BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlclauhk

I find it very telling that the club have not responded to this.

This is hardly the type of tabloid / newspaper gossip they can ignore - this is a direct quote from a director of another club. Seeing as they haven't come out to deny it, there surely must be some weight / truth behind the statement. LVG must be furious if the board did go behind his back.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I find it very telling that the club have not responded to this.

This is hardly the type of tabloid / newspaper gossip they can ignore - this is a direct quote from a director of another club. Seeing as they haven't come out to deny it, there surely must be some weight / truth behind the statement. LVG must be furious if the board did go behind his back.
What makes you think LVG hasn't been told the situation behind closed doors? I imagine he was probably told a good while ago. It could be another of reasons - but let him snipe at the press under the guise of someone fully backed and supported. City changing managers probably won't do them any favors from now till the end of the season.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I was responding to the idea he hadn't been told.....but yes Nick. He would have to be told else they would question why the club haven't defended him. We can't really defend him though. There has to be dialogue because, in all probability, he would have been sacked at other clubs.

nick2004

I was responding to the idea he hadn't been told.....but yes Nick. Someone would have to be told else they would question why the club haven't defended him in public
I mean... does he have to be told he is to be sacked? Isn't he old enough to know that he hasn't performed and he is a prime candidate to be sacked? And naturally the club has to prepare for the day after?

LonelyFire

I mean... does he have to be told he is to be sacked? Isn't he old enough to know that he hasn't performed and he is a prime candidate to be sacked? And naturally the club has to prepare for the day after?
I actually think he should have walked of his own accord and i'm surprised he hasn't.

chicha14

has Di Marzio commented on any of this? Usually our transfer windows link us to every player under the sun, this season it will be about Managers. IF there is going to be a change in manager , it needs to be done early and efficiently.

Rockets Redglare

He lost a load of money to Madoff as well didnt he, so its quite possible his financial position isnt as great as youd expect for a manager of his reputation and experience, so the money might be especially important to him in this case.
That's what I think, he's always walked away when things have gone wrong with his head held high.
He's definitely after a final payout.

Kostur

海尔的老板
has Di Marzio commented on any of this? Usually our transfer windows link us to every player under the sun, this season it will be about Managers. IF there is going to be a change in manager , it needs to be done early and efficiently.
He's said that Mou will join us next season most likely couple of weeks ago, I think he retweeted the recent news coming from Moratti as well.

Infra-red

The preposterous figure of Di Marzio has been saying for weeks that Mourinho to United is already a done deal. Apart from 'Arry Redknapp, nobody else agrees.

LonelyFire

Shows how thick I am but, 12 years later and it only dawns on me now that he didn't even own the thing. Not one of his brightest ideas
The Coolmore fiasco, his son acting as an agent on deals within Utd, the Bebe transfer.....you could go on.

Charlton, Gill, and Ferguson lost their right to a "moral fibre" vote on Mourinho the minute they stood by and let the bastards in the door.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The preposterous figure of Di Marzio has been saying for weeks that Mourinho to United is already a done deal. Apart from 'Arry Redknapp, nobody else agrees.
and Bedy Morrati, don't forget Bedy

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The Coolmore fiasco, his son acting as an agent on deals within Utd, the Bebe transfer.....you could go on.

Charlton, Gill, and Ferguson lost their right to a "moral fibre" vote on Mourinho the minute they stood by and let the bastards in the door.
And yet...despite all that, I'd still trust them to put United first.

prateik

Fergie will further cement his legendary status if he can keep Mourinho out of the club.

RedRover

Even if he wasn't leaving end of season, his contract is at a stage the club should be talking to replacements now.
He is already mentioned something similar in that interview with the journalist. Due to type of relationship he has with the higher up he'd expect them to tell him its happening. Though I don't know the facts but I believe he was approached by United to take the job, so would assume his relationship/contract with the bosses has detail is a lot more different to what most of us are assuming.
As I said, he's not daft. He knows that the level of performance is not acceptable and he seems to be ever more aware of his own limitations. The defiance he had before has gone - and now he seems to realise that it's not working and probably doubts that he's the man to fix it.

He's lost the players, he's lost the fans and the media are all over him and a previously very good reputation as one of the best and brightest in football lies in tatters. The fact that we're speaking to replacements is, I suspect, the least of his worries. It's all over the papers and as a man who is pragmatic at best (and at his worst ex-communicates players - even those he has history with), I personally don't think he's likely to be precious about it. If he is then he's a hypocrite.

RedRover

ignoring the fact that that story is from the mirror...

if we are appointing giggs next then what the feck are we waiting for? clearly we're not going anywhere with LVG.
Indeed. In my opinion, if Giggs was getting the job he'd already have it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
And yet...despite all that, I'd still trust them to put United first.
Sir Bobby yes.. I have no doubt he has the clubs best interests at heart and is just old fashioned and very misguided.

Fergie I do not trust at all. His managerial stock remains at an all time high while United suffer, or if they do succeed under one of his proteges.

Mourinho being successful here would make everyone forget SAF pretty fast, he has that sort of cult following.. he's definitely a threat to the latters legacy, he'd be seen as yesterdays man just like Busby faded into the background once Fergie was successful.

Rockets Redglare

Sir Bobby yes.. I have no doubt he has the clubs best interests at heart and is just old fashioned and very misguided.

Fergie I do not trust at all. His managerial stock remains at an all time high while United suffer, or if they do succeed under one of his proteges.

Mourinho being successful here would make everyone forget SAF pretty fast, he has that sort of cult following.. he's definitely a threat to the latters legacy, he'd be seen as yesterdays man just like Busby faded into the background once Fergie was successful.
:lol: Don't be so ridiculous.

SteveJ

Scout
SAF will be long gone once (read: if) Mourinho even begins to challenge Fergie's record of United success...and even that's providing José actually stays at the club for a reasonable length of time. So I can't take seriously this idea that SAF is scared of someone beating his records - it'd take ages to do so, even if we had all the luck in the world & our domestic and European rivals fall to pieces.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
SAF will be long gone once (read: if) Mourinho even begins to challenge Fergie's record of United success...and even that's providing José actually stays at the club for a reasonable length of time. So I can't take seriously this idea that SAF is scared of someone beating his records - it'd take ages to do so, even if we had all the luck in the world & our domestic and European rivals fall to pieces.
I don't mean Fergie is fearful Mourinho will > Fergie's reign at United - no chance of Mourinho being able to stay that long or being that consistent. I mean he already has a pretty stellar managerial record and by doing well here.. his overall managerial career would be seen as probably the greatest of all time if he was to take on Pep, beat him and help himself to another CL trophy or two. What would make that worse from Fergies perspective is that he achieves that on his own patch, thus diminishing his own legacy within the club. Right now, Fergie's stock has never been higher as he has no living rival to compete with.. he is pretty much the Godfather of this club, the numero uno in terms of status. Mourinho would definitely change that if he hit the ground running which in my mind there is no doubt he would.

Even someone like Ancellotti, he might have more CL's, but he does not have the aura that Fergie does or the respect. The Scotsman's CV is seen as impeccable. His only true contenders in the modern game are Pep and Mourinho who like Fergie really do believe in the 'cult of the manager'. All three are pretty self absorbed and desire the limelight.. whereas Ancellotti seems very relaxed and takes the game lightly. For those three, their legacy is incredibly important to them..

Fergie knows if Mourinho was to come in, any power or sway he has over the club would be greatly diminished. He would rather have a puppet on board.

This is all based on assumptions but I like many of you have read Fergie's autobiographies etc and I do get a sense that he is very egotistical which served him both as strength but post career could be a hindrance as a director whose best interests should be whatever is best for the club.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I wouldn't think Fergie would want United to fail or be in the situation they are in, however, I can believe that his arrogance could lead him to believe that by mentoring Giggs then nothing can go wrong.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Jesus wept, what a load of nonsense.

Needham

Yea I agree how does it? so fergie is wanting to hire managers not good enough so they will never match his so called legacy, it makes no sense
Fergie might be Machavellian and as insecure as the next quasi-genius but I wouldn't seriously suspect him of wanting to bolt the door against potential rivals to his record. Because
1. Unless SAF becomes a centenerian, he'd be dead years before they get close.
2. Mourinho, or anybody else, would have to do a Bob Paisley for the debate to even open up.
He didn't like Ericson or the idea of ericson because he thought the guy was a fraud, a teflon character who schmoozed his way to success. With Mourinho, SAF certainly realizes he's the real deal. So if he doesn't like him for the job it is personal. He musn't like the image of that man, that personality and ego, sitting in his office, feet up on the desk, welcoming opposing managers in for a glass of red. It is a tad hard to picture Ferguson in the stand for Mourinho games and triumphs. This and a number of other similar odd human factors could be holding up his instant appointment.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This character assassination of Fergie and CO92, particularly since they've given so much to United is very sad to see. All of it is based upon RI's twitter ramblings which make it more sad.

SteveJ

Scout
Now, though, there's little appetite in polls among fans for Giggs becoming United manager. Supporters want Van Gaal to be dismissed and replaced by Mourinho as soon as possible.

Such polls always sway with results and favour the fashionable names of the day.
Yawn. Mitten's remark ignores the fact that 'fashionable name' Mourinho had a disastrous season regarding his 'results' with Chelsea.

Oneunited26

Fergie might be Machavellian and as insecure as the next quasi-genius but I wouldn't seriously suspect him of wanting to bolt the door against potential rivals to his record. Because
1. Unless SAF becomes a centenerian, he'd be dead years before they get close.
2. Mourinho, or anybody else, would have to do a Bob Paisley for the debate to even open up.
He didn't like Ericson or the idea of ericson because he thought the guy was a fraud, a teflon character who schmoozed his way to success. With Mourinho, SAF certainly realizes he's the real deal. So if he doesn't like him for the job it is personal. He musn't like the image of that man, that personality and ego, sitting in his office, feet up on the desk, welcoming opposing managers in for a glass of red. It is a tad hard to picture Ferguson in the stand for Mourinho games and triumphs. This and a number of other similar odd human factors could be holding up his instant appointment.
The thing is, we do not want to be turning into the English FA, appointing complete inept idiots managing our club, and looking back at the people we could have got because the board want a certain type of person that fits their twisted logic more than what is needed, we could say VG's personality is of another extreme, but tactically another dinosaur just like Moyes. We can say we have also appointed 2 frauds in Moyes and VG, but if by some miracle we fail to appoint Mourinho, it would worry me we have a board set in the ways like the English FA. I do hope guys like Charlton are not having that much of an influence they would rather appoint people like giggs, than someone like Mourinho. It would just worry me if Mourinho is not appointed when he was there for the taken, that this board is the FA 2.0

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

I've seen some absolute ridiculous crap written on this forum, but I think you've just won first prize in the moronic drivel competition

SteveJ

Scout
The thing is, we do not want to be turning into the English FA, appointing complete inept idiots managing our club, because the board want a certain type of person not rattling a few cages, we could say VG's personality is of another extreme, but tactically another dinosaur just like Moyes. We can say we have also appointed 2 frauds in Moyes and VG, but if by some miracle we fail to appoint Mourinho, it would worry me we have a board set in the ways like the English FA.
That's a good point; there's a real concern that the board would prefer to make ambassadorial/PR-friendly appointments. However, I fear that Mourinho isn't quite the maverick of legend but yet another boss like Moyes & van Gaal - another one who will keep faith with past-it players like Carrick & Rooney based on their reputations and status. For me, even 'results-first' José isn't likely to be pragmatic and objective enough to sort out our problems ruthlessly.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That's a good point; there's a real concern that the board would prefer to make ambassadorial/PR-friendly appointments. However, I fear that Mourinho isn't quite the maverick of legend but yet another boss like Moyes & van Gaal - another one who will keep faith with past-it players like Carrick & Rooney based on their reputations and status. For me, even 'results-first' José isn't likely to be pragmatic and objective enough to sort out our problems ruthlessly.

Who is then?

wiz4231

I've seen some absolute ridiculous crap written on this forum, but I think you've just won first prize in the moronic drivel competition
It's okay, the cafe has official gone RAWK, this delusional state will result in incarceration for a few when Giggs is named interim manager till the end of the season. Stay strong and keep faith

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I just don't get this argument that Mourinho's possible success makes people forget about Sir Alex.

Anyone who forgets about the unparalleled accomplishments Sir Alex has achieved in the last 25 years, all because Mourinho will probably win a league title or two, probably shouldn't really be consulted about football opinions. Ever. Because they are most likely to be a dribbling moron.

The thought that Sir Alex wants all future managers to not do as well as he did, and for the club to meander at a level below the level his United were at, is utter madness. Unhinged maniacal madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.