Bastian Schweinsteiger | Signed for MUFC - confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The point is total number of games played for a player whose league feature 4 games less than the premier league and yet he's called "injury prone"
We're crap in terms of dealing with injuries and Bastian is no spring chicken. Also its rarely a good idea to move to a top league at that age.

I am not against the deal. Bastian will bring experience and leadership in the team something we desperately need. However Id rather see us sign Schneiderlin than him. He's the future.

Sereques

You can't be serious. They both made their first team debuts in 2002, Rooney was 16 and Bastian S was 18. Rooney immediately became a mainstay with Everton, he played 77 games for them by the time he turned 18! You won't find many players who played more games than Rooney when they reached 29, not even Carrick who's on 613 at 34.
Again, the comparison is for people calling him injury prone.

Sereques

We're crap in terms of dealing with injuries and Bastian is no spring chicken. Also its rarely a good idea to move to a top league at that age.

I am not against the deal. Bastian will bring experience and leadership in the team something we desperately need. However Id rather see us sign Schneiderlin than him. He's the future.
Will you prefer Scneiderlin over a 30 year old Scholes?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ditto.

Schweinsteiger might turn out a great signing but relying on him as our only cover for Carrick would be foolish IMO. There's a decent chance he'll turn out to be over the hill. Getting him AND Schneiderlin would be brilliant though.
Signing Schneiderlin (or any other CM) would be perfect for me.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well, according to Bayern fans, his performances aren't on a decline. You also have to factor in that Bayern have an embarrassment of riches in midfield. This is very different to the Falcao situation, who would have also cost something like four times what Bastian is going to cost.
I don't care about the money, just the age. In a summer where we're moving on two formerly brilliant players who are over the hill at 30 it's hard to get too excited about signing another player the same age who's already falling out of favour at his current club.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The best talents who are aging, no longer required or wanted at their clubs, or are coming off the back of a serious injury they may not bounce back from?
Hey, we need to start somewhere.

I just hope that when we climb back to where we were circa 2009 (i.e a strong position on the world stage) we don't feck around with naff signings again. Hopefully we can stay there this time.

Getsme

People moaning about this signing? Really? Do you even watch football.

Mali_Zeus

Its fascinating that some posters needs explaining multiple times why he's leaving Bayern and they will still come back with the same posts wondering why Bayern is letting him go.

Getsme

I don't care about the money, just the age. In a summer where we're moving on two formerly brilliant players who are over the hill at 30 it's hard to get too excited about signing another player the same age who's already falling out of favour at his current club.
Likewise it's important to have experience all through the team, last season we had one of the youngest squads in the Premiership and it showed.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In theory yes, in practice well....there weren't many German/Bundersliga players who were able to adapt to the EPL successfully.
The new Bundesliga is a mix between Liga and PL, it's different from the Bundesliga that Ballack played in.

Oneunited26

He had the same amount of injuries he's had every season in his career, around 4. He just had a big one before the start of the season which made him miss a lot of games until November, like Carrick. Also I don't think Guardiola likes Schweisnteiger because he is too direct in his play compared to his other midfielders who are more careful with the ball.

Bastian is not injury prone. He's a beast.
I am happy we looks like we will be signing him, it gives us a different option, the problem is? Does VG like the direct style? Since he seems to be of that passing style of management

MDFC Manager

Well, as said, his falling out of favor (which itself is being overstated) has little to do with his performances. If you think his injury record is a worry, that's fine by me. I don't think it's an issue because it's a decidedly short term fix and everyone knows that. Falcao was expected to score tons of goals over the next 3-4 years.

My point is that there is nothing to worry about Schweinsteiger's performances. He'll come in and instantly be our best midfielder and if he plays ~70-80 games over the next two seasons, it's job done.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Well, as said, his falling out of favor (which itself is being overstated) has little to do with his performances. If you think his injury record is a worry, that's fine by me. I don't think it's an issue because it's a decidedly short term fix and everyone knows that. Falcao was expected to score tons of goals over the next 3-4 years.

My point is that there is nothing to worry about Schweinsteiger's performances. He'll come in and instantly be our best midfielder and if he plays ~70-80 games over the next two seasons, it's job done.
Wouldn't sign him if he didn't.

dogwithabone

Ramos, Schniederlin, Muller and an about turn from De Gea - all possible - and it will be the most exciting summer of transfer activity since the one back in the late 80's (??) when Fergie brought Sparky back among quite a few others.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Jesus Christ. People are seriously complaining at the transfer fee's quoted of about £14 million? Crazy place at times this place.

Zen

Carrick-Basty-Herrara .... Fellaini-Blind as the utilty options ... Roo shouldn't be an option at all at this point, but I can still see them going for Schneiderlin, just using this in part as a "we can move on, and boy can we" ploy.

Striker and another defender possibly will be on the agenda first, but either way.

MDFC Manager

I am happy we looks like we will be signing him, it gives us a different option, the problem is? Does VG like the direct style? Since he seems to be of that passing style of management
LvG is the one who turned him from a good to an excellent midfielder. So I think he knows what he's getting.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Oh look @ItsEssexRob trying to put down another signing of ours.

Schweinsteiger performance wise is still good. It's whether he can stay fit, which is the problem.
Im not putting it down. I was responding to someone who made a post where he was suddenly possibly the best midfielder in the league despite not having played a game! Its a very shrewd signing for the price, but hes not the same player he was half a decade ago.

Also obviously I wasnt comparing those to Bastian of old, he is far better than all of those at his peak.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It's difficult to gauge how well he will do. A new challenge might see a resurgence of sorts but he will have a job to do and that will be a leadership role. So for us it don't matter that he might not be the level he was. The respect will still be there and the player with his experience, will ensure a bit of discipline in our team.

NessunDorma

Well, according to Bayern fans, his performances aren't on a decline. You also have to factor in that Bayern have an embarrassment of riches in midfield. This is very different to the Falcao situation, who would have also cost something like four times what Bastian is going to cost.
Perhaps playing devils advocate here, but the 'Falcao situation' in August 2014 was very different to the 'Falcao situation' in March 2015 as well. There was near universal excitement when we signed him, including from me, and next to no-one was griping about him being potentially damaged goods. But it looks like damaged goods is exactly what he was (unless he becomes 2011 Falcao at Chelsea, in which case we'll have egg all over our faces for a different reason).

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm looking forward to seeing him play for us. Just think there is that potential there for it to not work out. That's true of any signing, of course, but in my opinion, far more so for players who are ageing and injury prone.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Carrick is 33 now and won't be playing any more than a bit part role.
If he's fit? He'll play probably 30+ games. His age doesn't matter so much since he's always been slow. He could possibly rotate with Schweinsteiger which could help both players

finneh

Brilliant signing. Him and Carrick playing 50-60 games between them should have us in a very strong position.

The one signing I didn't think we'd make but would improve us the most. All the qualities we lacked last year he has in abundance.

I think he'll be our Pirlo and Bayern will end up looking like Milan letting him go.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I can't believe we're signing Bastian Schweinsteiger. I'm fecking ecstatic about this, I've been an admirer of Schweinsteiger for years and I think this will turn out to be a brilliant signing. Yes he's 30 and hasn't had the best of injury records but the experience and quality he will add is worth it plus van Gaal knows Schweinsteiger very well and Schweinsteiger knows van Gaal well. I still think we should go for Schneiderlin too though. We could have some midfield this season!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Perhaps playing devils advocate here, but the 'Falcao situation' in August 2014 was very different to the 'Falcao situation' in March 2015 as well. There was near universal excitement when we signed him, including from me, and next to no-one was griping about him being potentially damaged goods. But it looks like damaged goods is exactly what he was (unless he becomes 2011 Falcao at Chelsea, in which case we'll have egg all over our faces for a different reason).

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm looking forward to seeing him play for us. Just think there is that potential there for it to not work out. That's true of any signing, of course, but in my opinion, far more so for players who are ageing and injury prone.
Yeah though the Falcao situation was a really weird one in that he actually regressed and kept on regressing as the season went on. His first few performances were encouraging (without being the world class level he used to be capable of), and then it just all went terribly wrong and he forgot how to run and stand on his feet. Honestly, what happened with Falcao is, for me, a very rare occurrence and I don't think we have to be worried about the same with Schweinsteiger.

Status
Not open for further replies.