Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I didn't say he would struggle, what i meant was that he isn't at the same level as Carrick when it comes to dictating from deep.
Schweini is the better overall player though.
Fair enough, still don't agree. Schweini never really played a classic box to box role next to a deeper sitting partner. He always did the build-up from deep, often dropped between the centerbacks and I don't see how Carrick has done that better than him. Schweinsteiger was clearly the deeper playing midfielder next to van Bommel/Khedira/Kroos. Even next to Gustavo and Martinez he was usually behind them in the build-up. He offers more going forward, is more mobile and physical than Carrick, so a more disciplined partner like Martinez gave him an even better platform to shine and influence the game all over the pitch as it was next to gung-ho, headless chicken Khedira or in a 3 man midfield with Kroos and Özil.

But Schweinsteiger's prefered and best role clearly is one where he has the whole game in front of him and he's the one dictating the play between defense and attack. It was one of the reasons why he never found his place at Bayern last season. He came into the team after a long injury break and Alonso had that role, who is incredibly dominant on the ball himself, needs the game running through him. Carrick is quite happy to share that area or play 2nd fiddle in the build-up, just like he did next to Scholes. That's why Schweinsteiger and Carrick together can work. Schweini + Alonso on the other hand was a clusterfeck, way too similar in how they want to play the game.

So I really think that:
Bastian can do what Carrick does but Carrick cannot do what Bastian does.
is a pretty accurate description. And that's no slight on Carrick at all, he has been fantastic in his role. But Bastian can play the disciplined deep role just as good and additionally offers even more.

SoCross

He is just wonderful. Still surreal to see him on the pitch, wearing our red shirt :drool:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Didn't realise how underrated this guy was till he joined us. People really think Carrick is better at dictating play?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Didn't realise how underrated this guy was till he joined us. People really think Carrick is better at dictating play?
I think it's less that he was underrated, and more that people were worried about whether he was getting too old to be a success for us, and whether his fitness was a problem. He's widely been recognised as one of the best midfielder's around over the past 5 years or so.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
At the risk of sounding stupid, during that 45 pass goal he seemed to just waive his arms around and point a lot but it don't seem to have any connection to where the ball went. He did without doubt make the key pass, but are we nevertheless in danger of granting him supernatural powers based solely on his reputation?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
At the risk of sounding stupid, during that 45 pass goal he seemed to just waive his arms around and point a lot but it don't seem to have any connection to where the ball went. He did without doubt make the key pass, but are we nevertheless in danger of granting him supernatural powers based solely on his reputation?
What danger ? What we say as fans on these boards have zero impact on what happens on the pitch ?

clarkydaz

maybe its just a nervous twitch or summat. :rolleyes:

glazed

What danger ? What we say as fans on these boards have zero impact on what happens on the pitch ?
Just an expression. But I like to think the collective view of fans has quite a big impact on the club. Maybe we could hire a plane to fly over Old Trafford with a tickertape banner saying "BSF - not as influential as sometimes thought." I'm in for a fiver.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
There is a good and detailed interview with him in the German newspaper Zeit.
I link it for whoever can read german: http://www.zeit.de/2015/38/bastian-schweinsteiger-manchester-rio-finale
He was nervous before his first match at OT because he had fouled Rooney last year when he got sent off and didn't know if the fans would still hold that against him. Well he's definitely not reading redcafe:lol:

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

Akshay

Staff
He offers more going forward, is more mobile and physical than Carrick, so a more disciplined partner like Martinez gave him an even better platform to shine and influence the game all over the pitch as it was next to gung-ho, headless chicken Khedira or in a 3 man midfield with Kroos and Özil.

But Schweinsteiger's prefered and best role clearly is one where he has the whole game in front of him and he's the one dictating the play between defense and attack. It was one of the reasons why he never found his place at Bayern last season. He came into the team after a long injury break and Alonso had that role, who is incredibly dominant on the ball himself, needs the game running through him. Carrick is quite happy to share that area or play 2nd fiddle in the build-up, just like he did next to Scholes. That's why Schweinsteiger and Carrick together can work. Schweini + Alonso on the other hand was a clusterfeck, way too similar in how they want to play the game.
Doesn't Carrick have a larger passing range though? I haven't seen Schweinsteiger pinging passes diagonally across the pitch at United like Carrick often does for us. No slight on Schweinsteiger, but I don't agree that's he's just Carrick+. Different players, with different strengths, and Schweiny the better overall.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He, along with Rooney and Mata, touched the ball more then anyone else in that move.

Also, It's not just "waving his arms and pointing" it's being vocal and communicating with your team. Letting the man on the ball no where his options are - which is just good team play really. Sometimes the ball did go where he was pointing, most often it didn't... but who cares? It's just good team play.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Doesn't Carrick have a larger passing range though? I haven't seen Schweinsteiger pinging passes diagonally across the pitch at United like Carrick often does for us. No slight on Schweinsteiger, but I don't agree that's he's just Carrick+. Different players, with different strengths, and Schweiny the better overall.
Don't think so. I haven't seen too many United games this season, so can't really comment on that. But Schweinsteiger played wonderful long passes to Ribery and Robben countless times. Attacking down the wings has been our biggest weapon since 2009 after all and Schweinsteiger was often the heart of the transition, from deep forward or from one wing to the other.

glazed

Sometimes the ball did go where he was pointing, most often it didn't... but who cares?
Well it does rather suggest his influence is not as great as sometimes suggested based on the noise he makes. Not that I'm dissing him - he's obviously a very good player. I like the way he can pass and move at the same time, which seems to be something Carrick finds difficult.

Don't think so. I haven't seen too many United games this season, so can't really comment on that. But Schweinsteiger played wonderful long passes to Ribery and Robben countless times. Attacking down the wings has been our biggest weapon since 2009 after all and Schweinsteiger was often the heart of the transition, from deep forward or from one wing to the other.
I also remember seeing him do this countless times for both Bayern and Germany.

He doesn't seem to do it much for us though. Maybe it's just a matter of instructions from van Gaal; keep it tidy.

CG1010

He is probably our most important signing this season (although its difficult to pick one tbh). Not just in terms of contribution only but also having a star/big name player in the team which the opposition could fear. Else there is just Rooney who isn't suitable anymore these days.

Akshay

Staff
I see. Maybe he is just playing differently at United then because we don't have that quality of wing option and the team needs something else.

Sparky Rhiwabon

He is probably our most important signing this season (although its difficult to pick one tbh). Not just in terms of contribution only but also having a star/big name player in the team which the opposition could fear. Else there is just Rooney who isn't suitable anymore these days.
Agree however given his age (and Carrick) we have already created an issue in needing to bring in a replacement fairly soon!

CG1010

Agree however given his age (and Carrick) we have already created an issue in needing to bring in a replacement fairly soon!
Yes, but right now I don't want to worry about that but just enjoy seeing him every week producing his magic.

ravi2

Its amazing we got Bastian and Morgan in one transfer window....midfield is sorted!
We haven't had a midfielder who can control the play and boss the game since Scholes retired, Bastian is the closest thing to Scholes I have seen play for MUFC.

nemanja15

On the bench if we need him, I guess he'll probably play most of the games against Sunderland, Wolfsburg and Arsenal so if we can get away without using him tonight I reckon we will.

Varun

Staff
Think it's more to do with our wide options then his inability to play that pass.

Raw

He keeps on improving, if he keeps his fitness up he'll be an absolute monster for us for a good 3 years at least.

Kag

I know it's only Ipswich, but that was a cracking performance. Head and shoulders above every other individual on the field.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Gave motm to Pereira because of the goal but he's just a beast. Only against Ipswich so you'd expect this type of performance from him, but he makes it look so easy. What a signing.

Akshay

Staff
Very, very good performance. Only discouraging thing was that he played 90 minutes, so most probably won't start on the weekend! It's just about getting up to 100% match fitness for him before he starts to put in PL performances like that every week. Today seemed a big step in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.