Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

m1y2

released the ball to Shaw pretty well got him to decent places, apart that he didn't do anything spectacular and was too tidy, they covered the width well though. I remember he was just okay against astonvilla and alot of people speculated with him being replaced by dimaria, well he was in the starting line-up and we all know what happened that day. I want him start again next game, he will have more space and time against Everton, Coleman likes to get forward and Shaw will be up and down the pitch with him and Young will find some space I guess, Our wide players were pretty much doubled all the time as Mou didn't really wanted to put in crosses for big Fella..

RedPnutz

Such a strange reaction... He had been our standout player for many games before this one and Mourinho obviously set up the team to nullify him.

Which actually gave Shaw an opportunity to shine.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Such a strange reaction... He had been our standout player for many games before this one and Mourinho obviously set up the team to nullify him.

Agreed.

Almost seems like people are waiting for him to feck up so they can get back on the "Young is shit" BW.

Last edited:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Wasn't great. Our width in general, baring Shaw, was poor with no quality and no real pace. Put say Nani in for young and I think we'd get a draw yesterday. Young was very good against City. Just yesterday there was a lack of quality. Too many times in the first half we got in good positions to cross but we kept turning back on ourselves

drdoityourself

Well that just wasn't obvious at all. Clearly the space to attack them, particularly in the first half, was down the left and Young seemed timid and was happy to pass it back instead of attacking Ivanovic. He had a standout performance against City, against Villa he was very wasteful and did absolutely nothing going forward against Liverpool.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We drew yesterday because Rooney missed his sitter whilst Hazard took his.
We lost, but I'd hardly call Rooney's a sitter, certainly not on the level that Hazards was. Imo Chelsea, despite their gameplan actually had the better of the chances. De Gea handled outside the box, Hazard missed an open goal in addition to the chance he converted, and other than Falcao hitting the post from a tight angle we didn't really create a great deal for our possession. Chelsea done us up like a kipper really.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Agreed.

Almost seems like people are waiting for him to feck up so they can get back of the "Young is shit" BW.
Exactly this. Not having an amazing game against the best side in the league in their own stadium is hardly the biggest crime going.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Thing is, over the last two years, Ashley Young has been in and out of the team, due to injuries, and has never been able to impress due to lack of consistent game time. The consensus here was that he was just a shit player, as that's what fickle fans do. When he was able to play consistently and that, too, in a non-shit team, he's put in some good performances around one sensational one. Now, he's being a tad overrated.

Ashley Young has always been a good player, who just like Fellaini, was never given a proper chance to prove himself and subsequently, has always been made a scapegoat. Reading the praise for him and Fellaini is quite funny as people seem to be so shocked and surprised that they're able to perform at this level, especially, since they've been doing for quite a while, for their previous clubs. Young was a a terrific winger for Villa and Fellaini tore us a new one back in 2012, when he destroyed our entire team in 90 minutes.

It's great to see Young (and Fellaini) prove his critics and doubters wrong, but this is the best we'll get from him. He'll be 30, in July, and I'd rather we play di Maria and Januzaj over him as there's a good chance he may not be able replicate this standard next year. Moreover, his performances have been solid and nothing exceptional; it's just that, in the mind of many, he's considered so shit that these good performances are perceived as amazing and sensational (the Man City performance was, though). What I'd say to certain people is that you should stop under rating every damn player after every bad outing, give them a chance, and maybe, you won't be proven wrong time and time, again.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
What I do like about Young on the wing is he tends to link up with the left back more whether it's Blind/Shaw where as Di Maria would rather use that left back as a decoy and run at players. Young has adapted to the system more because of that, he does what's best for the attack, not just "What might create a chance if I get past the 3 players"

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
What I do like about Young on the wing is he tends to link up with the left back more whether it's Blind/Shaw where as Di Maria would rather use that left back as a decoy and run at players. Young has adapted to the system more because of that, he does what's best for the attack, not just "What might create a chance if I get past the 3 players"
Except di Maria has not played enough in this new system to be able to adjust to it. I'd also argue that in his cameos, of late, di Maria has tried to involve the left back/right back more; referring back to yesterdays game where he was looking for support from Blackett, who never responded and di Maria resorted to taking on the defender, himself. Before we start judging di Maria, lets wait till he's played in this system as recent games would show that he's taking a more restricted approach - his pass % has been 85%+ in his last few appearances.

Loublaze

ATLien
He wasn't bad, but today showed his limitations and why we need better than him.
Can say the same about Fellaini. It was just a tight game against well organized opponents. Di Maria didn't do anything against tired legs.

YzWayne

People here turn their heads so quick after one match. Bale has his average games too against big teams.

YzWayne

You cannot seriously be comparing Ashley Young to Gareth Bale...
I'm just stating the fact that even world class players have their off days. So why are posters discrediting Young because of the Chelsea game and none of them appear during the winning streaks? If young under perform for a run of games then yes, he should be criticized but not just one game.

ZDwyr

People here turn their heads so quick after one match. Bale has his average games too against big teams.
I agree with this. It goes from "he's our player of the season!" to, "he's not good enough for us." It's ridiculous. He was ineffective against Chelsea, it happens. It was disappointing but oh well.

RU Devil

I agree with this. It goes from "he's our player of the season!" to, "he's not good enough for us." It's ridiculous. He was ineffective against Chelsea, it happens. It was disappointing but oh well.
LOL, so true. I thought he was partially neutralized by the fact that Zouma was cancelling out Fellaini, but he & Shaw were giving Ivanovic (& Oscar) a hard time. His crosses were just not as accurate as in the City game, but I didn't think he was our worst player and can definitely play a role next season, even if ADM finally gets it & Depay is brought in.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Nice one Youngy.

Can't help but feel sorry for those kids though... Just when they thought they'd be getting Rooney...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Even average players have good runs of form, happens in every team in the league.
I'm not saying he's Ryan Giggs circa 1999, but he is better than an average player and has demonstrated it recently. He clearly does what Van Gaal wants out of the position, which is why he has been given the starting role over Di Maria.

RooneyLegend

I'm not saying he's Ryan Giggs circa 1999, but he is better than an average player and has demonstrated it recently. He clearly does what Van Gaal wants out of the position, which is why he has been given the starting role over Di Maria.
Trust you me, there are plenty of levels between him and late 90's Giggs. He's starting because Di Maria has been poor and generally a hazard to our team. He's been mediocre for the best part of the years he's been here. Even on his current run of form, he can produce what he did vs chelsea.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Trust you me, there are plenty of levels between him and late 90's Giggs. He's starting because Di Maria has been poor and generally a hazard to our team. He's been mediocre for the best part of the years he's been here. Even on his current run of form, he can produce what he did vs chelsea.
He was excellent in his first year and scored a few crackin goals. Last year was a bust for just about all of our players. He's widely recognized as one of our most effective players this year.

RooneyLegend

He was excellent in his first year and scored a few crackin goals. Last year was a bust for just about all of our players. He's widely recognized as one of our most effective players this year.
Then our standards are pretty low if his first year was anything close to excellent. He had a good start, the descended into mediocrity. Was pathetic last season but as you say so were many others and this year he's been good/mediocre/good/mediocre.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

this is a lesson in how stats dont always give a full picture. We all know that Young was utter gash last season (even longer than that in fact) and has been vastly improved under LvG, but yet his stats are actually only marginally better this year than last.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan

this is a lesson in how stats dont always give a full picture. We all know that Young was utter gash last season (even longer than that in fact) and has been vastly improved under LvG, but yet his stats are actually only marginally better this year than last.
with all due respect to young, it could also be that while young is indeed a bit better than last year, he hasn't really been nearly as good as some have pointed out and has benefited from the rest of the team playing much better as a whole.

this place is ridiculous in terms of building people up and tearing people down after wins and losses. if managers actually listened to what their diehard supporters say on message boards, they'd not have any players left to choose from. the same can be said in terms of praise players receive. imo young outside the match against city hasn't really done that much, but what he's done has been ok. i don't think it's up to the calibre of what united need (would he get in on any other top club in the world?).

nevertheless, i'm a big fan of good people, and it's clear young definitely falls into that category and there's no doubting his love for the club. he's a nice option to have on the bench, but i'd be very unimpressed if we went into next season with him pencilled in for the starting 11.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Young has been great this year, especially considering probably half his appearances were as a LWB.

He does need to improve his goals and assists output though. You can see why we are interested in a goal scoring wideman in Depay.

Status
Not open for further replies.