Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Steve

He has versatility which is an important feature in any football squad. He can play both left-back and right-back so if Shaw or whoever a potential new RB get injured, he comes in and he comes with experience in a squad that's probably going to have a smaller average age soon.

If we're doing a keep one of two with Valencia and Young, then I'm glad we're choosing Young. It is worth noting that Young will be 34 years old in the summer so I don't think he has much longer to go in his career anyway unless he's undergoing a Henrik Larsson/Ryan Giggs level of conditioning.

Last edited:

laughtersassassin

Yes, we should 100% keep young he should just only ever play when there are injuries. He simply cannot be a starter. His positioning as a fullback is awful. Not blaming him as he is only a makeshift option. Stats, as shown a post or two back, don't really matter all you got to do is use your eyes to see how many issues he causes us.

This reminds me of Valencia when people around here took 6 months to a year to finally admit he was playing awful. Age gets to players it is ok to admit when they aren't;t playing well enough. Same goes for Mata. He has been well below the acceptable rate for most of the season. He struggled to age with the league too.

We do ourselves a disservice thinking some of our starters are good enough. Smalling is often called good enough to start too but at the end of the day, he needs to be replaced asap despite his acceptable performances as he is simply a liability too much.

That's absolute nonsense, if he's consistently anything its that he is a solid performer most matches. He has his moments but christ what is it with supporters these days? If a player makes a mistake in a game sell them is the instant reply. I had a so called supporter say Pogba is a complete disgrace yesterday.

Seen this on a forum I'm on elsewhere and Young was compared to the other top sides right full backs and he has the most interceptions and clearances of any other and the only area he fails in is fouls, which you could attribute to being caught out of position and having to make rash decisions?

That aside at age 33 he's out performing Walker at City, Trippier at Spurs, about the same as Azpiilucueta and only bettered by TAA at Liverpool.

The criticism from most of our fan base is completely unwarranted.

Stats are from Whoscored and from about 3 weeks ago roughly btw.

I suppose this shows why you shouldn't always rely on stats. Watch him play, look where he positions himself, look how often opponents get in behind him. Posted earlier in the season but still relevant and holds true, even if its settled down a bit. In our first 9 games we conceded 5 goals in the 4 games he didn't play. We conceded 11 in the 5 he did play, and he had some involvement in 9 of them.

Keefy18

I suppose this shows why you shouldn't always rely on stats. Watch him play, look where he positions himself, look how often opponents get in behind him. Posted earlier in the season but still relevant and holds true, even if its settled down a bit. In our first 9 games we conceded 5 goals in the 4 games he didn't play. We conceded 11 in the 5 he did play, and he had some involvement in 9 of them.

Well as I said originally the number of fouls possibly tells us his positioning isn't great or his legs are starting to go and struggles to get back in time and has to make rash challenges.

Feel free to go back to the goals we leaked early on in the season and I recall most of them came from the left side with Shaw day dreaming and constantly being caught out himself.

I don't think Young is anything special, I think he's just a reasonably solid performer and probably our most consistently performing full back in recent years. I'd be fine with an upgrade coming in to challenge Dalot and moving Young as a back up to LB or god forbid if both RFB we're injured then there too.

Irwin99

Thought he was class tonight after Bailly went off. A big interception at one point that prevented a PSG goal. Good man :devil:

mu4c_20le

Actually defended well when he tucked in to become a CB, some of his clearances werent far enough but defensively he was solid.

Idxomer

He was better than usual and it's 2nd time he performed well enough with Dalot playing in front of him.

Andersonson

A captain tonight, the way he yelled and bossed people around tellls you he has the presence. He ran his socks off, blocked a goal and kept every one at their toes. Many newspapers give him 8/10. I agree. An underrated performance

Yagami

Good post resistant
I swear - after Rashford scored - he purposefully did a spin to face di maria just to taunt him :lol:

Sauldogba

Dredful in the first half but was decent/good in the second half even though he had a brain fart.
Still dont want him anywhere near our team next year and if he stays i can see us winning nothing again.
He needs to just go, hes not good enough.
His positioning in the first half for a professional footballer was shocking and we were almost punished.

el3mel

Mixed bag. Great moments mixed with some trash one. Definitely not poor overall though.

tomaldinho1

I swear - after Rashford scored - he purposefully did a spin to face di maria just to taunt him :lol:
wasn't that Lukaku?

It is something Young would do though. Honestly, when the camera cut to Di Maria welling up, that was such a happy moment for me

kundalini

A few moments of really good defensive play but some awful moments too. Things improved a lot once Bailly was substituted. Before that, our right-hand side was totally disorganised.

FujiVice

I thought he was really good tonight. A proper leader. Hope Dalot makes that right back position his own next year, but he's well worth his place at this club. Shame he gets so much stick. He's 34 and had a bunch of injuries over his career. Its amazing he's still got so much left in the tank considering he plays every game these days.

SAFMUTD

I have mixed feelings with him, he made some really good clearings, specially one on Mbappe that was critical. But also made a critical mistake trying to give the ball back to the CBs that didn't end up in goal because we were lucky.

His professionalism can't be questioned, but I still think RB is a position we should definitely improve.

SER19

Ashley Young deserves so much more credit and respect from united fans than he gets. This is not necessarily in light of tonight’s game as we had many players play better but he has been a fantastic servant at united and has admirably transitioned from an attack minded winger to a very competent full back, and a leader among a squad that needs them.

I have never seen him give anything but 100% when playing for united, and at the risk of sounding vague he has the mentality needed to be here. It’s why he was signed by Ferguson and survived every manager since despite our lows.

It seems to me he has struggled to shake off the dislike he earned earlier in his career and of course he had a couple of big dips in form. But his situation reminds me of Milner at Liverpool, Barry at city and some other ones where the unassuming player evolves with age to become a really important part of a balanced team and squad.

Ole is clearly taking us in the right direction but PSG (arsenal too) are an example of what can happen a squad without winners and players who keep tabs on all around them. Senior players, despite their talents waning need to be eased and transitioned from squads and deserve more than a meltdown every time they make a mistake or lazy moans about being ‘past it’. It’s good to see guys like Herrera, Matic, lukaku emerge as a new guard of senior player but I feel young, Smalling, de gea, even Jones all need to be transitioned rather than cleared out as some suggest (de gea aside obviously). Winning pedigree is so crucial.

He has nothing but my respect. (Valencia too, but he may well be the first to go and he should go with total admiration from fans)

Sauldogba

Ashley Young deserves so much more credit and respect from united fans than he gets. This is not necessarily in light of tonight’s game as we had many players play better but he has been a fantastic servant at united and has admirably transitioned from an attack minded winger to a very competent full back, and a leader among a squad that needs them.

I have never seen him give anything but 100% when playing for united, and at the risk of sounding vague he has the mentality needed to be here. It’s why he was signed by Ferguson and survived every manager since despite our lows.

It seems to me he has struggled to shake off the dislike he earned earlier in his career and of course he had a couple of big dips in form. But his situation reminds me of Milner at Liverpool, Barry at city and some other ones where the unassuming player evolves with age to become a really important part of a balanced team and squad.

Ole is clearly taking us in the right direction but PSG (arsenal too) are an example of what can happen a squad without winners and players who keep tabs on all around them. Senior players, despite their talents waning need to be eased and transitioned from squads and deserve more than a meltdown every time they make a mistake or lazy moans about being ‘past it’. It’s good to see guys like Herrera, Matic, lukaku emerge as a new guard of senior player but I feel young, Smalling, de gea, even Jones all need to be transitioned rather than cleared out as some suggest (de gea aside obviously). Winning pedigree is so crucial.

He has nothing but my respect. (Valencia too, but he may well be the first to go and he should go with total admiration from fans)
:lol::lol:.

Rozski

Great post you should post more
This made me laugh.

But I agree with your post. I don’t think enough fans take into account all the factors that it takes to have a successful team. There’s a lot more to it than just the on field performances and older players with the right mentality are worth keeping around to pass that down to those that will follow them.

ManRed

Agreed. He has been a fantastic servant and played wherever the team needs him and not done too bad. Its not easy for players to transition into new postions or move positions between games

Also he was shouting at Bailly and trying to get him into position all throughout the start and when he saw it wasn't working he took the extra responsibility of slottig himself in RB.

SER19

This made me laugh.

But I agree with your post. I don’t think enough fans take into account all the factors that it takes to have a successful team. There’s a lot more to it than just the on field performances and older players with the right mentality are worth keeping around to pass that down to those that will follow them.
Yeah, go through every successful side we’ve had and we’ve had players who are constantly scapegoated or receive completely exaggerated criticism, play key roles.

Rozski

Yeah, go through every successful side we’ve had and we’ve had players who are constantly scapegoated or receive completely exaggerated criticism, play key roles.
Yes. The current ones are easy to pick out. The Smalling thread has a very similar vibe.

SER19

Yes. The current ones are easy to pick out. The Smalling thread has a very similar vibe.
And criticism can be very fair sometimes, some of them go through very bad spells and should be questioned, but the extremism is always stupid.

Rozski

And criticism can be very fair sometimes, some of them go through very bad spells and should be questioned, but the extremism is always stupid.
Agreed. This place is very reactionary and I think it makes it hard to have good discussions a lot of the time.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

This ^

I'm amazed at how a lot of our supporters on this board tend to scapegoat players. They don't judge based on performances. They have preconceived bais against certain players and blame them for everything. During the match thread today there were some people blaming Young for PSG's goal. WTF?? Bailey turns his back on his man and completely ignores him but some how Young got blamed??? Mind you, it didn't surprise me. In fact, the only thing that did surprise me is that nobody found a way to blame Jones for the goal...

NoPace

Had a great month after a period where he struggled positionally quite often, should join Dalot as a backup fullback with Shaw on the left and a proper RB on the right.

Sauldogba

This triggered me. Type something you incompetent bastard.

Its hard to type a serious response when you see absolute rubbish being spouted.
I know people have opinions but bloody hell.

In what world has Ashley young been a great servant?
Andy Cole is a great servant.Dwight yorke is a great servant.Ryan giggs and Paul Scholes are great servants.

This guy has been here for nearly a decade and has not had one great season yet hes a great servant :lol:.
Hes been garbage for most of his time here.
I will just leave you with a quote that i wrote in the Valencia thread and the same applies to Young.

This.
Hes been here 10 years and has had two great seasons and thats it.
We moved him to rb because he wasnt good enough as a winger and we were too tight to buy a right back.
Hes the embodiment of our decline and should not be seen as a great servant just because our board were not ambitious enough to upgrade on him when they really should have.
About 5 years ago.

meamth

Its hard to type a serious response when you see absolute rubbish being spouted.

Andy Cole is a great servant.Dwight yorke is a great servant.Ryan giggs and Paul Scholes are great servants.

This guy has been here for nearly a decade and has not had one great season yet hes a great servant :lol:.
I will just leave you with a quote that i wrote in the Valencia thread and the same applies to Young.

This.
We moved him to rb because he wasnt good enough as a winger and we were too tight to buy a right back.
Hes the embodiment of our decline and should not be seen as a great servant just because our board were not ambitious enough to upgrade on him when they really should have.
About 5 years ago.
Fans are so fickle now days. You are the embodiment of caf's worst side.

Go play and buy your own Ultimate team.

SER19

This.
About 5 years ago.
The irony of coming in laughing off the tag of a great servant for a player who’s been here nearly a decade and has captained us, while citing Dwight Yorke is pretty funny. Yorke - a player I loved- had a legendary season here and is rightfully remember fondly, but he played less than 150 games here and his final season and a half before he was unceremoniously shown the door he was a shadow of the treble player, occasionally showing his brilliance while going head to head with fergie due to a very unprofessional lifestyle and supposed half arse approach. But this qualifies as great servant over 250 games almost, never failed to give everything, always put the team first and played a hand in many trophies. I don’t mean to be disrespectful but given that you were 5 when Yorke signed for united might account for your very incorrect statement.

Also to compare players who are debated in a great servant category to the likes of Giggs and Scholes is frankly stupid. Next up, ‘was van nistelrooy decent in the box?,’

I’ve had a quick look through your posts and slamming our players seem to be something of a hobby of yours, even solskjaer isn’t immune from your all knowing wisdom. Given your estimation of so much of our team we should be staring mid table in the face. You’re very aggressive in stating your opinion as fact.

He’s obviously being chosen as captain because several top managers know less than you, including O’Neill at villa who made him captain , one of the youngest ever in the League. In recent years his professionalism and performances returned him to the international set up and a starting spot in the World Cup, incredibly given how ‘garbage’ he is. Regular praise from a range of pundits in recent years must also be evidence of the worlds idiocy.

Pretty much every bit of evidence contradicts your opinion, but I guess green smileys compensate for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.