Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lon ball2

Mistake aside, he played very well considering he was out of position. Apart from his head dropping abit after the mistake he showed heart too

MAME DIOUF 32

Thought he looked really composed and solid throughout the first half but once he made the error he was all over the place for a while.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He was great first half but he was always fighting against the odds being so right footed on the left. No idea why he was played there.

RonaldoVII

Played well but in the end his mistake cost us two points. Don't recall him crossing the half way line much either which was a bit of a hindrance. Presume he gets a free pass as he's a local lad.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Not sure about judging his potential United career from this performance. He cost us the victory this match by making a poor pass but it doesn't define him at this point in his career.

Would honestly rather see him in CB instead of Lindelöf who seemingly offers us nothing.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Played well. It might seem unfair, but I do think the missed pass is as much as Lindelof's fault. Realistically Lindelof should be on the frontfoot in that situation with that space in front of him, to transition from defence to attack. You can see Lindelof asked for the ball, then took two steps back before he got the pass and got caught on the back foot not attacking the pass. It is unfortunate but I think it is more of a rookie mistake by Lindelof, while Tuanzebe just tried to play out from the back.

Devil may care

He's class, my MOTM, yes that one slightly misplaced pass will unfortunaely get all the attention but he was playing out of position and did superbly defensively and was quality on the ball, he reads the game very wellfor such a young player.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I’d like to see him play at CB with Maguire. He made a mistake but was solid other than that & he shouldn’t be playing LB.

edcunited1878

He was great first half but he was always fighting against the odds being so right footed on the left. No idea why he was played there.
I think he was matched up against Pepe and even though Pepe was arguably the worst player on the pitch tonight, Axel matched Pepe step for step. The young kid on the other side had a much better match than Pepe. Nelsen then caused a little more problems down Axel's side as he was a little bit out of position.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Young plays left back regularly, why was Axel playing there? Doesn’t make any sense. Looks like he’ll be a good player.

edcunited1878

Played well. It might seem unfair, but I do think the missed pass is as much as Lindelof's fault. Realistically Lindelof should be on the frontfoot in that situation with that space in front of him, to transition from defence to attack. You can see Lindelof asked for the ball, then took two steps back before he got the pass and got caught on the back foot not attacking the pass. It is unfortunate but I think it is more of a rookie mistake by Lindelof, while Tuanzebe just tried to play out from the back.
No, that's a terrible square ball from Axel. The weight of the ball, the angle of the pass, just off. Really good first time pass by the Arsenal player and by then everyone was taken out.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
No, that's a terrible square ball from Axel. The weight of the ball, the angle of the pass, just off. Really good first time pass by the Arsenal player and by then everyone was taken out.
Yeah, I'm probably biased because he is a young player. It was a bad weighted pass, but I do think the loss of communication there is not too much to ask from Lindelof. He shouldn't move backwards, he is supposed to be the one playing out from the back not pass back to De Gea. In training without the pressure, Axel could have made the same badly weighted pass and Lindelof would have attacked it.

Sylar

It was a bad pass by Axel. It wasnt that hard of a pass either. It was just too in front of Lindelof and cos of the first time pass, it took out three of our defenders.

Thought he did really well overall. But he should be played at CB. I want to see him and Maguire get a few games there together. I really dont think it has as much benefit as some people think playing a youngster out of position just for the sake of him playing.
LB and CB are two completely different skillsets. If this was seven a side in Goals or something, sure. But in this league it doesnt help.

edcunited1878

It was a bad pass by Axel. It wasnt that hard of a pass either. It was just too in front of Lindelof and cos of the first time pass, it took out three of our defenders.

Thought he did really well overall. But he should be played at CB. I want to see him and Maguire get a few games there together. I really dont think it has as much benefit as some people think playing a youngster out of position just for the sake of him playing.
LB and CB are two completely different skillsets. If this was seven a side in Goals or something, sure. But in this league it doesnt help.
Agree with his original positioning, but he was forced into duty and did well. His error is independent of position. He just got caught out playing football and it happens. These are growing pains of young players in big pressure situations. He did the best he could and his worst play was a pass he'd usually make 9 out of 10 times. Fine margins at the highest levels, we saw it again today. When you're not good enough as a group, you quickly realize how far a little bit goes.

Sylar

Agree with his original positioning, but he was forced into duty and did well. His error is independent of position. He just got caught out playing football and it happens. These are growing pains of young players in big pressure situations. He did the best he could and his worst play was a pass he'd usually make 9 out of 10 times. Fine margins at the highest levels, we saw it again today. When you're not good enough as a group, you quickly realize how far a little bit goes.
Dont disagree with this. But at the same time, a bigger issue is I dont know any other 'big' club that plays as many people out of position as we do. And this is an issue going back to Fergie days (but he got away with it cos he could make it work).
For example, we could have played Young LB and Axel RB if required as its one less person 'out of position'.

I do like Axel though and more often than not, he looks composed. I think he needs to hold up his hands and say the error was his fault. He had simple passes to Maguire and Lindelof but didnt execute it.

edcunited1878

Dont disagree with this. But at the same time, a bigger issue is I dont know any other 'big' club that plays as many people out of position as we do. And this is an issue going back to Fergie days (but he got away with it cos he could make it work).
For example, we could have played Young LB and Axel RB if required as its one less person 'out of position'.

I do like Axel though and more often than not, he looks composed. I think he needs to hold up his hands and say the error was his fault. He had simple passes to Maguire and Lindelof but didnt execute it.
United continue to play players out of positions, totally agree. Seeing the lineups and knowing AWB was out, I really think the staff put Axel on the left to match up with Pepe and his pace. He did well + Pepe was, again, pretty poor.

Young did his best on the right and didn't see Kolasinic go up the pitch too much. As a unit, I think the back line did well against a better attacking line up.

jackal&hyde

I was just thinking he is playing well out of position until disaster strikes and his mistake changes the momentum of the game. Also out of position a few time but his pace got him out of jail.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Made a mistake, but all the signs are there that he is going to be a hell of a defender for us.

I think he'd be starting at CB soon for us.

norm87cro

Played very well until the mistake. But he carried the ball very well on a few occasions yesterday and he basically did what we all expect from Pogba week in week out. Unfortunately for him defenders are judged on mistakes and it dropped a 7.5/10 game to a 6 for me.

Kostov

He made a mistake and cost us, I can live with him making mistakes now. The incompetent git on the other side of defense made 2-3 similar mistakes that could have easily cost us and he is our captain.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
There were signs that the real Tuanzebe was back today. He’s a big talent.. just needs to keep playing with confidence and conviction. He’s been lacking that arrogance in his game for a long time but yesterday was :drool:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There were signs that the real Tuanzebe was back today. He’s a big talent.. just needs to keep playing with confidence and conviction. He’s been lacking that arrogance in his game for a long time but yesterday was :drool:
Yeah, the arrogance in his game was brilliant to watch, his first touch was so good. He made mistake, it happens but he dealt with everything so easily. Probably first time he plays as LB. Love players like him who are good footballers than just good defenders.

POF

Young plays left back regularly, why was Axel playing there? Doesn’t make any sense. Looks like he’ll be a good player.
It made perfect sense. Pereira played narrow on the right, James wide on the left. So United needed the more attacking of the 2 full backs to play on the right to provide width.

He also shut out Pepe very convincingly.

He sums United up this season. Signs of promise, some very impressive moments but when the big moments arrive that decide the outcome of the game, it's a mistake rather than a moment of quality.

A real shame for him but that mistake was the difference between a comfortable win and a 1-1 draw.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Calm, composed, assured in everything he does. The mistake was disappointing but outside of that error I would say he was close to flawless. Mistake aside, he plays his way out of tight positions brilliantly, he made light work of any arsenal attacker on his side and he played the smart and simple passes that you'd expect from a young player being played out of position.

For me, he's not far from displacing Lindelof.

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I would say he's very near displacing Lindelof at centreback.

He looked lost and pretty average with the ball going forward. Definitely not a full-back.

Nickosaur

Played well but in the end his mistake cost us two points. Don't recall him crossing the half way line much either which was a bit of a hindrance. Presume he gets a free pass as he's a local lad.
Well you'd be presuming wrong.

ants7

Very decent gig from him. Should be kept around the first team as he's clearly knocking on the door. That's Bailly going down the pecking order another notch.

DRM

Put him at centre back in place of lindeloff

Renegade

It made perfect sense. Pereira played narrow on the right, James wide on the left. So United needed the more attacking of the 2 full backs to play on the right to provide width.

He also shut out Pepe very convincingly.

He sums United up this season. Signs of promise, some very impressive moments but when the big moments arrive that decide the outcome of the game, it's a mistake rather than a moment of quality.

A real shame for him but that mistake was the difference between a comfortable win and a 1-1 draw.
Comfortable win at 1-0? Have you seen us play, we would have gone into hanging in for our lives mode right till the end.
Very unfortunate mistake for the lad. You would expect Lindelof the ball player to be making a stride forward into the space but he hesitates. Still no excuse though.

Raw

He and Maguire should be our CB partnership in the future. Would be great for England if it clicks.

Meep

He looked really good despite that one mistake. Strong on the ball and succeeded in solving almost every problem presented to him on the pitch. Want to see more of him.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Darmian would have been slaughtered for a performance like that. Mistake leading to a goal, lost track of Pepe multiple times, offered nothing going forward.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Darmian would have been slaughtered for a performance like that. Mistake leading to a goal, lost track of Pepe multiple times, offered nothing going forward.
One is a fullback..

settembrini

Such a shame that pass marred an otherwise good performance. I doubt many right footed centre backs would cope better at left back than he did.

A-man

I can understand if people saw good, promising signs and actions in him, because so did I, but to say he had a great game apart from the mistake that cost the goal? First half was ok defensively, but did nothing going forward. Think he had one crossing and one long pass in the whole game. Second half, still nothing forward and poor defensively. Often lost position and did not defend his side where Arsenal had an open street and could hit cross after cross. Also lost possession some times for no reason at all.

Most of this could be explained by the awkward position and him not being used to high tempo and pressure in the PL.
But to say he had a great game? Not really.

I think the responsibility is on Ole. You do not develop young players through failures, but through success. Why let him play his first PL match from start (not really first, but for some time) in this position? He should play CB, or at least RB where he has been good before. Some even suggest midfielder, I have no clue about that. But clearly not as LB. And let him get used to the tempo and pressure by advancing him. First PL match should not be against a top6 team and in an awkward position.

Last edited:

Zlatattack

And yet defenders can't have these sorts of mistakes. Was stupid and naive: but some fans want yoof, so have to accept the collateral damage that comes with that.
He was a CB played at LB. Any mistakes are on Ole.

He could have played Young at LB and played Dalot at RB, or played Williams at LB (who at least plays in that position naturally).

Zlatattack

Maybe he should get a free pass because he's a right footed centreback and not a left back?

Status
Not open for further replies.