Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kundalini

Offered little going forward but as others say, he was solid in defence. Turning into a Valencia and will be a left back by next season.

... I wrote that as a joke, but maybe it's not?
In truth, Young's attacking contribution this season has been ordinary, just the goal against Newcastle, assist to Falcao at Villa and a few decent crosses. It's his defensive play that has been impressive. Contrast with Zaha who has 3 goals and 2 assists in a similar amount of playing time but is woeful defensively.

Last edited:

m1y2

Hope he starts ahead of DiMaria, the Argie can't make a 5 yard pass.. Young would be utilized better if stayed on the pitch in the second half I guess, the game was much more open.. hope he's fit for the next game..

Sylar

Can see the difference when he went off and Di Maria came on, Whilst Di Maria set up the second goal (although that was centrally) and should have assisted a third (for Rooney), Young helped Blind so much that their right side (Sterling) was ineffectual bar the one moment in the first half.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Did well off the ball but going forward he offered too little and, as usual, just doesn't have a quality final ball currently

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Worked hard for the team and was solid but didn't offer enough going forward. But he's been very good of late and deserved to start.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Offered little going forward but as others say, he was solid in defence. Turning into a Valencia and will be a left back by next season.

... I wrote that as a joke, but maybe it's not?
I'd be intrigued to see him at RB instead of Valencia - I think Di Maria will regain his starting place eventually if he can get a little form going.

Bwuk

He works hard, but has zero end product. AdM got an assist, played the ball for the penalty, and should of had another assist for the Rooney pass, and that's despite people saying he was poor.

I'd actually play Young at left back at the moment to be honest. Blind is too slow.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He works hard, but has zero end product. AdM got an assist, played the ball for the penalty, and should of had another assist for the Rooney pass, and that's despite people saying he was poor.

I'd actually play Young at left back at the moment to be honest. Blind is too slow.
What sort of end product are you looking for ? He's got an excellent work rate and can slither past defenders in the opposing third to get the ball into the box. That and the odd goal here and there are about all we can hope for. He does need to take more shots on goal similar to what he did in his first year.

mu77

fuc4 me he did. if not for a great goal by mata it would have been for nothing. pass was behind him. united looked 10 times the team with young out there and i am not young's biggest supporters. and he waited too long to play rooney in.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
fuc4 me he did. if not for a great goal by mata it would have been for nothing. pass was behind him. united looked 10 times the team with young out there and i am not young's biggest supporters.
We didn't play worse because Di Maria came on. It was a matter of us not being able to sustain the insane intensity and possession of the first half and Liverpool making a strong push to get a goal back by thwarting our first half style.

Bwuk

What sort of end product are you looking for ? He's got an excellent work rate and can slither past defenders in the opposing third to get the ball into the box. That and the odd goal here and there are about all we can hope for. He does need to take more shots on goal similar to what he did in his first year.
Maybe some goals or assists? His crossing into the box has been poor in general. Everyone on here rants and raves about him at the moment, but he has one goal and one assist for the season.

He'd be better at left back imo, where his engine, work rate, pace and ability to overlap would make up for his lack of end product.

Robbie Boy

We missed him when he went off today. I never thought I would rather have Young on the pitch over Di Maria.

mu77

We didn't play worse because Di Maria came on. It was a matter of us not being able to sustain the insane intensity and possession of the first half and Liverpool making a strong push to get a goal back by thwarting our first half style.
we looked worse when he did. he did himself no favors with his overall play. looked a div catching that ball.

Devil may care

Decent game from Young, I thought he was a little over eager when he got in good positions though, perhaps wanting to shut the Villa boo boys up.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Yeah solid game with some very good moments. Didn't do much with his crossing and think he could have used Blind's runs better. Probably was trying too hard because it was Villa.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Justifying his position in the team at the moment. That being said, Blind showed him how it's done on the first goal. Crossing into the box is all well and good but when you have the opportunity to get your head up and pick a pass then you should take it.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Really needs to add end product to his game. It's obvious he's improved, but I still believe it was a case of him being that useless in the past that he now looks better, as opposed to him being brilliant.

That being said, in a big game I would pick him because of his defensive qualities and ability to listen to a manager's instructions. But he really should score a few goals and lay on some clear chances. It's not too much to ask from a winger at United.

mu77

played very well. he had some nice balls in and some not so nice. makes the other winger and rb play their arses off.

marlowe78

He looked a tad overanxious when he got near the penalty area and with so much adrenaline, I don't know why he didn't try a shot!

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
I dont see whats special about him and again today was the same thing. Di Maria, despite his poor level by his own standards is far more effective and should start against City.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He was grand in the first half and pretty good in the second half too. Absolutely bummed Hutton down that left hand side, to the point where they had to replace him at half time.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
He was grand in the first half and pretty good in the second half too. Absolutely bummed Hutton down that left hand side, to the point where they had to replace him at half time.
Hutton was injured, and it was Sherwood's moronic decision to keep him in for the final 5 minutes of the first half that largely contributed to them conceding the first goal.

Not saying that Young didnt have some moments in that first half though, but again he displayed no end product. At his age, and with the minutes he has received this year, it's not good enough IMO.

NessunDorma

It's games like this he'll have been bought for. A good Premiership player who can do damage to all but the best teams in the league. Put him with other good players, and he'll help you win far more often than you lose.

Not absolutely world class, but then not every player in the squad has to be.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Hutton was injured, and it was Sherwood's moronic decision to keep him in for the final 5 minutes of the first half that largely contributed to them conceding the first goal.

Not saying that Young didnt have some moments in that first half though, but again he displayed no end product. At his age, and with the minutes he has received this year, it's not good enough IMO.
Most of Young's moments are completely self-engineered, yeah he needed to be a bit better with that final ball... but he was causing them all sorts of problems on a consistent basis which kept them under pressure (and then the goal came due to some good work from him). It was his good play in fact that gave Blind two great opportunities to create something (one for the goal which was grand, and one from the short corner, where he should have done better).

NK86

Am I the only one who thought his final delivery was awful today? Had the beating of Hutton throughout the first half but them put in aimless crosses in the box. He has been very good for us but today seemed lile one of his less successful days productively.

Ixion

He can whip in good balls but he lacks that calm composure Blind and Di Maria have when they get into the same positions. Their crosses are a little more deliberate.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He lacks productivity, he does most of the football well (pass, movement, tracking back). It's just when it comes to delivering the final ball or take the shot that something misses.

Annahnomoss

He lacks productivity, he does most of the football well (pass, movement, tracking back). It's just when it comes to delivering the final ball or take the shot that something misses.
He looks so close to producing an assist all game long that you almost forget that he's just got one assist this year.

kouroux

He looks so close to producing an assist all game long that you almost forget that he's just got one assist this year.
I think he just loses focus when he has done most of the hard work. The final pass is the one where of the time, you need to really concentrate. The way I see it, subconsciously he sees it as enough when he gets past his opponents.

Revan

Assumptionman
He really has the worst end product on a player I have ever seen. He does every thing right, until when it comes to crossing/shooting when he always fails. He has one assist and one goal this season, which is by far the worst product of our attackers (not including Januzaj who barely plays). Di Maria despite not having (currently) as a good general play as him is far more effective.

Still good to see that Young has become from useless to very useful. If he can somehow learn to corss he would be a cracking player considering that he easily beats the players which have to defend against him.

kouroux

He really has the worst end product on a player I have ever seen. He does every thing right, until when it comes to crossing/shooting when he always fails. He has one assist and one goal this season, which is by far the worst product of our attackers (not including Januzaj who barely plays). Di Maria despite not having (currently) as a good general play as him is far more effective.

Still good to see that Young has become from useless to very useful. If he can somehow learn to corss he would be a cracking player considering that he easily beats the players which have to defend against him.
It is really frustrating because several times in each games, he toys with his fullback and creates space for himself which is something not many wingers achieve.

Ixion

I think he's actually a good crosser, much better than Valencia for instance, but it's too often just whipped into an area rather than aimed at a particular player which he needs to work on.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
I dont see whats special about him and again today was the same thing. Di Maria, despite his poor level by his own standards is far more effective and should start against City.
There isn't anything special about him but he does a good job going forward and also is good defensively. Where as Di Maria is better going forward but leaves us completely open down the left side when defending. In tight games against big side I think we should use Young and against the smaller sides where we have to do less defending I would play Di Maria and let him do some damage.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
There isn't anything special about him but he does a good job going forward and also is good defensively. Where as Di Maria is better going forward but leaves us completely open down the left side when defending. In tight games against big side I think we should use Young and against the smaller sides where we have to do less defending I would play Di Maria and let him do some damage.
I disagree... I think Adnan is a better investment for our future. Young turns 30 in summer and against lesser teams we dont need Young anyway.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I disagree... I think Adnan is a better investment for our future. Young turns 30 in summer and against lesser teams we dont need Young anyway.
I hope that after the City and Chelsea games we have Top 4 fairly secured and in the remaining games we give some of the younger guys some games. I'd rather Januzaj, Wilson, Pereira, and McNair get some minutes before the season ends rather than Young, Falcao and Valencia.

Status
Not open for further replies.