4 Assists
6 Clean sheets
14 Yellow cards
1 Red card
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 3, 2019

Bola New Member

Defended fairly well and got in some good attacking positions, but that attacking output was poor again today.

Dalot is far from the finished article, but deserves to start in v Fulham in one of our easier games
  2. Feb 3, 2019

TMDaines Full Member

Don't really know what people want from a full back. I think full back is one of these positions people just imagine other sides have people putting in Alves-level attacking performances and Ramos-level defending performances week in and week out. I'm trying to work out what people think Robertson, TAA, Bellerin, Tripper, Aurier, Azpi, etc. are performing like week and week out. Young again had a good performance. Most crosses attempted for United, most crosses completed, most long passes bar the keeper, most chances created and most interceptions. People have an irrational hatred for him for some reason and think we're above having a converted winger at full back, whereas lots of successful players change position at some point in their career.
  3. Feb 3, 2019

RC89 Full Member

Generally been decent this season. The last two games though... Forget his crossing, it's as though he and Sanchez are having their own competition and who can cock up the most passes. Simple passes at that, not even elaborate ones where he's just guilty of trying a little too much.

Leicester seemed to focus on his side of the pitch when attacking too.
  4. Feb 4, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

He was piss poor. They just did everything they wanted. I don't know how anyone can think he had a decent game.
  5. Feb 4, 2019

arthurka Full Member

Man how I miss having good fullbacks.. Young cant cross to save his life.
  6. Feb 4, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

The day we replace this guy and get a real quality is the day we will send out a statement of intent to win the league.
  7. Feb 4, 2019

Fridge chutney Full Member

I think this position plus an additional CB are the ones we desperately need to address. We'll also need another solid DM.
  8. Feb 4, 2019

Seven Seas Sardines Full Member

In Dalot, we believe.
  9. Feb 4, 2019

NoPace Full Member

I think some people just pay attention to whoever has the ball? Young was involved in most of what Leicester did well. It's not really his fault, he's a 33 year old winger, but he's adrift positionally and it's too late to bank on him improving in that sense.

Seems clear to me the plan should be to sign an RB who's ready to start immediately and with Dalot and Laird as 2 of our more promising youth it's fine if they're in their mid to late 20s.

Then Dalot and Young can be the backups to Shaw and this new RB and hopefully that looks like 40 starts each for Shaw and the RB and maybe 20 for Dalot and 10 for Young (ideally against weaker teams at home as he's much better going forward than defending).
  10. Feb 4, 2019

Kostov Full Member

If Woodward needed someone opening his eyes regarding our RB problem, Young did it himself yesterday. Very, very bad game for Ashley, and it's worrying how this shocking games are becoming more frequent. I'd let him leave in the summer to be honest.
  11. Feb 4, 2019

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Almost broke my TV when he overhit a ten yards pass to Lingard in a great position.
    Turd player. A club with ambition have no business extending his contract. Feck him off for Christ's sake.
  12. Feb 4, 2019

el3mel Full Member

Don't put Robertson in the same sentence as Young. He's leagues ahead of him. One of the best LBs in the world currently.

Aurier and Bellerin are shite anyway so that comparison reminds me of when people were saying Valencia is the best RB in the league while in fact being better than the likes of Moses, Aurier and Bellerin was hardly achievement.
  13. Feb 4, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

It's not only his position but also his waywardness. Just giving the ball away without any consideration under no pressure.
  14. Feb 4, 2019

kr0nix Full Member

It helps to mentally prepare yourself for a feck up before he receives the ball, limits the disappointment factor.
  15. Feb 4, 2019

Rajma Full Member

Defensively, since he’s not a muscle job or have the huge inner strength he simply never presses the opponent and just runs in the parallel putting a lot of pressure on our CBs and CMs as teams find it easy to pin us down vis his flank as he rarely challenges but simply follows you around. We should stop playing him ASAP.
  16. Feb 4, 2019

Josh 76 Full Member

Young is the type of player who will have a 'solid' game every 4 or 5 games, then is crap for the next few.
    A squad player at best .
  17. Feb 4, 2019

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

There was a point where he tried to Kung fu kick a clearance when he could easily have passed it to a team mate. He ended up giving it the the Leicester player in front of him.
    Anyone saying he had a good game needs their eyes checked.
  18. Feb 4, 2019

TMDaines Full Member

Clearly Robertson has given people that perception, but not sure how a rational, objective analysis of the performance of both players has Robertson being one of the best full backs in the world and Young being crap.
  19. Feb 4, 2019

Ish Lights on for Luke

Yet there's talk of a contract extension/renewal for Young :mad:
  20. Feb 4, 2019

Kostov Full Member

I felt it's not the worst idea when it first came out, since we could use him as a squad player, but his decline is getting worse and we are better giving those minutes to a youngster, while buying a proven RB.
  21. Feb 4, 2019

Ish Lights on for Luke

Spot on. I've basically had the same opinion.
  22. Feb 4, 2019

Kostov Full Member

I rate this kid from Palace Wan-Bissaka, but he might not be the best option to rotate with Dalot. We'll see come the summer what our plans are.
  23. Feb 4, 2019

Ish Lights on for Luke

Indeed. I'm struggling to think of many RB's good enough, in their prime, we can sign. And as you mentioned, we have Dalot as backup. But we'll see. I'm sure there are a few out there who'd fit the bill.
  24. Feb 4, 2019

SS Full Member

Can't wait to see him against Mbappe.
  25. Feb 4, 2019

el3mel Full Member

You're the one who is seriously underrating him, but this is another discussion.
  26. Feb 4, 2019

TMDaines Full Member

Seriously underrating Young?
  27. Feb 4, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

There was a moment in the beggining of the second half when he let them just walk thru and DeGea just got his finger tips to it and it went for a throw in.
    I don't understand how Manchester United can have such a poor player as Captain?
  28. Feb 4, 2019

SadlerMUFC Full Member

Agree with everything you say other than wanting "Ramos-level defending". That would be a nightmare :lol:
  29. Feb 4, 2019

Idxomer Full Member

My favorite Young moment is when he decided too late to go back in goal during a free kick, stopped midway and in result played a couple of players onside and rattled De Gea bit.

[​IMG]
  30. Feb 4, 2019

MadDogg Full Member

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
    It's something Young does fairly often. I can't figure out whether it's a deliberate tactic from the coaching staff or if it's Young deciding for himself to do it (or possibly De Gea). I remember it worked brilliantly against Liverpool last season, and it's helped out one or two other times as well. However that's the second time it's almost hurt us by putting everybody onside.
  31. Feb 4, 2019

Idxomer Full Member

It's a weird one. I remember Herrera trying it a couple of times before and then ended up changing his mind and getting back into his position.
  32. Feb 5, 2019

Mcking Full Member

I think it was against Arsenal at the Emirates. Ozil's freekick.
    I recall against Swansea when Sigurdsson was about to take a freekick, Herrera wanted to cover the post, but De gea - I think - instructed him to go to the wall. Sigurdsson proceeded to beat De gea at that post.
  33. Feb 5, 2019

Amar__ Incredibly Nasty Man

Supports:
    MK Dons
    It's ridiculous.
  34. Feb 6, 2019

Doracle New Member

Clearly he’s told to do that, just as Lingard is told to adopt the behind the wall crouch. That’s a great spot the ball picture though.
  35. Feb 6, 2019

Andersonson New Member

Not much difference between Young and Shaw tbf. Even though, Young has looked tired recently. I hope he gets rested for Fulham and is back in shape for Psg.
  36. Feb 6, 2019

Sterling Archer Full Member

Wasn't that kind of the role he was intended to play when we first signed him? And since then has somehow wound up as a full back captaining the side. He has his good games no doubt. Just think we need to invest in this position with a younger, better player
  37. Feb 6, 2019

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

This from the M.E.N.

12:37KEY EVENT
    Young 'agrees' new United contract
    TalkSport are reporting a new contract has been agreed for Ashley Young.
  38. Feb 6, 2019

11101 Full Member

I suppose until we get someone else in or Dalot establishes himself we have no choice, but christ that's depressing. Especially if we've backed down and given him 2 years.
  39. Feb 6, 2019

Tmac1090 New Member

We're really going to start next season with Ashley Young at RB aren't we? :(
  40. Feb 6, 2019

Dennis Viollet New Member

happy with that, great servant for the club, well deserved.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.