Antony under investigation by Brazilian authorities for domestic abuse | Back in the squad

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Defaulting to a presumption of innocence in the absence of strong direct evidence doesn't necessarily equate to claiming the accuser is a liar.
Defaulting to hypotheticals that make the women reporting DV a liar goes far further than an assumption of innocence in the legal criminal sense.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think I see where you’re coming from in terms of moral but non legal cases though as we’ve seen players refusing to wear rainbow armbands and the like. In cases like those I think it’s up to the teammates and his behaviour. If a player is openly being racist then yeah by all means get rid.
Yeah, exactly. I was speaking in general there, not about Antony specifically.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
That is not what is there in snapshots. He is not apologising for hitting her and threats are “i hope you die” which isnt a threat to kill someone. The media house is coming to that conclusion, those chats snapshots are not that conclusive

Also its a whatsapp chat with name “Antony S”. Its not at all reliable evidence
If it's not him. It's pretty easy to proove. You know phone provider and whatsapp keeps a detailed conversation history. And Antony could have easilly debuked it. It wasnt me, prove it by official record.

Silence is a form of admissio

lex talionis

Seems like a lot of speculation on top of speculation, making it very difficult to arrive at informed conclusion as to the optimal path forward for the player, potentially impacted parties and the club.

whitbyviking

If it's not him. It's pretty easy to proove. You know phone provider and whatsapp keeps a detailed conversation history. And Antony could have easilly debuked it. It wasnt me, prove it by official record.

Silence is a form of admissio
Silence may indeed be a form of admission, but I would also assume in this scenario it's a form of letting your legal team deal with the whole case rather than posting piecemeal rebuttals of every single piece of evidence against you.

I think based on all the "evidence" posted in this thread claiming "silence" is "admission" is a stretch.

Prior to things reaching court you never hear about the alleged evidence in basically all domestic violence cases unless the person is famous and/or there is money involved. Mostly the real evidence remains confidential for purposes of protecting the victim, but also for ensuring there are no shenanigans with the case.

I'm not going to speculate either way on this. One thing is certain is that the reputational damage to the club is again massive and even if found innocent Anthony's future may be in doubt (which I guess is a form of speculation).

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
It's an allegation, isn't it? How about we refrain from judgement either way before getting our knickers in a twist? Due process means absolutely zip in the age of social media. Now that's depressing.
Yes it is only an allegation.

But that means maybe some people shouldn't go straight to shouting that the victim is a liar as well. Works both ways.

Reactions: moses

frostbite

The Silence of the Clubs...

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...legations-football-domestic-abuse-allegations

Manchester United silent on Antony allegations amid calls for football to change

Brazilian accused of assault and domestic abuse by ex-girlfriend
Calls for decision on player to be taken out of club’s hands

Manchester United are staying silent despite growing pressure to take action against Antony, the Brazilian winger who has been accused of assault and domestic abuse by his former girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin, with fan groups and domestic abuse charities calling for the decision to be taken out of the club’s hands.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The Silence of the Clubs...

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...legations-football-domestic-abuse-allegations

Manchester United silent on Antony allegations amid calls for football to change

Brazilian accused of assault and domestic abuse by ex-girlfriend
Calls for decision on player to be taken out of club’s hands

Manchester United are staying silent despite growing pressure to take action against Antony, the Brazilian winger who has been accused of assault and domestic abuse by his former girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin, with fan groups and domestic abuse charities calling for the decision to be taken out of the club’s hands.
Interesting that the woman's group don't explicitly state what they would want the club to do in this situation.

I am a little confused as to their stance here, are they suggesting he gets dropped from the squad, taken out of the limelight, as currently he has not been charged with anything?

FerociousCorgis

Yes it is only an allegation.

But that means maybe some people shouldn't go straight to shouting that the victim is a liar as well. Works both ways.
I've heard mainly that we should wait for proof as the Antony defense, which is hardly the same as calling her a liar. I've heard a lot more knee jerk reactions essentially condemning him

reelworld

There's people who legitimately think Rachel Riley and Greenwood's partner are the actual problem here.
Yeah, finding Riley's comments on Israel and antisemitism problematic and finding her comments about Greenwood, Antony and the club in particular are correct should be 2 entirely separate things.
I mean you can do both, as people can be right about one thing and wrong about another thing

Reactions: moses

reelworld

Is there no clause in the contract where you are caught in criminal proceeding the club has every right to terminate your contract?
I'm pretty sure that clause exist in every employment contract I've signed in my career.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
He’s such a hot tempered player that I can see him getting red carded from the added abuse and jeering he’d get from rival fans. Him getting clattered to a round of applause and then him kicking out.

I’m not sure where I am in regard to suspending him. I think the allegations are vile and if there’s a sprinkle of truth, then he needs to go. But I appreciate there’s a difference between this and the Greenwood case and so it needs to be treated differently - as I was a staunch Greenwood out advocate.

Whether we suspend him or not based on what’s known, he just seems like the type of player who’d get affected by it.

Zed 101

There's no middle ground? Tackling domestic violence is step towards Minority report? Why is Rachel Riley of all people the one making ye so hysterical?

So many of these cases never get to the legal system or even reported. The overwhelming majority in fact.
So that automatically means Antony must be guilty and should be tried by the media? what if he is innocent, that is okay because there is a more important cause??

I agree that domestic and sexual violence cases do not get prosecuted as often or as vigorously as they should but we need to change the system not allow the media to destroy peoples lives and ignore due process

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Silence may indeed be a form of admission, but I would also assume in this scenario it's a form of letting your legal team deal with the whole case rather than posting piecemeal rebuttals of every single piece of evidence against you.

I think based on all the "evidence" posted in this thread claiming "silence" is "admission" is a stretch.

Prior to things reaching court you never hear about the alleged evidence in basically all domestic violence cases unless the person is famous and/or there is money involved. Mostly the real evidence remains confidential for purposes of protecting the victim, but also for ensuring there are no shenanigans with the case.

I'm not going to speculate either way on this. One thing is certain is that the reputational damage to the club is again massive and even if found innocent Anthony's future may be in doubt (which I guess is a form of speculation).
It's not that easy to submit false evidence. You get grilled pretty hard and all the other Circumstances must also corroborate. Your friends, pictures of you hanging out, proove of relationships, alibi, time of incident needs to checked out.

It's not that simple like doctoring a chat screenshot and submitting it as evidence

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Interesting that the woman's group don't explicitly state what they would want the club to do in this situation.

I am a little confused as to their stance here, are they suggesting he gets dropped from the squad, taken out of the limelight, as currently he has not been charged with anything?
MG case is different. Normally players are just being told that investigation is pending and that's it.

MG just happens to have a very damning evidence out in the open.

My position on Antony is he's innocence until further evidence materialized. Which will or will not be available to public.

As for MG. With the recording and picture which he didnt challenge. He's a cnut.

Zed 101

Depends on the proof or evidence. If there were pictures and audio etc of me being abusive then yes every single time
But in this case there aren't, are there? there are pictures that appear to be of injuries, but these were not taken by the police or an independent medical facility, due process exists for a reason, if we ignore due process then you have bigger problems that a footballer and his ex to worry about.

So you have said you would be okay with having your life turned upside down if somebody made allegations against you, basically if you were guilty... what if you were innocent??

My best friend growing up, his parents used to foster kids, when one of them became ill they had to stop, one of the girls they were fostering had to leave, she then made allegations against the whole family, these were found to be untrue and later she admitted she made the whole thing up out of spite and being rejected (I have some sympathy for her feelings but not her actions), my friends dad, and a friend of their family almost lost their jobs, my friend who spent several days being interrogated by police had to have counselling and go on anti-depression medication. The girl who made the allegations got a caution!

Off the top of my head, Matthew Kelly had allegations made against him, publicly interviewed by the police and subsequently there was no evidence, yet his career was ruined, look at the impact on Jimmy Tarbuck, or the way the police raided Cliff Richard's home with the press watching, there are many more examples I am sure but my point is, that this is not victimless either which way, you cannot put the cat back in the box, there has to be a better system which supports victims and doesn't see the accused being punished until they are actually found guilty.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
So that automatically means Antony must be guilty and should be tried by the media? what if he is innocent, that is okay because there is a more important cause??

I agree that domestic and sexual violence cases do not get prosecuted as often or as vigorously as they should but we need to change the system not allow the media to destroy peoples lives and ignore due process
Don't be ridiculous. I said nothing of the sort.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is there no clause in the contract where you are caught in criminal proceeding the club has every right to terminate your contract?
I'm pretty sure that clause exist in every employment contract I've signed in my career.
You’re probably not worth £80m to your employers

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
But in this case there aren't, are there? there are pictures that appear to be of injuries, but these were not taken by the police or an independent medical facility, due process exists for a reason, if we ignore due process then you have bigger problems that a footballer and his ex to worry about.

So you have said you would be okay with having your life turned upside down if somebody made allegations against you, basically if you were guilty... what if you were innocent??

My best friend growing up, his parents used to foster kids, when one of them became ill they had to stop, one of the girls they were fostering had to leave, she then made allegations against the whole family, these were found to be untrue and later she admitted she made the whole thing up out of spite and being rejected (I have some sympathy for her feelings but not her actions), my friends dad, and a friend of their family almost lost their jobs, my friend who spent several days being interrogated by police had to have counselling and go on anti-depression medication. The girl who made the allegations got a caution!

Off the top of my head, Matthew Kelly had allegations made against him, publicly interviewed by the police and subsequently there was no evidence, yet his career was ruined, look at the impact on Jimmy Tarbuck, or the way the police raided Cliff Richard's home with the press watching, there are many more examples I am sure but my point is, that this is not victimless either which way, you cannot put the cat back in the box, there has to be a better system which supports victims and doesn't see the accused being punished until they are actually found guilty.

False allegations are disgusting and do damage lives. The numbers of unreported cases of domestic abuse far outweigh the cases where people manufacture evidence to this degree.

While he is innocent, there is a massive question mark over it just at the moment.

Judas

Open to offers
It does piss me off what Arsenal have been able to get away with, will there ever be consequences for how they've just carried on? I know its a bit what about them etc. but whatever.

SteveCoppellFan

We live in ridiculous times.

It used to be innocent until proven guilty , now its guilty until proven innocent.

These type of things should not be made public until a verdict has been reached in court.

The social media witch hunt on these things is out of control.

Lyng

It does piss me off what Arsenal have been able to get away with, will there ever be consequences for how they've just carried on? I know its a bit what about them etc. but whatever.
There is definately a double standard when you compare the reactions to Greenwood and Partey in the media.

Judas

Open to offers
There is definately a double standard when you compare the reactions to Greenwood and Partey in the media.
It's night and day. There has to be legal reasons, but places like Sky make a choice to still talk and focus on Partey's amazing football abilities, they don't need to go the extra mile. It is very irksome.

King7Eric

It used to be innocent until proven guilty , now its guilty until proven innocent.

These type of things should not be made public until a verdict has been reached in court.

Actually in most cases now it's guilty even if proven innocent in public eye.

Issue is most countries/people, rightly or wrongly, have the attitude now that if you are rich you will get away with it. So whenever someone who is considered privileged is accused by someone less privileged, in eyes of most people they are pronounced guilty and it's very hard for them to change their outlook.

Lyng

It's night and day. There has to be legal reasons, but places like Sky make a choice to still talk and focus on Partey's amazing football abilities, they don't need to go the extra mile. It is very irksome.
Yeah it doesnt feel right. Especially given what the alleged victim went through. The online harrassment she received from Arsenal fans was extreme.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd

I don't even think it's that. Once you are accused of something it seems to stick with you even if you are later proven innocent, particularly in football. Doesn't seem to be any way back from it.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
He's not charged is he? If he's charged later then the club will suspend him.

antk

I don't even think it's that. Once you are accused of something it seems to stick with you even if you are later proven innocent, particularly in football. Doesn't seem to be any way back from it.
What are the examples of football people being proven innocent you are thinking of?

Ananke

Issue is most countries/people, rightly or wrongly, have the attitude now that if you are rich you will get away with it. So whenever someone who is considered privileged is accused by someone less privileged, in eyes of most people they are pronounced guilty and it's very hard for them to change their outlook.
Exactly this. The MG scenario being the latest example of everyone seeing actual evidence, yet nothing happening. This kind of thing is just concreting this view.

Money talks though.

BootsyCollins

People being falsely accused of something they did not do is a problem that we should take seriously.

People being the victim of domestic abuse and not being belived/helped is a huge problem and something we should take much more seriously.

That domestic abuse actually exist is the biggest problem of the three and should be taken extremely seriously.

Vault Dweller

The club should release a statement today. Suspension should come when/if he gets charged but the club should still acknowledge the ongoing investigation / media narrative.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
People being falsely accused of something they did not do is a problem that we should take seriously.

People being the victim of domestic abuse and not being belived/helped is a huge problem and something we should take much more seriously.

That domestic abuse actually exist is the biggest problem of the three and should be taken extremely seriously.
Yep.

"The CSEW estimated 2.4 million adults aged 16 years and over experienced domestic abuse in the year ending March 2022 (1.7 million women and 699,000 men). This equates to a prevalence rate of approximately 5.0% of adults (6.9% women and 3.0% men)."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...walesoverview/november2022#measuring-the-data

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

No in most cases it's guilty and not even charged.

False accusations are disgusting. But the stats show it's a very small % that goes to the stage of falsely submitting evidence. Especially relative to the estimated domestic abuse figures.

BootsyCollins

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This is the most annoying part.

When we talk about double standards, this is the thing that stands out. It seems the press have just decided to pile on United because we're an easy target at the moment.

But revitalised FC after 3 non-CL finishes in a row were off the table for some reason last year.

Let the due process take course and if he's charged and arrested, then there's a precedent that's been set and the club would then look suspicious if we don't follow it.

BootsyCollins

What?
Is it so? In most cases?