Benjamin Mendy

Brophs

The One and Only
If he’s out for 9 months then I’ll wager it’ll be a race between City and Liverpool as to who can buy their preferred Southampton player in January.

Thisistheone

City are mental. Player gets injured, first thing manager says is we'll look to buy in January.

Promote some fecking youth players for once.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not really, United don't have a top left back but plenty of decent options. Apart from Danilo your options haven't played 3-4 games between them at left back. You may need to resort to Sane or Sterling to do a job there.
Imo for a top side, I don't even think our options are decent.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground

Not a big fan of this guy on Twitter usually but I love him shutting down Castles here. Too many journalists tweet like their word is the gospel truth.

Deleted member 101472

Not a big fan of this guy on Twitter usually but I love him shutting down Castles here. Too many journalists tweet like their word is the gospel truth.
What a legend.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I must admit that I was a tad worried when Castles Tweeted that as he's been right about a fair bit of stuff these past few months so assumed he may have the inside track on this, but that reply from Mendy is funny as f*ck!

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I must admit that I was a tad worried when Castles Tweeted that as he's been right about a fair bit of stuff these past few months so assumed he may have the inside track on this, but that reply from Mendy is funny as f*ck!
I still think he’s probably out for a while.

Judas

Open to offers
Great player and just as good on twitter. Will become a massive fan favourite......if he can get himself back in the team after he's replaced in January.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace

Agree although, tbf, you can still make an educated guess on an ACL tear without an MRI

Deleted member 101472

Good job mods.

Has any player ever called out castles like that before? Or any journalist? It's pretty hilarious.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ah Crap! I want us to win the league with every oppo side having a reasonably fit side. Don't want their fans giving these sort of excuses

Pace Abuser

Don't really see anything funny about the tweet other than Mendy being his usual dick self.
Lots of outlets have reported concern/fear of ligament damage. Castles is merely parroting it without stating it's confirmed as Mendy is implying he has with his refrain.

Deleted member 101472

Ah Crap! I want us to win the league with every oppo side having a reasonably fit side. Don't want their fans giving these sort of excuses
I don't think they'd use it as an excuse to be fair, what with the level of talent they clearly have at their disposal.

It's just strange that the first thought is to buy new in January when clearly he's going to have to experiment anyway. Personally hope Leroy sane has been looking good defensively in training and he puts more responsibility on him, because if he's left to keep playing the way he is, he'll tear the league apart, phenomenal talent

Deleted member 101472

Don't really see anything funny about the tweet other than Mendy being his usual dick self.
Lots of outlets have reported concern/fear of ligament damage. Castles is merely parroting it without stating it's confirmed as Mendy is implying he has with his refrain.
I read it in a sarcastic tone. But I can see what you're saying, although defending journos usually means you are one yourself?

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Shame about the injury, was curious to see how he developed over the season under Pep's guidance but the Aarón Martín link in January makes some sense - although getting his buyout down from ‎€30 million won't be easy as both City & Barcelona were rebuffed when trying to negotiate the fee down in the summer. What is clear is that City can't count on Danilo as anything more than depth
How has that been made clear? He's been excellent whenever called upon so far.

Javi

How has that been made clear? He's been excellent whenever called upon so far.
Because he is terribly one footed and not really pacey. Therefore, being played on the left, Danilo can only cut inside which every opponent player will know. So he can't contribute much offensively and given Pep's previous comments and the recruitment regarding full backs, this is a key aspect in Man City tactics.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Either Mendy is a bit thick or something is getting lost in translation. Saying “concern that injury is x” just means it’s a possibility they’re worried about. And an ACL rupture is top of the list of worrying possibilities with every nasty knee injury.

Obviously, a formal diagnosis can’t be made until after the MRI. He’ll look like a bit of a prat if these concerns that Castles is reporting on turn out to be justified.

VanGaalEra

I really don't care what other fans have to say, I just want to win the league.

VanGaalEra

Either Mendy is a bit thick or something is getting lost in translation. Saying “concern that injury is x” just means it’s a possibility they’re worried about.

Obviously, a formal diagnosis can’t be made until after the MRI. He’ll look like a bit of a prat if these concerns that Castles is reporting on turn out to be justified.
That's true if it does end up being in the 6-9 months bracket, this tweet will look bad.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Why is everyone laughing at mendy? He put concerns at city that it is ruptured... I should imagine they are concerned.

ChaddyP

Love journos being called out but Castles reported a concern that city have. He said they are concerned he MAY have ruptured his ACL. Which obviously is a 9 month lay off. You don't need to be a doctor to report the concern of a club, being a journalist can help though.

Devil may care

Seems he's out for a very long time.
Pep's comment is the difference between how they are ran and how we are ran, we've been without a top LB for 2 seasons now and went into this season waiting on a guy that has been injured for the best part of 2 years to hopefully come good, meanwhile swapping the position every week.

Summit

Also. They do have “test to see if ruptured ACL or not”. It’s called an MRI scan.
All he is saying is no one has done that test yet to see if he has ruptured it. He isn't saying there is no test available

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Pep's comment is the difference between how they are ran and how we are ran, we've been without a top LB for 2 seasons now and went into this season waiting on a guy that has been injured for the best part of 2 years to hopefully come good, meanwhile swapping the position every week.
Yeah, shame on us for trying to be patient with a talented young player who’s already at the club. We should follow their lead and buy! buy! buy!

Summit

Yeah, I get that. But it’s kind of ironic that he’s calling out Castles for tweeting as though he’s a doctor in a tweet which is poorly worded in its own right.
Tbf English isn't his first language and here lies the problem. Perhaps he should have asked before wading in.

Devil may care

Yeah, shame on us for trying to be patient with a talented young player who’s already at the club. We should follow their lead and buy! buy! buy!
Way to jump on something just to try and play to the crowd, I wasn't criticizing either club, just making an observation.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
For first team all were obvious candidates. Yes you signed players before others did but that doesn't mean they weren't the obvious candidates. Whether you weakened the PL rivals or not is not under discussion here, signings beyond obvious candidates is.

Walker, Mendy, Danilo, B.Silva are all obvious candidates.

Signing some youngsters for your development squad hardly counts when we are talking about first team player replacement.
Well my initial response was to a guy who stated that we'd probably just splash out 80m on Alex Sandro to cover the Mendy injury because with unlimited money available that's what we do.
My response was to give the name of an alternative player who would cost about 20m and said that we go beyond the obvious.
There are occasions where we need to get the top available player for a pressing need but you have to get those signings over the line.
It's not always the richest club that gets the man, the quality of players in the squad, the Challenge of the domestic League, the management and training facilities together with remuneration and the desirability of location all play a part.
As does the timing and quality of the bid.

On other occasions you are buying for the future and via your scouts and contacts trying to get the jump on your rivals. I gave examples of those types of players also.
To summarise my point is that we will splash the cash when necessary but it's not all we do.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Way to jump on something just to try and play to the crowd, I wasn't criticizing either club, just making an observation.
I didn't realise your observation was entirely neutral. Anyway, as you can see, I much prefer our approach. I already hate the way PL spending has lost the run of itself. The day that clubs start to talk about buying a replacement the next window for every player who gets a semi-serious injury is the day we've definitely jumped the shark.