Argentina NT | WC Discussion

croadyman

That loss to Saudi might be the best thing that could’ve happened to this team.

It revealed weaknesses and forced them to introduce young new players like Enzo, Julian and Mac into the team.
Yeah you could well be right,why couldn't they have put Poland to the sword. Would have taken so much pressure off Mexico to score 3

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
The last two times they had a penalty miss in the third game they went on to win the competition 78 and 86…so its on

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Whats the manager's problem with Licha? he can play ahead of any other CB and provides much more.

forp27

Supports
Independiente
Actually that's a lie. In 1978 Passarella was the man in charge of penalties, not Kempes (and there was no pen in the 3rd game). And in the 3rd game of the 1986 WC, Argentina won 2-0 against Bulgaria, no pens also.

Reactions: Invictus

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Still not that convinced. But they reached the 2014 final in similar fashion so they may yet do it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think Spain are a team that like to be bullied, so I expect it to be a very dirty game if that was the draw.
I don't think they're going to be able to bully Spain. They don't have Frances altheticism and would spend much of the game having to soak pressure as they can't match Spain technically.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Don't know, not convinced by them yet. Poland suited them as an opponent. A pathetically slow and non-aggressive team that allows you all the time in the world with the ball at your feet, with a couple of big names in their lineup to make you feel that you're going places because you beat them .

Can't shake their shockingly bad performance in the opening game off. In the last two games they've played so-so, more passion than actual football. They're lucky that the Netherlands look shaky, too, and they're going to have issues with USA's athleticism. But if it comes down to fine margins, i would put my chips on LvG.

With the group games as the only evidence, if this team reaches the semis, it will be nothing sort of a miracle.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Actually that's a lie. In 1978 Passarella was the man in charge of penalties, not Kempes (and there was no pen in the 3rd game). And in the 3rd game of the 1986 WC, Argentina won 2-0 against Bulgaria, no pens also.
Just read this. So it is total BS as I suspected. Thanks for the clarification. Were Argentina actually awarded any penalties in 78 or 86 though?

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Wasn't Maradona the penalty taker in 86? So who missed the penalty?
From the internet:

‘As Argentina, on its way to crowning the 1978 World Cup, which it hosted, lost the third match in the group stage against Italy, 1-0, in that match, the star of the Argentine national team at the time, Mario Kempes, missed a penalty kick!

And in a tournament whose first star was Diego Armando Maradona, who scored 5 goals that contributed to Argentina's crowning of the World Cup in Mexico in 1986, the Argentine legend missed a penalty kick during a victory in the third match of the group stage at Bulgaria's expense with two goals to nil.’

Someone in the thread has already debunked this so looks like that tweet was fake News

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Looking back at the team Argentina had (or could have had) at the 2010 World Cup, the fact that they gave the keys to Maradona remains one of the most insane football decisions of all time.

Attackers: Messi, Aguero, Higuain, Tevez, Milito

Midfielders: Mascherano, Cambiasso, Riquelme, Di Maria, Lavezzi

Defenders: Zanetti, Samuel, Zabaleta, Heinze, Garay

Absolutely ridiculous waste of talent.

forp27

Supports
Independiente
After a shaky start, i'm starting to feel a lot more confident on this team. As an argentinean, I never doubted about Scaloni and this NT, but that loss to Saudi Arabia was heartbreaking.

Looking back at the team Argentina had (or could have had) at the 2010 World Cup, the fact that they gave the keys to Maradona remains one of the most insane football decisions of all time.

Yes indeed. We fell short on 2006, with one of the strongest teams we had in our history and decided to take an absolute wrong way with Basile, then Maradona and finally Batista. We've wasted so much talent.

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
That loss to Saudi might be the best thing that could’ve happened to this team.

It revealed weaknesses and forced them to introduce young new players like Enzo, Julian and Mac into the team.
It was ideal. When he lost Lo Celso and then González, Scaloni defaulted to the tried and tested (Papu), as international managers typically do.

He probably knew Fernández was a better solution, but once you are in tournament mode you can't tinker much and you don't want to find further down the line that lack of experience/maturity blows up in your face.

He basically got to run through combinations, with all of them in a pressure cooker, and the response was good. Players didn't go into hiding, which is massive going forward.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Otamendi was absolutely useless in a stacked City team, Martinez comes into a United team struggling where the spot light has been on him throughout his time so far and has stood up to the challenge. How does one choose a donkey over a lion. Mental sometimes
They won the Copa after almost 30 years beating Brazil, in Brazil. Anyone who was part of that is a starter until proven useless.

In fact, I told an Argie mate back then and I say it again: if they had Dibu Martínez back in 2015 and 2016 Chile would have no Copa Américas. That's how big a difference you get from a commanding goalie.

You don't feck about with a settled and proven defensive core. I agree Lisandro is in better form, if not simply better, but it's not top priority as something to tinker with.

RedDevilMachine

Gosh this Argentinian team was an all-time classic, probably one of if not the greatest Argie team I've seen in my lifetime. All their world-class players in their prime, with a mixture of experience and youth. A more competent manager would have won the World Cup with that team.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Messi and Ronaldo getting some really pathetic penalties. Also Argentina's bracket :lol: not shady at all..
Is this a joke? Look at englands WC bracket in 2018 WC or Portugal’s in 2016 euro. What a dumb take of yours

amolbhatia50k

Gosh this Argentinian team was an all-time classic, probably one of if not the greatest Argie team I've seen in my lifetime. All their world-class players in their prime, with a mixture of experience and youth. A more competent manager would have won the World Cup with that team.
They were dysfunctional on the pitch though and being managed by Maradona made sure that wouldn't change.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Messi and Ronaldo getting some really pathetic penalties. Also Argentina's bracket :lol: not shady at all..
They're on the same side of the bracket as Brazil, Spain and the Netherlands. Could've been Belgium too if Lukaku wasn't so bad.

The other side with France, England, Portugal and maybe Germany isn't all that stronger if at all. I'm assuming you're trolling?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The 2006 Argentina side should have won that World Cup. What a side.

IFC 1905

The 2006 Argentina side should have won that World Cup. What a side.
Well, that team played at the 2007 Copa America and they played some great football until they lost 3-0 to an alternative Brazil in the final.

After a shaky start, i'm starting to feel a lot more confident on this team. As an argentinean, I never doubted about Scaloni and this NT, but that loss to Saudi Arabia was heartbreaking.

Yes indeed. We fell short on 2006, with one of the strongest teams we had in our history and decided to take an absolute wrong way with Basile, then Maradona and finally Batista. We've wasted so much talent.

Well, I see this forum has more Independiente fans than Racing Club now:D

Beisdes, we're quite a few. We could start a thread to appreciate The Product.

colombianmancunian

They missed a big chance there due to nostalgia. Diego never was a good manager, he only had the job due to being Maradona, not because his qualifications.

nakpodiareuben

Argentina don't look like a team. Still depends so much on individual yalant to change games. That won't take them far. Won't be surprised if Australia shocks them. Louis van gaal was correct when he said a lot of teams in the knock out stage are not good teams but just have good players.

amolbhatia50k

Argentina don't look like a team. Still depends so much on individual yalant to change games. That won't take them far. Won't be surprised if Australia shocks them. Louis van gaal was correct when he said a lot of teams in the knock out stage are not good teams but just have good players.
To me they look like a team but one that's littered with mediocre footballers. It's not surprise that so few of them are at top clubs competing for major trophies. They're just riding on effort and Messi. Only a matter of time before a good team sweeps them away like France did at the last WC.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
To me they look like a team but one that's littered with mediocre footballers. It's not surprise that so few of them are at top clubs competing for major trophies. They're just riding on effort and Messi. Only a matter of time before a good team sweeps them away like France did at the last WC.
They gave France a game at that last world cup. It ended 4-3

I dont think they are an amazing side. But I don't think anyone has stood out to be honestly. Any of the remaining teams look beatable.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
I agree with your assessment, I am not impressed by them at all, no idea how are they amongst the favorites based on even the names, nevermind the performances.

However they have 3 things going for them, 1)messi, 2)a team full of fighters and 3) the chelsea 2012 vibe. Not too sure they can survive an injury to Alvarez or Messi…imagine relying on Lautaro to get you goals :lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
They are a Stoke with a 35 year old Messi who they hope can carry them. They wont win the wc, they will be lucky to beat the netherlands.

Grande

I agree with your assessment, I am not impressed by them at all, no idea how are they amongst the favorites based on even the names, nevermind the performances.

However they have 3 things going for them, 1)messi, 2)a team full of fighters and 3) the chelsea 2012 vibe. Not too sure they can survive an injury to Alvarez or Messi…imagine relying on Lautaro to get you goals :lol:
I think their ‘favorite’ tag was based on an unbeaten streak of thirty plus games and winning a lot of friendlies 3-0 just before the WC. It’s the least overwhelming squad they’ve had since the late eighties, and I suspect that those results stem from a well organized team of players that fight for each other, all accept carrying Messi, and are both cynical and patient. They have a good defensive backbone in Emiliano, Romero, Otamendi (and Lisandro), and will get a goal from somewhere (Messi). They have a coach who makes sound judgements on how to change up the team to get the machinery working.

To me they are nowhere near favorites, but looking at the favorites (Brazil, France, Spain) and outsiders (Portugal, England, Netherlands, Kroatia) there are no teams there Argentina can’t beat with a good defensive performance and a bit of luck.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Look at Portugal 2016. Not the best team on paper but they worked hard and were streetwise enough when it mattered.

This Argentina team is underwhelming but the opposition still needs to do the job too.

amolbhatia50k

Look at Portugal 2016. Not the best team on paper but they worked hard and were streetwise enough when it mattered.

This Argentina team is underwhelming but the opposition still needs to do the job too.
True but their run was piss easy. Wales in the semis too. I think the only good team they played was France in the final and that was when France was still a work in progress towards the 2018 win. Those jammy wins are harder at the WC level and easier at Euros / Copas.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
I think their ‘favorite’ tag was based on an unbeaten streak of thirty plus games and winning a lot of friendlies 3-0 just before the WC. It’s the least overwhelming squad they’ve had since the late eighties, and I suspect that those results stem from a well organized team of players that fight for each other, all accept carrying Messi, and are both cynical and patient. They have a good defensive backbone in Emiliano, Romero, Otamendi (and Lisandro), and will get a goal from somewhere (Messi). They have a coach who makes sound judgements on how to change up the team to get the machinery working.

To me they are nowhere near favorites, but looking at the favorites (Brazil, France, Spain) and outsiders (Portugal, England, Netherlands, Kroatia) there are no teams there Argentina can’t beat with a good defensive performance and a bit of luck.
Yes agreed, hence the Chelsea 2012 vibes