Bastian Schweinsteiger | Signed for MUFC - confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I was responding to the argument that you and others made that if we get 2-3 years out of a signing then that is good enough.
My argument with Schweinsteiger particularly is that I just dont see what he adds to the squad that we dont already have, apart from depth - and I would rather we achieve depth through the introduction or purchase of promising youngsters than elder statesmen etc...
For one, we have no one as good as him. But leaving that small bit aside he's tailor made for lvg's system. How can you fail to see that?

I have no issues with what you want. I like us signing younger players as well. But does the whole squad need to be full of 22-24 year olds? It seems ridiculously close minded to me.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I think the posts sounding out those who were on the fence about Schweinsteiger are a bit over the top. Both sides have fair arguments as to why they are in the camps they are. People aren't saying they are disappointed or saddened at the prospect of Schweinsteiger joining, but that they don't want a short-term fix like him to be the only addition. There's nothing wrong with wanting the club to go out and buy players on the cusp of their prime or already world class, just as there is nothing wrong with bringing in proven experience with plenty to offer in game intelligence. Success has been known to mean both on occasion. As long as we continue to have evidence of both, you can expect people to meet at a contented middle ground.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

He's a proven winner, a big personality and a leader on the pitch and if this transfer goes through, LvG should be given full credit for making it possible. We need all these three things in our midfield. Even Ferguson, who chose to neglect the midfield (according to some), while not caring that much about the numbers, the energy levels and the ability to cover much ground in the central areas, he made sure that we had plenty of experience, intelligence and winning mentality in that area.

I also believe we'll sign Schneiderlin too and we'll have both of them on the plane to the States. Tactically wise, this is a great signing for us which clearly creates lots of new possibilities for midfield partnerships. First of all we can be sure that we'll have a world class option for the holding role when Carrick's not available. And hopefully in three years time, when Schweinsteiger's contract expires and Carrick has retired, Blind will be ready to step up and play the holding role at the highest level.

Secondly, Schweinsteiger can play next to Carrick, his role in the build up play and in getting the ball forward can be critical in LvG's tactics. As a bonus, he can add that much needed physicality and close down attackers in our half so that Carrick and the defensive line have the time to get behind the ball. This would also mean that Herrera will get the chance to play in a more advanced role and spend more time in the final third, which i guess is something most of our fans want to see.

Thirdly, we'll have ready made solutions able to perform at a very high level which will help us get through any injury crisis. We'll have four options in the all important holding role (Carrick, Schweinsteiger, Blind and Schneiderlin), three in the #8 position, the one we had so much problems to cover last season (Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Schneiderlin) and at least two for the more attacking b2b role (Herrera, Fellaini will finally become our plan B).

We may also try different tactics, without a holding midfielder but with a #10 instead. We're looking into the possibility of signing two players, Bastian and Morgan, who can cover lots of ground on the pitch and they can do it quickly as well as efficiently. Given that, LvG will have the opportunity to try Mata or Rooney (in case we sign a top striker too) in the hole without sacrificing his possession football and his high defensive line.

Last edited:

Dave89

He adds that he can jump in instead of Carrick when Carrick is injured and he can play nr. 8 too. Not to mention leadership, winning mentality and so on..
Yup, we looked lost without Carrick at times this season, will be great to have someone to step in.

Shark

@NotShark
Bastian Schweinsteiger in a United shirt lads. Who the feck cares about his age, he's a player that could be the difference between us winning the league and not. You don't turn down those opportunities.

Havak

Pokemon master
If we do complete this signing along with Schneiderlin, then I'll be as happy with our central midfield as I've been since the days of Keane and Scholes. It's likely we'll play 2/3 of the aforementioned and Carrick, with Herrera/Fellaini/Mata/Rooney as the number 10 or advanced MF in a 433. Very strong.

Mali_Zeus

You make some good points, but the bolded area in particular is pretty much supporting what I am saying - that the situation we have had over the last 5+ years has often been one where our so-called talented youngsters have not been given chances in the first team due to these 'geriatrics'. Even the much maligned Cleverley showed potential, but we preferred to play Giggs and Scholes practically into their 40's. Fabio was meant to be the more talented twin, but he couldnt get a sniff in with a 30+ year old Evra. Wilson couldnt get gametime ahead of RVP and Falcao for most of last season...
Dont understand this. Cleverley had too much chances if you asked me. He played a lot but proved he's a average or below average player. Fabio was meant to be more talented but where is he now? I dont even know in which club he plays.
You dont give youth chance after chance if they're not good enough.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I guess if there is one thing you can trust LVG with, it is his ability to recognize and utilize young talent. If he thinks there is a 20 year old player X that is as good as 28 year old player Y, the 20 year old will get his opportunities.
He has a good record with youth so I hope that is the case. I have a niggling concern that because LVG is only likely to be here another two years, he may see fit to prioritise short term success however, leaving us in a Mourinho type situation where he wins a couple of trophies but then leaves the squad in a mess once he leaves. I hope that is not the case of course.

Well Januzaj yes, we're yet to see how much game time he'll get. but as for midfield position, one which Schweinsteiger will occupy we dont have any youngsters ready to burst into scene. You yourself have said it I think.

And you dont see a point in buying him cause we can get a few more years out of Carrick.
But as I asked, what happens if Carrick is injured.
The question I pose though is that what if we do/did have promising youngsters in midfield, but they simply havent been able to get a sniff because of our over-utilisation of Giggs, Scholes, Jones, Rooney etc in midfield in previous years?

Basically if I had it my way, we would sign Schneiderlin and that would be that (in midfield). The midfield we had last year had a great balance in my opinion, and I would be happy to continue with that, with Schneiderlin to compete/cover for Carrick (answering your question about Carrick being injured). In front, Herrera, Fellaini and Di Maria would compete for the two more advanced box to box roles. I thought we played some fantastic football with that setup, so I am a bit disappointed that all signs lead towards us changing to more of a 4-2-3-1.

Injuries, those teams you said there can guarantee around 8 of their first team XI will always be available. Through luck or bad preparation, we have had horrible injuries recently. LVG showed last year though, when the winning formula clicked, he stuck with it. Our most expensive and probably most talented player was sitting on the bench.
And yet the formula that worked well for us last year looks like it is going to be changed. But this also relates to the point I often make about continuity and consistency in the playing side.

LilRicky

Comparisons to Falcao are very, very tenuous. This is a van Gaal signing with the perfect skill set to fulfil the role in an area we desperately need to strengthen. Falcao was a Woodward/Mendes signing with the wrong skill set in an area we didn't need to strengthen.

Falcao was a signing to show the world we could still attract world class players and afford the biggest wages even when out of the champions league. Schweinsteiger is a relatively low cost signing to take us one step closer to challenging in the PL and CL.

Not really, he is more expensive than Falcao.

Bastian will be collection €10m per season in wages and along with the fee (which is relatively low), all things considered he will set us back at least €35-40 approx.

Add in the recent injuries and his age I can understand why some are concerned.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
I think the negativity is only because people are worried this is it, we'd have a relatively ageing midfield, however if we sign Morgan too then our midfield all of a sudden looks fecking immense.
I understand the negative notion but you'd be stupid to think that this would not be a positive signing.

izec

He is United made, isnt he? If there was one player outside of United that really has that United aura, it is him. The way he also talked about us and English football, it is really great. The picture of him putting an arm around Giggs at half time is also great. He also went at half time or after the game in the United vs Bayern legend game to grab Scholes' shirt.

I also like the fact that there is no competition for him, if he moves it was always to be United.

Mali_Zeus

He has a good record with youth so I hope that is the case. I have a niggling concern that because LVG is only likely to be here another two years, he may see fit to prioritise short term success however, leaving us in a Mourinho type situation where he wins a couple of trophies but then leaves the squad in a mess once he leaves. I hope that is not the case of course.

The question I pose though is that what if we do/did have promising youngsters in midfield, but they simply havent been able to get a sniff because of our over-utilisation of Giggs, Scholes, Jones, Rooney etc in midfield in previous years?

Basically if I had it my way, we would sign Schneiderlin and that would be that (in midfield). The midfield we had last year had a great balance in my opinion, and I would be happy to continue with that, with Schneiderlin to compete/cover for Carrick (answering your question about Carrick being injured). In front, Herrera, Fellaini and Di Maria would compete for the two more advanced box to box roles. I thought we played some fantastic football with that setup, so I am a bit disappointed that all signs lead towards us changing to more of a 4-2-3-1.

And yet the formula that worked well for us last year looks like it is going to be changed. But this also relates to the point I often make about continuity and consistency in the playing side.
But he isnt proiritising short term success. Look at the age of players bought last year (Shaw, Herrera, Blind, Rojo) and this year (Memphis and Darmian). How is that short term exactly?

As for formation. LVG doesnt see ADM as a midfielder and I hope he'll prove to be good as a winger, him on one Memphis on other side.
4-2-3-1 is easily transformed to 4-3-3 and vice versa.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Bastian Schweinsteiger in a United shirt lads. Who the feck cares about his age, he's a player that could be the difference between us winning the league and not. You don't turn down those opportunities.
*crosses everything* Would be an amazing signing. One of my favourite players.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Bastian will be collection €10m per season in wages and along with the fee (which is relatively low), all things considered he will set us back at least €35-40 approx.

So he's more expensive if you look at the cost of three years verses the cost of one?

darioterios

don't know, compared to Falcao who is 21 Million GBP for one year of injury-disrupted service failure.

itso 7

As a few others have pointed out, not overly enthused by this, 31 by the time the season starts and attracted through mega-wages, I don't think this is a signing we'd of made under Sir Alex, but got to roll with the times I suppose.
Sir Alex had a fetish for strikers and you can bet your ass he'd be seriously considering Zlatan right now. Mega-wages or not this is a huge coup for us and we are better off paying them to him because he will/should do the business on the pitch unlike a certain Colombian striker we had stinking up the place. The only negative for me would be if this signing torpedoes the Schneiderlin deal.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

And in the three seasons you talk about we will have collective revenues of what, around £1.5 billion?

NessunDorma

I'm shocked at how many are seemingly against this transfer. On form he is still one of the best midfielders in world football, and certainly an upgrade in Carrick (as much as I love him).

£15m is probably slightly over what we should be paying considering he is in the last year of his contract, but seriously, who cares.
Haven't seen anyone come out against the transfer. But a few have voiced doubts over his age and injury record. And those are legitimate doubts.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
If we get Morgan as well, then we're laughing.
Do we actually have collective confidence we'll still get Schneiderlin though? With Carrick as a no.6, Schweinsteiger as another no.6 already? coupled potentially with Blind able to operate there.
LvG would have to see Schneiderlin opperating as a no.8 as well as no.6 surely?

Sir Alex had a fetish for strikers and you can bet your ass he'd be seriously considering Zlatan right now. Mega-wages or not this is a huge coup for us and we are better off paying them to him because he will/should do the business on the pitch unlike a certain Colombian striker we had stinking up the place. The only negative for me would be if this signing torpedoes the Schneiderlin deal.
Yea, true enough.

Utd7

As many have said, irrespective of his age, this is a great signing. At the bare minimum, a signing of this magnitude makes a statement to the football world. He's a marquee name and getting a player of his calibre will make the club look more favourable to foreign talent in the future.

LilRicky

So he's more expensive if you look at the cost of three years verses the cost of one?

If you want to look at it on a 1 year basis for each it's roughly the same amount of money regardless.

Falcao's wage was approx £14m / €19m. Bastian's transfer fee and wages again works out at approx €19m / €20m.

A fair comparison and yes it is Logical @JPRouve

vodrake

No we won't, Schneiderlin is coming back from a knee injury, do not want.
He'd cost us €80M over his contract! Which is $90M US dollars! which is 1.1 billion South African Rand! And thats a large number!

prath92

'Hey he is not PL proven. We should have bought Milner or delph instead.' For God s sake! If we had bought Milner or something then we would be complaining we signed him when schweini was available we went for a lower level of player

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
What time is this presentation thing?

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Probably already been said but this would be fantastic as his influence around the dressing room alone could take us up a level as a team, never mind his world class ability. He has the sort of character you need in your squad if you are to win titles.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If you want to look at it on a 1 year basis for each it's roughly the same amount of money regardless.

Falcao's wage was approx £14m / €19m. Bastian's transfer fee and wages again works out at approx €19m / €20m.

A fair comparison and yes it is Logical @JPRouve
No it's not, you forgot the loan fee. Which were 6m.
And it's not logical, you compared 3 years with 1 year.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
No we won't, Schneiderlin is coming back from a knee injury, do not want.
By that logic, you can't what Bastian either...

I mean, it wasn't a massive injury or anything either.

Do we actually have collective confidence we'll still get Schneiderlin though? With Carrick as a no.6, Schweinsteiger as another no.6 already? coupled potentially with Blind able to operate there.
LvG would have to see Schneiderlin opperating as a no.8 as well as no.6 surely?
Depends how much faith he has in the injury records of the pair of them I guess. Might still want some younger legs in there for an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.