6.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

plex

Mourinho is the manager and responsible for the tactics and if he thinks that a certain player is not good enough playing for the first team then fair enough. BUT a manager does not always have to be right and in my opinion it's a mistake to not consider Schweinsteiger at all. I think it's also a strenght to admit your mistakes or at least he could say sth. like "Bastian worked hard the last weeks and this is why I'm giving him a chance to prove himself.." etc. His pride and stubbornness is not helping the club. Why not at least try it with Schweinsteiger, a player who can control games, instead he completely ignores him. I mean, Schweinsteiger is still getting paid and obviously he still wants to prove himself, so wouldn't it be better and more logical to use your asset/player to full capacity? In my opinion it doesn't make sense. Schweinsteiger may not be the player who can play week in week out, but if you rotate him he can still be a great asset for the club.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Mourinho is the manager and responsible for the tactics and if he thinks that a certain player is not good enough playing for the first team then fair enough. BUT a manager does not always have to be right and in my opinion it's a mistake to not consider Schweinsteiger at all. I think it's also a strenght to admit your mistakes or at least he could say sth. like "Bastian worked hard the last weeks and this is why I'm giving him a chance to prove himself.." etc. His pride and stubbornness is not helping the club. Why not at least try it with Schweinsteiger, a player who can control games, instead he completely ignores him. I mean, Schweinsteiger is still getting paid and obviously he still wants to prove himself, so wouldn't it be better and more logical to use your asset/player to full capacity? In my opinion it doesn't make sense. Schweinsteiger may not be the player who can play week in week out, but if you rotate him he can still be a great asset for the club.
Yeah, that would be the sane and mature thing to do. However I'm not sure on the level of sanity and maturity governing the professional relationship of Schweinsteiger and Mourinho.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't get the Jose - Schweini situation. We've played the likes of Darmian, Lingard, Memphis, Rojo et al. There's no rational reason to exclude BFS when those players are getting playing time. I could understand it if Jose deemed Schweini surplus to requirements in pre-season, but once he opted to stay, there's no longer any reason to freeze him out. Its not like this is the LvG-Valdes situation where the player didn't want to train or something. Completely odd. Let's hope Jose can adapt and reverse course.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Still think Schweinsteiger could contribute. Was always a baffling one hanging him out to dry before he'd even given him a chance.

And with the indifferent start, it only intensifies it.

Brigred

Why Jose thinks bastian is past it but keeps picking 35 year old zatlan baffles me

izec

I dont think it is up to Jose. I said it in the summer and still think that the club is more behind Schweini not playing for United again. Otherwise it would make zero sense to me.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
I dont think it is up to Jose. I said it in the summer and still think that the club is more behind Schweini not playing for United again. Otherwise it would make zero sense to me.
What motive would the club have though? Schweinsteiger has great name recognition for PR purposes and the club would have been saved a €8 million write-off in the books.So from a financial and economic point of view keeping Schweinsteiger on the team was in the best interest of the FO.

In my opinion this was clearly a managing decision by Mourinho.

JoaquinJoaquin

I think it is Jose's decision, but it's not one I agree with. He isn't coming back anytime soon though as he isn't even training with the first team which would be the first path back into the fold.

txred

This truly is one of the oddest situations I can recall. It's weird seeing the alleged Mourinho circus from up close and personal. And then you have Schweini posting all of these pictures on social media :lol:. "Just enjoying this wonderful day in MANCHESTER, HOME OF MANCHESTER UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB," etc.

clarkydaz

Don't think he'd really change all that much if he was playing but he'd still be a nice option to have around, not really sure on Jose's logic here.
he would keep us in posession, if not being spectacular with it and being a lard ass wouldn't be bombing forward. If Jose knew at the start of the season he had a busted Rooney and alarmingly poor Pogba, he could well have featured

Yagami

Good post resistant
If I recall correctly, he wasn't your worst midfielder even with injury and fitness problems.
I'm sorry, but he was easily our worst midfielder last season. If he wasn't running out of breath after 10 minutes, he was either blasting the ball into row z or mishitting passes that were longer than 5 yards.

I'll give him that he was probably our best midfielder in coping under pressure and shielding the ball, but that didn't make up for the fact he was horrendous at everything else.

clarkydaz

I'm sorry, but he was easily our worst midfielder last season. If he wasn't running out of breath after 10 minutes, he was either blasting the ball into row z or mishitting passes that were longer than 5 yards.

I'll give him that he was probably our best midfielder in coping under pressure and shielding the ball, but that didn't make up for the fact he was horrendous at everything else.
absolute nonsense

Yagami

Good post resistant
absolute nonsense
I wish it was because I like Bastian and hoped he'd be a leader for us here, but he was dreadful. It spoke volumes to me that I preferred Fellaini and Rooney in midfield than him.

plex

I wish it was because I like Bastian and hoped he'd be a leader for us here, but he was dreadful. It spoke volumes to me that I preferred Fellaini and Rooney in midfield than him.
Well, opinions may differ on this point. I also saw every game from Bastian and he was quite solid most of the time (and looking at the last pages I'm not the only one who thinks this way).

Yagami

Good post resistant
Well, opinions may differ on this point. I also saw every game from Bastian and he was quite solid most of the time (and looking at the last pages I'm not the only one who thinks this way).
Yep, the opinion on Bastian's time here is pretty split and I have no problem with that.:)

clarkydaz

saying he was our worst midfielder, kicking the ball into row Z and mishitting passes shows you are talking drivel

Yagami

Good post resistant
saying he was our worst midfielder, kicking the ball into row Z and mishitting passes shows you are talking drivel
That's what I remember from his time here. His shooting was awful, his weight of passing was very inconsistent, and he never really put in a performance that made me think he deserved to be rated as highly as he is.

The good things that I remember are his Watford goal, Leicester goal, and him pushing the Liverpool player that resulted in Blind's goal in the 2-1 (I think). Those and his calmness under pressure when being pressed were the only things I can praise him for last season.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
That's what I remember from his time here. His shooting was awful, his weight of passing was very inconsistent, and he never really put in a performance that made me think he deserved to be rated as highly as he is.

The good things that I remember are his Watford goal, Leicester goal, and him pushing the Liverpool player that resulted in Blind's goal in the 2-1 (I think). Those and his calmness under pressure when being pressed were the only things I can praise him for last season.
He also provided stability, something that the current lot in the starting XIs apparently can't do.
I think Schweinsteiger is well past his best and shouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI of a CL contender, but given your woes in midfield the situation is just getting more ridiculous by the week. You're paying him way too much money, so why not at least give him a chance to "recuperate" some of that money, even if it's a pass to an assist in a 15min cameo.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He also provided stability, something that the current lot in the starting XIs apparently can't do.
I think Schweinsteiger is well past his best and shouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI of a CL contender, but given your woes in midfield the situation is just getting more ridiculous by the week. You're paying him way too much money, so why not at least give him a chance to "recuperate" some of that money, even if it's a pass to an assist in a 15min cameo.
We're a bit off a mess at the minute, aren't we? However, before we go back to relying on Bastian who's shown nothing but mediocrity at best during his stint here, we should be aiming to give Carrick more time as he's twice the player Bastian is.

nick2004

Doesn't work like that. Especially if the "assist" will be for the opposition... like the handball vs France.

SoCross

Herrera and Pogba are automatic picks for me. Schneiderlin, Carrick and Bastian should be considered for the third spot, Fellaini is not a central midfielder. The big fella has played well this season but he slows play down far too much and we automatically go long with him in the side. Wish BFS is just given the opportunity to stake a claim instead of being completely frozen out.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Herrera and Pogba are automatic picks for me. Schneiderlin, Carrick and Bastian should be considered for the third spot, Fellaini is not a central midfielder. The big fella has played well this season but he slows play down far too much and we automatically go long with him in the side. Wish BFS is just given the opportunity to stake a claim instead of being completely frozen out.
Thank goodness teams are not chosen on name recognition.
He'll never play for us again.Jose has made many mistakes in his tenure here That is not one of them.

I wonder what the excuses will be when fails to light up the MLS.

People seem desperate for a solution to our current problems.Instead of looking for solutions,people seem to be looking at old problems that they think for some magical reason will have changed.

A 32 year old unfit midfielder will not solve anything. We used to be forward thinking club.It's astounding what a few years of difficulty will do to people.

SoCross

He'll never play for us again.Jose has made many mistakes in his tenure here That is not one of them.

People seem desperate for a solution to our current problems.Instead of looking for solutions,people seem to be looking at old problems that they think for some magical reason will have changed.

A 32 year old unfit midfielder will not solve anything. We used to be forward thinking club.It's astounding what a few years of difficulty will do to people.
Mate if you read my post properly, there's nothing in it which says Schweinsteiger is the solution. All it states is that at least he should be given an opportunity to show that he can still hack it at the highest level instead of being completely discarded and disregarded. Do you honestly think he'd be worse than Fellaini? I really doubt that. Give him a game or two and see. If he can't hack it, then we can close this chapter.

arthurka

Agreed..
Jose's penny has dropped on this matter..
Who Jose will get to replace Carrick and Basti should be next on the agenda..

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Why Jose thinks bastian is past it but keeps picking 35 year old zatlan baffles me
Absoluteoy ridiculous post considering we have already seen Schwienstiger is well past it and ibrahimovic scored 50 goals last year and has started his Utd career at a very high level as one of our best players. The amount of straw clutching on here is insane.

K2K

Mate if you read my post properly, there's nothing in it which says Schweinsteiger is the solution. All it states is that at least he should be given an opportunity to show that he can still hack it at the highest level instead of being completely discarded and disregarded. Do you honestly think he'd be worse than Fellaini? I really doubt that. Give him a game or two and see. If he can't hack it, then we can close this chapter.
I think he would be much worse than Fellaini in our system.

I actually watched his last game (The Germany fairwell game).He looked as unfit and as poor as he had done for us the previous season and was subbed long before the final whistle.Now imagine that same guy after two months of no football.It's a disaster waiting to happen.

What I saw that night is a guy in no condition to be playing for a side with any serious ambitions of titles. Jose has been right in the money with this one.

K2K

Absoluteoy ridiculous post considering we have already seen Schwienstiger is well past it and ibrahimovic scored 50 goals last year and has started his Utd career at a very high level as one of our best players. The amount of straw clutching on here is insane.
Just look at their general level of fitness for example.

And Zlatan plays in a position requiring far less running and energy than one that Bastian would be needed in.It would be pure madness to even try this and the club has shown that it won't.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The games that BFS did play last year he was our best cm. To dispute that would be ridiculous.
Well I dispute it because it's simply not true. His performance vs Arsenal was easily the worst individual performance that entire season.

stevoc

I still don't understand what Jose is doing with Schweinsteiger or hoping to achieve. If he made the decision that he didn't need him in the summer fair enough, but since then obviously Bastian for whatever reason didn't actually leave. So he's here, he's a United player and the club are paying his wages.

So why not use him?

It makes no sense to me, i'm not saying he should be starting but the odd league cup game or 10-15 cameos when we are winning and we need someone experienced to come on and hold onto the ball. He would be useful in those types of scenarios, it makes me wonder if Jose and Bastian have personal problems. I mean he's not even letting him train with the first team, which again makes no sense to me.

dove

Bastian is clearly not the answer to our problems. Yes, this whole situation is a bit weird but he is way past it and is much worse than any of our other midfielders.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I still don't understand what Jose is doing with Schweinsteiger or hoping to achieve. If he made the decision that he didn't need him in the summer fair enough, but since then obviously Bastian for whatever reason didn't actually leave. So he's here, he's a United player and the club are paying his wages.

So why not use him?

It makes no sense to me, i'm not saying he should be starting but the odd league cup game or 10-15 cameos when we are winning and we need someone experienced to come on and hold onto the ball. He would be useful in those types of scenarios, it makes me wonder if Jose and Bastian have personal problems. I mean he's not even letting him train with the first team, which again makes no sense to me.
Thing is, Bastian is a player that needs to be playing week in week out at a high intensity in order to maintain his fitness. If we do what you're suggesting, although it sounds great in theory, he would end up being awful in those games that he does play.

He really should take a pay cut and move somewhere where he gets a regular game - China or USA maybe

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'll give you that he needed time, that he wasn't at his sharpest. But I cannot help but find that sentence hilarious.

It's a bit like "my opinon of Schweinsteiger is so low that I even prefer terrible midfielders instead of him, hang on, I must really think he's poor".

Back to the actual content of your post: If you would have Fellaini and Rooney as our midfield and Bastian playing with the U21s you'd wake up and smell the coffee.

As it is, we've got more midfield options so Schweinsteiger loses out. I'd still want to see him feature though and I think he's got a rare mentality for a United player, namely, that of a winner.

stevoc

Thing is, Bastian is a player that needs to be playing week in week out at a high intensity in order to maintain his fitness. If we do what you're suggesting, although it sounds great in theory, he would end up being awful in those games that he does play.
Well personally i doubt if he does need to play week in, week out just to come on in a game and keep hold of the ball and pass it about for 15 minutes. He's an excellent passer and good under pressure, ask him to do that for 70-80 minutes yeah we might have problems, but for 10-15 he wouldn't even break a sweat.

He really should take a pay cut and move somewhere where he gets a regular game - China or USA maybe
Very rarely in any line of work will a person ever agree to a pay cut.

K2K

So why not use him?

Doing that sends out a message that a player can be told that he is surplus to requirements then simply refuse to leave and be eventually reinstated.

Bastian doesn't fit what the manager is looking for .He shouldn't be forced into playing him. The wages are a sunk cost either way.

I doubt Jose has anything against him personally. They have never worked together before. I think he simply doesn't rate the current version of Bastian.And having seen him play recently,I can't blame him

stevoc

Doing that sends out a message that a player can be told that he is surplus to requirements then simply refuse to leave and be eventually reinstated.

Bastian doesn't fit what the manager is looking for .He shouldn't be forced into playing him. The wages are a sunk cost either way.

I doubt Jose has anything against him personally. They have never worked together before.
I think he simply doesn't rate the current version of Bastian.And having seen him play recently,I can't blame him
Who's talking about forcing him to play him?

I'm saying he's still here so Jose could choose to make some use of him, not wanting him and then refusing to play him are one thing. From a footballing standpoint thats fair enough.

But not even allowing him to train with the first team seems unnecessary to me, which makes me think theres more to it. People don't have to have worked together to not like each other. They have came up against each other in europe before, i'm sure they have met a few times before this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.