Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's become ridiculously overrated on here. He was consistently out played by Tyrone Mings last season but somehow he is now our best CB. He did no better than Smalling or Jones today either and was even caught out and put in a terrible tackle. While Jones dealt with more attacks and cut them all out with ease. He's a good talent. He's nowhere near our best CB at the moment.
Don't think he is being over rated personally. Tyrone Mings is older and has more PL experience on his side. Completely disagree about he did no better than Smalling. Perth were a pretty poor side yet Smalling still managed to find himself the wrong side of an attacker on more than one occasion.

Coops73

Seemed solid and confident, potential surprise of the season.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Don't think he is being over rated personally. Tyrone Mings is older and has more PL experience on his side. Completely disagree about he did no better than Smalling. Perth were a pretty poor side yet Smalling still managed to find himself the wrong side of an attacker on more than one occasion.
How is calling him better than Lindelof, Smalling and Jones anything but overrating him when he quite clearly isn't. He isn't better than Mings but is better than every CB here? Shall we sign Tyrone Mings then?

And Axel found himself being forced to put in a ridiculous challenge that could have got himself sent off or at least booked and then did pretty much nothing else as Jones cleaned up the few threats they created.

It is simple, he isn't our best CB.

ArjenIsM3

He played better than Smalling did against the same side. Has been brilliant for Villa too. Obviously he has great potential. Let's hope he can keep it up.

Mickson

How is calling him better than Lindelof, Smalling and Jones anything but overrating him when he quite clearly isn't. He isn't better than Mings but is better than every CB here? Shall we sign Tyrone Mings then?

And Axel found himself being forced to put in a ridiculous challenge that could have got himself sent off or at least booked and then did pretty much nothing else as Jones cleaned up the few threats they created.

And Lindelof, Smalling, Jones etc played in one of the best teams in the league in front of one of the best keepers in the world and still managed to concede 54 league goals. Yes, Tuanzebe has things he has to work on but so does the others. He's the one with the highest potential and based on what I've seen for the past 3-4 months, he's the best one. I know it's a big statement, but I believe that. I get your point though.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's become ridiculously overrated on here. He was consistently out played by Tyrone Mings last season but somehow he is now our best CB. He did no better than Smalling or Jones today either and was even caught out and put in a terrible tackle. While Jones dealt with more attacks and cut them all out with ease. He's a good talent. He's nowhere near our best CB at the moment.
He's a new fan favourite at the minute. Give it a few months and a wobbly performance or two and he'll be on the chopping board too.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He was pretty quick and that was it. Got beaten in air couple of times . Out of our 4 CBs played today Jones > Smalling > Rojo > Axel.

In Rainbows

Smalling was caught on the wrong side of attackers twice today. I don't think Tuanzebe is the best, or as good as Smalling at defending yet. I think he should be the 3rd CB and would be relegated to 4th if Bailly caught form. Wasn't a fan of Jones being kept, and would still rather have Axel over Jones at this point.

limerickcitykid

And Lindelof, Smalling, Jones etc played in one of the best teams in the league in front of one of the best keepers in the world and still managed to concede 54 league goals. Yes, Tuanzebe has things he has to work on but so does the others. He's the one with the highest potential and based on what I've seen for the past 3-4 months, he's the best one. I know it's a big statement, but I believe that. I get your point though.
They play for one of the best teams in the league because they are better than him. Axel meanwhile played in the Championship and was consistently outplayed by Tyrone Mings. Tyrone Mings wouldn't be our best CB. Villa conceded 61 in a far weaker league.

It doesn't matter what the others have to work on, they are better than him. Nor does potential make him better than players. Sure he can be better than them, but he isn't. You like Axel, that is cool. That doesn't make him a better footballer than he actually is.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He was pretty quick and that was it. Got beaten in air couple of times . Out of our 4 CBs played today Jones > Smalling > Rojo > Axel.
Jones our best? Had to recover because of shit positioning loads of times.

Nonsense rankings.

RuudTom83

The act of stupidity is to do the same thing and expect a different outcome.

Smalling and Jones have proved they are not up to the task. Why not give the lad his chance.

Mickson

They play for one of the best teams in the league because they are better than him. Axel meanwhile played in the Championship and was consistently outplayed by Tyrone Mings. Tyrone Mings wouldn't be our best CB. Villa conceded 61 in a far weaker league.

It doesn't matter what the others have to work on, they are better than him. Nor does potential make him better than players. Sure he can be better than them, but he isn't. You like Axel, that is cool. That doesn't make him a better footballer than he actually is.
I think you know that it doesn't work like that.

"Consistently outplayed" according to who? I saw a lot of Axel last season and although Mings was good I wouldn't say he was consistently outplaying Axel. Well, I guess we will find out this season if he's up to the task or not.

dutchred

"Consistently outplayed" according to who? I saw a lot of Axel last season and although Mings was good I wouldn't say he was consistently outplaying Axel. Well, I guess we will find out this season if he's up to the task or not.
A lot of Villa fans thought he was better than Mings

DoomSlayer

I honestly thought he was better than Smalling and Jones. The former was making silly fouls whilst the latter showed zero leadership when paired with a younger CB.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Outplayed? They both play together. It’s not like Mings put him on the bench. Not sure how can you manage calling a player who played very well in starting XI as outplayed? Just because Mings acted more like a leader in defense over 21 years old centre back doesn’t mean it’s called outplayed.

Adcuth

No, but he's our third. And given this is the first game if the season when he wasn't here last year, he did well. He has proven hes premier league quality even though he soent last year in the division below, now he needs games to get him to the next level

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Could have picked any performance thread but people are reading too much into 45 minute performances where the opposition didn't have a shot.

A-man

I'm leaning towards one more season at Villa, personally. Honestly if we get Maguire I'd hope we move two of them on, they're just injury-riddled liabilities at this point, who are just taking up squad spaces.
It is alredy too many CBs. Tuanzebe, Lindelof and Bailly need minutes to develop, and Jones, Smalling and Rojo need minutes just keep up. There is no way they can keep all those players if Maguire joins. That means they will basically rotate one spot for six players. Makes more sense trying to get rid of two CBs and establish one solid CB pair and at the same time develop Bailly, Tuanzebe and Lindelof (Lindelof should however be part of that established CB pair if he continues to improve from last season).

A-man

Plus, Perth put very little pressure on any of our CBs today meaning anyone would've looked good there. I think he's got a bright future but I'm not convinced he should be near our first team yet.
The pressure put on the defenders is also one major difference between the PL and the Championship. A CB in the Championship gets all the time in the world to pick a pass while the pressure in the PL often is very strong.This has also been a success factor for some British teams in the CL.

limerickcitykid

According to myself who regularly watched Villa and 99% of their supporters on the Villa forum I frequent. He's easily regarded as better than Axel and he isn't better than our CBs. In fact, Mings just had a thread on here where he was mocked.

Outplayed? They both play together. It’s not like Mings put him on the bench. Not sure how can you manage calling a player who played very well in starting XI as outplayed? Just because Mings acted more like a leader in defense over 21 years old centre back doesn’t mean it’s called outplayed.
Everyone in a starting XI isn't the same level. Not very hard to understand. Mings was better than him. Fairly simple concept.

In Rainbows

I visited this forum https://www.villatalk.com/forum/16-villa-talk/ frequently after his performances and I never got the idea that they easily rated Mings better. If they did, it wasn't easily and I also watched his performances. All in all, they were very happy with Mings and Axel. They only had problems with Axel when Axel wasn't a CB. Their only complaint about Axel is that he's still not that strong in the air, which is something all of us agree even if we rate him.

What I will say, to add a negative onto the air criticism, is that he does look less coordinated than when he played for United's youth. That could be due to a small growth spurt or him bulking up. However, he's still been really composed at the back even if I do rate him as our 3rd best CB, and maybe 4th when Bailly is at his best. I don't rate Jones over him though and if he is still better, there is no point in not binning Jones and letting Tuanzebe develop to become better than Jones and the others.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I visited this forum https://www.villatalk.com/forum/16-villa-talk/ frequently after his performances and I never got the idea that they easily rated Mings better. If they did, it wasn't easily and I also watched his performances. All in all, they were very happy with Mings and Axel. They only had problems with Axel when Axel wasn't a CB. Their only complaint about Axel is that he's still not that strong in the air, which is something all of us agree even if we rate him.
Axel to me looks better on the ball than Mings. A player like Axel would help improve the build up from the back whilst Mings wouldn't be a improvement on Smalling in anything IMO.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Axel to me looks better on the ball than Mings. A player like Axel would help improve the build up from the back whilst Mings wouldn't be a improvement on Smalling in anything IMO.
Him and Maguire would be a good combo.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What people fail to understand is that Mings is a better CB right now for Villa. But for us, Axel is better due to his ability on the ball. Jones and Smalling provide everything Mings would IMO.

R'hllor

If we are able to develop him properly, we will have a proper CB

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
According to myself who regularly watched Villa and 99% of their supporters on the Villa forum I frequent. He's easily regarded as better than Axel and he isn't better than our CBs. In fact, Mings just had a thread on here where he was mocked.

Everyone in a starting XI isn't the same level. Not very hard to understand. Mings was better than him. Fairly simple concept.
Based on what?

From I watched both played in equal level but Tuanzebe is just more composed & better on the ball which is what we need.

Mings is just more of a leader at the back than him which is understandable since he’s much older. Mings showed more tackles but Tuanzebe showed more composure.

I got Aston Villa fans mate played with me on Sunday league and he loves both of them equally, nothing I heard he said Axel being outplayed. Someone on here also mentioned that in Villa’s forum they rated Axel higher or equal.

Sounds like you are just making this up.

Last edited:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Easy game for Axel but good for fitness.

MrBest

Lindelof and Tuanzabe would not be be good enough for next year. We miss someone who dominates in the air, has leadership and is proven. Axel may turn out to be an amazing player in 4 years but I think a loan move would be the best thing at this point. At Villa he will play 38 games and will be probably 30 more times than he would here next year. The option there is would be to make him our 4th choice centre back but league cup shows and the occasional league outing would not help him move forward. He knows the Villa set up, the fans love him so going back there would be perfect. Also, there are really not many centre backs out there at top teams that can hold down a position.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would prefer it's a team that tries to play out from the back. Think it's a shame we can't move on some of the other defenders to give him chances, but it's best if he plays a full season in the prem.

Bwuk

I didn’t think Villa could take him out on loan again?

Maybe Brighton if Dunk does go to Leicester?

To be fair - he’d get a game in Arsenal’s woeful back 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.