Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsch

We're already quite shit. And I don't think he's made a massive difference to us. Additionally, given that di Maria probably would have started in place of Young, I think he'd have performed similarly; if not, he'd have created as much, if not more.
Oh dear. :confused:

He's one hell of a player when his contract is running down.
We should give him a rolling one-week contract.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Sell him, his end product and final pass are driving me insane.

He has played well this year and his stock has gone up, I'm sure there are some clubs interested.

JR10

Supports
Still deciding

Disappointed we didn't win today but another great atmosphere, the kids loved it. Thanks for your support all season, it's been incredible, it doesn't go unnoticed

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

He has played well this year and his stock has gone up, I'm sure there are some clubs interested.
Why sell him though? Why not just keep him here as a squad player.

And never mind that, if he keeps this form then he'll keep starting games.

I often wonder if people actually watch the game now. Are you supporting the club or individual players?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
@Pogue Mahone @Man-United

I've used stats to specifically state that di Maria's season hasn't been as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I've never said he's been our best player; if you can find a quote where I've implied that, then please do so (as I don't remember).

As for Young being our best player, I just don't think he has. Players are judged on results, not effort. Is Park Ji-Sung remembered as a great for the effort he put in? No, I wouldn't think so. Young, for me, doesn't do enough which is partly why we've won 1 of our last 5. It's as if people on here are trying to make up for the times they overly bashed Young for his performances in 12/13 and 13/14 by now overly hyping these ones. I remember how many criticised Young last year for his "blind" crosses, which he's continued delivering this season, but it's all forgotten.

As for the di Maria performing to a similar level to Young, it's hardly farfetched. In, arguably his worst season, he's created and scored double the amount of goals Young has.

I'm all for effort and defensive responsibility, and I've quite enjoyed how much effort Young puts in with his tackling etc. But going forward, he's not good enough.

Do remember this is just my opinion.
I was talking about today's game.

He created our only goal, regularly beat his man, made 5/5 tackles, passed the ball accurately and generally played very well. He was, IMO, our best player on the pitch today (Hererra probably ran him close tbf).

You claimed that - had Di Maria started - he'd have "performed similarly". There's feck all evidence to back that up. Like I said, he's started 19 games for us. In how many of those was he our best player?

Classical Mechanic

I feel the key difference between Young and Di Maria that keeps Young in the team is that he very rarely gives the ball away. Di Maria, conversely, does it quite a lot.

Di Maria is more productive but Young fits the Van Gaal philosophy better. It was always said that Van Gaal would sacrifice stars for his system. His blind spot seems to only be with Dutch players.

adamwest

feck me, you're a barrel of positivity aren't you? He's been integral to us scraping top 4 this year, and in turn it not being an absolute disaster of a season.

Classical Mechanic

That and Young putting a shift in for the team, at both ends of the pitch. He's also completely stopped diving, which is good to see.
He is very good defensively. Better than Rojo at left back for me. I find it uncanny just how good Young is at looking after the ball. He is a more intelligent player than I realised. If only he had a touch more quality, or at least consistency with his quality.

Sylar

That and Young putting a shift in for the team, at both ends of the pitch. He's also completely stopped diving, which is good to see.
And if he does lose the ball he doesnt go down like hes injured waiting for sympathy like Di Maria does quite a lot which is frustrating as feck.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He is very good defensively. Better than Rojo at left back for me. I find it uncanny just how good Young is at looking after the ball. He is a more intelligent player than I realised. If only he had a touch more quality, or at least consistency with his quality.
If only he had a better left foot! Van Gaal likes winger on the 'wrong' flank, which means when he's usually on his left foot when he has his best opportunities to create. Would be a different story if he was playing those final balls with his right foot.

ForlansHair

He's infuriating in that he screws up the simple final pass.

He did it last week against Palace when he rolled it back to Mata instead of giving it to Falcao who was about 2 yards out, and he also failed to put it on a plate for Falcao today who had an open goal just after half time. Young had all the time in the world and shanked it straight at Ospina, so much so the commentator on my stream thought he was shooting until Dixon corrected him.

He's ok as a squad player but if we are serious about winning things he can't be starting every week. These are game defining moments that simply have to be taken. He got away with it last week thanks to Speroni, not today unfortunately.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's infuriating in that he screws up the simple final pass.

He did it last week against Palace when he rolled it back to Mata instead of giving it to Falcao who was about 2 yards out, and he also failed to put it on a plate for Falcao today who had an open goal just after half time. Young had all the time in the world and shanked it straight at Ospina, so much so the commentator on my stream thought he was shooting until Dixon corrected him.

He's ok as a squad player but if we are serious about winning things he can't be starting every week. These are game defining moments that simply have to be taken. He got away with it last week thanks to Speroni, not today unfortunately.
What exactly did he "Get away with"?! Are you saying if we had drawn last week it would have been his fault!?

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Pleasantly surprised that people are looking past his good performances lately. Credit to his mental strength, he has fought back and won himself the right to be a bit part player for United.

izec

Destroyed Bellerin today on a few occasions, loved it. His crossing is still a bit inconsistent, but he made a huge improvement this season, especially in taking players on and keeping the ball. Well done Ashley.

Crashoutcassius

So good again today, de gea has had an amazing season and i still think ashley is in with a shout

Not just going forward either, 50% of his performance is defensive

If mata could defend like him he would be playing for chelsea still and we'd be quoted 90m for him this summer

prarek

Been on a roll lately but today he was something else. Dominated Bellerin and Ramsay time and again. Every time he got on the ball it seemed like he could make something happen. MOTM without a doubt.

facund

You can, though. In our last few games, he's received so much of the ball, yet he's created two in five and we've only picked up 3 points from 15. Like I've said before, him and Mata, recently, have not done enough. You'd expect more from Man United wingers/creators.
2 assists every five games would equate to 16 assists in a 40 game season. If he achieved that then plenty of people would be raving about him. Damn, if he achieved that I might see him as the long term solution on the left.

You have shifted the time period and therefore the stats that I quoted which does weaken my argument but even still two assists in five games is a decent return, not enough to win five games I grant you but he should not be shouldering the burden of providing everything on a plate for the team week in week out. Few players do that and they are lauded suitably for the rarity that they are. I can easily understand why you would want more but to demand more from him when he is clearly giving his all in every aspect of the game (attacking, defending, pressing) seems to be a bit unreasonable. There are things you can criticise him for, and with no complaint from me, but he has been pulling his weight and then some recently, other players need to do the same and then we wouldn't be as reliant upon him as we seem to be at the moment.

It is not like he has been given a free rein in order to maximise his creativity. He is still required to do a lot of tracking back and be positionally disciplined as well as having to beat his man (or two in many cases due to lack of an overlapping fullback quite often and the fact that Fellaini makes a beeline for the far post as soon as he passes it to him) and then deliver a ball to an area usually packed with opposition bodies. Yes he makes the wrong decisions sometimes or fails to execute a perfect cross but that is true of any winger that has ever played for the club in my time as a supporter. I'm just confused as to the standards you are trying to hold him to as he is one of the few that has come out of this last period of matches with any credit IMO.

Interestingly enough I do agree with you on Mata though.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
With him playing like this I am starting to wonder if he would benefit from having a better player than Fellaini alongside him, I mean Fellaini does win a few balls but on the right Herrera manages to create so much by combining with Mata while Young is doing most of his work alone or after long balls from Mata. Also I think if we had a decent striker in place of Fellaini it would give Young more options to cross the ball on the ground rather than just try to lump it in

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He got away with picking the wrong option in a big moment and costing his team a goal. He didn't today.
It was hardly a "big moment" ... but I digress - I don't discount that he should have done better, but to say he "got away with it" implies that it was a lucky escape or something - which it wasn't, because you know, he then went on to create the goal we scored from.

Also, the keeper could have saved it, defenders could have blocked the cross, who knows...

Assume you've been in the Smalling thread saying about how he cost us the game today?

Crashoutcassius

With him playing like this I am starting to wonder if he would benefit from having a better player than Fellaini alongside him, I mean Fellaini does win a few balls but on the right Herrera manages to create so much by combining with Mata while Young is doing most of his work alone or after long balls from Mata. Also I think if we had a decent striker in place of Fellaini it would give Young more options to cross the ball on the ground rather than just try to lump it in
the real question is, should we have our most effective players in young and fellaini able to feed off each other by putting fellaini on the right side of midfield and letting him get to back post easier when young crosses. Mata has shown he doesn't have any of the qualities to get a decent ball into the box for fellaini and one of the most dangerous players in the league is being wasted

Oo0AahCantona

Problem is, he's improved immensely this year in his overall contribution but for us to get back to the very top, having a starting winger only contribute 8 goals in 28 appearances is not going to cut it.

Young seems to be one of those players who performs best under immense pressure.

1) Play shit
2) Get booed at and harassed by fans
3) Club buys seemingly superior replacement
4) Start giving good performances at every opportunity
5) Win back spot from seemingly superior competitor
6) Get lazy, start playing shit again

Repeat forever.

Last edited:

prarek

Young seems to be one of those players who performs best under immense pressure.

1) Play shit
2) Get booed at and harassed by fans
3) Club buys seemingly superior replacement
4) Eat bird shit
5) Start giving good performances at every opportunity
6) Win back spot from seemingly superior competitor
7) Get lazy, start playing shit again

Repeat forever.
Fixed.

Sam

He played really well today, but he always leave me feeling like I want more. Take today, he had Bellerin on toast, beat him numerous times, kept the ball very well, defended fantastically, got in great positions, and got the assist for our only goal. And yet, I was left feeling like he could have done more.

He gets into so many good positions, then delivers a good final ball 1 out of every 5 attempts. I guess that's his problem, its his consistency in quality, rather then a lack of actual quality.

ZDwyr

Was super impressed with him (again). His turnaround has been incredible. My MOTM.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He is the type of player who should never be sold, he never complains when he doesn't play and he tries his best when given the chance. Why the feck would you wanna sell him ? Rather blame the other supposedly more talented players who can't win the starting spot over him. It's not his fault if he's doing/trying more than others.

ForlansHair

It was hardly a "big moment" ... but I digress - I don't discount that he should have done better, but to say he "got away with it" implies that it was a lucky escape or something - which it wasn't, because you know, he then went on to create the goal we scored from.

Also, the keeper could have saved it, defenders could have blocked the cross, who knows...

Assume you've been in the Smalling thread saying about how he cost us the game today?
I never said he cost the game, he cost a goal.

Of course it's a big moment, it only wasn't a goal because Young was unable to play a relatively simple pass for a United winger. He literally had the whole of the left side of the penalty box to himself. I'm not sure you remember the event I'm on about.

He did well in creating the goal, but when you play for United it's not enough to to do well and then mess up the simple thing. He played well today but failed when we could've killed the game.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
2 assists every five games would equate to 16 assists in a 40 game season. If he achieved that then plenty of people would be raving about him. Damn, if he achieved that I might see him as the long term solution on the left.

You have shifted the time period and therefore the stats that I quoted which does weaken my argument but even still two assists in five games is a decent return, not enough to win five games I grant you but he should not be shouldering the burden of providing everything on a plate for the team week in week out. Few players do that and they are lauded suitably for the rarity that they are. I can easily understand why you would want more but to demand more from him when he is clearly giving his all in every aspect of the game (attacking, defending, pressing) seems to be a bit unreasonable. There are things you can criticise him for, and with no complaint from me, but he has been pulling his weight and then some recently, other players need to do the same and then we wouldn't be as reliant upon him as we seem to be at the moment.

It is not like he has been given a free rein in order to maximise his creativity. He is still required to do a lot of tracking back and be positionally disciplined as well as having to beat his man (or two in many cases due to lack of an overlapping fullback quite often and the fact that Fellaini makes a beeline for the far post as soon as he passes it to him) and then deliver a ball to an area usually packed with opposition bodies. Yes he makes the wrong decisions sometimes or fails to execute a perfect cross but that is true of any winger that has ever played for the club in my time as a supporter. I'm just confused as to the standards you are trying to hold him to as he is one of the few that has come out of this last period of matches with any credit IMO.

Interestingly enough I do agree with you on Mata though.
Very good post.

mufcwarm92

Sometimes I wonder what game people are watching. By far the best player on the pitch yesterday, one of many brilliant performances this season. One of very few players to make himself undroppable and the praise is richly deserved.

Jev

He's had a good season but looking forward to him not starting next season.
I don't get this opinion. I don't know whether Young can keep up this level but if he can, he should be one of the first men on the team sheet. Arguably our best outfield player this season and the only productive player we have right now. He's undroppable.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's not my favorite player but he deserves to remain. What message do we give if we start selling players who had done well with us? We'll be as cnuts as the team in white who sell players because they don't have a big reputation or aren't cute enough. We only have to make sure we don't give him a long term contract.

Also relying on Depay to be magnificent from day 1 is kind of stupid.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I like his passion and dedication to continue despite knowing he is only a one bad performance away from being booed again.

Viral United

Sometimes I wonder what game people are watching. By far the best player on the pitch yesterday, one of many brilliant performances this season. One of very few players to make himself undroppable and the praise is richly deserved.
Some fans will never praise young for whatever reason.
If he score hat-trick in next game, some members will moan about 'he has six short on target and only score 3 so its not good enough'.

RikRuud

My outfield player of the year. Excellent all season and is has improved dramatically. Hopefully he can carry this form into next season. Sign the extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.