at 22-23 than Antony is now, so it just goes to show that players, even with flaws, can easily come good with coaching, a good mentality and experience.

Now if we're talking about value for money, then that's another debate.
Value for money he's certainly not.

I do question his ability too. Not particularly quick and has no right foot. This leaves him incredibly predictable for defenders to stop him. Occasionally he's going to curl one or two into the far corner with his left peg but how often is that trick going to work?

Any decent defender will just show him onto his right foot.

zaafi

Value for money he's certainly not.

I do question his ability too. Not particularly quick and has no right foot. This leaves him incredibly predictable for defenders to stop him. Occasionally he's going to curl one or two into the far corner with his left peg but how often is that trick going to work?

Any decent defender will just show him onto his right foot.
That's why I believe signing Frimpong will make Antony much more effective. I also expect a lot more from him, but he certainly fits Ten Hag's playstyle and is excellent at progressing the ball forward along the sideline and maintain possession.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That's why I believe signing Frimpong will make Antony much more effective. I also expect a lot more from him, but he certainly fits Ten Hag's playstyle and is excellent at progressing the ball forward along the sideline and maintain possession.
A good overlapping right back is essential I agree if we are to persevere with Antony.

fps

Rafael Leao looks like the one. Plays on the other side though.

Antony works hard, he's a threat, he can't be ignored. More to come I'd say, he's got the vibe.

SirScholes

Why do you keep saying 100 million pounds? He didn't cost that, so why do you add an extra £15m? Is it because you think your argument is weak as it is and you want to strengthen it?

And no, I'm asking which right winger that we could have signed instead of him that would very likely do better than him and that fits Ten Hag's game plan. So, give me some examples.
Mate he could cost 60 million and it would be a rip off

putting it aside I hope you all come on here in an hour and take the piss out of me because he’s scored or assisted in a United win

Olecurls99

So many shots. So so many shots.

When he dinked it into the box we scored. Hopefully Ten Hag points it out.

crossy1686

career ending
Was okay, kept trying, played a good ball in for the goal. His shooting is frustrating though, seems like he's trying too hard at the moment but at least he's trying and putting a shift in, unlike some.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He played well IMO. Great ball to sabitzer for the goal. His shooting was garbage though.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think he is actually playing really well considering his quality, and you cannot doubt his attitude, but his quality really is nothing special, unfortunately. For example if you compare him with someone like Sancho, he is trying lot harder, being onvolved lot more, but I don't think it means much to his team attacking wise. He is not great with his fullbacks though, and he should probably stop shooting.

Good at stuff like keeping posession, being available to pass to, and looking dangerous without actually being dengerous. Maybe he can improve next season if he can add more end product, but I simply don't see it.

dubplate warrior

Jesus wept
100 euro 85 gbp who cares either way it’s over the odds.
But hope and happy to be proved wrong
It's important to keep it factual. 15 million is a fair chunk of change, point withstanding.

Antony showed tonight he is very important for our shape especially defensively. He deserves time to improve.

Eric_the_Red99

His shooting is really starting to get on my nerves. Maybe one in 15 or 20 goes in. That’s not good enough, as there is usually the opportunity to create at least a half chance for someone else.

The rest of his game is showing a lot of promise, but ETH needs to have a word about his shooting.

Fabio Rochemback

Mostly good except for his shooting. There was a moment early on where he showed sublime control on the touchline to bring a DDG pass down... and then he seemed not to know what to do and got crowded out. Sums him up so far this season. The talent is there, whether or not he's able to harness it remains to be seen.

BerryBerryShrew

Profligate, but otherwise played well tonight. Up for the battle and really helped Dalot defensively.

Great pick out for Sabitzer for Rashy's goal as well.

Idxomer

He was having a great game till the goal and then decided to be a very poor man's Arjen Robben for the rest of the night.

Stop shooting when it isn't working you doofus.

SirScholes

It's important to keep it factual. 15 million is a fair chunk of change, point withstanding.

Antony showed tonight he is very important for our shape especially defensively. He deserves time to improve.
I’m not going in on him, but i am sick of hearing at least our “85 mil” winger is good defensively
Couldn’t hit a barn door but atleast he was trying something today and had a part in the goal

HookedOnAPhelan

Our most underrated player. I mean that with every inch of my dick.

Never gets any credit for keeping the ball under pressure, and never gets any credit for his defensive work. Or for playing a key role in the goal. Because "he doesn't beat his man!!!11"

M Bison

Supports
York City
He’ll end up an important part of the squad imo, I think it’ll click. He’s not brilliant but isn’t bad either and performs an important role in the squad.

adamwest

Don't get the hate with this guy. We're a much better side with him in it. Did very well defensively tonight.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Doesn’t all come off for him but I like him tbh, the potential is there.

PoTMS

He's so meh. Being average or better than Sancho isn't good enough. Spending €100m on him was shocking.

Abraxas

Defensively he was great today, really helped us out back there. Tidy on the ball and reliable to fire it into him.

But again, quite profligate in the final third which is a real theme with him. That has to improve.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Defensively he was great today, really helped us out back there. Tidy on the ball and reliable to fire it into him.

But again, quite profligate in the final third which is a real theme with him. That has to improve.
Agree with this, we need more but he's a good player.

Tapori

He can already cut inside and shoot with his left. He needs a Tony Valencia masterclass.
I know what you mean buty he really can't shoot conistently. The cut and shoot master would sort it out.
For Valencia style coaching, you need a left-footer that can teach him to go on the outside right wing channels.

MadMike

Yeah. I got tired of seeing him take shots from everywhere that ended nowhere near the target.

Malone_Post

He’s just not that good. Just doesn’t have the talent to be an elite player. A winger that doesn’t score, doesn’t assist & can’t beat a man is never going to be a top player.

People who think keeping possession and working hard defensively is enough to be a winger for Manchester United need to go back and watch some of our wingers of old. Or just go and watch the likes of Saka, Mahrez, Salah etc to see what a top winger looks like.

redcucumber

Our most underrated player. I mean that with every inch of my dick.

Never gets any credit for keeping the ball under pressure, and never gets any credit for his defensive work. Or for playing a key role in the goal. Because "he doesn't beat his man!!!11"
That bit of defending around the 72 minute mark was unreal. They were progressing the ball towards our corner flag, Antony and Varane dispossessed them and Antony managed to work the ball out and it started an attack. It was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.