g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Bastian Schweinsteiger | Signed for MUFC - confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treble

Scweini would be a risky signing. He's only a year younger than RvP and has had injury/fitness issues last season. He started less games than RVP! Could be great for our team though, if he stays fit and quickly finds his feet in the EPL.

Shiva87

This last week has been quite unreal. End of last season, it was obvious we need quality players in RB, CB, CM, LW and maybe CF.

LVG said he likes having 2 players at each position. It's midway in the transfer season and we have addressed RB, CM and RW. Our transfer business from here will only make us stronger.

This is so unlike our transfer windows in the last few years.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Wow on the BCC now. Not sure how to feel about the transfer mind. His injuries are worrying...

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Scweini would be a risky signing. He's only a year younger than RvP and has had injury/fitness issues last season. He started less games than RVP! Could be great for our team though, if he stays fit and quickly finds his feet in the EPL.
Not playing as a midfield pivot - he'll not need as much pace as RVP lost.

Kant-ona

Wow. Bayern fans get really pissed on Facebook. They don't insult Schweinsteiger... but Pep.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
This feels like we are signing another club's Scholes or Giggs. I'm sure no one would say no to a 31-year-old Scholes or Giggs.

Honours:

• 8 time Bundesliga champion
  • 7 German Cups
  • 2 German league Cups
  • 2 German Supercups
  • 1 Uefa Champions League
  • 1 Uefa Super cup
  • 1 Fifa Club World Cup
  • World Cup Winner
  • 2x Third Place in the World Cup
  • European Cup Runner-up
Hopefully he can adapt well.
Bloody ell that is one impressive cv

NessunDorma

A little part of me thinks it's too much money for someone who will be 31 in August.

Mind, even if he has one good season and helps us win the league, it'll probably be worth it.

suheilsworld

Bastian Schweinsteiger close to Manchester United move

Manchester United are close to completing the signing of Germany midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger from Bayern Munich.

The 30-year-old is believed to have told Bayern he does not want to extend his contract, which runs to 2016.

The clubs are still to agree a fee, but United are prepared to give the World Cup winner a massive increase on his salary.

Schweinsteiger has made 536 appearances for Bayern since his debut in 2002.

Should the German arrive, it would be a significant statement of intent from the Old Trafford club, similar to the one they made last summer with the arrivals of Angel Di Maria from Real Madrid for £59.7m and the loan signing of Radamel Falcao from Monaco.

While Falcao has since moved to Chelsea after scoring only four goals for United and Di Maria was one of the players manager Louis van Gaal said on Friday "had problems" during his first season, their presence did underline a desire to reclaim the club's previous status in the Premier League.

Along with Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos, Schweinsteiger was identified earlier this summer as a high-profile player United were interested in.

While the chances of Ramos ending up at Old Trafford are tied up in the future of goalkeeper David De Gea - a target for Real - Schweinsteiger is expected to end up as a United player.

The club have made only one signing so far this summer, with £31m winger Memphis Depay arriving from Dutch club PSV Eindhoven.

However, Italian defender Matteo Darmian is flying to England for a medical before completing a £13m move from Torino.

It is anticipated he will travel with United for their pre-season tour of the United States, which begins on Monday.

No new update. Just another news channel reporting it. Will hold on my excitement till something conclusive comes out

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Bastian Schweinsteiger close to Manchester United move

Manchester United are close to completing the signing of Germany midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger from Bayern Munich.

The 30-year-old is believed to have told Bayern he does not want to extend his contract, which runs to 2016.

The clubs are still to agree a fee, but United are prepared to give the World Cup winner a massive increase on his salary.

Schweinsteiger has made 536 appearances for Bayern since his debut in 2002.

Should the German arrive, it would be a significant statement of intent from the Old Trafford club, similar to the one they made last summer with the arrivals of Angel Di Maria from Real Madrid for £59.7m and the loan signing of Radamel Falcao from Monaco.

While Falcao has since moved to Chelsea after scoring only four goals for United and Di Maria was one of the players manager Louis van Gaal said on Friday "had problems" during his first season, their presence did underline a desire to reclaim the club's previous status in the Premier League.

Along with Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos, Schweinsteiger was identified earlier this summer as a high-profile player United were interested in.

While the chances of Ramos ending up at Old Trafford are tied up in the future of goalkeeper David De Gea - a target for Real - Schweinsteiger is expected to end up as a United player.

The club have made only one signing so far this summer, with £31m winger Memphis Depay arriving from Dutch club PSV Eindhoven.

However, Italian defender Matteo Darmian is flying to England for a medical before completing a £13m move from Torino.

It is anticipated he will travel with United for their pre-season tour of the United States, which begins on Monday.

No new update. Just another news channel reporting it. Will hold on my excitement till something conclusive comes out
BBC is almost as good as confirming the signing.

itso 7

RVP didn't turn shit just because he is 32 but it also has a lot to do with how badly Fergie's retirement affected him as he seemed to lose a lot of hunger under Moyes and never recovered. If RVP had not chosen the money he could have joined a club like Milan and would have gone on to tear Serie A apart.

Bastien is exactly the player we need to accelerate the growth of this team into winners. The few years he will spend here could be important to the likes of Perreira, McNair and other youngsters not to mention the fact that he still a world class performer.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
31 and injury prone. I hope it wouldn't hurt any deal for Schneiderlin.

vidic blood & sand

A little part of me thinks it's too much money for someone who will be 31 in August.

Mind, even if he has one good season and helps us win the league, it'll probably be worth it.
He's a work horse, and an extremely fit guy when fit. Fantastic tackler, and holds the ball really well, and a good passer. He'll bring heaps of composure to our shakey back 4. Would probably captain the team when Rooney isn't playing. The big challenge will be keeping him fit.

ZDwyr

Really excited. Not sure how he will go in the PL, especially over the winter months when there are so many matches. But the thought of him running our midfield in some CL ties is just :drool:. Still want Schneiderlin though, and expect we will get both.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Wouldn't be surprised if we get Schneiderlin too and carrick plays a role at cb more.

But deep down, i think Schneiderlin is off.

NessunDorma

He's a work horse, and an extremely fit guy when fit. Fantastic tackler, and holds the ball really well, and a good passer. He'll bring heaps of composure to our shakey back 4. Would probably captain the team when Rooney isn't playing. The big challenge will be keeping him fit.
Not doubting his quality. But he's only played 25+ league games once in the last 4 years, and hasn't played 30+ since 2010/11. At 31, i'd imagine his injury problems aren't going to get any better.

Just think we might've learnt a lesson after signing an ageing and injury prone superstar name last season, which didn't really work out . . .

But as I said, if he helps us win the league - and he might - it'll be worth it.

Hans Moleman

Not doubting his quality. But he's only played 25+ league games once in the last 4 years, and hasn't played 30+ since 2010/11. At 31, i'd imagine his injury problems aren't going to get any better.

Just think we might've learnt a lesson after signing an ageing and injury prone superstar name last season, which didn't really work out . . .

But as I said, if he helps us win the league - and he might - it'll be worth it.
To be fair, we only need him to play 20-25 league games. I don't think there's any chance we're looking at him as a 38 league games per season man. He can rotate with Carrick in plenty of games, which also gives Carrick a chance to rest (or be injured).

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I actually feel the complete opposite to those saying we've lost our identity. We're Manchester United, and it feels great knowing some of the best talents in the world are finally playing for us. We should be linked with the careers of players like Schweinsteiger, Di Maria, Falcao, Mata...

Sure we sold Welbeck, Cleverley, but they weren't good enough. It's good to finally see us exercising the huge pulling power we have rather than persisting with inferior players for the sake of tradition.

Status
Not open for further replies.