Berbatov | Fulham player

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He is a player who doesnt know if he is coming or going. And he looks it - and thats what he is!

He has been beyond shocking in his bit part performances this season (except for his outing against Aldershot) But I can understand why due to his current squad status, not just now but basically since last January and especially for him the biggest kick in the nuts the Champions League Final.

Will he get a proper chance again this season? There are 2 CL games and one League Cup game this side of xmas - If he is given the opportunity he has to take them because that will surely lead to chances in the PL. And with 5 handy-ish league games in the league this December he actually could shock us all (well me anyway) and go on a bit of a run.

There is no question he is out of favour with Fergie. And now those who believed it was only because he is Rooney's replacement can forget that, because Welbeck started today with Hernandez.
But it is up to Berbatov. Believe it or not coming from me I really hope he takes his chance because it infuriates me looking at him sitting on the bench and when actually played sulks, pisses and moans at everyone in earshot...

Berbatov. We paid £30 million for half a season. fecking do something and show us you want to be a Manchester Utd player.
I think it has become clear by now that he won't play an important part in this team regardless of his goalscoring form and overall performances. He was dropped and pushed back to 4th striker halfway through last season after scoring 20 goals in just over 20 games, he's not going to suddenly fit in Ferguson's plans. That's why I am a bit surprised we didn't let him go in the Summer, it would have been a good move for all parts involved.

Commadus

He wasn't sold in the summer as he was then still one of our top three strikers. Welbecks form and United initially playing a different game forced him to fourth choice. No one expected such a sudden change. Excuses aside its up to the player to perform. Like Torres at Chelsea it seems personal demons are affecting their mentality and thus form.

Siorac

He was effective for half a season, you can't take that away from him.
Well, not to be nitpicking but he was effective for a month at the start of the season then for another month from December 26. And there was the Blackburn game on its own in the wilderness on November 27.

Basically, he wasn't much better last season than in any of his previous campaigns at United. He scored in 11 league games, the same amount as in 2009/10... Three exceptional games seems to have led to the perception that he was brilliant. He was his usual self for most of the season.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Well, not to be nitpicking but he was effective for a month at the start of the season then for another month from December 26. And there was the Blackburn game on its own in the wilderness on November 27.

Basically, he wasn't much better last season than in any of his previous campaigns at United. He scored in 11 league games, the same amount as in 2009/10... Three exceptional games seems to have led to the perception that he was brilliant. He was his usual self for most of the season.
The second paragraph is absolutely bullshit. Amazing revisionism from some here, he has been average this season in the rare chances he has got, but let's not take away the fact that he was very good last season(well in the first half). We wouldn't have won the title without Berba last season.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

:lol: o lawd:lol:

KM

fecking Rooney, two exceptional games have led to the perception that he has been brilliant this season. What an average season he is having.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

The fact that he had more winning goals than anyone else in the league probably contributed to this perception too. He was pretty handy in helping us win the league, when you think about it.

Siorac

The second paragraph is absolutely bullshit. Amazing revisionism from some here, he has been average this season in the rare chances he has got, but let's not take away the fact that he was very good last season(well in the first half). We wouldn't have won the title without Berba last season.
The last sentence is certainly true, I never disputed that.

But during his goal drought between September and December (or November the 27 if you count the Blackburn game as a turning point; personally, I think the away game at Birmingham was more like that, he had a sustained period of good form after that) he was poor, there's no escaping that. And there was the second half of the season... though it would be harsh to condemn him for those performances, he barely ever played, not in important games anyway, FA Cup semi aside.

EricaNo7

Not to be nitpicking but if Berba hadn't played for us last season, we wouldn't have won our 19th title

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

It's true. People can laugh at you all they want but the fact of the matter is that Berbatov is right down the pecking order even after this supposed great season. The people that have levelled criticism at Berbatov, or his haters, as they are called, get proven right time and time again.

Siorac

Not to be nitpicking but if Berba hadn't played for us last season, we wouldn't have won our 19th title
Assuming, of course, that we wouldn't have had another striker in the squad instead of him.

EricaNo7

It's true. People can laugh at you all they want but the fact of the matter is that Berbatov is right down the pecking order even after this supposed great season. The people that have levelled criticism at Berbatov, or his haters, as they are called, get proven right time and time again.
Proven right in what way exactly ?

God he hardly plays for us now yet everyone still has time to have a go at him

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Proven right in what way exactly ?

God he hardly plays for us now yet everyone still has time to have a go at him
That he doesn't fit our style, he's inconsistent, can't be trusted in big games etc. I'd say that most of them have been proven to be true now. I said that once Welbeck returned, Berbatov would be 4th choice. People took the piss, but now look.

The only reason he's still here is as a back up for Rooney. We can't trust the likes of Welbeck and Hernandez at this early stage should Rooney get injured. That's Berbatovs new role in the squad.

Siorac

But we didn't though did we? Do you hate so much that you can't even praise him for his efforts in helping us get no.19?
Why do you assume I hate him? Jesus, why people are so sensitive over Berbatov?

I merely disputed a claim that he was "very effective" during the first half of last season. In my opinion, that is simply not true as he was in poor form throughout October, November (one excellent game aside) and most of December. That's it.

I don't hate him, I do admit his goals during his purple patches contributed massively to our title success.

KM

There's nobody sensitive over Berbatov, it's just that some here are too quick to criticize him for no reason.

Siorac

There's nobody sensitive over Berbatov, it's just that some here are too quick to criticize him for no reason.
And the sometimes unjust criticism made people overly sensitive. Which is understandable to an extent.

Lance Uppercut

And there are the usual suspects who criticise him for everything.

Varun

Staff
Berbatov can never win on this forum.

Win the golden boot- So what, You got your goal in bunches.

Have the most winners- So what, he was just going through a purple patch.

Led our attack with nani when rooney was having a howler- so what, we could have had another striker in the squad who'd have done the same.

Show great attitude and not make a fuss about being benched- Huh. this player lacks ambition.

Do the opposite- Has a poor mentality. not willing to play his role in the squad.

:houllier:

Lance Uppercut

Berbatov can never win on this forum.

Win the golden boot- So what, You got your goal in bunches.

Have the most winners- So what, he was just going through a purple patch.

Led our attack with nani when rooney was having a howler- so what, we could have had another striker in the squad who'd have done the same.

Show great attitude and not make a fuss about being benched- Huh. this player lacks ambition.

Do the opposite- Has a poor mentality. not willing to play his role in the squad.

:houllier:
You forgot how he is mean to his teammates because he shouts at them.

KM

And the sometimes unjust criticism made people overly sensitive. Which is understandable to an extent.
There is amazing hypocrisy by some here regarding Berbatov. Many people criticized last season for saying that he didn't distributed his goals well enough but yet same criticism isn't applied to Rooney this season who has(if we take away the 2 hat-tricks) scored 3 goals in 8 matches.

I know this logic sounds retarded, but that's what being said last season.

Then again, there's someone like Randall Fagg who hates Berbatov just because he thinks Tevez was forced out of the club because of him and sadly he wasn't the only the one in this retarded thinking their were many more.

soapythecat

Let the fella get match fit (hopefully) and a run of games under his belt before we lead him to the slaughter.

His performance when he came on yesterday was very frustrating but his confidence must be low and he is way off match fitness. Those silly passes he didn't make yesterday are passes he can play in his sleep if he is match fit. Give him game time.

Siorac

See, this is another myth that keeps popping up for some reason. Berbatov's worst run of form came when Rooney was out injured and his best performances were all with Rooney in the team, apart from the turnaround at Blackpool where he was brilliant and Rooney did have a howler and got taken off.

Siorac

There is amazing hypocrisy by some here regarding Berbatov. Many people criticized last season for saying that he didn't distributed his goals well enough but yet same criticism isn't applied to Rooney this season who has(if we take away the 2 hat-tricks) scored 3 goals in 8 matches.

I know this logic sounds retarded, but that's what being said last season.

Then again, there's someone like Randall Fagg who hates Berbatov just because he thinks Tevez was forced out of the club because of him and sadly he wasn't the only the one in this retarded thinking their were many more.
Rooney played three of those games in central midfield but I take your point.

The thing is, nobody says Rooney had a brilliant season in 2010/11, most people will agree that he produced consistently good performances from about February onwards but he was, at best, hit and miss before. At worst, he was downright awful. Why can't the same thing apply to Berbatov? Why people insist he had a brilliant SEASON?

Varun

Staff
See, this is another myth that keeps popping up for some reason. Berbatov's worst run of form came when Rooney was out injured and his best performances were all with Rooney in the team, apart from the turnaround at Blackpool where he was brilliant and Rooney did have a howler and got taken off.
I was referring to our start to the season and the 1st half of it when berba did the bulk of scoring. Not any single game. Rooney came to life around january when he regained his form. before that, he was hardly performing to great levels. thats the time berba was scoring goals and winning us matches. it aint a myth. had berba been off form till dec-jan, we'd have no chance of winning the league.

KM

Rooney played three of those games in central midfield but I take your point.

The thing is, nobody says Rooney had a brilliant season in 2010/11, most people will agree that he produced consistently good performances from about February onwards but he was, at best, hit and miss before. At worst, he was downright awful. Why can't the same thing apply to Berbatov? Why people insist he had a brilliant SEASON?
2 of those games, I was talking about league only.

Nobody is insisting that Berbatov has had a brilliant last SEASON. It's just an idea which is being form in your head.

Dyslexic Untied

I'd like to see Berbatov starting some games instead of Chicharito going forward.

With Rooney in midfield I think our striking partnership of Welbeck/Chicharito lack something. I think Welbeck -Berba could be a decent partnership, and Chicharito offers a lot more from the bench than Berba does.

MrK

I think you forgot to make a point relating to that image, Maciek ;)

For comparison, here's Hernandez corresponding diagram:

Neither of them tell us very much, except that maybe we didn't do a whole lot in an attacking sense in the last 20 mins of yesterdays game.

Adebesi

I'd like to see Berbatov starting some games instead of Chicharito going forward.

With Rooney in midfield I think our striking partnership of Welbeck/Chicharito lack something. I think Welbeck -Berba could be a decent partnership, and Chicharito offers a lot more from the bench than Berba does.
Swap Chicharito for Welbeck and I agree. Berbs and Chicharito have already demonstrated they are an effective partnership. And I would anticipate Welbeck would offer more than Berbs coming off the bench. I still think Chicharito has to be ahead of Welbeck in the pecking order.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I don't think advocating a player to be on the bench because they are better than Berbatov is such a great idea, particularly for team morale. Especially given that those two players are currently better than Berbatov from kick off as well.

Adebesi

I think Berbs is worth his place in the team. He might not have played very well recently but his confidence must be shot to pieces. In terms of ability he is up there, he complements Chicharito very well (and would Welbeck too) and with some games he would surely be the player he was last season.

In another thread there is a question of whether SAF can be criticised. This is an interesting case in point of that for me. I couldnt manage a kids sunday league team, so far be it for me to question SAF. But the way he has handled Berbs in the last 2 seasons leaves me utterly confused. All I can say is, maybe he just doesnt fit the style we play or whatever... fine, but SAF still has to carry the can for that because Berbs has always done what it says on his metaphorical tin. He hasnt changed since he arrived at Spurs. I cant understand how SAF pursued a player for so long only to be unable to fit him into the team. It baffles me.