Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarrou

Thought he looked really good in general, what a great prospect for us if he can play anywhere along the back-line

Gutted for him that he cost us a goal, but he'll learn from that

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Good game,minor the mistake ofcourse.
Why was he played out of position ?
Dumb.

Alabaster Codify7

I didn't think he looked good, as the commentators mentioned a few times he was poorly positioned a lot and had to relay on his athleticism to bail him out. However, it wasn't his fault really because there was no need for him to be playing at LB last night, it was an odd decision from Ole. Luckily it wasn't too costly and we scraped a point despite his error. He'll be fine, play him again on Thursday.

R'hllor

Some posts in here...just woah. Local lad and mentioning Darmian of all people, yea feck the fact guy is right footed CB trying to play a LB for the first time ever as starting XI for United.

SambaBoy

Played really well I thought, looked pretty clueless on the ball however which is too be expected for a youngster playing out of position on his weaker foot with not a lot of options in front of him.

I have high hopes for him, seems like he's now better in the air which was a weakness of his before his loan move to Villa.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
First half he looked very calm and good. Soon as the second half started he was like a different player. One instance where he just pointed for someone else to take his man (Maguire had to come out and Arsenal ended up with a chance). Thought his legs looked gone or something, in comparison to what I seen in the first half.

red4ever 79

Very good performance aside from the mistake. No idea why Ole decided to play him on the left when he is right footed and move Young to the right when he is used to playing at LB. Feck up again by Ole. That being said he looks more than ready and I would have him either ahead of Lindelof at CB or ahead of Shaw at LB

Stevondo8

Did well generally I thought, was obviously never going to offer much long forward from lb but he was one of the better performers last night IMHO

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I thought he was great for the first half an hour then progressively worsened.

I'll forgive that because he hasn't started many matches and it would be unfair to expect him to maintain a high level of performance right away. Maybe Arsenal attacked his side more in the second half and exposed some weaknesses.

Dr. Dwayne

Very good performance aside from the mistake. No idea why Ole decided to play him on the left when he is right footed and move Young to the right when he is used to playing at LB. Feck up again by Ole. That being said he looks more than ready and I would have him either ahead of Lindelof at CB or ahead of Shaw at LB
I'd say Ole was more worried about Arsenal's pace on the left. Imagine Young vs Pepe, better to play him against the inexperienced Saka.

Axel offered very little going forward so I'm not sure why you'd have him ahead of Shaw?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I thought generally he was good but he did look uncomfortable on the left even if he mostly dealt well with Pepe, can understand the reasoning for playing him there but I wouldn't like to see us doing it again. Dreadful mistake, it's harsh but he did cost us all three points there, I'm sure he'll bounce back.

romufc

Quite funny reading posts on here.

A Cb played at LB and on the ball looked quite composed, showed a good turn of pace. Although, you would expect a young man to make positional mistakes when he has probably never played LB.

He made a mistake with the pass which happens, but on the same note if Lindelof made an error like that there would be calls to get rid.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Good defensive game but then we had zero attacking threat from that side.

Would stick him as CB only.

Lee565

Can he not be tried as a defensive midfielder, he has enough about him on the ball coupled with his physical traits to be given a try in that position instead of having to see pogba so deep in our own half when he should far further up the pitch.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Great first half, poor second half. Nervous, obviously a bad pass and positional problems, got sucked into the middle too much. Perhaps not so strange what with being a centre back and all.

Hope it's the last time we see him at full back and soon he's Harry new partner in crime.

Dr. Dwayne

Great first half, poor second half. Nervous, obviously a bad pass and positional problems, got sucked into the middle too much. Perhaps not so strange what with being a centre back and all.

Hope it's the last time we see him at full back and soon he's Harry new partner in crime.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Really needed to concentrate on staying wider when Arsenal were sending in crosses. But, it didn't cost us and he can work on it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I thought he was great for the first half an hour then progressively worsened.

I'll forgive that because he hasn't started many matches and it would be unfair to expect him to maintain a high level of performance right away. Maybe Arsenal attacked his side more in the second half and exposed some weaknesses.
I think mostly he felt very uncomfortable on that side, and with no natural left footed player in front of him, it made things pretty uninspiring on that side.

Dr. Dwayne

I think mostly he felt very uncomfortable on that side, and with no natural left footed player in front of him, it made things pretty uninspiring on that side.
He's an incredible athlete, so I think you could play him anywhere and he'll look tidy. Needs to play to progress but that will come.

gza the genius

I thought he was mostly really good. Sure he got sucked out of position occasionally and made a sloppy mistake which led to the goal but I don't really know what you can expect from a young right footed center back being asked to play left back.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Good game,minor the mistake ofcourse.
Why was he played out of position ?
Dumb.
All I can think off is that if Shaw is out for sometime, then Ole may well fancy Tuanzebe at left back rather than Young or Rojo. Wan Bissaka will hopefully be back soon, then Young will be out of the team. Good thinking possibly? He didn't do such a bad job in that position last night. Ole may keep him there even when Shaw is fit, but I would prefer him more central.

Sylar

A Cb played at LB and on the ball looked quite composed, showed a good turn of pace. Although, you would expect a young man to make positional mistakes when he has probably never played LB.

He made a mistake with the pass which happens, but on the same note if Lindelof made an error like that there would be calls to get rid.
Read other threads. Some are blaming Lindelof for the goal we conceded.

romufc

Read other threads. Some are blaming Lindelof for the goal we conceded.
I just did and commented on it. it is absolutely ridiculous.

How can we expect to play out from the back when the defender is being criticised for showing for the ball?

The state of our fan group....

Tuanzebe made the mistake, he knows it and tbh it is a mistake that can happen when you are playing out from the back. There is no point blaming him because he knows he cost the team a goal. He showed in the game, he can be a very good defender for us.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Shame to make the mistake and fade a fair bit after, as he'd started out looking fairly swish.

But maybe just shows he's behind Lindelof for a reason right now, as centre back has more riding on it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
All I can think off is that if Shaw is out for sometime, then Ole may well fancy Tuanzebe at left back rather than Young or Rojo. Wan Bissaka will hopefully be back soon, then Young will be out of the team. Good thinking possibly? He didn't do such a bad job in that position last night. Ole may keep him there even when Shaw is fit, but I would prefer him more central.
Young's normally quite decent when he's playing on the left. He has the odd shocker, but most of the time he provides more than what I'd expect Tuanzebe to. It's when he's played on the right where Young is terrible.

OverratedOpinion

Shame to make the mistake and fade a fair bit after, as he'd started out looking fairly swish.

But maybe just shows he's behind Lindelof for a reason right now, as centre back has more riding on it.
Although as a centre back he would probably be a lot more comfortable and we might not see these mistakes.

I see a top class defender in there somewhere. I don't think I've ever felt the same about Lindelof even at his best.

lumeyes

Lindelof has made multiple errors playing in his natural/preferred position. Axel at LB was a risky venture, especially considering he is yet to play enough games this season

Hip Hop

He is clearly more talented than Lindelof and will take his spot sooner or later.

romufc

Lindelof has made multiple errors playing in his natural/preferred position. Axel at LB was a risky venture, especially considering he is yet to play enough games this season
Okay, so you are backing Rashford? Because his natural position is the LW so if he plays ST and makes mistakes it should be forgotten and blame others ? oh Pogba didnt play the pass to him with enough pace so his problem?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He's a CB - a very good one too in my opinion.

I'd give him a chance there with Maguire. I don't dislike Lindelof but he's had a rough start to the season so let's see what Axel can do.

Potential future captain this guy is.

Bwuk

He's a CB - a very good one too in my opinion.

I'd give him a chance there with Maguire. I don't dislike Lindelof but he's had a rough start to the season so let's see what Axel can do.

Potential future captain this guy is.
Why change it? Lindelof and Maguire have been far from the issue in our side, and are starting to look like a good partnership.

I like Axel but I feel this forum has far too much emphasis on wanting to chuck the youth in.

AneRu

I'd like to see him have a go in a defensive midfield or a back 3 than left back.
Yep a back three with Dalot and Williams as wingbacks seems apt. I think a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 will work for us given our issues in midfield and the injuries we are contending with right now - a 3-4-3 has the benefit of including Dan James whilst also relieving Rashford of the pressure that comes with being a lone forward.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Yep a back three with Dalot and Williams as wingbacks seems apt. I think a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 will work for us given our issues in midfield and the injuries we are contending with right now - a 3-4-3 has the benefit of including Dan James whilst also relieving Rashford of the pressure that comes with being a lone forward.
Yes, although with a 3-4-3 I'd rather play Wan Bissaka as the right center back and move Lindelöf to the bench if it meant giving Tuanzebe a run. The forward line could also be James - Martial - Greenwood with Rashford as the reserve as he rarely ever does well on the right.

Bestietom

Thought he looked really good in general, what a great prospect for us if he can play anywhere along the back-line

Gutted for him that he cost us a goal, but he'll learn from that
I've looked at this pass several times and I really think that Lindelof took his eye off the ball and didn't move onto to it quicker. I know he could have taken the easy route and passed back to Maguire, but Lindelof had a clear run with the ball if he had picked it up. IMO. I like him and he is quick and can tackle.

AneRu

Yes, although with a 3-4-3 I'd rather play Wan Bissaka as the right center back and move Lindelöf to the bench if it meant giving Tuanzebe a run. The forward line could also be James - Martial - Greenwood with Rashford as the reserve as he rarely ever does well on the right.
Agree with that even though I worry about our central creativity on the ball if Pogba is out so maybe Gomes in place of another forward and play a 3-5-2? I think AWB still has some defensive flaws wrt positioning which could be exposed in a new and more difficult role.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Agree with that even though I worry about our central creativity on the ball if Pogba is out so maybe Gomes in place of another forward and play a 3-5-2? I think AWB still has some defensive flaws wrt positioning which could be exposed in a new and more difficult role.
He isn't much good going forward, so his best role might be the kind of thing Kyle Walker plays under Southgate.

lumeyes

Okay, so you are backing Rashford? Because his natural position is the LW so if he plays ST and makes mistakes it should be forgotten and blame others ? oh Pogba didnt play the pass to him with enough pace so his problem?
No I am not backing Rashford. In any case, what you have is an unfair comparison because:

1. Rashford has played several times as a SF, Tuanzebe has no experience at LB, at least not in a competitive professional setting. He played at RB during his stay at Villa and was just an okay defender, it was only after they got a manager who was brave enough to move him to CB position that Villa fans began to sing his praise.
2. Rashford is an attacker, so can afford to mess up a lot unlike a defender whose mistakes can be made very obvious.
3. Even with Tuanzebe's error, his general play in that position is better than Rashford's (say average play thus far this season), either at LW or ST.
4. I am not sure Rashford's natural position is even LW, he seems lost at the moment. He's been equally bad at LW, it's just that a bad SF gets a lot of attention because of missed channces, the same way a full back will have people on his neck when his errors cause us to concede.

I am not saying to forget Axel's error, however using it as a yardstick to place him lower than Lindelof who is quite prone to errors even when he is being played in his preferred position isn't fair. Place Lindelof at LB and see him struggle. Give Axel the amount of game time Lindelof has received at CB and you'll understand why a lot of people rate him. Last season the manager of Aston Villa told Ole to forget about spending 50 million on a "foreign" defender because, according to him, Axel is a class act.

MagooDad

I am not saying to forget Axel's error, however using it as a yardstick to place him lower than Lindelof who is quite prone to errors even when he is being played in his preferred position isn't fair. Place Lindelof at LB and see him struggle. Give Axel the amount of game time Lindelof has received at CB and you'll understand why a lot of people rate him. Last season the manager of Aston Villa told Ole to forget about spending 50 million on a "foreign" defender because, according to him, Axel is a class act.
I doubt he would struggle that much since he partially played left back (and right back) in the Sweden team that won U21 Euros and was named player of the tournament for Sweden.

I'm guessing Ole wanted to keep his CB pair intact, otherwise Tuanzebe as CB and Lindelof as LB would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.