Bastian Schweinsteiger | Signed for MUFC - confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
It's exactly how I feel right now. I hope my usual negativity is affecting me because so many caftards seem extremely happy about this signature, I hope they're right.
Yup, the excitement is akin to if we signed the player in his prime. He is a gamble at his age and with his injury record; can be worth it, though the question marks will remain.

Last edited:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I remember that LVG said he wants to sign a 6 and a 8 so I'm sure signing Shweinsteiger doesn't mean we won't sign Schneiderlin.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
So if we sig him and schneiderlin, do we need to offload anyone in our midfield? Seems like there are quite a few players for 3 positions

Carrick
Schweiny
Schneiderlin
Blind
Fellaini
Herrera
Mata
Perreira
Most likely will be used as a winger.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I'm not getting as thrilled about this potential signing as a lot of people. Seems a very short term fix, but if we go out and bring in another younger CM as well I'd be very happy.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This is a terrific signing. Teams have to be a blend of ingredient and one of those is a winning mentality, another is experience. De gea, shaw, Smalling, jones, darmian, blind, Herrera, Januzaj, Depay, Wilson are all between 20-26. Di Maria, Fellaini and Mata are 27, and even Rooney is 'only' 29. We have a VERY young squad for such a big team. The only over 30 player competing for a starting spot is Carrick, and perhaps Valdes next season.

We've parted with the likes of Evra, Ferdinand, vidic, fletcher, Van persie and Giggs in the last couple of seasons. That's a hell of a lot of experience to lose. So I'm all for this signing. Bastian is still a top tier player with a ton to offer. He knows Van Gaal very well, still has that hunger, is familiar with the style and football we'll be trying to play and gives us a depth and variety we've been sorely lacking. The fee, 12m is nothing. And his wages are the least you'd expect for a player of his calibre.

Bayern fans are overwhelming sad and upset to lose him, and the board tried to keep him. I don't think anyone can argue this is a bad deal for us. I would still expect us to sign another CM, as it'll be important to use Schweinsteiger sensibly and not overplay him. Top clubs have that kind of depth.

This feels like we are signing another club's Scholes or Giggs. I'm sure no one would say no to a 31-year-old Scholes or Giggs.

Honours:

• 8 time Bundesliga champion
  • 7 German Cups
  • 2 German league Cups
  • 2 German Supercups
  • 1 Uefa Champions League
  • 1 Uefa Super cup
  • 1 Fifa Club World Cup
  • World Cup Winner
  • 2x Third Place in the World Cup
  • European Cup Runner-up
Hopefully he can adapt well.
I cant think of another midfielder with such a mix of skill and experience, short of Busquets deciding its time for a new challenge.

I'll be delighted if this happens.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
So if we sig him and schneiderlin, do we need to offload anyone in our midfield? Seems like there are quite a few players for 3 positions

Carrick/Schweiny taking turns out injured
Schneiderlin and Herrera

Fellaini - squad player/backup

Blind - leftback
Mata - inside right
Perreira - cups and shit
Looks fine to me.

JawZ

I'm more excited about the leadership he is about to bring to the team. We've lacked that figure in the middle since forever. Hopefully he'll provide just that once he comes.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
The reaction from reddit/fcbayern:

It's pretty much the same from bayernforum.com
None seem to think it's bullshit, which looks very good for us.

khoazany

Can turn out to be a brilliant signing or he could spend the next three years on the treatment table, with I am sure plenty to keep him company. I guess worth a risk at the fee and wages mentioned, which aren't exhorbitant.

Though signing him shouldn't mean that we don't go for a more defensive minded midfielder.
Have a feeling it will be like RVP.1-2 good/brilliant seasons before he goes downhill.Still not a problem though.

Macabre Wolf

Why i love this deal is that he is at an age where he will do a good job sitting deep and by the time he leaves Timothy fosu Mensah will be hopefully breaking into the team. Not a bad player to learn from and gives a pathway to a talented youngster

Agree totally he'd be an awesome mentor for the youth especially TFM, hope the rumours are true and we are close to signing him.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I think we should allow ourselves to get a bit excited here.

After Giggsy's interview a few weeks back, about signing born winners and about the spine of the team, looks like he wasn't bullshitting.

As United supporters, we all love a young player coming through or signing an unproven player and turning them into a gem but, we can't afford to do that now at the moment.

If it goes through, this is a quality signing, on and off the pitch

Sereques

The teams quality and depth leads us to glory, not these so called leaders. Rooney being captain, so what. Rooney can be captain, if the area's of the team are in good shape, that's your leadership. If Sebastian is signed, he is added to more deeper problems that we are giving ageing players wages they do not deserve. Do we want the right signing? Or signing a name for the wrong reasons, and we have been burnt with these kind of signings the past year
Do you remember 06/07 when 36 year old Cafu and 39 year old Maldini handled young Rooney and Ronaldo comfortably? Before the game, we were all optimistic saying their speed will rip Milan defense apart. Rooney and Ronaldo had the speed alright but they were playing against seasoned experience players that have seen it all.

After Carrick got injured, we collapse. Not because we didn't have the quality to win those games, but we lacked the experience. You guys undervalue experience in a team and it's just criminal.

dogwithabone

Carrick is 34, Schwinestiger coming up 31 and if you look at how effective and important Carrick has been to us in the last three years then why shouldn't Schweinstiger play just as pivotal role in the next three years until he's 34 like Carrick.

Lampard was effective for City and he's 36 ! Plenty of players the wrong side of 30 have had huge impacts on teams and in Schweiny we are probably getting the best over 30 footballer, bar Ronaldo, on the planet.

He's a colossus and just his sheer presence on a football pitch will give us a huge fillip. If we can add Schniederlin too then that would be a great physical pairing as well as having two very gifted technical players.

This signing will be right up there as one of the PL's most momentous and is the sort of rabbit that Fergie would pull out of the hat from time to time.

Can't wait to see the name 'Schweinstieger' in print in a United line up !

NK86

I have a very close friend who is a Germany NT fan and Bayern are like Gods for him.

He has hated our guts ever since we beat them with a last gasp 2-1 in '99. Has hated us ever since.

Oh this will be so sweet to rub it in. I am sure he will say he is over the hill, though kept creaming himself whenever he talked about him esp at the WC. :lol:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Do you remember 06/07 when 36 year old Cafu and 39 year old Maldini handled young Rooney and Ronaldo comfortably? Before the game, we were all optimistic saying their speed will rip Milan defense apart. Rooney and Ronaldo had the speed alright but they were playing against seasoned experience players that have seen it all.

After Carrick got injured, we collapse. Not because we didn't have the quality to win those games, but we lacked the experience. You guys undervalue experience in a team and it's just criminal.

This place and modern football fans just don't seem to give much importance to experience and big game players. It's all about quality and if he can dribble past a defender now a days. Experience is vital.

dogwithabone

This place and modern football fans just don't seem to give much importance to experience and big game players. It's all about quality and if he can dribble past a defender now a days. Experience is vital.

Last season was a great example of how vital experience is and especially in the midfield. We looked to have plenty of exuberance but missed that magnet in the middle of the park whenever Carrick was out. We looked a different team with Carrick in there. You need the legs yes but you also need that calmness and control and in Carrick and Schweiny you're talking two of the very best across Europe.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
It's all about tekkers with the kids today. Who can do the most step overs or rabona's or who cost the highest transfer fee, most rated on Fifa, has the biggest name etc. I am extremely pleased with the business so far, and especially if Schneiderlin and Ottamendi come too. I think the midfield will be sorted for a few years and like others said, will give time for youth players to develop and come through like TFM, and also allow us to look for long term world class replacements.

I think the experience is exactly what is needed in the centre of the field, especially with Carrick being out so often, you also cannot measure how important to the young players it will be to watch, train and play with a World Cup winner and sit in the same dressing room as them. I fail to see how that could be a bad thing.

MDFC Manager

He only has to give us two good seasons to prove to be a great buy, IMO. Anything more is just a bonus.

Signing him first also gives us more leverage to sign Schneiderlin.

khoazany

Whilst I agree, experience done shag all for us in 2011/12 season
Sitting on the bench watching Paul Scholes tearing it apart really helped Pogba developed into a Man United legend IMO.

Bastian will do good for us but let's not pretend that the youngsters will learn more from watching him play than actually gave chances to play.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
What experience? the people that had more than 30 games that season was DDG, Evra, Jones, Rio, Evans, Carrick, Nani, Valencia.
Sitting on the bench watching Paul Scholes tearing it apart really helped Pogba developed into a Man United legend IMO.

Bastian will do good for us but let's not pretend that the youngsters will learn more from watching him play than actually gave chances to play.
Oh ha ha...Sarcasm at it's best.

We still had Rio, Evra, Giggs etc in the squad those games against Wigan and Everton and we bottled it.

I agree experience is important but, it quite clearly isn't everything.

Remember AC Milan?....Stam, Maldini, Nesta among many others shat themselves against a very poor Liverpool team

Hostekule

Of course they can potentially learn a lot from watching him in training every day, as well as getting instructions from him on how to improve their game. Very few/if any of our youngsters are good enough to get more than a few games anyways. He isn't stopping any youngsters from breaking into the first team, at least not this season.

EDIT: Delighted with this signing. From Rooney in midfield to Schwein the next season... Who could complain?

Nikhil

What a great signing. One of the players I've admired the most since the 2006 World Cup. We should have signed him 10 years back as Keano's replacement. But even now, this is great. Great leader on the pitch. He's won everything there is to win in club and international football. Get in there!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Wow, can't quite believe we're about to sign Schweinsteiger.

I can't see why anyone would not be happy with this? We've lacked leadership and calmness in the team. We've lacked a top top central midfielder for awhile. We've lacked grit and bollocks in midfield. Even if Schweinsteiger doesn't perform at the level he did at his peak you're still getting two of the three. Like a few have said, wouldn't we love to have a 31/32 year old Scholes or Giggs in this team right now? This guy is one of the best of his generation, will bring calm, leadership and experience and the fighting spirit he's always been known for. And if he gives us even one year of his best form it would be magnificent. It's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

The whole squad will benefit from having a few leaders right now.

The Law of Denis

He'll be the first German to play for you won't he?

Fergie will not be amused.

Super signing though.
We are signing a 31 year old, German central midfielder. :lol:

The most non-Fergie signing of all time.

Hopefully no one tells him and risks him getting a stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.