BBC: Pep Guardiola wants to coach in England

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

I wasn't fully convinced Pep is coming to City but these quotes have got to be coming from a man who knows he is not going to be at the club next season.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
I like how the BBC says that we might not approach him because he didn't return the call in 2013. It fits in with the idea that the heads of the club think like teenage girls.
While I agree that we must be pragmatic in getting over those sorts of slights we seem to suffer all too often, doesn't Pep's unusual approach to job planning need some consideration? He really does what he wants. I mean we all do, but even for a football coach he is one selfish imperious bastard about his terms of employment. Other big clubs have found a way to tolerate that, but it's worth discussing.

izec

I wasn't fully convinced Pep is coming to City but these quotes have got to be coming from a man who knows he is not going to be at the club next season.
Was never in doubt. His previous comments about Pep were a hint too. 99% done, Pep just needs to sign on the dotted line after the season.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
People can speculate all they want. Fact is, he said he hasnt signed anything yet, so i'm not sure why everyone thinks hes going to City.
Accumulation of things including:
  • City hiring Begiristain and Sorano right after Pep left Barcelona. Txiki gave Pep the Barcelona jobs and they're good friends.
  • In the summer Man City made some sort of deal with Girona in talks led by Pere Guardiola. City bought a couple of players and sent them on loan back to Girona. This helped Girona a lot as they had a fair bit of debt & overall the deal looks as dodgy as the Bebe one.
  • Pellegrini's contract extension during the summer. For most of the summer all the talk was about signing Pep, De Bruyne and Pogba. Pellegrini had his contract extended so that instead of expiring at the end of this season, it expires at the end of next season instead so he'll get a pay-off when Pep replaces him at the end of the season.
  • Pellegrini's comments in a bunch of press conferences sound like someone who knows he isn't going to be there much longer, and he even said it'd be great if City signed Pep!
  • Most people who have connections to Pep saying they're sure he's City bound.
It could be adding 1+1 and coming up with 3, but it all fits.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm sure City have a huge offer on the table and that Chelsea either do or will very soon. I agree that City is his most likely destination but it also sounds like he might still open to offers. Perhaps United history, the challenge of sorting us out and a big offer may sway him? Probably just a negotiating stance but you never know.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
It feels like it's merely a formality that Pep will be managing City next season. At one point in time, it would have been quite an achievement to have Barcelona, Bayern, and Manchester United on your CV. The reality is, managing United doesn't have the same panache or allure it once did. No doubt the United job would have been Pep's biggest challenge by far, but maybe he didn't fancy his chances of repeating prior success at a 3rd LVG club. Either way, can't say I'm too bothered as I don't think we had a real shot of getting him anyways. Mourinho, on the other hand...

Natener

It feels like it's merely a formality that Pep will be managing City next season. At one point in time, it would have been quite an achievement to have Barcelona, Bayern, and Manchester United on your CV. The reality is, managing United doesn't have the same panache or allure it once did. No doubt the United job would have been Pep's biggest challenge by far, but maybe he didn't fancy his chances of repeating prior success at a 3rd LVG club. Either way, can't say I'm too bothered as I don't think we had a real shot of getting him anyways. Mourinho, on the other hand...
The allure would have been to follow SAF. Taking after the legendary manager of the modern era and succeeding would have been a huge and exciting challenge. Timing wasn't right on that one and the United job now is no longer much more sparkling than the City job. I mean, what is the challenge United job offers now? Succeeding the great SAF? Nope. Moyes had been there, and LVG too. The golden throne has lost much of its gloss by now.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Just a little something that might interest United fans. Admittedly it's from the sun, but I'd cling onto anything right now.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-set-to-stun-Man-Utd-by-taking-over-City.html
Exactly what i was saying. These managers care more about there name & who they manage even more than success.

Same with LVG who said we were the only comparable team to bayern & barcelona in england.

I dont see why Pep should thibk differently to someone who has followed LVG's managerial route to a tee, sticks to some of the same tactics & even got managed by him.

Until i see him at city - i refuse to believe city are favourites.

Man of Leisure

The allure would have been to follow SAF. Taking after the legendary manager of the modern era and succeeding would have been a huge and exciting challenge. Timing wasn't right on that one and the United job now is no longer much more sparkling than the City job. I mean, what is the challenge United job offers now? Succeeding the great SAF? Nope. Moyes had been there, and LVG too. The golden throne has lost much of its gloss by now.
The challenge would be to restore United to its former glory under the days of SAF. Would be plenty challenging IMO. Agree though that the job has lost much of its luster and not sure if Pep would be up for it. Although if he did take us back atop the league and CL, he'd further cement his reputation as one of the best managers in history.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
The challenge would be to restore United to its former glory under the days of SAF. Would be plenty challenging IMO. Agree though that the job has lost much of its luster and not sure if Pep would be up for it. Although if he did take us back atop the league and CL, he'd further cement his reputation as one of the best managers in history.
How can you say united have lost its luster? =/ after 1 bad year and 1& half average years!

Come on man - city have done shite all and are hardly above us by a great distance. He could be roaming around the mancini's or the SAF's.

Van gaal is a manager who builds clubs out of depth. He has never been hired or said to have been hired on the basics of purely winning titles.

He is building the team for someone & both guardiola and giggs know it. I still regard giggs as the assistant manager who learns from the manager much like mourinho did under van gaal.

If he is patient he can learn under guardiola too & we get the best of both worlds.

Norris

Exactly what i was saying. These managers care more about there name & who they manage even more than success.

Same with LVG who said we were the only comparable team to bayern & barcelona in england.

I dont see why Pep should thibk differently to someone who has followed LVG's managerial route to a tee, sticks to some of the same tactics & even got managed by him.

And Pep is a romantic. And Loves our stadium and our fans and our history. He knows the challenge here will be harder (I for one believe it is time he really takes a team like us and makes them a world beater. That would definitely prove he is a legend in the making). But what I fear is that, City have done all the groundwork, which United have failed to do. Apart from a few maybe informal conversations, I don't think we have progressed as far as City in enticing him. I really think a situation like this could do with an intervention from SAF, but I have read reports that says he prefers Giggs to Pep. If that is indeed true, then I fear LvG might complete his 3 year tenure before handing it over to Giggs. But I, very much like you have some hope that he will come here.

RedDevil@84

And for all those thinking he will join Utd for a challenge, what makes you think that Pep loves a challenge. He has worked with stars at Barca and then moved to the most unchallenged role at Bayern and worked with big names there. So there is hardly anything to think that Pep likes to take up challenges. Maybe he is just a fan of big money and potential to buy biggest stars.

Man of Leisure

@Santiago_KinderBueno I think you've misunderstood me. Not saying the club has lost its luster per se, as every club goes through a rough patch at some point and even the past several seasons won't change what SAF has built over 26 years. But the United job would have been a much more coveted managerial position in 2013 than in 2016 due to our recent downturn. I don't think that's really debateable.

Blackwidow

I think Klopp must now think he is in paradise. 2 not totally settled ball possession teams and a half in Arsenal - maybe others that at first follow the trend. It is a lot easier to set up a team just with pressing and gegenpressing when you do not really care what happens in possession. He just needs some more clinical strikers...How are the betting quotes for Liverpool as EPL champion next season?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
City is a challenge too.

Here's a chance to become their Busby and Ferguson all in one (not in longetivity;but impact)

He can do what Maradona did Napoli. Take a previously smaller club to the next level.

If he is succesful and wins them a European cup for example, he guarantees himself legend status for a generation of City fans . And with such success, he also gives them a chance to attract even more supporters.

For me, that's a challenge.

Blackwidow

The criteria for LVG are many players with a club identity, homegrowns and locals. Pep might have criterias like bunches of technical midfielders...

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
It all feels a little bizarre, Pep is a real top bracket manager and yet I've never been more sure somebody will be at City next season (which still means the typical City fan in me has a little doubt). If that does happen, it's probably the first time we've made a really significant appointment in a manager that has worldwide appeal to top bracket players.

It feels like a long-term strategy in the making to bring Pep to City, particularly from the two Ex Barca boys, and if they pull it off I think it has to be commended to do it right under everyone's nose so far in advance (Bayern included) - while it's a badly kept secret, there are countless other clubs who would have taken his service had they known. Fingers crossed.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I get that the indication seems to be that he's off to city. But to accept it as a fact, then go one step further and blame the united board for failing to land him seems way too premature to me.

For all we know, our board are already in contact with Pep. Until he signs a contract, i still don't think its done and dusted. LVG not getting the sack over Christmas might be due to some agreement this summer.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I never cease to be amazed by the city love in in this place, I wasn't reading these forums when Abramovic came into Chelsea but I imagine it was very similar then. They don't even have that good a team!

Moonred

There's a chance that he doesn't sign for City as we don't know exactly what's happening behind the scenes. But there's little doubt if you go by all the things that has been happening in the last year or so. Txiki, Girona, Pellegrini quotes etc.

Trizy

Those Pellegrini quotes are odd but the more I think about it, it's still up in the air.

Best care scenario is we'll have Pep and Neymar here in the summer and the rest will be history.

Lowkey

In my opinion, it should be seen as a massive failure if we don't land Pep by our board. We should have bagged him before he went to Bayern and we should really make it hard for him to refuse coming to us in the summer.

City, United, Chelsea have all most likely handed him a blank cheque so the choice is up to him really.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I never cease to be amazed by the city love in in this place, I wasn't reading these forums when Abramovic came into Chelsea but I imagine it was very similar then. They don't even have that good a team!
But their team has more top class players which could be important.

Aussie_Red_Devil

I keep trying to tell myself that there is a chance he could come to United but I'm now convinved he will be a City next season.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
It's a mild form of hysteria compounded by our recent struggles if you ask me. To paraphrase Public Enemy it's Fear of a Blue Planet.

Adisa

I keep trying to tell myself that there is a chance he could come to United but I'm now convinved he will be a City next season.
I've come to terms that he's off to City. I think when we appointed LVG our intention was for him to create a top team for Giggs. I can only speculate that we didn't have a plan B. So even if we are interested in him now, we have come on to the scene way too late.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The only thing making me think we have a shot is the fact we haven't bitten the Mourinho fish yet. He was dangled in front of us, and Van Gaal was ready to be chucked back, but we held out.

These fishing metaphors doing anything for you?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I've come to terms that he's off to City. I think when we appointed LVG our intention was for him to create a top team for Giggs. I can only speculate that we didn't have a plan B. So even if we are interested in him now, we have come on to the scene way too late.
If LvG stays for his entire contract, then I will be expecting Giggs to win the league in his first year. If not those three seasons of LvG will have been a complete waste of time. Will it then be years of Giggs settling in as manager and tweaking the team and tweaking the formation?

Adisa

If LvG stays for his entire contract, then I will be expecting Giggs to win the league in his first year. If not those three seasons of LvG will have been a complete waste of time. Will it then be years of Giggs settling in as manager and tweaking the team and tweaking the formation?
This. What's is the point of enduring LVG's three years of transition only for Giggs to have his own period of transition. It will annoy me to no end if Giggs takes over and we are fed the bullshit of having to endure shit results while Giggs gets to grip with management.
If we appoint Giggs, I hope the board will demand success like they would have from any other manager.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I've been boring people to death about City's unfair, unearned financial advantage for centuries now but, for once, I'm convinced there's a point to my moaning. For argument's sake, say that Pep wants to remain the best-paid manager in football; now, City can & will pay him an extraordinary salary, one that other clubs simply won't countenance (similar to their attempt at convincing Kaka to join them for a weekly wage which doubled the standard wage for even the superstars in our game). Further, say that Pep agrees to be City's boss because that salary was the deciding factor - this has the potential to utterly shape and totally change the future history of City, their rivals, and the League; how is this fair to other clubs? It would, if Pep is successful, make a mockery of 'a level playing-field', and all because of of unearned money.