g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Ashley Young image 18

Ashley Young England flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Having Young (or Shaw at some point) on the other side (and to a lesser extent Blind) from Valencia gives Tony a break in game at least. When he's at RB and Darmian's at LB, it's pretty much expected of Valencia that he's getting up there constantly during the game, but when Young's doing it on the other side, he can sit back and take a breather whilst Young goes up the wing.

Sylar

I disagree. He's more reliable than Darmian, simply a better footballer.

Offensively you can't even mention them in the same sentence and, perhaps controversially, I prefer Young defensively too. Darmian is technically so limited that he puts us under pressure. He's like a goalkeeper with zero distribution: it isn't necessarily always him but his incapability on ball affects the whole team. Defensive play is so much more than just 1v1 defending.
Im not sure. I think Darmian is good defensively under Jose. And I think for big games it depends whos in front of him. I expect Rashford to be and I wouldnt be surprised if Jose goes that way.
Personally id like to see Young though so I agree on that point.

TheForgottenOne

Im not sure. I think Darmian is good defensively under Jose. And I think for big games it depends whos in front of him. I expect Rashford to be and I wouldnt be surprised if Jose goes that way.
Personally id like to see Young though so I agree on that point.
I see a lot of posts comparing Young with Darmian, but the comparison betweenYoung and Blind is far more relevant.

Last year clearly showed Darmian got played when we were up against better opponents, indicating Mourinho rated Darmian the best when defensive quality was needed at the LB spot. Blind gets played against the weaker opponents, when we are very likely to dominate the game and passing and offensive ability is more important.

If Young were to play more because he is is better going forward, it will be at the expense of Blind, and not so much Darmian.

Sylar

If Young were to play more because he is is better going forward, it will be at the expense of Blind, and not so much Darmian.
Oh, I totally agree with that. Blinds advantage is a left foot so he doesnt have to keep cutting back. But Young has been going down the line and I think LB (or LWB) suits him. IMo, hes one of our best crossers and for games we will dominate possession id rather have him than anybody else cos of his movement and ability to cross.

Rai7

I loved Ashley Young as a left-back. Defensively capable and outs in a few good crosses, two of which were served on a platter for Lukaku and Lingard to score. Would not mind him being the teams starting left-back from here on out until Shaw gets it together and finally integrate himself into the team.

meninred

So now we have five players for left back position.In my view young and valenica are true wingers and the way they are performing should be appreciated considering it is primarly a defensive position.

kundalini

His cross was one of the few moments of quality in an otherwise underwhelming 47 mins. Yellow card was careless given the match situation and Southampton's lack of penetration up to that stage.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Valencia should take note of Young's crossing.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
This guy gives us a little appetizer of what we'd be with two attacking FB's that could cross.

Zlatattack

This guy gives us a little appetizer of what we'd be with two attacking FB's that could cross.
He needs to push up more, force Rashford further up the pitch. Southampton focused all thier attacks down the left, so why not put pressure on the other side.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's really bad at almost all the basics defensively. Constantly in the wrong position. It's great to have an extra attacking option but I'm not convinced it's a risk worth taking.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He's struggled defensively. Mou could learn something from LVG about subbing fullbacks, at least.

Hojoon

Very good cross for the goal but he's terrible at defending apart from giving it his all.

NinjaFletch

Young at LB is a bit like Young anywhere else on the pitch. Hardworking, has his moments, and ultimately not good enough.

Don't mind seeing him there against teams that we won't do any defending against, but he's out of his depth as soon as he's attacked.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm really not sure why Blind was randomly dropped for Young at LB. It's just one of those bizarre tinkerings that managers do that really get you riled up.

el3mel

That was a good cross but I was hardly impressed with him during the course of the game.

Still insisting he's better as a RB than a LB.

BananaIceman

Very good cross for the goal but he's terrible at defending apart from giving it his all.
Pretty much this. This is what happens when you convert a winger into a fullback. Same thing with Valencia to an extent.

el3mel

Pretty much this. This is what happens when you convert a winger into a fullback. Same thing with Valencia to an extent.
No, Valencia is very strong defensively. He's terrible going forward, contrary to Young in everything.

BananaIceman

No, Valencia is very strong defensively. He's terrible going forward, contrary to Young in everything.
I disagree. Valencia's defensive abilities were poor today. Did you see how much room they had on that side today? Also, he was much better going forward (though by a slim margin).

el3mel

I disagree. Valencia's defensive abilities were poor today. Did you see how much room they had on that side today? Also, he was much better going forward (though by a slim margin).
I'm talking in general. Valencia has been very solid defensively since the last season. His crossing is what is failing him.

BananaIceman

I'm talking in general. Valencia has been very solid defensively since the last season. His crossing is what is failing him.
Except you said he was solid defensively today in another thread. He really wasn't. Also, I would argue that although he is primarily a defender fullbacks really should contribute to our offensive game in an effective manner. Valencia does not do this consistently. We really should have added to our depth in both fullback positions. Watching Aurier today, despite the red card, I couldn't help but feel that we missed out on a golden opportunity.

el3mel

Except you said he was solid defensively today in another thread. He really wasn't. Also, I would argue that although he is primarily a defender fullbacks really should contribute to our offensive game in an effective manner. Valencia does not do this. We really should have added to our depth in both fullback positions. Watching Aurier today, despite the red card, I couldn't help but believe that we missed out on a golden opportunity.
I didn't notice him doing much troubles defensively today tbh with you, expect some rushing tackles, but it was his normal game.

Agree with upgrading our fullbacks starting from the next season with some modern full backs.

Devil may care

http://www.tribalfootball.com/artic...elighted-with-young-form-at-left-back-4200568

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho is delighted with the form of Ashley Young at left-back.

Young created the winner for Romelu Lukaku in victory at Southampton yesterday.

Mourinho feels Young eases the pressure on the similarly attack-minded Antonio Valencia on the opposite flank.

"If you can have two [attacking] full-backs on both sides, not just Valencia on the right, if you can have another one on the left [like Young] it's positive for us on many occasions," he told MUTV.
Just thought the comments were interesting given how often it's said that Mourinho likes one of his FB's to be defensive.

Ashley R1+O

Superb professional and though he is a winger he will give everything for the club. That ball in was fantastic, a refreshing sight from our fullbacks who have been very poor with their general decision making and delivery this season.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I just love this guy. Since he came here. He is not class player, but i love how he always gives maximum when he plays. You can see that he cares for a result, for this club. People often throw phrase "good squad player" for lots of players who are not maybe good enough for a club and i don't like that phrase. I think that bench players must be nearly good as first team players. But with young i make exception.
He can play 5 positions( rb,lb, rw,lw, st), has some flair in his play( yes he does:)) and lets be honest , he has enough skill to do something in attack. He can dribble past defender and put decent cross in the box. Again i don't claim that he is a player who is united quality but when you put together all what he brings to squad, i am happy with having one of that kind of a player in the squad. But only one..

TheForgottenOne

He can play 5 positions( rb,lb, rw,lw, st)
I like the guy as well, but you have to admit that it's pretty unbelievable that we consider him as an option for RB/LB. For a club as big as United, that should be not acceptable.
Things are as they are though, and considering that I would consider Young to be the current best choice for LB against opponents we should easily dominate.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I like the guy as well, but you have to admit that it's pretty unbelievable that we consider him as an option for RB/LB. For a club as big as United, that should be not acceptable.
Things are as they are though, and considering that I would consider Young to be the current best choice for LB against opponents we should easily dominate.
True, but then Darmian manages to start football matches for Italy, who are famed on being the defensive geniuses of world football... so you know, the world is a bit fecked.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

el3mel

Amazing how people looked to him as a squad player and each season he always looks to have a role in the team. He's having starting to shape as a starter in our current team now.

I love to have such a kind of player in our squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.