Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Ye the cross he put in yesterday to Hernandez was perfect. Super ball.

I also liked the way we set up when Young come on. Him and Memphis hugged the touchline and made the pitch very big against Brugge. This is how I want to see us set up in the future, with Herrera or Mata as the 10.

Maroo

Good to see Young play well on the right wing. Surprisingly, he has not done well earlier there. Always a prettier sight seeing him whip in a cross from the right than from the left

Bwuk

Played well when he came on. Wouldn't be overly surprised if he started on the right against Swansea, especially since Montero plays for them on that side.

Swansea 2:1 Man Utd

Empire

He needs to step up his game, Memphis is only young and somebody needs to take the pressure off him or he needs to be moved to the right because even though Mata has been good that pace and dribbling still will give us another option on the right, Louis van Gaal is a good tactician last season he improved Young's performances through his tactics (use of Blind and Fellaini) and I'm sure he can do it again but Young needs to give him something to work with such as a cross that can find its man or a dribble that actually beats the player, or getting into those good positions and actually doing something. It can't be that hard.

Rooney also thrives off crosses and I think he would benefit from a natural wide player who hugs the line.

But obviously he can't be given a match until he does something worthwhile.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Game changer and played ten times better than Memphis but for me it's something other that stands out with Ashley.

It's his connection to the club and understanding how much of a game this is for the fans. In the literal meaning. He was working his ass off, you could see that he was as determined to show that United is the better club as every single one of the fans in the stands. He was injured at some point, got himself back up and then attacked relentlessly all the time as well. This is the additional 10% that you'd expect from every player in games like this, against City, Leeds, Arsenal or Chelsea. You know that if Ash played 90 minutes today, he'd still sprint his ass off in the 9xth minute for the ball just to win it back, he'd do that definitely.

Same applied to Schweinsteiger today, he was chasing the ball like a fecking bulterrier. Shame same can't be said about Memphis, this is something the kid has yet to learn, if it can be learnt.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
Game changer and played ten times better than Memphis but for me it's something other that stands out with Ashley.

It's his connection to the club and understanding how much of a game this is for the fans. In the literal meaning. He was working his ass off, you could see that he was as determined to show that United is the better club as every single one of the fans in the stands. He was injured at some point, got himself back up and then attacked relentlessly all the time as well. This is the additional 10% that you'd expect from every player in games like this, against City, Leeds, Arsenal or Chelsea. You know that if Ash played 90 minutes today, he'd still sprint his ass off in the 9xth minute for the ball just to win it back, he'd do that definitely.

Same applied to Schweinsteiger today, he was chasing the ball like a fecking bulterrier. Shame same can't be said about Memphis, this is something the kid has yet to learn, if it can be learnt.
Agreed. Also we seem to seriously under rate his ability to beat his marker. He seems to have the beating of any full back he's up against. Sure his final product is sometimes inconsistent and also he's not technically superior but he always has the beating of his fullback.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Shows he has genuine mental strength. He was certain to be sold after Moyes left fought and now has outperformed two big signings. His battle with Memphis still has a way to go but right now, he's the better player.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Im not a fan of his but I thought he made a big difference today when he came on. For all the things I perceive as his faults he really does come across to me as a player who goes out every game trying to do his best for the team and fans.

RRCE

Given his performances since Van Gaal took over, it's harsh that he's found himself on the bench. Credit to LVG for hauling Depay off today and putting Young on. He played very well and certainly impacted the result. It's a squad game and he'll see plenty of action this season, but I'd like to see a bit more of him in the coming weeks.

Sam

By hook or by crook, he's still our best attacking player. :lol: Seriously though, he was fantastic today. Didn't put a foot wrong, transformed our attack, and put in a massive shift defensively.

He has to be starting for now. Tbh, I'm not really sure why he was dropped in the first place. Memphis hasn't shown anything in the PL to warrant starting a head of him yet.

I've said it before, but he really does deserve massive credit for how he's turned his United career around. A few years ago I (like many others) really didn't like him (poor performances/diving) but his attitude and hard work has really turned it around. Well played Ashley. Probably my first attacking player on the team sheet right now.

Loublaze

ATLien
MOTM for me. Blind was MVP. The freekick he won led to our first goal and he made the assist for Martial's clincher. How was he not MOTM?

suheilsworld

Always hustling and looking to challenge the opposition fullback. Continues to be impressive. Kept ADM out last season, might just push Memphis to do better.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
MOTM for me. Blind was MVP. The freekick he won led to our first goal and he made the assist for Martial's clincher. How was he not MOTM?
Calling that an assist is a perfect example that stats can be misleading. It's more like Martial assisted him to have the assist.

Loublaze

ATLien
Calling that an assist is a perfect example that stats can be misleading. It's more like Martial assisted him to have the assist.
An assist is an assist, how is it misleading? He was the part of the buildup and the last player to have the ball before the goal scorer. He could've taken a different option just to be safe and keep possession but he played a positive ball throughout. Young impacted the game more than any other

Shimo

Young was good and he's shown the manager he will provide a threat going forward much like he did last season. I think him down the right and Memphis on the left is an option he LVG has to take a look at - Young is capable of shooting as well with his left as well as taking on defenders out wide.

As for MOTM yesterday - has a small shout but, Blind was exceptional - he did a job on Benteke defensively, saved off the line at 1-0 twice and obviously scored the crucial opening goal. Makes Young shout for MOTM really really small.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Did very well when he came on, and ended up offering more of a threat than Memphis. Will be interesting to see if he can work his way back into the starting 11.

Sigma

An assist is an assist, how is it misleading? He was the part of the buildup and the last player to have the ball before the goal scorer. He could've taken a different option just to be safe and keep possession but he played a positive ball throughout. Young impacted the game more than any other
It's an assist but he didn't really do anything incisive. Normally with an assist you expect a great cross or a defense splitting pass but this was just a 5 yard pass out on the wing. I wouldn't call that a game changing action.

Shimo

It's an assist but he didn't really do anything incisive. Normally with an assist you expect a great cross or a defense splitting pass but this was just a 5 yard pass out on the wing. I wouldn't call that a game changing action.
Who got the assist for Giggsy goal against Arsenal?

Obiorahking_

How so? If he did not commit that pass then there would have been no goal.

Obiorahking_

How?
An assist is the pass that led to the goal. No pass, no goal. It is just like how most of Higiaun's goals are tap-ins. Should we disregard almost all his goals because they were not 40 yard screamers? an assist is an assist.

Obiorahking_

His final ball was lacking a bit sometimes but he was very good yesterday. It is always great how Ashley Young always does his best when it matters the most and last game proved it.

NK86

How?
An assist is the pass that led to the goal. No pass, no goal. It is just like how most of Higiaun's goals are tap-ins. Should we disregard almost all his goals because they were not 40 yard screamers? an assist is an assist.
You are just trying to prove the post you quoted. Yes it is an assist but assists like these prove that stats are very misleading.

Can you imagine the guy who played the pass to Messi - when he ran through the entire opposition to score perhaps one of the best solo goals ever - claiming to one and all that it was he who "assisted" Messi with that goal. He would be laughed out of any place.

Shark

@NotShark
Strange thing to say, but he's one of my favourite players currently at United. The perfect squad player who never moans, takes his chance when he gets it and always does his best. Seems to be great in the dressing room too.

Changed the game for us on Saturday.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
To be fair though, it's only due to other peoples incompetance that Young doesn't have two assists already this season - so I think he deserves to have one to his name for the Martial goal.

ants7

His transformation under van gaal is staggering
This. He used to be the first name popping to my mind when thinking about players who must be sold. But somehow LVG has turned him in to a very good squad player. Pretty much changed the game against Liverpool. What a difference a manager can make to some players.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This. He used to be the first name popping to my mind when thinking about players who must be sold. But somehow LVG has turned him in to a very good squad player. Pretty much changed the game against Liverpool. What a difference a manager can make to some players.
But but but hes a shit manager with poor man management skills

facund

Young seems to be the most reliable forward option we have (based on the last six months or so) and has a good recent record of playing an important role in the big matches. He is by no means the most gifted of our forwards (possibly the least) but his attitude and application has been exemplary since LVG took over and so it would be incredibly difficult to justify not starting him at the moment.

The fact we play PSV next makes me think Memphis will start but we might see a bit or re-jigging in order to fit Young in somewhere. He should be first pick of the front four on merit IMO and we tend to look a better team with him on the pitch.

We just need to get him scoring more regularly, which he does have in his locker, as I seem to remember him getting a decent amount for Watford and Villa in the past but the goals have dried up these last few years.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Ashley Young the striker?

Forwards James Wilson and Andreas Pereira have been added to the travelling squad, while Ashley Young has thrust himself into contention for a more prominent attacking role should Van Gaal require a further option up front.

“If the manager wants me to play there then yes, of course I would,” said Young. “I can play in lots of positions and I have done that under the manager, whether it is up front or in midfield.

“Hopefully I can play there [through the middle] but it's up to the manager.”

Loublaze

ATLien
To be fair though, it's only due to other peoples incompetance that Young doesn't have two assists already this season - so I think he deserves to have one to his name for the Martial goal.
Whether people think he deserves it or not its still officially an assist

Status
Not open for further replies.