Beating Madrid

Inspectah deck

You left out Modric.

I don't understand how you can claim you've "proved" that it's not much better because of their performances against Barca, seeing as that Barca midfield trio are absolutely unstoppable when they want to be and no team out there is capable of handling them for 90 minutes. And yeah Dortmund did well against them this season, but that was this season, where they haven't been at their best at all.

I think they've a better midfield than we do, and a more stable one, feck knows if Anderson or Cleverley will even be fit to play those games.
Because, well.....the only big team they've dominated is a pathetic City team that got outplayed by every single team in the group home and away? They played the Germans four times and never dominated any of their Midfielders, home and away, that's my reasoning, and this doesn't include any of the Barca games.

Cina

Because, well.....the only big team they've dominated is a pathetic City team that got outplayed by every single team in the group home and away? They played the Germans four times and never dominated any of their Midfielders, home and away, that's my reasoning, and this doesn't include any of the Barca games.
What great teams have we dominated in Europe in the last three/four years?

Cina

Then why rabble on about how their midfield has done in Europe?

I assume you can't think of an answer to my question above.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Broadly agree. Only point I'll pick is that Alonso was an excellent player in 2008/09 and for the years immediately following but this season he has been a shadow of his former self.
He was excellent in 08/09, better and more influential than Carrick's ever been, but in the years preceding that he didn't hit the same heights and he's now reverted back to that form. Alonso like Carrick is dependent on his team to play well because he's a supporting player not a midfield general. When Gerrard was playing just ahead of him in a tight trio with Mascherano he excelled, but that's a perfect setup. That's not comparable to playing alongside Anderson, Giggs, Cleverley or Fletcher. When Ozil/Modric struggles, Alonso struggles. Carrick's the same with Rooney - his worst form came when Berbatov was dropping deep and he had a small dip in form over a couple of seasons but he came to life when Rooney took over the role in 2011. Excellent in 06/07 with Saha as the focal point and Rooney dropping into midfield too, much better than Alonso in his first season.

The only difference between them is Alonso's more expansive passing range and tidier technique but he's not in a different class, not for me.

Ekeke

Lets put it this way, a year ago it would have been a terrible opponent for us. Right now theres no reason to think we cant knock them out.

Cina

Brwned, not a smart-arse question or anything, but do you think that Carrick could play in that Spain 6 man midfield team and not look out of place or a level below?

Inspectah deck

Then why rabble on about how their midfield has done in Europe?

I assume you can't think of an answer to my question above.
Eh? I'm "rambling" about their midfield performances in Europe because it's clear the Barca midfield dominates everyone and isn't an accurate reflection of the strength in midfield for the other teams, so I used 4 games against teams with "normal" but excellent midfields, and they still come up short, Capisce?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
People are asking the wrong questions here and focusing on the wrong things. Leave Madrid out of, focus on United. United has been poor now for a while in the CL. Basically since against Schalke. Clean sheets are very few.

There is still about 5 weeks until the first leg will be played. That's a lot of time for teams to prepare. United especially need it since there has been no stability in the goalkeeping area, defense or midfield this season at all. That needs to be fixed if there's any hope of doing anything noteworthy in Europe this season.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He was excellent in 08/09, better and more influential than Carrick's ever been, but in the years preceding that he didn't hit the same heights and he's now reverted back to that form. Alonso like Carrick is dependent on his team to play well because he's a supporting player not a midfield general. When Gerrard was playing just ahead of him in a tight trio with Mascherano he excelled, but that's a perfect setup. That's not comparable to playing alongside Anderson, Giggs, Cleverley or Fletcher. When Ozil/Modric struggles, Alonso struggles. Carrick's the same with Rooney - his worst form came when Berbatov was dropping deep and he had a small dip in form over a couple of seasons but he came to life when Rooney took over the role in 2011. Excellent in 06/07 with Saha as the focal point and Rooney dropping into midfield too, much better than Alonso in his first season.

The only difference between them is Alonso's more expansive passing range and tidier technique but he's not in a different class, not for me.
Again, agree.

Brwned, not a smart-arse question or anything, but do you think that Carrick could play in that Spain 6 man midfield team and not look out of place or a level below?
Personally I do. That's not me suggesting Carrick's close control and technique are equal to Alonso's but in the double pivot system that Del Bosque uses Carrick wouldn't need to do much other than recycle the ball and he's very good at that. Also at times, dare-I-say it, Alonso looks out of place in that midfield because the Barcelona players like to keep it short and Alonso occasionally goes long and picks out a forward player from deep. Alonso is a more polished player than Carrick, he has the Spanish thing going on, but there's not a huge gaping hole between them. Carrick is a better tackler too.

Cina

Eh? I'm "rambling" about their midfield performances in Europe because it's clear the Barca midfield dominates everyone and isn't an accurate reflection of the strength in midfield for the other teams, so I used 4 games against teams with "normal" but excellent midfields, and they still come up short, Capisce?
Dortmund and Bayern have extremely good midfields, Barca are probably the only team that would dominate them. Bayern certainly didn't dominate Real last year by the way, they were better in the Allianz but not overly so, and Real were better in the Bernebeu.

Real have been poor this season by all accounts so it's no surprise Dortmund outplayed them. An on form Real would be a different story.

Cina

Personally I do. That's not me suggesting Carrick's close control and technique are equal to Alonso's but in the double pivot system that Del Bosque uses Carrick wouldn't need to do much other than recycle the ball and he's very good at that. Also at times, dare-I-say it, Alonso looks out of place in that midfield because the Barcelona players like to keep it short and Alonso occasionally goes long and picks out a forward player from deep. Alonso is a more polished player than Carrick, he has the Spanish thing going on, but there's not a huge gaping hole between them. Carrick is a better tackler too.
Heh, that's probably the way to put it, I dunno, it just came into my head there for some reason, whether Carrick could play well in that Spanish team and not look out of his depth, I reckon he could actually.

Totally off topic though.

andualem

Real's season is geared towards this game and the CL, but when you put all your eggs in the basket sometimes the don't hatch..

Red_Aaron

I don't fear this lot, some good individuals but they clearly have issues with any kind of team ethic. I don't see their being out of the title race as being a positive either, i think they'll continue to falter in la liga due to their lack of interest and it then becomes very difficult to just turn it on when the CL comes around.

On the other hand we'll have to improve if we want to keep up the pace. By february i expect us to be far more solid. Hopefully Vida will have had a couple of months play under his belt and well have all our midfielder available. If we're within a goal after the first leg RVP and Roon will get us through

What a night at OT it should be though, gotta get tickets :devil:

MrMojo

Alonso was slow five years ago, we should be looking at Rooney or Kagawa to be targeting him, I'm assuming Real will be doing the same with Carrick.

Ultimately Ronaldo is the difference, he's a level above any other player on the pitch and it will probably be telling.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Yes.

I don't think Senna was ever a better player than Carrick - he certainly never looked it when they matched up - but he found it quite easy to play alongside Xavi, Iniesta and co. I imagine most intelligent ball-players would find Xavi and Iniesta a dream to play alongside because they're the perfect team players. This is Xabi Alonso talking about Carrick's role and qualities:

"Gerrard is a great player. He inspires and leads, he is very capable of making players around him raise their game, but he also needs players alongside to bring the best out of him," Alonso told reporters. "I’ve missed a player like Michael Carrick in the England midfield, somebody who knows how to be in the right place at the right time.

"Gerrard gains a lot from having a player like Carrick as a partner, somebody who provides the back-up he needs to be free to bring his power to bear decisively in a game.

"For me it is important to have players in a team who complement one another," he added. "Sometimes the 11 best do not make the best 11. You have to have players with different qualities. Players who can run all day long, who invest a huge physical effort, who attack and defend box to box. But the way I understand it, you also need someone who delivers simple short passes, even if they seem innocuous at the time."
He could be talking about himself. The "back-up" for Gerrard/Ozil/Rooney, there to "be in the right place at the right time" who "delivers simple short passes, even if they seem innocuous at the time". I can only think people see Alonso as something more than this because of the Hollywood balls and occasional flicks/turns. He's not a Xavi, Scholes, Gundogan type with nimble footwork and real influence going forward and he's not a Pirlo, Verratti type who genuinely creates from deep so what is he? A Carrick type that just moves and passes the ball about into the right places at the right times.

I do look forward to seeing how we stand compared to Madrid because the only big teams both teams have played in the last 3 years are Bayern, Barcelona and Milan and they've all went similarly. Both looked similarly comfortable against Ajax and Spurs. Also worth noting that we've added a player like van Persie who scored 3 goals in 2 games v Dortmund last season, the same amount as the entire Madrid team managed this season. I reckon they're not all they're cracked up to be and the midfield will match up well but a bit of brilliance from one of the star attackers is going to swing it.

AARRONB06

De Gea
Rafael/Evra depending on Ronaldo's position
Carrick
Rooney.

I feel if them players perform to there highest, we will go through.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Don't worry everyone, I sorted out the Carrick/Alonso issue earlier this summer:

I'd say Carrick is third-tier, if we're doing it like that:

Top tier - Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo and Scholes at their best
2nd tier - Alonso, Fabregas (currently), Yaya Toure, Schweinsteiger, Sneijder, Gerrard and Essien at their best
3rd tier - Carrick, Van Bommel, Ambrosini
4th tier - Fletcher, Barry, Song, Lucas Leiva (currently)
Tiers of a clown - Adam, Henderson, Spearing

Modric is somewhere between 3 and 2, as was Lampard at his best.

...Yeah there are clearly gradations within each tier. I'd say Scholes and Pirlo are well down the bottom of tier 1, with the likes of Zidane at the top.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Gerrard likely goes in tier 4, or even in tiers of clown based on last season and half.

Donut

I heard that Real play Barcelona just before our game?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Just seen the draw. Inevitable wasn't it. It's been a long time coming.

I reckon we're looking steadily better as the weeks go on and if we've got a fully first XI I think we should be the favourites for this. Not huge favourites, just the 60:40 sort of favourites that a top of the league team should be against a team that hasn't found much rhythm or cohesion but is nonetheless a very strong one. Should be a real contest.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Should be interesting since both sides like to play the counter. I hope Kagawa will be integrated into the XI by the time the tie comes around and the team is flowing

RVP & Rooney will be a handful for Pepe & Ramos and I think Kagawa can run circles around Alonso. The danger is when RM are on the attack and facing your back line but there is ample time to prepare for it

Referees are going to be under immense pressure in this tie

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Should be interesting since both sides like to play the counter...I hope Kagawa will be integrated into the XI by the time the time comes around and the team is flowing

RVP & Rooney will be a handful for Pepe & Ramos and I think Kagawa can run circles around Alonso. The danger is when RM are on the attack and facing your back line but there is ample time to prepare for it

Referees are going to be under immense pressure in this tie
What's your prediction?

DocRockter

Well Ozil, Di Maria, Modric first come to mind when talking about over-rated players in the Real squad..

It's simple: If we stop Ronaldo, we stop Real..

Will be interesting to see Valencia vs. Marcelo and see if one can up their game between the games..

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Btw does anyone else think that Arsenal arguably have got a tougher draw than us?
Of course they do. They are away in the second leg and Bayern won't suit them at all.