5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I honestly think he has had a decent start to his United career for a 22 year old who didn't have a pre season with the team.

Dominos

I don't think it's that simple. Robben or Di Maria could have been close to Ballons d'or had they used their right foot more (even if they did a tiny bit), they just couldn't do it consistently even if I'm pretty sure they had good coaches that tried to work on that. So Antony either needs to improve his right foot or be so good at something else that it makes up for that flaw (outside of the foot passes for exemple, or Rabonas).
Robben and Di Maria would take the outside though if the defender left it open for them.

You don't need a strong weak foot to go on the outside, look at Rashford's 2 assists vs Everton. I don't believe any winger can't roll the ball across the 6 yard box.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I honestly think he has had a decent start to his United career for a 22 year old who didn't have a pre season with the team.
He has. He's not setting the world on fire, and he's made a good few mistakes, but has also shown plenty of signs of real quality and has brilliant workrate. The games when he was injured before the World Cup where the right hand side of our attack just ceased to exist again show how important he actually is to us already.

People just expect him to immediately look like prime Robben because we paid big money, and it doesn't always work like that.

For perspective, the only other seriously mooted alternative we had for him, Raphinha, has scored a grand total of 2 goals for Barca and is riding their bench.

OrcaFat

He will be fine, he's producing, his game was never as direct as Garnoacho or Rashford. We can be happy that we have that variety. He's mostly a palyer who retain possession works his way up with clever passes and strikes when there's a good opportunity, not trying to go past players every attack. which might disaappoint people but that gives us a bit more control in general and his impact will change with more confidence and more runners around him.
Couldn’t agree more. He’s still getting going and has never quite looked match fit but has shown several glimpses of top quality. I think he’ll add a few more dimensions to his game as he develops (which he surely will). He’s not the finished article yet.

Even so, since he’s been here, he’s already scored goals and shown skill that 99% of pro footballers will never match in their whole careers.

I’m not saying this to be negative but he looks nervous to me. He looks like he hasn’t settled into his new life. This is not surprising to me, he’s just a boy and a long way from home. I have a feeling we won’t see him at his current maximum for a few more months.

DeeDee7

Needs to find his feet and work on his game, absolutely. Buts its a new league, new team and he came in late, and different style of oppositions. Sure alot of his end product is frustrating. At Ajax he had his Right Back bombing outside of him alot, he needs time to gel more in attack with Dalot ect.
But 5 goals in 16 games. Some important ones too. Fits our pressing and defensive structure to a tee. Hes doing more then enough to buy himself time.

Ronaldo Albeit younger took 2 full seasons in england to surpass double figure goals.

El Jefe

21 Average.

I'm tempted to say that I've seen enough and label him a dud. Many parts of his attacking game are so underdeveloped, you'd think he was 15 but he's 23 next month.

A poster mentioned it earlier but he might be the worse player I've ever seen with the ball in a counter attack. I don't think we've completed a successful counter when he's leading the attack, he's either too slow and lets the defence come back in shape or fecks up the final pass.

He couldn't even dribble Charlton players today, meanwhile on the other side 18yo Garnacho was making swiss cheese of their right back. He can't dribble or create. People complain about him being one-footed but that's not much of an issue for me, my main gripe is that the foot he's supposed to be good with isn't even impressive.

We've paid £84m for Erik Lamela.

Last edited:

Samoerai Jack

We win this game easily because Antony breaks it open. You can't underestimate that.

Besides that, I noticed that Antony constantly opens up for a left footed cross to the second post, where there is never any player to be seen. Having watched Ajax quite a bit, it might not surprise you that there always was a player at the back post, either Haller or Huntelaar or even Traoré. Not to mention Tadic or Berghuis or Brobbey. It's the main reason why Antony's play has been so confusing. He looks for a target in the box and there just isn't any, and then he ends up playing the ball back. I imagine Weghorst might change things for the better.

The other thing Antony loves to do is make short, quick passes into the area. He looked for a few of those today, unfortunately his companions weren't up for it. I can remember Fred being too slow on the uptake, McTominay never came up, and Elanga and Mainoo were nowhere to be seen. It's one of the reasons why I wouldn't mind Eriksen further up the pitch as he is a master at that sort of thing.

Honestly, and quite worryingly, this all reminds me of van de Beek, who still relies on his Ajax instincts. On the other hand, if United succeeds in playing more like Ajax, Antony will magically start to look much better.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Pellistri is a better winger than him.
I’m a sucker for a direct winger, his cameo gave us everything we want to see in a RW tonight but I’m not sure people are ready for that discussion yet.

RuudTom83

We should have all learnt by now that you can’t write a player off after half a season.

All I want to see is him affecting games…and he does that! He is always a treat on goal and when he doesn’t play the RW is invisible.

He will naturally improve so for the next 2-3 seasons just enjoy the ride.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don't think it's that simple. Robben or Di Maria could have been close to Ballons d'or had they used their right foot more (even if they did a tiny bit), they just couldn't do it consistently even if I'm pretty sure they had good coaches that tried to work on that. So Antony either needs to improve his right foot or be so good at something else that it makes up for that flaw (outside of the foot passes for exemple, or Rabonas).
Exactly that; it doesn't matter that he doesn't use his right foot, but he has to be exceptional with his left to compensate, which he doesn't seem to be.

Quite obvious he needs a constant overlapping full-back, also.

Stacks

I’m a sucker for a direct winger, his cameo gave us everything we want to see in a RW tonight but I’m not sure people are ready for that discussion yet.
They are not ready yet. Everyone knows the best wide players have typically caused havoc on the opposition by direct running but they want to pretend it's not important anymore. Even De Bruyne could knock it past people when he played wide. OT wants to get off its feet

Valencia Shin Crosses

Robben and Di Maria would take the outside though if the defender left it open for them.

You don't need a strong weak foot to go on the outside, look at Rashford's 2 assists vs Everton. I don't believe any winger can't roll the ball across the 6 yard box.
It's more that he doesn't seem comfortable even trying to dribble on that side. Tough to go on the outside if you always need the ball on your left.

It's a pressing issue because he's talented and clearly has good technique, but if ETH can't fix that then he's always going to be a bit of a one trick pony. People are think Amad won't push him next year are nuts

Abraxas

Unbelievable goal. He's kind of been the opposite of what I expected in that he has been quite productive but some of his play has left a lot to be desired. I thought he'd be the opposite, when you think Brazilian winger you think insane ability, dribbling, flair and with his record in Holland I didn't think he'd find his goalscoring boots in England very quickly. However this was undoubtedly just my misunderstanding of the player. He seems more like a link man with an eye for goal.

Let's see how he develops. I have a feeling the price tag is what is causing a lot of people to feel underwhelmed, but it's not that important to whether he's a good and useful player. It's something that at some point you just have to let go as he may or may not have the ability to perfectly justify it but it doesn't mean he can't be good.

zenith

A fit Sancho and amad will provide immense competition for him. Might be hard for him to keep his place if he remains this one dimensional, though I'm inclined as a fan to be patient and see what he can do in a fully acclimated season.

croadyman

A fit Sancho and amad will provide immense competition for him. Might be hard for him to keep his place if he remains this one dimensional, though I'm inclined as a fan to be patient and see what he can do in a fully acclimated season.
Yeah definitely has to add that ability to beat a player if he wants to make that RW spot his

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Flood the left side, everyone goes to the left to bait the opponents. Once there's only one or two near Antony, pass the ball to Antony so he can shoot with his left foot. Do it at least 10 times in a match. Profit.

Jeffthered

All I want to see is him affecting games…and he does that! He is always a treat on goal and when he doesn’t play the RW is invisible.

He will naturally improve so for the next 2-3 seasons just enjoy the ride.
[/QUOTE]

This is the problem. We still, even after ten years of buying people who have flattered to deceive, some of our fans still are happy to see Manchester United be happy with average players.

Antony is an average player. One-dimensional, and does not know how to apply whatever 'skills' he has.

And this term skill, I question whether some know what that means. Tricks, and manipulation of a football, without knowing how to effectively and consistently apply your skills, are not the attributes of a skillful football player.

Modric. CR7, Zlatan, Neymar, Messi, De Bruyne.. these players have skill. Mahrez and Saka also, to a lesser degree of course. Rashford is now consistently applying his skills.

Antony is way, way off those levels, and it isn't his age. He seems to be learning what being skillful means. Seems some fans are also learning. Don't always believe the hype.

I really like what ETH is doing, and I can see why we need such a player there, but I do feel he may have expected more from Antony. A lot more.

Bert_

Is he though? He has five goals and no assists in 15 games. That’s nowhere near productive enough for how ordinary he is in all round play.
1 in 3 for a winger ain't bad. Especially considering he joined when the season was well underway.

Joint 2nd highest goal scorer atm ;)

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Robben was shite until he reached his prime
This is absolute nonsense. He was not far off his prime in his first season at Chelsea. Then he had years of injuries/loss of form. He was tearing things up at Chelsea.

Malone_Post

21 Average.

I'm tempted to say that I've seen enough and label him a dud. Many parts of his attacking game are so underdeveloped, you'd think he was 15 but he's 23 next month.

A poster mentioned it earlier but he might be the worse player I've ever seen with the ball in a counter attack. I don't think we've completed a successful counter when he's leading the attack, he's either too slow and lets the defence come back in shape or fecks up the final pass.

He couldn't even dribble Charlton players today, meanwhile on the other side 18yo Garnacho was making swiss cheese of their right back. He can't dribble or create. People complain about him being one-footed but that's not much of an issue for me, my main gripe is that the foot he's supposed to be good with isn't even impressive.

You’ll get pelters for this but you’re far closer to the truth then the ‘give him time crowd’.

Yes, you want to give new/young players time to find their best form, and reach their potential, but when a player has such an obvious defect in their game, realistically how good can they ever truly be? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a winger so unable to beat a man. It’s actually ridiculous how inept he is one on one. How good can a winger ever be if he lacks such a fundamental part of the game? He was up against league 1 opposition today & he still couldn’t get past his defender. I’m sorry, but it’s just not good enough.

Also, the one footedness is absolutely ridiculous. That moment where he turned down an opportunity to cross it across the box & instead turned back onto his left foot, completely killing the attack was absolutely unacceptable. And it’s not the first time he’s killed promising attacks because he’s had to work it onto his left foot. In fact it’s becoming quite a common theme, especially on counter attacks.

Incredible goal mind. That’s one weapon in his armoury that he’s certainly got. That alone though won’t be enough. And as of yet, he’s shown absolutely nothing else to frighten defenders.

Last edited:

sepulturite

21 Average.

:houllier: what utter drivel

Rossa

Are we judging him on the type of player we thought and wanted him to be instead of the player he is? He isn't a young Giggs, Kanschelskis, Nani or Ronaldo. He plays a completely different game. He stays wide, is great at receiving the ball, finding pockets of space for himself and for his fullback. However, he needs to take on his man more. I think the reason that doesn't work is because he slows to a complete stop. That way, the defender can settle and prepare for both ways. If he instead runs at pace but then stops a little or accelerates more, you often put the defender off. Ronaldo was absolutely brilliant at it - Giggs didn't need it, and he did the zigzag thing instead making them dizzy, and Nani was also very capable. Even the physical beast that was Antonio Valencia would often stop a little and then accelerate, which is difficult for the defender to follow. If he can mix that up with going on the outside and inside, he will become much more efficient. Even Robben mixed it up a little.

Highfather_24

The reverse Antonio Valencia? Seems to be more a goalscorer than a creator, which is again, the opposite of Valencia.

De_BoerAjax

Supports
Ajax
I think Ten Hag told him to play everything back in the two matches that doesnt matter so that he can go outside against Man City and Arsenal. They never expect it and get absolutely run over. :devil:

NoPace

This is easily in a top 5 of the worst threads in this place.
Yeah it's terrible. I want him to start beating his man too, but he's doing fine overall for a 22 year old winger moving up to a higher level. Won the game with a great goal today.

He'd be getting more assists to match his goals with a more predatory #9. Probably the player suffering the most from that issue.

Real Name

Yeah it's terrible. I want him to start beating his man too, but he's doing fine overall for a 22 year old winger moving up to a higher level. Won the game with a great goal today.

He'd be getting more assists to match his goals with a more predatory #9. Probably the player suffering the most from that issue.
Absolutely, he's been solid. Could add more to his game but he's been at the club for what 4 months and he's being called a dud, shit, average and what not. He's just a different type of player compared to Garnacho for example yet you have pople saying Pellistri is better based on one game. People were expecting him going all guns blazing beating his mane all game long but he's a different kind of player and for a player in a new club and in a new, tough leage he's been absolutely fine.

As I said previously I've never seen player being so unwelcomed here. Maybe it's due to the price but in any case it's a bit crazy.

Davie Moyes

Are we judging him on the type of player we thought and wanted him to be instead of the player he is? He isn't a young Giggs, Kanschelskis, Nani or Ronaldo. He plays a completely different game. He stays wide, is great at receiving the ball, finding pockets of space for himself and for his fullback. However, he needs to take on his man more. I think the reason that doesn't work is because he slows to a complete stop. That way, the defender can settle and prepare for both ways. If he instead runs at pace but then stops a little or accelerates more, you often put the defender off. Ronaldo was absolutely brilliant at it - Giggs didn't need it, and he did the zigzag thing instead making them dizzy, and Nani was also very capable. Even the physical beast that was Antonio Valencia would often stop a little and then accelerate, which is difficult for the defender to follow. If he can mix that up with going on the outside and inside, he will become much more efficient. Even Robben mixed it up a little.
Your opening line basically sums it all up with what the issue is. Like the fella above said this is one of the worst threads on the Cafe and mainly because there are so many hating on Antony due to not having watched him before and him not being the type of player they expected.

Davie Moyes

Absolutely, he's been solid. Could add more to his game but he's been at the club for what 4 months and he's being called a dud, shit, average and what not. He's just a different type of player compared to Garnacho for example yet you have pople saying Pellistri is better based on one game. People were expecting him going all guns blazing beating his mane all game long but he's a different kind of player and for a player in a new club and in a new, tough leage he's been absolutely fine.

As I said previously I've never seen player being so unwelcomed here. Maybe it's due to the price but in any case it's a bit crazy.
I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.