Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Kevin and Devilish are pleased with him

Close the thread it will never get any better for Ashley Young

Water Melon

No world beater, but will not be shipped out as he is a solid first team performer and a very good backup. Kudos to Ashley, he loves it in Manchester, and obviously LvG likes him as well.

Flying_Heckfish

Fantastic season for him really. Can't fault his work ethic, playing in numerous positions/roles and has done very well. Definitely worth a spot in the squad next season.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I was talking about today's game.

He created our only goal, regularly beat his man, made 5/5 tackles, passed the ball accurately and generally played very well. He was, IMO, our best player on the pitch today (Hererra probably ran him close tbf).

You claimed that - had Di Maria started - he'd have "performed similarly". There's feck all evidence to back that up. Like I said, he's started 19 games for us. In how many of those was he our best player?
During the time di Maria was a regular starter he created many chances, often beat his man, his defensive responsibilities weren't bad, his passing wasn't great. I also said that if he didn't perform to a similar level, he'd have created more.

WRT his best games - Burnley, QPR, Leicester, Everton, Arsenal (till the sending off), Burnley are the ones (off the top of my head) were he was easily our best player. That, too, when majority of our team were crap.

LLMU

Ashley Young did well this season but he is not the player we should look to if we are to challenge for trophies next season. But he is a good player to have as he can be a good cover for a few positions. With Depay coming, and also with di Maria, don't think he will get that many games next season.
I also noticed he is good over a distance of about 10-15 yards where he beat his man and put in crosses. But over a longer distance, he seemed to lose some pace like how Bellerin came and swept the ball away during our counter attack with Young on the ball.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
During the time di Maria was a regular starter he created many chances, often beat his man, his defensive responsibilities weren't bad, his passing wasn't great. I also said that if he didn't perform to a similar level, he'd have created more.

WRT his best games - Burnley, QPR, Leicester, Everton, Arsenal (till the sending off), Burnley are the ones (off the top of my head) were he was easily our best player. That, too, when majority of our team were crap.
So, even if I go with your personal rating of his performances (which is potentially slightly biased) we'd be talking about six games out of the 19 he started where he was our best player. So that's less than a one in three chance of him being our best player in any given match. Like I said, your presumption that he would have "performed similarly" to Young, if picked instead of him, doesn't really fit the evidence.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Ashley Young did well this season but he is not the player we should look to if we are to challenge for trophies next season. But he is a good player to have as he can be a good cover for a few positions. With Depay coming, and also with di Maria, don't think he will get that many games next season.
I also noticed he is good over a distance of about 10-15 yards where he beat his man and put in crosses. But over a longer distance, he seemed to lose some pace like how Bellerin came and swept the ball away during our counter attack with Young on the ball.
I think that was simply due to him running around like a maniac for the entire match. He tired in the final 20 minutes which is only natural given how much effort he put in.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Could also be due to the fact that Bellerin is the fastest footballer in the league over 40 metres (or something to that effect)

Shark

@NotShark
I've been over the moon with him this season and there's no doubt he'll be a very effective squad player next season too. He may not be a player that wins you titles, but he'll be a big contributor in the long run.

mu77

better this season than i gave him credit for early on and better than ADM. good season for him.

m1y2

he's great and consistent dribbler, which is what I like about him, he's got great touch and operates well in tight spaces, never really tries to beat his man if he doesn't have a chance like diMaria or other footballers tend to do, he's clever and can keep possession at right moments and good in combination..

his defensive work is also great, if shaw is fit he would be also much better as Rojo isn't the best left back and Blind might be too slow young has to cover a lot for him, but he copes quite well with the changes he has on that left hand side

it will be interesting to see how we start next season.. hope also Januzaj gets some gametime

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
It's bad that Di Maria can't get a game considering how much he's cost, but honestly he doesn't deserve to be starting when Young's being putting in good performances all season. Deserves to rewarded with a new contract.

Fully Fledged

What get's me is that people are coming on here say not good enough get rid then heading over to the DDG thread and bellyaching that players have no loyalty anymore? What about fan loyalty to a player who has been instrumental in us getting this top 4 finish this season?

I'd start next season with Ash as first choice on LW then gradually start integrating Memphis into the position. If we are going to compete in all compositions next season we will need both of them firing on all cylinders over the course of the season.

Green_Red

Hes been a revelation this year and showed some of the form that brought him into tge spotlight under O'Neill at Villa when him and Agbon.. ripped the league up.

Hope it continues next season.

Oneunited26

I agree with that point, like I said on the transfer thread, the club needs to raise the bar with its own starting 11. Fellaini mata and young fall in that same category, done well but we need better players to replace them in a starting 11. If VG has not got much faith in di maria, we need another winger. I do not really like the idea of going into next season seeing young and rooney coming to 30 next season playing every week, depay is a start, depay and herrera is a fantastic start of rebuilding our midfield.

Boycott

If Depay takes the left wing spot, could Young be our RB? His interplay with Blind and Fellaini is great. I can see him suiting Mata and Herrera excellently as he's quick and can beat a man too providing more space for those two to have. He'll offer more attacking threat than Valencia, and has shown to be clever in picking his moments and being defensively responsible.

Maxii

Paad
Its crazy how much of a factor confidence has in a players ability to perform. You could incredibly gifted and if you're down on confidence you just can't produce the goods.

I'm not saying Young is the most naturally gifted player, but the difference between this season and last is massive. I'm delighted for him. I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't as frustrated as everyone else was last season, and I really thought he was garbage. But he's proved everyone wrong in style this year. Fair play to him.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
To be honest Ashley Young was consistently doing this for Villa before we signed him. He was just haunted with injuries and turn to shit the moment he signed for us. I have to be honest, I used to really enjoy watching him play for Villa. I was genuinely excited when we signed him.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
What get's me is that people are coming on here say not good enough get rid then heading over to the DDG thread and bellyaching that players have no loyalty anymore? What about fan loyalty to a player who has been instrumental in us getting this top 4 finish this season?

I'd start next season with Ash as first choice on LW then gradually start integrating Memphis into the position. If we are going to compete in all compositions next season we will need both of them firing on all cylinders over the course of the season.
Damn right! Loyalty should work both ways.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
If he had a better final ball and better delivery into the box, he'd be a world class winger. However, even if his final delivery is inconsistent, he's still a valuable player to have in the team and can be relied on to perform well, but I don't think he's someone who should regularly start for a team challenging for trophies.

His dribbling causes so many problems for the opposition whenever he's in 1-on-1 situations (the Everton game seemed like an anomaly in this regard). His decision-making is also very good, and he works so well with whoever moves into the left flank. His delivery's the only real issue for me as it's not good enough, but that doesn't mean it's bad; I just think that there are more productive wingers that we can play on the left.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Anyone watching SSN right now? They're talking about stand-out United players and Merse looked absolutely devastated when someone told him Young isn't in the England squad :lol:

Hull City 0:0 Man Utd

Bwuk

Not his best game in midfield the day, bizarre that he started there and Di Maria on the wing.

I actually think he could become a half decent midfielder though, ala Milner. Hard worker and decent enough athlete.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
Looked like he didn't know where to be, understandable. If we were going to experiment, I'd liked to have seen him swap with mata

Walters_19_MuFc

Van Gaal talks about balance then puts Young central. I guess he might be experimenting for next season, and I get the feeling he wanted to see Di Maria on the wing again, but it really didn't work. Young, in the last couple of months, has arguably been our most dangerous attacking player down the left wing and should have played there today.

marlowe78

We had no wing attack with LVG's stupid decision to play Young centrally. DiMaria never came into the middle third and made himself available for a pass, which left Herrera with only Mata, Valencia, and Rojo to work with.

Aside from that, I give Young credit for turning things around this season and LVG for encouraging him as a starter. He will probably become a backup with Depay joining us but he is certainly worth holding onto.

Last edited:

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Makes sense to me to experiment with Young in CM today. Depay is likely to have the LW position locked up next season, plus we have Januzaj pushing for game time, so if Young is to stick around (he surely will) it would be beneficial for him and us if he could play in a second position. He's about to turn 30 too, so his pace will start to go and he will become less and less effective on the wing from here on.

Don't get me wrong I don't have particularly high hopes that it will work, but I think it's a logical thing to experiment with.

Oneunited26

Ashley young does fall into that squad player category, he has been starting allot lately, but for us to reach certain standards and raising the bar in our starting 11, he must be replaced by better players. The same applies with valdes valencia mata and fellaini, I would put rooney in that pool of players who need replacing. Hopefully depay is the start

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Had to laugh, we see the lineup and think either Mata or Di Maria would play in the central #10 role (where they are usually better), and the other one and Young as the wingers. Then in the actual game Young is in the middle.. Didn't do badly I thought, just he's obviously better wide. He's had a very good season though.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Strange decision by LVG to play him in midfield. He really can only play one position and that is winger and it showed today

DevilRed

Play him on the wing or don't play him at all.

He was terrific for us this season but we need better players. Valuable squad player for next year but like Fellaini, Rojo, Blind and even Mata, should not be first choice every week.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Massive improvement from his previous seasons at the club. Still, despite this his assists and goals ratio were poor.

Acole9

Outstanding
Was rather surprised to see him play in centre midfield. He was average yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.