5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole90+3

His lack of creativity from isolated positions is a problem. He and Sancho would bushels benefit from over lapping full backs but what winger wouldn’t? £80m I’d expect him to at least be able to beat the odd defender and deliver a nice cross.

That being said, I thought he did play well last night considering the entire attack was flaccid. The link up play in our own half at the end of the game was a joy to watch.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
For a winger you never really fancy him to beat his man and his pace isn’t all that either. With his shooting being his best asset, I assumed he’ll end up making the familiar transition to a No.9 sooner or later but after last night…

If only we could move the goals two metres to the left.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
For a winger you never really fancy him to beat his man and his pace isn’t all that either. With his shooting being his best asset, I assumed he’ll end up making the familiar transition to a No.9 sooner or later but after last night…

If only we could move the goals two metres to the left.
Weirdly I think he'd beat his man if he was on the leg wing. His close control with the left foot is really good, better than Rashford. But he has to cut in so it's easy to read.

careca07

Disaster of a signing, only a matter of time before he is farmed out for a fraction of the price. Problem is we will wait too long and that will cost us.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Very good at keeping the ball and tactically intersting.

Still need to improve his creativity
He needs to figure out how to make a yard for himself both ways and put a ball in. He has the whole drop deep and get involved in short passing moves going for him but the ability to go either way and pick out a team mate would elevate him

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He needs to figure out how to make a yard for himself both ways and put a ball in. He has the whole drop deep and get involved in short passing moves going for him but the ability to go either way and pick out a team mate would elevate him
He would still need to make a pass/cross and he rarely does that well.
Imo he's lacking in too many areas to ever be an effective winger for us. He's ok as a right midfielder if ETH wants to play that way.

IRONTUSK

Thought his general play last night was decent....but his shooting 9/10 is pretty dire.
Is it just me or does he not seem to kick the ball properly? it`s like he is trying to stroke it for speed but loses lot`s of power (i`m aware he may be trying for accuracy but that doesn`t seem to be working).
Even when he passes it he seems to underpower his kick....there was a pass he played into Rashford which did get to him but it seemed to crawl there and just about make it.

Woziak

Very good at keeping the ball and tactically intersting.

Still need to improve his creativity
He still has no assists this season which I find bizarre for a wide man. 7 goals from 32 games all comps is ok, works hard for the team however he needs a lot of improvement.

It’s not age because saka is younger than him, Antony is currently a long way behind Mahrez, Saka and Salah, I’d say his performances are similar to Leon Bailey so he has a lot of improving to do to justify that huge investment.

Skills

Snitch
It's crazy how many shots he takes per game. He's in the 88th percentile for shots per game, while only in the 60th percentile for goals.

Needs a bit of a reality check, that he's not the second coming of Ronaldo.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I really can't see him being any better than this which would have him as one of our worst signings considering the price

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He would still need to make a pass/cross and he rarely does that well.
Imo he's lacking in too many areas to ever be an effective winger for us. He's ok as a right midfielder if ETH wants to play that way.
That’s true. His short passing to those around him is quite good but he doesn’t really find a target much. Yesterdays was a good sign, nice looping ball that created the opening.

Jeffthered

Give the lad a chance, he is only 22, in his first season, in the best league in the world.
This has become the Man Utd narrative pretty much since SAF. It's apologetic, ambiguous and is only relevant when you know you have a player of undoubted ability and potential.

Antony has shown nothing except being a player with extremely limited potential. His best performance was a 20 min spell when he played central away at the mighty Notts Forest in the Cup.

For £100m (which is relevant) we have received v little. Three Premiership goals and not a single assist in the Premiership is quite awful for a forward... not midfielder, a forward.

Garnacho has potential. Malacia has potential. Antony?? No idea. None. Looks an average player in a footie market that is actually quite forgiving and rather lucrative for average players.

buckooo1978

at times I think there's something about him. Found himself in some good situations but his shooting was off

other times Im completely underwhelmed.

Think he's a less gifted Nani based on what we've seen and hoping there is more to come

flappyjay

This has become the Man Utd narrative pretty much since SAF. It's apologetic, ambiguous and is only relevant when you know you have a player of undoubted ability and potential.

Antony has shown nothing except being a player with extremely limited potential. His best performance was a 20 min spell when he played central away at the mighty Notts Forest in the Cup.

For £100m (which is relevant) we have received v little. Three Premiership goals and not a single assist in the Premiership is quite awful for a forward... not midfielder, a forward.

Garnacho has potential. Malacia has potential. Antony?? No idea. None. Looks an average player in a footie market that is actually quite forgiving and rather lucrative for average players.
Martial, Jones, Sancho, Bailly, smalling, J lingz, Andreas, Tuanzebe, januzaj etc Rashford and Shaw are the only success of the wait approach so far.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

Firstly, he cost £82m.

Secondly, I am not saying he has been underwhelming , because he has, but I would understand writing him off if he was 3 seasons in, but being young in your first season for the club is far too soon. He deserves to be given more time, especially when there are a lot of other players that have been here for years that are still underwhelming. He deserves more of a chance than Martial, Fred, Lindelof, Maguire, AWB, Sancho.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Created the chance for the goal, created another good chance for McTominay to score. Had a few good shooting opportunities, at least one decent cross for Rashford slightly overhit.

Worked his ass off, kept the ball well. Is it a 100M performance, no, but that was never his fault. That's because we'd either be playing Elanga or Pellistri there all season, and we are a much better team with him than without as he understands what EtH needs from a winger better than most.

Did we overpay yes, is he going to become better, also likely yes. There were few better options we could have gone for.

Some of you guys are really insufferable.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Martial, Jones, Sancho, Bailly, smalling, J lingz, Andreas, Tuanzebe, januzaj etc Rashford and Shaw are the only success of the wait approach so far.
And most of them played 5 plus seasons at the club.

Are you just going to ignore the fact that for players that we didn't give time to, they were also shite. Giving players time or not is irrelevant because giving players patience and signing ready made players has pretty much gone the same way.

Pronewbie

Peep
Created the chance for the goal, created another good chance for McTominay to score. Had a few good shooting opportunities, at least one decent cross for Rashford slightly overhit.

Worked his ass off, kept the ball well. Is it a 100M performance, no, but that was never his fault. That's because we'd either be playing Elanga or Pellistri there all season, and we are a much better team with him than without as he understands what EtH needs from a winger better than most.

Did we overpay yes, is he going to become better, also likely yes. There were few better options we could have gone for.

Some of you guys are really insufferable.
Yes.

I still like him. He works very hard and keeps the ball well. He has shown he has the ability to take on a man but he looks like he is scared to lose the ball and end up the wrong side of his man, so he never fully commits to a dribble. ETH needs to either give him the freedom to try it or have the fullbacks provide more support on the overlap.

Last night Dalot was playing long balls from deep down the channel so when Antony gets there he is very isolated. Nobody runs beyond him and we don't have a natural 9 for him to pick out, so he's left with a cut back or try to do it all himself. Very few players in world football can do something with that situation.

Jeffthered

Give the lad a chance, he is only 22, in his first season, in the best league in the world.

Firstly, he cost £82m.

Secondly, I am not saying he has been underwhelming , because he has, but I would understand writing him off if he was 3 seasons in, but being young in your first season for the club is far too soon. He deserves to be given more time, especially when there are a lot of other players that have been here for years that are still underwhelming. He deserves more of a chance than Martial, Fred, Lindelof, Maguire, AWB, Sancho.
What do you see in Antony as a player?

We have a bit of a fan base which seems to be apologetic, and I don't understand that. This isn't personal, think objectively about Antony.

Let me ask this: Would you be happy if we accepted Antony as one of our three forwards, or would you hope we look to improve? Because I sure hope we can get two forwards in as soon as possible. Just watch us play. If that's worth 'waiting' for, good luck with that.

If we want Manchester United to be better, then changes need to be made. In attitude, and in quality. I'm not sure whether Antony has improved Manchester United in either of these areas. And yes, 'young' players can do this!

Again, look at Garnacho.

RedIan

I think we look a better team with him playing than when he is absent. He receives and holds the ball well and can link up with the fullback and 10 well.
However he is clearly very limited. Cant beat a man with pace or trickery. He beats a full back on average once every five games.
His one trick of cutting inside and curling a shot on goal fails 9/10 times. Overall a big disappointment.

UpWithRivers

He's been awful attacking wise. He's the RW Weghorst. He works hard and can keep the ball by making simple passes backwards and sideways. So what. Lets just be honest and say he's nowhere near a United level RW. Cant cross. Has no right foot. Cant play through balls. Cant take free kicks/corners. Cant shoot except for cut inside and curl. Rarely swaps positioning with other players. People say he has a brilliant left foot. No he doesn't. Beckham had a brilliant Right foot. Giggs had a brilliant left foot. A wand of a foot. If you are going to be one footed then you better have a wand of a foot not just use it to curl shots from the edge of the box. Cant assist. Cant long ball. Cant do sht attacking wise.

Now people will say yeah but we win with him in the team and he's the best RW we have. Sure but you can say the same about Wout as a striker. Sht we can even do Barca with Wout in the team. Heck even play Wout as a 10 and still win. That doesn't mean they are great players. They are functional players that can do a job and occasionally offer something attacking wise. But they are nowhere near the level they should be for United players. Thats just a fact.

Ill give Antony more time because he's young and its his first season. But that doesnt change the fact he has been sht apart from his defensive duties just like Wout

And dont get me started on the amount of shots he takes at the edge of the box. Any other player would be shouted at and subbed if they kept doing it. Keane would have punched him in the face by now. Sure it looks brilliant when 1 of 30 shots goes in but thats not how football works. Every player can take long shots over and over and eventually one will go in.

Fabio Rochemback

Even Robben, who was about as one-footed as a top level player comes, was decent at clipping a looped cross to the back post. I don't think I've ever seen Antony do that. IIRC Robben didn't really start doing it until he was at Bayern so I guess he can still learn.

ShinjiNinja26

He really needs to find some consistency in his shooting. Scores the odd worldie from outside the box but most of the time he can’t hit a barn door. Although our finishing is terrible in general for anyone that isn’t Rashford.

glasgow 21

He still has no assists this season which I find bizarre for a wide man. 7 goals from 32 games all comps is ok, works hard for the team however he needs a lot of improvement.

It’s not age because saka is younger than him, Antony is currently a long way behind Mahrez, Saka and Salah, I’d say his performances are similar to Leon Bailey so he has a lot of improving to do to justify that huge investment.
Yeah he assisted Casemiro's goal against Reading but its only Reading so that doesn't count ?

tomaldinho1

I really like him. A few games ago I wanted to see him crossing more - he did a lovely cross that McT volleyed over and made the goal. Defensively he was solid. Does he have stuff to work on, of course.

Part of me wonders if people just think the grass is always greener (realistically who could we sign that is an obvious RW improvement?) or if people just don’t really care how a team game works (you can’t have 2 x Rashford’s on each flank, you’d get countered into oblivion).

If we take this as a debut season and forget everything relevant and just look at his stats, he’s been underwhelming. If we look at the team as a whole and everything he brings outside of stats I’d say he’s been great. Someone posted the stats of the first season of Salah, Mahrez etc earlier and they were crap (statistically), I’m excited to see his development.

Matt851

A leftie Valencia.

Even when not outstanding they will give you a fight and that’s a base requirement for any winger. When G/A is taken off the list generally their performances are inconsistent. So having a solid base will serve him well.

Good game from him
Except valencia was massive, rapid and could cross

red.knight

Anthony rarely impresses me when I've watched him. There's the odd flash where you can see he's clearly a skillful player but that makes it harder to understand when he's so ineffective. Not sure what Ten Hag sees in him, but i didn't watch Ajax. 7 shots and none on target ??? Nowhere near worth 84 million, but it's better than Sancho, or wasting Rashford out there.

Matt851

I really like him. A few games ago I wanted to see him crossing more - he did a lovely cross that McT volleyed over and made the goal. Defensively he was solid. Does he have stuff to work on, of course.

Part of me wonders if people just think the grass is always greener (realistically who could we sign that is an obvious RW improvement?) or if people just don’t really care how a team game works (you can’t have 2 x Rashford’s on each flank, you’d get countered into oblivion).

If we take this as a debut season and forget everything relevant and just look at his stats, he’s been underwhelming. If we look at the team as a whole and everything he brings outside of stats I’d say he’s been great. Someone posted the stats of the first season of Salah, Mahrez etc earlier and they were crap (statistically), I’m excited to see his development.
His stats were average in Holland too. There is nothing to really suggest he can be a top player beyond the fact we spent a ludicrous amount of money on him

Bondi77

Once we have our full roster on deck next season It will be interesting to see who nails down the RW spot.

dove

I think we should stop expecting him to become something he will never be. He will never beat players, heck even Varane looked more likely to go past his opponent and create something the couple times he ended up on the right wing yesterday than Antony ever did. He has other qualities (I guess?) but it's really sad we have wasted over £150m on him and Sancho.

OT_United

Based on him rarely creating anything not being able to cross and mostly slowing us down as he only has one foot?
What you think we're a better team without Antony?
Those three things are true but I don't get your point.

HookedOnAPhelan

Yeah that’s not how it works.

When Salah was 23 he had just flopped for Chelsea and went to Serie A for 2 1/2 years, before signing for Liverpool at 25.
Mahrez signed for Leicester in the Championship at 23 (having only played Ligue 2 for Le Havre, with unimpressive stats), but only registered 4 goals and 3 assists in 30 apps in his first season in the PL, when he turned 24, and didn’t become a star player until 15/16, when he turned 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.