Bastian Schweinsteiger | Signed for MUFC - confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Schneiderlin is a different type of player so I think that if LvG was really into him, he'll go for him anyway. But we have a lot of midfielders at the moment so it's hard to know.
We don't really have a lot of midfielders, which is why we probably should get Schneiderlin as well. We only have four and towards the end of last season we lined up with all of them on the pitch because one of them deputises at left back as well. If we continue to play 3 central midfielders, which is likely, then we need a couple of new bodies especially with more games next season.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I’d say that Toure’s in a fairly similar bracket to Schweinsteiger when they’re both at their best. Agree on Ramsey though, who’s probably still got a bit more to go until he’s at that sort of level.
Toure had a season where he was unstoppable. After that, it seems like his success has gone to his head because nowadays he plays like he is the world's best player and can do whatever he wants. He doesn't track back at all which was one of the main reasons why we beat them 4-2. He's a shadow of his former self.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
---------------------De Gea-------------------------

----Darmain----Otamendi-----Smalling--------Shaw---

-------------Schweini-------Carrick-------------

------Depay-------Mata--------Di Maria--------

------------------Rooney-------------------------------

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Mali_Zeus

Toure had a season where he was unstoppable. After that, it seems like his success has gone to his head because nowadays he plays like he is the world's best player and can do whatever he wants. He doesn't track back at all which was one of the main reasons why we beat them 4-2. He's a shadow of his former self.
City is to blame. They dont make cakes for his birthdays.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He’s bounced back before, to be fair. He was very important for City in their 2011/2012 season, but then was poor the following year. He was superb in 2013/2014 though, and was instrumental in their title win.

I think he’s arguably lost some of his desire at City with indications that he was unhappy, and his age is probably catching up with him as well, but I’m not convinced he’s completely done yet. He could still potentially have another good season in him, and I’d say he’s on Schweinsteiger’s level when he’s at his best.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
:lol: yea, £12m transfer fee is awful
Which is why I said figures , meaning signing fee AND salary. Don't let your excitement get in the way of reading properly.

Mister Ed

Duncan Castles: "Question to United fans, how many of you see Schweinsteiger as a starter in the next 2 years."
I don't think this a transfer we'll enjoy for years. Has a bit of the RVP about him, can be major for LVG in doing really well for a season (maybay two) which may lead to a title win for us. But he is nothing more than that a player who you need for his class and leadership abilities but who is probably in the last years of his career so it is a pure short cut to a title but not a long term answer for our midfield problems. In 2 years time I think neither Carrick or Schweini will be major players for us, Carrick likley gone and Schweini on the brick of needing to be replaced.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:
Herrera needs a place, love that guy. I'd play him instead of one of that middle 3, depending who's playing better. He'd be a great #10 considering his mobility and goalscoring record for us.

Macern

Pee pee pants
When both are at their best, Yaya is on his level.
Yeah, and when Rivaldo is at his best, he's even better so therefore we can say that Rivaldo is a better player than Schweinsteiger.

Oh wait, Rivaldo is past it. So is Yaya.

ChaddyP

thats not even fair :lol::eek::eek::eek:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Which is why I said figures , meaning signing fee AND salary. Don't let your excitement get in the way of reading properly.
So it's the £140,000ish a week salary that's got you uptight? For Schweinsteiger? Seriously?

Mali_Zeus

I don't think this a transfer we'll enjoy for years. Has a bit of the RVP about him, can be major for LVG in doing really well for a season (maybay two) which may lead to a title win for us. But he is nothing more than that a player who you need for his class and leadership abilities but who is probably in the last years of his career so it is a pure short cut to a title but not a long term answer for our midfield problems. In 2 years time I think neither Carrick or Schweini will be major players for us, Carrick likley gone and Schweini on the brick of needing to be replaced.
Who knows maybe he can last more than 2 years. Schweini is younger so I dont think they'll need replacing in the same time.

Reynoldo

We don't really have a lot of midfielders, which is why we probably should get Schneiderlin as well. We only have four and towards the end of last season we lined up with all of them on the pitch because one of them deputises at left back as well. If we continue to play 3 central midfielders, which is likely, then we need a couple of new bodies especially with more games next season.
Yes definitely, I'm getting caught up in the hype of signing Schweiny as much as the next guy but as great as it is we still need more options in there, we have to be prepared for injuries to one or two main midfielders for the coming campaign with the extra games especially.

Brightonian

Jesus. Ok, so he's not got that many years of form left, but right now, he's barely less good than his best. For context, 2013-14 was probably his strongest ever season. Essentially, we'd be signing him around the same stage of his career we signed RVP, but for a quarter of the price.

Anyone will attest I'm not a fan of the high profile signing, but that would be insanely good business.

I could see him sharing game time with both Carrick and Schneiderlin (three players rotating two positions, basically), with Herrera a regular fixture alongside them.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Lacks Ander. Looks pretty good to me otherwise.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Herrera needs a place, love that guy. I'd play him instead of one of that middle 3, depending who's playing better. He'd be a great #10 considering his mobility and goalscoring record for us.
Oh that's just one option, i love Jones too and would love to include him, plus we need another striker as an option, plus after last season Young deserves a place and of course there's still the chance that we sign schniederlin and Blind has to fit in somewhere. i'm so optimistic, i think i've finally embraced my inner muppet.

Bojan11

Oh look @ItsEssexRob trying to put down another signing of ours.

Schweinsteiger performance wise is still good. It's whether he can stay fit, which is the problem.

Macern

Pee pee pants

Meh

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So it's the £140,000ish a week salary that's got you uptight? For Schweinsteiger? Seriously?
Given his massive injury problems in the last couple of years and his age and most importantly mileage, yes.

EDIT: And the fact that the BPL is harder on your body than the Bundesliga since you don't have a winter break, more games and more physicality in those games.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
When both are at their best, Yaya is on his level.
When Yaya is at the top of his game he's a game changer and more influential than Schweinsteiger but over a season Schweinsteiger contributes more and therefore more influential imo.

Mister Ed

-------------Schweini-------Herrera-------------

------Di Maria-------Mata--------Depay--------

Fixed it for you

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's very low risk if reported figures are true. There is very little chance that a player of Schweinsteiger calibre will fail to deliver if fit, he's pretty much crafted for this team. Even if he is good for only 2-3 years £12m fee is nothing to cry about.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Given his massive injury problems in the last couple of years and his age and most importantly mileage, yes.

EDIT: And the fact that the BPL is harder on your body than the Bundesliga since you don't have a winter break, more games and more physicality in those games.
Ah the old 'PL is harder' chestnut.

If the rumours are true it's a steal.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

I still don’t think it’s too ridiculous, though, to be fair. I’d say the injury problems are the much bigger concern than age. At 31, he could still have a few years in him to deliver. He’s a good player technically, so you’d imagine that his ability isn’t going to suddenly disappear. Honestly, to get someone like Schweinsteiger, we’re not going to be offered a much better deal than what we were given. He’s getting older, yes, but he’s not completely past his best, and it’s a fairly good deal overall.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Calm down, Matic, Fabregas, probably Yaya, Ramsey too would be in that bracket. Hes still good, but hes no longer the colossus he once was.
They're different types of player tbh, Matic is the only one I think is directly comparable. But that aside, I think Schweinsteiger is arguably as good as, or better than, all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.