2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Mike Smalling

I have no idea how to assess the precise monetary worth of a footballer but there is no justification whatsoever for Antony commanding one of the highest transfer fees in football history. As for how to use Antony, a fundamental attribute of any winger is to be willing to take on a defender, beat that defender and then make a pass to a teammate. Antony struggles with this basic requirement of this position.

There is a decent footballer underneath his skin but he needs to develop his game beyond his predictable cut-left-and-shoot-from-distance move that makes him an easy mark for a defender. If he doesn't and he keeps being the predictable Antony who opposing left backs lick their lips when they see him with the ball his career won't amount to much other than hoovering vast unearned wages from United.
I feel like he needs to seriously adjust his game to improve. He needs to realize that he doesn't really have the pace and power to run past players, so he should try that less often. He does have a fairly good first touch and close control, and actually also a decent eye for a pass. He's also quick over the first few yards. If he could become better at combining on the edge of the box and make the right decision between shot and pass, I believe we could get something more out of him. But it obviously requires that he is in a team that moves the ball quickly, and that he has a fullback to combine with.

lex talionis

I feel like he needs to seriously adjust his game to improve. He needs to realize that he doesn't really have the pace and power to run past players, so he should try that less often. He does have a fairly good first touch and close control, and actually also a decent eye for a pass. He's also quick over the first few yards. If he could become better at combining on the edge of the box and make the right decision between shot and pass, I believe we could get something more out of him. But it obviously requires that he is in a team that moves the ball quickly, and that he has a fullback to combine with.
Antony IMO can be an effective backup RW for us in situations where we're defending a lead and we need that extra defensive tenacity to close things down. As for an attacking threat, however, there isn't much there apart from, as you note, a good first touch, close control and an eye for a pass. But he has not shown any ability to break down a back line either with dribbling or defending. He's ghosted in for a few goals but it's a rare occasion when he's in the right place at the right time for a tap in.

Assuming we sell Sancho and don't bring in Olise, I'd be very comfortable with Amad being our first choice at RW and Antony as his backup. There's no point wringing our hands over the obscene transfer fee (30m over what Ajax was originally asking for, I believe) for a mediocre footballer and he's virtually unsellable at any price but as cover for Amad I think he can do a job for us.

Stacks

Antony IMO can be an effective backup RW for us in situations where we're defending a lead and we need that extra defensive tenacity to close things down. As for an attacking threat, however, there isn't much there apart from, as you note, a good first touch, close control and an eye for a pass. But he has not shown any ability to break down a back line either with dribbling or defending. He's ghosted in for a few goals but it's a rare occasion when he's in the right place at the right time for a tap in.

Assuming we sell Sancho and don't bring in Olise, I'd be very comfortable with Amad being our first choice at RW and Antony as his backup. There's no point wringing our hands over the obscene transfer fee (30m over what Ajax was originally asking for, I believe) for a mediocre footballer and he's virtually unsellable at any price but as cover for Amad I think he can do a job for us.
We'd have the least dangerous right hand side in football.

Juicy Juiced

Antony PR in fulll force. He is probably worst signing in EPL history. Tough battle him or Pepe.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

If we hire Poch or De Zerbi i think Sancho will stay and be no1 choice. They have good history with younger players and give freedom to them.
On the other hand, under Tuchel (more rigid manager) i can see Antony staying.

Von Mistelroum

So, do we think he'll start tomorrow?
I really think he will. I hope I'm wrong, but I think EtH really doesn't like Amad for some reason, and he's shown that he has faith in Antony for some reason. I think he'll play him tomorrow and possibly Rashford too! God help us.

Lyng

If we hire Poch or De Zerbi i think Sancho will stay and be no1 choice. They have good history with younger players and give freedom to them.
On the other hand, under Tuchel (more rigid manager) i can see Antony staying.
Why on earth would Tuchel use Antony?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So, do we think he'll start tomorrow?
Think he's firmly 4th choice winger who is at the club and available for tomorrow...

For next season though, if we change manager to there is always the chance the next guy wants to try Sancho which pushes Antony down further, then the chance that we do the dumb thing and bring Greenwood back it would push Antony down yet further. The second Amad started against Arsenal is basically ended Antony as any sort of actual squad player IMO.

Lyng

Because he is hard wor........yeah, scrap my last post. :lol:

My account was hacked.
Haha fair enough mate.

On your Sancho point, while I don't think he is coming back I could see him be decent under Tuchel. He is usually well liked by hos players and not exactly as strict as Ten Hag even is he is much more meticulous about what he wants them to do on the field.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Antony PR in fulll force. He is probably worst signing in EPL history. Tough battle him or Pepe.
Yeah it's not even close.

€95 million for Antony.
€79 million for Pepe.

Pepe scored double Antony's entire EPL goal tally in one season.

They aren't close in comparison, and that's saying something given how much of a rort the Pepe signing was.

lex talionis

It could be argued that Sanchez was an even worse signing for us than Antony, but Antony rivals anyone we can think as the worst signing in PL history…perhaps in all of sports history.

statpadder

I love going against the caf opinion because frankly not many here can assess a player technically and just jump on the hate bandwagon.

So i’ll say it again just for the fun of it and just because I have not used my posts for the day.

He’s an excellent player who works his ass off. Hopefully he can produce more for a better manager in a much more functional attack next season. If he was at City, he would be a phenomenal player.

Malone_Post

I love going against the caf opinion because frankly not many here can assess a player technically and just jump on the hate bandwagon.

So i’ll say it again just for the fun of it and just because I have not used my posts for the day.

He’s an excellent player who works his ass off. Hopefully he can produce more for a better manager in a much more functional attack next season. If he was at City, he would be a phenomenal player.
Hard to argue with this.

I mean if Antony could just shoot, dribble, pass, cross, create, wasn't hideously one footed, didn’t have the athleticism of a child & didn’t have obvious attitude/anger issues then yes, I agree, he would be a phenomenal player. He’s so close.

mu4c_20le

Hard to argue with this.

I mean if Antony could just shoot, dribble, pass, cross, create, wasn't hideously one footed, didn’t have the athleticism of a child & didn’t have obvious attitude/anger issues then yes, I agree, he would be a phenomenal player. He’s so close.
:lol:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Reported.

statpadder

Hard to argue with this.

Ah yes. He’s a Brazil national team footballer valued at over 50m who apparently can’t do any of these basics in bold. Keep the hyperboles coming…

van Nistelrooy

Seemed more interested in getting on the pitch to show off his new back tattoo of himself rather than celebrating.

Hopefully the last we see of him.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Seemed more interested in getting on the pitch to show off his new back tattoo of himself rather than celebrating.

Hopefully the last we see of him.
I knew there'd have to be somebody wade into this thread to shit on him. Even today. Even with absolutely no possible reason. :lol:

Some of you have problems.

BorisManUtd

His goal kept us in the competition so can't ignore that. His best moment at United (followed by winner vs Barca and debut goal vs Arsenal).

BorisManUtd

Dan James in 2 seasons at United (all comps): 9 goals and 9 assists. Played 62.79 minutes on average per game. Bought him for 17.80 m euros, sold for 29.10m euros. (transfermarkt)

Anthony Elanga 2 seasons: 3 goals, 4 assists. Played 40.52 minutes on average per game. Academy player, sold him for 17.50m euros.

Antony in 2 seasons at United: 11 goals, 5 assists. Played 61.28 minutes on average per game. Bought him for 95.00m euros.

I appreciate Antony's workrate on pitch and think he's actually been good defensively, but his numbers and more important what we see on the pitch is really poor. Guess Premier League is too much for him.

Stacks

Dan James in 2 seasons at United (all comps): 9 goals and 9 assists. Played 62.79 minutes on average per game. Bought him for 17.80 m euros, sold for 29.10m euros. (transfermarkt)

Anthony Elanga 2 seasons: 3 goals, 4 assists. Played 40.52 minutes on average per game. Academy player, sold him for 17.50m euros.

Antony in 2 seasons at United: 11 goals, 5 assists. Played 61.28 minutes on average per game. Bought him for 95.00m euros.

I appreciate Antony's workrate on pitch and think he's actually been good defensively, but his numbers and more important what we see on the pitch is really poor. Guess Premier League is too much for him.
Incredible Dan James is better offensively than Antony

OverratedOpinion

Is there really any question that Dan James was better than Antony? Antony has scored a couple of important goals but so did Dan James and he could beat a man and pinned teams back a bit more with his pace.

Irwin99

Add in Sancho's numbers in 2 and a bit seasons- 12 goals, 6 assists and you wonder if there's a curse at play here!

Both on 82 games as well apparently.

Last edited:

kundalini

Just looking at their respective PL figures (for all clubs):

Dan James 12 goals + 12 assists in 6517 PL mins. xG 15.74, xA 11.46

Elanga 8 goals + 12 assists in 4213 PL mins. xG is 11.52, xA 10.19

Antony 5 goals + 3 assists in 3170 PL mins. xG is 9.35, xA 5.87

3 young hard working players. None of them appear to be a good finisher. Elanga went straight to PL football without a season in the Championship (as Dan James had) or two Eredivisie seasons like Antony.

The scouting of Antony (by Ten Hag) was clearly massively flawed. Absolute best case scenario he should have been a low priced gamble on modest wages like Dan James; that way we might have been able to sell him for a profit.

Bwuk

Even if we can't sell him, we need to get him out the squad.

We can't keep hording players who aren't good enough. Send a message.

Captmfla

Antony has a relatively good output in a dysfunctional team. Better than Daniel James or Elanga.

BorisManUtd

Antony has a relatively good output in a dysfunctional team. Better than Daniel James or Elanga.
It is a dysfunctional team. However, Garnacho who's been 18 and 19 in these 2 seasons had 15 goals and 9 assists. Played 56.85 minutes on average so lesser than Antony.

Also, it's not better than Dan James' stats or Elanga's either given how little Elanga played (2nd part of 21/22 and rarely in 22/23).

The scouting of Antony (by Ten Hag) was clearly massively flawed
Maybe I'm exaggerating but telling club to pay 95m for Antony could even be regarded as one of main reasons to sack him.