2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

cyberman

It wasn’t a very good display. Perhaps you have forgotten what a very good display looks like. Maybe it was a ‘very good display’ when adjusted for general expectation of Antony. It was better than usual though for sure.

His game has no structure, and remains too random. He does too many strange things on a football pitch, and did so yesterday again. Nobody knows what he’s going to do. A little more worked than usual in the sense that he created one chance and forced one good save, but other than that - more poor choices and poor execution.
Antony isn’t random at all. He couldn’t be further from random if he tried. I’d also argue everyone knows exactly what he’s going to do every time he has the ball.
Your summary is so wide of the mark here I actually suspect you have him confused with someone else. Antony would go a long way if he added predictability to his game

Lyng

Another untruth. In yesterday’s game he completed 84% of his passes. He lost the ball less through bad passes than Eriksen did.

Good summary. There’s a lot he needs to improve but it’s pretty obvious he’s already an asset to the team. He’s young enough he can suddenly turn a corner and become a lot more productive. If that happens then he’s been a good signing, if not he’ll be the latest in a long list of bad ones. Either way, writing him off already is stupid.

He’s in the firing line because he cost so much and people are generally unhappy with the progress under a manager who pushed hard to sign him. So opinions about him are heavily biased. C’est la vie.
Eriksen does a lot more dangerous passes than Antony. Antony's passing is usually save but even then he loses the ball. You could use Bruno as example. His pass % is also low but its because he does riskier and more creative passes. Antony doesnt.

You see him as a asset which is fair, and correct in some regards, but it depends what you want from your attackers. He is an asset in the same way Weghorst was an asset, defensively.
Thats not what I personally want from my frontline.
I dont care about his price. I care about his output and his output per 90 is woeful compared to top wingers in the clubs we are competing with.

Wal2Fra

I think he has had a good start to the season.

Already looking to take players on down the right, which led to a great chance this weekend and will have to keep defenders on their toes.

With a proper striker he will benefit even when he cuts inside. He gets plenty of pace on the ball with his left so swinging thr ball in towards goal with a striker ready to pounce will cause chaos for defenders and the keeper.

Also AWB is looking more solid going forward and they seem to be building a bit of a connection which opens up the space for 1 or the other (or both)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think he has had a good start to the season.

Already looking to take players on down the right, which led to a great chance this weekend and will have to keep defenders on their toes.

With a proper striker he will benefit even when he cuts inside. He gets plenty of pace on the ball with his left so swinging thr ball in towards goal with a striker ready to pounce will cause chaos for defenders and the keeper.

Also AWB is looking more solid going forward and they seem to be building a bit of a connection which opens up the space for 1 or the other (or both)
I am generally making the distinction between AWB and proper overlapping FB’s, but there was definitely more of the tenets of that kind of FB in their combination play yesterday, which was nice to see. Add a dynamic striker interacting with both on that channel and the potential for the team dynamic to shift is massive as spaces will invariably open for the LWF and anyone else encroaching from the left. A playmaking wide-man’s worth should show exponential growth the more options he has to interact and move off of or with. It goes for Amad, Sancho and Antony; all of them will have optimal conditions to then make their impression on the te and the manager.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I am generally making the distinction between AWB and proper overlapping FB’s, but there was definitely more of the tenets of that kind of FB in their combination play yesterday, which was nice to see. Add a dynamic striker interacting with both on that channel and the potential for the team dynamic to shift is massive as spaces will invariably open for the LWF and anyone else encroaching from the left. A playmaking wide-man’s worth should show exponential growth the more options he has to interact and move off of or with. It goes for Amad, Sancho and Antony; all of them will have optimal conditions to then make their impression on the te and the manager.
Why would you ever need more than one of those players though? If they can't create for each other then their use is limited. End of the day they all need to show they can get goals and assists, that's the only way they're getting their place in the team.

Marcus

Antony is going to shine this season. He came into the league, showed his abilities and got sussed out pretty quickly. If he switches it up and uses his right foot sometimes (which he did for the Bruno chance), defenders are going to have a hard time.

Ludens the Red

Another untruth. In yesterday’s game he completed 84% of his passes. He lost the ball less through bad passes than Eriksen did.

Good summary. There’s a lot he needs to improve but it’s pretty obvious he’s already an asset to the team. He’s young enough he can suddenly turn a corner and become a lot more productive. If that happens then he’s been a good signing, if not he’ll be the latest in a long list of bad ones. Either way, writing him off already is stupid.

He’s in the firing line because he cost so much and people are generally unhappy with the progress under a manager who pushed hard to sign him. So opinions about him are heavily biased. C’est la vie.
Technically and historically speaking it isn’t. Not writing him off would actually be stupid and against the general end result of signings like him.
Jadon Sancho, Timo Werner , Pepe, Kai Havertz, Naby Keita, the list goes on of players who’ve come from weaker leagues for huge money and failed to make instant impact. Historically they don’t turn it around in their second season or ever. Can’t think of one player since Suarez who’s been able to come good in similar circs. Whereas look at the impact made first season by the likes of Bruno, Halaand, Salah, Aubemeyang.
I know that doesn’t mean there cant be an exception to the rule. But based on the evidence we have the more likely end result is that Antony will never come good…

lex talionis

That's the ticket guys. With fans like this, who needs rivals to shit on our players...
So a real fan should just smile and applaud every performance, regardless of the quality of the performance?

We ground out the narrow win over a relegation scrapper, which is great, but it’s not great that our front line was poor yet again.

glasgow 21

So a real fan should just smile and applaud every performance, regardless of the quality of the performance?

We ground out the narrow win over a relegation scrapper, which is great, but it’s not great that our front line was poor yet again.
How many time does one have to say we don't have a front line. We haven't had a striker for how long? and if you mention Martial then the conversation is over. Let's see how everyone reacts when we have an actual NO.9 bedded in. You may end up being right but until then any judgement is tainted.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Why would you ever need more than one of those players though? If they can't create for each other then their use is limited. End of the day they all need to show they can get goals and assists, that's the only way they're getting their place in the team.
Sancho can play across the whole attacking third, and prior to coming here was putting up goal contribution numbers that are mostly unheard of for his age; at his best, you’d find a way to get him in the team, not only for those goal contributions but also the knitting of play during the build up and also in concluding it. He’s different gravy from the other two in terms of pedigree.

Amad, it seems like we have no real plan for, but if Rashford and Garnacho are our cavalier left, then the right flank definitely has the more considered type who should be interchangeable, which would be where Amad might be a direct understudy or challenger for Antony’s exact role, so if we do actually see those two share PT once Amad is fit, there’s definitely a method there despite my feeling to the contrary.

All three of them should be the best combination players at the club; they should be doing amazingly technical and intuitive things between themselves in training, so any two from the three fielding in close proximity (false #9 & wide playmaker, for example) would be our best shot at the kind of intricate football we rarely see (last was a fit Martial chaining with Rashford) here, but mostly it’s three of them contesting for the one spot, I think.

As I said to @Skills previously: I just don’t think goal contributions are the be all and end all for these types. Having someone who can constantly probe whilst retaining the ball opens so much more of the pitch up for everyone else to make direct runs or ghosting ones into. It’s an invaluable quality and players who are great at it are like gold dust.

lex talionis

How many time does one have to say we don't have a front line. We haven't had a striker for how long? and if you mention Martial then the conversation is over. Let's see how everyone reacts when we have an actual NO.9 bedded in. You may end up being right but until then any judgement is tainted.
You don’t have to say it to me. I’ve noted several times over the last few days that we’ve been playing with 10 men when we start Rashford or Martial up top.

Still, even with a crocked Martial Rashford put in a solid shift — to assists and won the pen — but Antony was still running into the same brick walls he ran into all last season.

Artimities

I thought overall Antony's performance against Forest was good. He finally went right instead of left. He was really close to scoring and he had some really nice link up play. Once we get a consistent proper striker ... I can see Rashford and Antony getting more goals. Our offense isnt clicking yet, but its not Antony, its because we are incomplete atm.

Stig

Do our players actually train and practice to improve their weaknesses ?

I could have learnt in the year he has been with us to kick the ball with my 'other' foot. Same applies to Shaw.

Teja

He will be my new Fred. I def see what he brings and back him to succeed here.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
As I thought, he had a good game.
Yes he did, but it’s not fashionable yet to like Antony. He’s still in the whipping boy stage. I’ve been saying for ages that he makes us play better as a team and has a lot of potential to improve. He’s a good player. He had to improve his end pro duct and whether he will, no one knows - unless they have a crystal ball. But he’s been good for us and I see him steadily improving. His price isn’t his fault, and it should at some point become irrelevant to judging his performances. That should be done in merit.

Personally, I like him. He’s not a world beater yet, and may never become one. But I like a lot of what I see. What interests me more is how this collective learns how to function as a unit. And in that area, I feel he excels.

He clearly needs more variety to his game. To go both ways. He did that a little against forest. He can’t always cut inside because he doesn’t have that searing pace of Robben. But he’s young and learning and strikes me he’s very determined, passionate and a hard worker, and that bodes well for potential improvement.

Not asking people to see what isn’t there. Not asking them to say he’s a brilliant 85m player. He isn’t right now. But there is plenty to see there and like and appreciate. He’s made our right hand side a lot better.

Last edited:

El Jefe

Watching this confirms what I felt after the game. His last 60mins in this game was probably in his top 3 best attacking performances sinces he's been here.

While that's a positive that in itself is a problem because it wasn't that great of a performance.

His best was Forest away last season and now Forest at home is up there too. Not the most difficult teams are they. Before I'm told he scored vs Arsenal, City and Barcelona only the Barcelona game was a really good performance and that was him off the bench.

The offensive part of his game has been putrid, especially in the PL.

ArmaDino

You do know that a different name for a fan is a SUPPORTER. And guess what a supporter is supposed to do? He has to SUPPORT the players and the team.

While pointing out a poor performance is fine, the amount of abuse a 23 year old lad who switched leagues, cultures gets is absolutely insane.

If someone is a lazy feck and is here to collect a paycheck, then fine. But when someone is trying their best only for it not to come off while working their ass off gets lambasted to high heaven is what I have a problem with.

When I was growing up this was called bullying, but I guess this must be the modern day of how you are a "fan"

lex talionis

You do know that a different name for a fan is a SUPPORTER. And guess what a supporter is supposed to do? He has to SUPPORT the players and the team.

While pointing out a poor performance is fine, the amount of abuse a 23 year old lad who switched leagues, cultures gets is absolutely insane.

If someone is a lazy feck and is here to collect a paycheck, then fine. But when someone is trying their best only for it not to come off while working their ass off gets lambasted to high heaven is what I have a problem with.

When I was growing up this was called bullying, but I guess this must be the modern day of how you are a "fan"
Great advice. By your logic, we should have all supported Moyes no matter how far into the ground he drove us. We should support the Glazers, who give us the gift of their club ownership every day.

ArmaDino

Great advice. By your logic, we should have all supported Moyes no matter how far into the ground he drove us. We should support the Glazers, who give us the gift of their club ownership every day.
Please reread my post, as that is not what I am saying. I'm saying that the online harassment and bullying of our own team and manager is not warranted.

As for your post: Moyes didn't finish 3rd and end our trophy drought. He also didn't outplay Barcelona over the course of 2 legs. And there was nothing in his CV that would have landed hime the United job at the time.

And as far as I'm concerned, the Glazers have nothing to do with this debate. I was talking strictly about our manager, our players and the unwarranted abuse they get every time.

lex talionis

Please reread my post, as that is not what I am saying. I'm saying that the online harassment and bullying of our own team and manager is not warranted.

As for your post: Moyes didn't finish 3rd and end our trophy drought. He also didn't outplay Barcelona over the course of 2 legs. And there was nothing in his CV that would have landed hime the United job at the time.

And as far as I'm concerned, the Glazers have nothing to do with this debate. I was talking strictly about our manager, our players and the unwarranted abuse they get every time.
I join you in opposing and condemning the harassment of any human being, whether a footballer or a politician whose actions I find reprehensible. I wouldn’t even harass a convicted criminal.

This is a fan forum which welcomes divergent views, short of racial or other forms of personal abuse or that could potentially expose forum moderators to legal liability.

Now that that’s behind us, we are all free to praise or criticize players, managers, club officials, referees and league officials within reason. If someone is critical of a player’s performance, someone else is welcome to agree or disagree with that assessment and either explain or not explain why.

I actually like Antony, but in my opinion he needs to significantly improve his performances. If he doesn’t, so goes my opinion, we should consider giving first choice back to Sancho, then Pellistri and Amad, who, in a curious case of squad management, are all promising RW footballers but none of whom have done enough on the pitch to lock up the position as theirs. Again, my opinion. Others may differ and that’s ok.

Arsenal 3:1 Man Utd

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Serious question, can someone name one excellent forward in history of football who was bad at shooting, passing, crossing or heading the ball?

Before anyone says he is good or had a good game, ask yourself which position he plays and which attacking part of the game he did well?

Last edited:

Based Adnan

One of our better players. Only one capable in the forward line of holding onto the ball and did well defensively.

marktan

Badly need an upgrade on him if we're to beat good teams. He works very hard which is great. But on the ball he has two modes - threaten to run at his man but then inevitably pass back because he cant, or makes a pass that isnt the exact weight it needs to be.

He got the ball way more than Rashford and yet was probably 1/5th as threatening. He's a big reason why we seldom ever beat big teams.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Will be another post game where I come here to argue that this guy is rubbish against those who will then try to reinvent football and what a forward should do to claim that he isn’t. He’s too weak, and also dislikable. Thinks he’s Neymar, stupid backheels and elasticos that he can’t pull off to turn over the ball over and over.

Decent defensively and terrible offensively.

Telsim

Average.

He is excellent defensively and his work rate is outstanding.

But I don't think I have ever seen a winger that presents absolutely no threat whatsoever. Zero. Nada. It's like there's a black hole on that side of the pitch in the final third. Once attacks cross that event horizon, they cease to exist.

Maybe he can be transitioned to a full back? But then he can't cross at all, so...

avgp_1

TBH not a bad game from the lad, Doesnt have the physicality to play on the counter, did ok otherwise

zaafi

Average.

He is excellent defensively and his work rate is outstanding.

But I don't think I have ever seen a winger that presents absolutely no threat whatsoever. Zero. Nada. It's like there's a black hole on that side of the pitch in the final third. Once attacks cross that event horizon, they cease to exist.

Maybe he can be transitioned to a full back? But then he can't cross at all, so...
He was a very good crosser in Ajax, so yeah, he can. There's just no point when there's no presence in the box. Why would he?

Mr.Plow

If he was playing at RB, that would have been a good performance.

Superunknown

He's a defensive winger. He's actually pretty good at that side of things. Basically, we need two players to do the job of one on that side of the pitch, as he can't do the other half.

saivet

One of our better players. Only one capable in the forward line of holding onto the ball and did well defensively.
Have to agree but his decision making and execution makes a lot of that work a bit redundant. Ultimately his end product has to improve a lot, otherwise we've just ended up with a defensive winger for £90m.

Skills

Snitch
Watching him get the ball on the break is such a disappointing site