Benjamin Mendy

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, I get that. But it’s kind of ironic that he’s calling out Castles for tweeting as though he’s a doctor in a tweet which is poorly worded in its own right.
Not really, he's shutting him down for making up a story and acting like he has inside knowledge when he's not a doctor, and he then proceeds it by saying no one currently knows the timescale... pretty easy to understand not sure what bit tripped you up.

SirAF

Ageist
Ah Crap! I want us to win the league with every oppo side having a reasonably fit side. Don't want their fans giving these sort of excuses
Bollocks to that! I want to win the league period.

Suedesi

Either Mendy is a bit thick or something is getting lost in translation. Saying “concern that injury is x” just means it’s a possibility they’re worried about. And an ACL rupture is top of the list of worrying possibilities with every nasty knee injury.

Obviously, a formal diagnosis can’t be made until after the MRI. He’ll look like a bit of a prat if these concerns that Castles is reporting on turn out to be justified.
My thoughts exactly.

Devil may care

I didn't realise your observation was entirely neutral. Anyway, as you can see, I much prefer our approach. I already hate the way PL spending has lost the run of itself. The day that clubs start to talk about buying a replacement the next window for every player who gets a semi-serious injury is the day we've definitely jumped the shark.
If I'd felt a specific way I'd have been more direct, I think Guardiola talking about buying a replacement for a £50M fullback who will be returning from the injury before the end of the season comes off as pathetic and desperate, with Shaw I think if he were German or French etc...we'd have already moved on, but like with Hargreaves we are going above and beyond.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not really, he's shutting him down for making up a story and acting like he has inside knowledge when he's not a doctor, and he then proceeds it by saying no one currently knows the timescale... pretty easy to understand not sure what bit tripped you up.
Now you’re sounding like Mendy. Since when do you need a medical degree to work out that a serious looking knee injury could be a ruptured ACL?!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If I'd felt a specific way I'd have been more direct, I think Guardiola talking about buying a replacement for a £50M fullback who will be returning from the injury before the end of the season comes off as pathetic and desperate, with Shaw I think if he were German or French etc...we'd have already moved on, but like with Hargreaves we are going above and beyond.
Cool. Looks like we’re on the same page re City.

Re Shaw. We paid 30m for a teenage fullback. Which shows how highly rated he must be. I don’t think nationality comes into it.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
What has he made up? :lol: Duncan has basically said it is a cancern for city that he may had ruptured his ACL. Do you not think City won't be concerned of this or something?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
What has he made up? :lol: Duncan has basically said it is a cancern for city that he may had ruptured his ACL. Do you not think City won't be concerned of this or something?
Id be shocked if city didnt know one way or the other if he had ruptured his ACL - I'm sure he will have seen numerous doctors and undergone scans by now and City will know know what the injury is

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Id be shocked if city didnt know one way or the other if he had ruptured his ACL - I'm sure he will have seen numerous doctors and undergone scans by now and City will know know what the injury is
Standard practice to wait a few days before scanning a serious knee injury. Immediately after the injury the joint will be full of blood which makes imaging tricky. They’ll try to get the swelling down a bit first. Meanwhile, nobody can be certain exactly what sort of damage he’s done.

Deleted member 101472

injuries get determined pretty quickly. Was playing tennis last night with the mrs and a few of her friends and one went down injured and she knew it was her achilles. two hours later hospital confirmed an 80% tear. City know the extent of the injury, for sure.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Because he is terribly one footed and not really pacey. Therefore, being played on the left, Danilo can only cut inside which every opponent player will know. So he can't contribute much offensively and given Pep's previous comments and the recruitment regarding full backs, this is a key aspect in Man City tactics.
You're speaking to a set of fans who've just had Clichy and Kolarov as their left backs. You could completely chop off Danilo's left leg and he'd still be less of a liability at LB than Clichy was last season.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
That's true if it does end up being in the 6-9 months bracket, this tweet will look bad.
Not really, he's only saying that no one knows the extent of his injury yet, and you can imagine in his situation why he's annoyed when he's going to be anxiously waiting for the results of his tests, praying he hasn't got anything serious, and then some boiled egg appears on his Twitter feed speculating that his season could basically be over and dressing it up as some informed opinion.

ti vu

injuries get determined pretty quickly. Was playing tennis last night with the mrs and a few of her friends and one went down injured and she knew it was her achilles. two hours later hospital confirmed an 80% tear. City know the extent of the injury, for sure.
As top level with small margin, they need to get the best accurate diagnosis as possible. The medical team should and can pretty guess what type and ow serious the injury. However they can't be for sure to the very detail thus estimate recovery time by now. Like 5cm tear can be another story from 2cm. Which Duncan had a point about the "concern", as Duncan might overheard City staff having the concern talk.

Last edited:

Devil may care

Cool. Looks like we’re on the same page re City.

Re Shaw. We paid 30m for a teenage fullback. Which shows how highly rated he must be. I don’t think nationality comes into it.
His nationality is why we had to pay so much IMO, decent English players are in short supply these days and as many here still like to remind us, we are an English club so I think there's still a pressure to have some English players. We've had over 2 years now with no sign of Shaw being close to establishing himself as the first choice LB, so we've let the position stagnate, I just don't think we'd have done that for so long had Shaw not been English.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
His nationality is why we had to pay so much IMO, decent English players are in short supply these days and as many here still like to remind us, we are an English club so I think there's still a pressure to have some English players. We've had over 2 years now with no sign of Shaw being close to establishing himself as the first choice LB, so we've let the position stagnate, I just don't think we'd have done that for so long had Shaw not been English.
He is still young and has had major injury issues. I do not think nationality has anything to do with us not completely giving up yet.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We did same with Anderson for 8 years and he wasn't English or home grown player.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That's way too simplistic pal.
The player will know its his knee immediately of course.
But as the chap above said they can't diagnose the exact until the swelling has gone down in knees.
Not all areas are the same.

There can be a fear its a certain injury but itll come out when they know. Theyd do well to conceal it and i d be no benefit to anyway!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It was a huge english tax inflation and he's still very young. So its very understandable we'll give every chance of recovery.
However he surely has this season to prove his value or its unthinkable wed let, it go another window

You cant rotate a veteran winger an average Darmian and a utility man in blind and hope to make real progress. It saved shaw that we had bigger priorities elsewhere this summer

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Do City have a young LB to bring in? Or is the answer a new signing.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Actually, not for sure which is why the actual diagnostic exam will clarify the extent of the injury. It's much ado about nothing, equally on the player's tweet (despite being funny) as well as Castles who cannot rush to even a potential conclusion on how long he may be out until it's actually been confirmed.

Yet, I am also of the belief that the club & player, already, are reasonably certain what the extent of the injury is just from the simple physical exam he undoubtedly had but that does not equate to certainty. It'll be confirmed soon enough and either way it has already been painfully overanalysed

It wasn't long ago that ACL repair & rehab, of any kind, was the athlete kiss of death but even with the medical advances today there are never any guarantees about a player recovering their same level. So yeah, I think it's still a big deal for a player

Deleted member 101472

That's way too simplistic pal.
The player will know its his knee immediately of course.
But as the chap above said they can't diagnose the exact until the swelling has gone down in knees.
Not all areas are the same.

There can be a fear its a certain injury but itll come out when they know. Theyd do well to conceal it and i d be no benefit to anyway!
Reading it back, I should have wrote "the rough extent"

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Jim Beglin giving it some in that tweet! haha

Not a fan of castles by the looks of it.

Devil may care

He is still young and has had major injury issues. I do not think nationality has anything to do with us not completely giving up yet.
His injury was over 2 years ago now and he has made no real progress in returning, I personally think the fact we are well down on English players factors in.

We did same with Anderson for 8 years and he wasn't English or home grown player.
You can't sell the court jester! :D

It was a huge english tax inflation and he's still very young. So its very understandable we'll give every chance of recovery.
However he surely has this season to prove his value or its unthinkable wed let, it go another window

You cant rotate a veteran winger an average Darmian and a utility man in blind and hope to make real progress. It saved shaw that we had bigger priorities elsewhere this summer
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against giving him a chance but I agree, 3 full seasons is more than enough to give any player, we can't keep up the muscial chairs at LB indefinitely, this will be 3 full seasons of it come next summer, teams are always better with a settled back 4.

prtk0811

His injury was over 2 years ago now and he has made no real progress in returning, I personally think the fact we are well down on English players factors in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against giving him a chance but I agree, 3 full seasons is more than enough to give any player, we can't keep up the muscial chairs at LB indefinitely, this will be 3 full seasons of it come next summer, teams are always better with a settled back 4.
He just came back last season and was injured again at the end of last season.

Devil may care

He just came back last season and was injured again at the end of last season.
That's what I'm saying, his progress is virtually non existent, he broke his leg 2 full years ago and is no closer to being match ready, it's a long time off when you are a player who was still in the development phase of your career to begin with.

prtk0811

That's what I'm saying, his progress is virtually non existent, he broke his leg 2 full years ago and is no closer to being match ready, it's a long time off when you are a player who was still in the development phase of your career to begin with.
We will have to be patient with him to be completely fit rather than rushing him back. Makes no sense letting him go, even he has a off season or a ok season. He'll come around.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

That's it. If he can't show he can be a good option for proper runs of games over the rest of this season, we need to bring quality in. A Danny Rose or someone.
Shaw can then be back up, which is all he at the moment anyway!

He's in a difficult position in a way. Yes he'll never need to work again and is covered financially, but he could very easily find himself plummeting down the standard teams. There's not much call for players who can't put in 4-5 games without breaking down. It's like the position Phil Jones was the last couple of years.

He's doing nicely right now, and a few years older, so fingers crossed.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Reading it back, I should have wrote "the rough extent"
Yep.
While we all hate City and all they've become, you don't want a player to have a major injury.

It also shows how frail hopes of teams can be too. £50m, plays 3-4 games then our for ages maybe? He's a major way of how they wanted to play with wing backs too.

Devil may care

We will have to be patient with him to be completely fit rather than rushing him back. Makes no sense letting him go, even he has a off season or a ok season. He'll come around.
I'm not sure he will to be honest, I think extending his contract made sense to protect the investment, but he needs to show something this season.

That's it. If he can't show he can be a good option for proper runs of games over the rest of this season, we need to bring quality in. A Danny Rose or someone.
Shaw can then be back up, which is all he at the moment anyway!

He's in a difficult position in a way. Yes he'll never need to work again and is covered financially, but he could very easily find himself plummeting down the standard teams. There's not much call for players who can't put in 4-5 games without breaking down. It's like the position Phil Jones was the last couple of years.

He's doing nicely right now, and a few years older, so fingers crossed.
Yeah, he has to make some kind of impression on the first team this year, I'm not overly sure Mourinho is that keen on him in truth but I'm sure he'll give him some chances.

He's also in a difficult position because United is not an easy club to make your mistakes at, the spotlight is intense, I actually think he'd benefit from a loan in January to a team that can give him steady games without the scrutiny.

prtk0811

I'm not sure he will to be honest, I think extending his contract made sense to protect the investment, but he needs to show something this season.

Yeah, he has to make some kind of impression on the first team this year, I'm not overly sure Mourinho is that keen on him in truth but I'm sure he'll give him some chances.

He's also in a difficult position because United is not an easy club to make your mistakes at, the spotlight is intense, I actually think he'd benefit from a loan in January to a team that can give him steady games without the scrutiny.
And why ? We will not get higher ceiling talents than him in replacement.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's regressed, if anything
Yep. His "ceiling" was sky high, but it was based on him putting in excellent displays. The longer that goes on the more you worry this is now his level. In fact we don't even know as he's basically getting sub appearances only in the league cup

VanGaalEra

Not really, he's only saying that no one knows the extent of his injury yet, and you can imagine in his situation why he's annoyed when he's going to be anxiously waiting for the results of his tests, praying he hasn't got anything serious, and then some boiled egg appears on his Twitter feed speculating that his season could basically be over and dressing it up as some informed opinion.
:lol: :lol: