Are you happy?

How happy are you with our transfer dealings this Summer? (Players in and out)

• Total voters

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Fairly happy, yes.

I don't think LVG was positively wrong to get rid of anyone who is now gone, and I like our new acquisitions very much. Well, Romero is a bit underwhelming, but hopefully LVG won't be stupid/stubborn enough not to make use of a certain young man who looks like a llama now that the fax machines have broken down.

We have the players to do well on all fronts if these players are well managed. And if they aren't, then hey - it's the manager, ain't it? Oh, yes. It certainly is.

Art

Art the artist
I think this could've been classed as an excellent summer had we not loaned Januzaj out. Overall still good imo.

Browniee

With the huge amount of money we'll make over the next 12months, next summer we'll buy big and only sell 1/4 of the squad. Get in

Guy

A few good signings earlier in the window compensate a little for the disasters later on.

We've let go of some good servants of the club though, and left our squad depleted in key areas.

Browniee

Still dont understand all the crying over Januzaj, yeah he has potential but he hasn't shown it in 2 years.
When he burst on the seen I thought he would set the world alight, it hasn't happened and imo I don't think he will.
He needed game time with a little less pressure. It's a good move for all parties concerned.

LuessiT

Without that statement I'd vote for 6 or 7, but that statement regarding DDG just made the transfer window a straight 10 for me.

Green_Red

Its going to be difficult competing on all fronts. Fingers crossed we dont get any injuries or itll be tough going. But the players we've brought in make sense for the most part. 1 or 2 we let go are head scratchers but thats the way I supposed. Will be happy once we put a decent run of form together in the league until then none of the transfer business matters a feck.

Shark

@NotShark
We've strengthened considerably in midfield and we'll be a better unit in defence this season with Shaw and Smalling coming into their own and the addition of Darmian. We still lack star quality up top though, as we've sold Di Maria and brought in a 21 year old that will need a lot of time to adjust to the league and a 19 year old nobody heard of until two days ago. Overall I'm happy, but we needed more in attack.

Oo0AahCantona

Feel like an arsenal fan looking at our refusal to address the glaring issue in our attack. started off brilliantly addressing deep rooted issues with the squad to the point where we have the best pair of fullbacks in the world in my opinion and a midfield to compete with anybody. Then we just decided out of nowhere to not apply the killing blow and a bring in an elite attacking player, whilst selling and loaning all of our other options.

Memphis was allways going to need a season or 2 to really show his promise and we wont start seeing the best from martial for another 2-3 seasons either i would imagine. so the sales of Di maria, RVP, nani, Januzaj(loan) and hernandez just seem bonkers to me without any replacements to make an instant impact to a side that is one of the worst offensive teams in the league.

Doesn't make sense to me.

m1tch

We're 2 centre backs lighter, 2 strikers lighter, both were already problem positions, but hey, we've 4 goalkeepers. 3/10.

worldinmotion66

For me, the only thing missing was a more experienced attacking player. I will be bitterly disappointed if we have turned down the option of Reus for £60m, and equally annoyed if Januzaj has a clause to buy in his loan contract.

When you consider how much deadwood we have moved on, for want of a better word, and how much we have shaved off the wage budget, you have to consider it a phenomenal window. Then add that we've signed a proper right back, an established Premier League DM, two of the World's best young stars and, Bastian fecking Schweinsteiger!

At the start of the summer, I only wanted to keep De Gea. He hasn't signed the contract I wanted, but he's still here. To have improved so significantly beyond that, is really impressive. And hopefully having a fairly low net spend will allow us to be aggressive in the transfer window next year, and really go for the top attacking talent to push us back to the top.

9/10

Danny Boi

On one hand we have acquired 4 very good players in positions we needed to stengthen.Regardless of circumstances we have also kept De Gea and signed a decent back up.
We have sold a lot of deadwood.

On the other hand we have let both Di Maria and Januzaj go without a replacement RW.This is particularily annoying considering the Pedro situation.
We have also replaced Falcao, RVP and Hernandez with an overpriced teenager.I've never seen him play and he may turn into a great player but not what we really needed.
We also failed to add a new CB but I am less fussed about that.

Overall I think we've had a fine window (especially in comparison to Arsenal or Chelsea) and are definately stronger.We still need to strengthen particular in attack but it would have been unrealistic to expect us to address every gap in the squad in this window, especially when that gap is a world class forward.The most disappointing thing is letting players go who could have contributed for little or nothing.

Michael T

I had to vote 8 in the poll.
All the deadwood gone. Our longstanding midfield problem finally sorted with Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger. Right-back position finally sorted with Darmian, and two of the brightest young attackers in world football on the books with Memphis and Martial. Add to that the fact that Fellaini and Blind have cemented themselves as excellent squad players; Shaw and Herrera are showing their massive potential and our world-class goalkeeper is still here - at least for long enough for us to source an excellent replacement. What's not to like!
Ideally a world-class forward (the likes of Bale/Muller) and a world class centre-back (the likes of Ramos, although he's too old for my liking) would have completed the squad, but it seems to me that the players LvG thinks are good enough in those positions to really put us right back at the top were not available this Summer. Those kind of signings are surely coming our way by next summer at the latest. Let the team bed-in over the rest of this season and just imagine how good we can be when we address our few outstanding needs with world-class youngish players.
Who knows, we might just sneak some silverware this season if we can unlock some goals by messing with our forward line. Next season we might just have a young, intelligent, world-class team that could dominate for years. 'It's a process' - or so I'm told!

Last edited:

tom33

I like the signings we've made, but considering the number that have left, I think we could have done with a centre back and probably another attacker.

Canuckred64

I prefer to dwell on the positives of this transfer window. It may not have been a great window but it was a very good window. United added Darmian, Depay, Schweinstieger, Schniederlin, and Martial. All quality additions to the team. We also kept DeGea, unloaded a lot of deadwood and cleared millions of the wage bill.

Do we still have holes to fill, yes, but you can't expect to address all our needs in one window.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I voted 8. We are building a team from the back, and I expect us to bring in some serious talent in attack over the next two windows.

Schweinsteiger is a top drawer signing. I doubt anyone would have believed that he was a possibility.

Bojan11

7 for me.

Incomings don't have a problem with besides Romero. They all very good players, who will improve us.

Problem I have with is that we have not properly addressed our weaknesses from last season. We needed a CB and didn't sign one. Needed a striker with RVP and Falcao leaving, we did not sign one.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Went with 7. Our first for signings are all very good players in positions we needed improving in so its difficult to give less than that.

The negatives... I wouldn't have minded not buying another experienced striker if we didn't sell Hernandez - that was preference actually. Going into the season with two completely unproven 19 year olds and a completely misfiring Rooney is a huge worry. And I think we badly needed a CB. Why people seem to think we don't is completely beyond me - Smalling is our only good one, Jones is still inconsistent. So those two things, the utterly ludicrous fee for Martial and the uneasy feeling Januzaj's loan induces loses 3 points.

Definitely closer to an 8 than a 7 I think, the poor football we've played so far leaves a bitter taste which I suspect that's more to do with how LvG is using what he has than anything else.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

A good 7. I'm happy with this window, we still lack a WC striker, a right winger and a CB. Added 3 quality players, 2 huge talents and a free backup goalkeeper, can't say it's been bad. :cool:

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
8 for me. It's been a massive Football Manager'esque clear out and some pretty awesome transfers in. Schweinsteiger for instance, youngsters like Memphis and Martial are also really exiting. It seriously brings me back to the days where I would stay up all night playing that game, the amount of changes is unreal. The only thing missing was a solid CB in, and probably another striker.

DDG staying is a bonus for me, IF everything is fine between him, LVG and the club, and he'll be back in goal vs Liverpool.

I assume the next summer will adress the rest of the squad and build on this season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We're 2 centre backs lighter, 2 strikers lighter, both were already problem positions, but hey, we've 4 goalkeepers. 3/10.
Two centre backs lighter?

And yeah let's just ignore we've signed a quality fullback and two excellent midfielders.

lalloyd

We've got some quality footballers. If he can't get 3rd this year it's not good enough.

Ixion

Incoming players would be an 8 but when balanced with the outgoings and how weak we have left the squad in certain areas it would be a 6 overall.

C'est Moi Cantona

Jeez you're hard to please, you seem to be forgetting that we are also two midfielder stronger, a RB substantially stronger, and a left winger much stronger, plus have a bought a young French striker who could be anything.

We are also not two centre backs lighter, we are one, and Jonny Evans at that, we are also two 'over the hill' strikers lighter, yes we should have kept one of them but you can't have it all, and at least Wilson might get a chance.

Personally I'd give it 7/10, if we'd kept RVP and bought Pedro I'd have given it 9/10.

redsunited

I like all the signings we have made. We have strengthened every position we needed strengthening except 2. Right wing and Central Defender.
Regarding Central Defender, As the rise of Smalling means we only needed a quality left sided Central Defender who wasn't available this window.
Regarding Right Wing, we desperately needed a player who could offer pace and threat to get behind defenders unlike Mata. Similar players(Pedro and Douglas Costa) moved clubs this summer but we didnt go for those signings waiting for marquee signings like Muller and Bale.
My only concern about our transfers is that we are targeting Big clubs(Real, Barca, Bayern) players who are not available. We should go for top players from other clubs who we can buy rather than wasting time with the big clubs. Also when top players from the big clubs are available we shouldnt try to get them and not miss out like we did with Sanchez and Fabregas last summer.
Now we are only one world class central defender and attacking player away from title contenders.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
6/10. Think we're short on players and will get found out this season when injuries mount up as they inevitably will.

Happy enough with the personnel minus Martial.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Signed 6 players plus still have DDG.
Midfield looks strong, defence has improved
Up front we have signed 2 young lads who have the exact attributes and abilities we needed and should become top top players, whether they can produce that consistently at their age is the question.
Would have liked one more experienced forward/striker but overall our squad is not that light
We had too many players and the deadwood has been removed and have similar sized squads to our rivals.
Very young squad with most 26 or under and is now much more balanced -very excited for the future
8/10

buckooo1978

a 5 from me.....

great signings made early on and can't fault Darmian, the midfielders and Memphis.....I'm happy to bring in a young prospect as well despite the fee - in July I'd have voted with 8/9 so far

the handling of De Gea was awful - who knows how effective he will be but playing him from the start would have given us some indication
the handling of Valdes was poor
the Pedro affair was embarrassing

not signing an established top striker after letting RVP and Falcao go was poor
going on to let Hernandez go compounded the issue

Not targeting a CB with Evans away, Jones unreliable, Rojo not exactly dependable and Blind lacking experience, pace or strength there is poor

Can't understand Januzaj at all - crazy loan and I think we might not see him in red again (unless Belgium)

as so many have said we plugged some gaps but created some new ones

the big winners in this are the Glazers with a million of the wage bill a week

NJM78

Not overly I gave a 6/10.
Darmians quality is a plus and I really wanted Schneiderlin. Also BFS is a great player but will take time to get up with the speed of this league and is the wrong side of 30, Depay and now Martial will also need time so letting Januzaj go could prove a mistake. I feel Rooney is spent and have done for a couple of years now so to go into a season hoping to finish better than fourth and deal with a CL campaign we are rather short on star quality in my eyes. I don't see us scoring many goals at all again in the league as our style of play is utterly slow and boring. Next season we will be in better shape for sure with our younger players having gained the experience but my worry will be this year we may struggle for top 4 giving the extra demand of Europe and I say this knowing the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal are hardly flying right now either.
We should have signed an experienced CB and an already proven number 9 and RWF. Easier said than done I know but this is what I feel we still lack to get us close to winning our league again and challenging for Europe. If Van Gaal insists on chasing dreams like Bale, Muller again or hopefully players like Reus, Greizmann next summer we will surely need to be in the CL again next season to have any chance of luring them.
Final point is De Gea getting composed and back in the right frame of mind to play for us, this will go some way in achieving top 4 of course but will this happen straight away or are we stuck with Romero for the foreseeable...?

Last edited:

Long Ball

I voted a two

Yes I'm sure the majority will see that as extreme but the squad still falls woefully short. I will always compare how far we have fallen since the 2008 peak. Or our previous great teams from the recent past. Okay I understand we are in transition but it's not like the players weren't out there and gettable.

We should have signed otamendi or laporte
We should have gone all out for griezeman
Lacazette looks suited to the prem.

We could be contenders with that lot

I'm not totally unhappy with martial but we have let Falcao, RVP, Hernandez and even welbeck go in recent times and brought in one? Why is Blind centre back? He's a great squad player ala Phil Neville

Can't deny we have made great strides in midfield and right back but it's two steps forwards two sideways then two back

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
One step forward - midfield and right back, one step back - strikers, goalkeeper, right wing.
One would say two steps back even. We needed a top class CB as well and we got no one. Now we rely on Smalling staying fit. Let that sink in. Smalling. Staying. Fit.

I voted six.

Considering this was the season we were supposed to mount a challenge for the title, I'm not overly happy.

Buying young exciting players is great, I'm all for it, but I did believe we would bring in a proven attacker. The depth in central defense is also a bit of a concern, I wish we would have brought in an experienced defender.

Glad we kept DDG, but I wish we'd gone for a younger and more exciting goalkeeper to keep him on his toes, instead of Romero, who nobody believes to be a long term solution.

So all in all: I'm a bit worried as to who are going to score the goals, and injuries in defense. Very happy with the midfield, though. Also glad we're clearing out deadwood.

5/10

Woodzy

Relatively happy:

• Our business in the middle of the window was excellent.
  • We got rid of most our deadwood
  • Januzaj is on loan at a top European club
  • De Gea with any luck will be our #1 for the entire season (i.e. not dropped)
  • Martial could be world class.
Relatively unhappy:
  • Our (lack of) activity after our schmidfield signing was dreadful
  • A few players could have and probably should have been kept on considering we didn't get replacements
  • Januzaj is on loan at a top European club
  • De Gea hates us
  • Who the feck is Martial?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Solid 9/10 happy with our Summer transfer. We got:
- Morgan, one of the best CM in the league;
- Depay, such an exciting attacking youngster in the world;
- Darmian, quickly become one of the best RB
- Martial, another pacey and trickery attacking youngster,
and they are all could be the backbone of United for years to come.

Then as a cherry on top, is BSF.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
We sorted out our midfield problems that had hindered us for years in a very strong and gifted young player and a very experienced player that is world class. We sorted out our problem right back area too with an incredibly exciting young player that looks like he could be bargain of the season. We signed two of the most highly rated and exciting talents in world football in Memphis and Martial and we also managed to somehow keep David De Gea for at least another season.

The transfers out were excellent as well with LvG shedding the wage bill completely and also letting go anyone he felt wasn't up to it or who wouldn't get games. The only worry I have is if we get an injury crisis on even 1/10 the scale of last season, we could be in serious trouble because the squad does look very light. I am slightly confused about Januzaj going out on loan, and also why United appeared to have baulked at £60m for Reus, yet seem prepared to pay the same for Ramos, and did pay the same for Di Maria. It also looks a little silly when they paid £36m for a very inexperienced 19 year old.

I thought we needed a CB and a striker, but I can understand LvG being happy with his options in defence, and he is prepared to wait for the right player. The same with a striker, but again, it appears he is prepared to wait, and is happy with his squad. I will give him the benefit of doubt as I think we are definitely on the right track.

7/10

stepic

Anyone choosing 5 or lower is being ridiculous. Also I think anyone expecting a guaranteed title challenge after 2 years is being ridiculous too, especially when City and Chelsea are and were so far ahead of us. We're bridging the gap, have patience.