Film Black Panther

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's going to be one of the first movies that centers black people (specifically Africans) that doesn't involve stereotypes, and doesn't portray Africa as destitute.
Plus he had one of the best Cameos in the last Avengers film.
Theres also Creed and Fruitvale Stations great reception and the fact that the director and star of that team up again for this. I'm hearing good things too now but have just seen some of the imdb user reviews.... Can't say I'm surprised. Film is being downvoted by racists.

I wanna know what happens with Michael B Jordan if Fantastic4 doesnt have a recasting and is added to MCU (which it looks like it will do sooner rather than later) - and of course, if hes not killed in this movie.
Apparently everyone likes him in this (comparisons to Loki), he's a great actor so I'm not surprised. I'm guessing this will be his prime role, if as you say,, he doesn't die....

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Theres also Creed and Fruitvale Stations great reception and the fact that the director and star of that team up again for this. I'm hearing good things too now but have just seen some of the imdb user reviews.... Can't say I'm surprised. Film is being downvoted by racists.
Yeah it's no surprise, they did a similar thing with "Dear White People" too, snowflakes eh?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Iron Man is Marvel's Batman. Literally. Billionaire with dead parents both of who's fathers head the very company they're now CEO of, with no super powers who builds his own suit to fight crime. Both with their sidekicks in Jarvis and Alfred. If you were to feature a holy trinity of Marvel in the same way that DC has Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman, Black Panther would not feature as part of it but Iron Man would probably appear in most.

Though that aside, this is looking like it's shaping up to be a great movie. The fact that there is no whitewashing is fantastic.
If you're interested in the geeky side of this stuff, you'll find BP and Batman often paired in a 'who would win' DC vs. Marvel on sites where people discuss that kind of thing because of how they pair off in terms of wealth, tactics, tech, fighting ability, non-use of guns etc. and mindset.

You're referring to the fame of the characters, and there's certainly no contest there, but you'll not hear Ironman referred to as Marvel's Batman as often as the likes of BP, NightHawk or Moon Knight.

I've not seen a single trailer for the film, so I'll be going into it blind. There's so much potential and I hope it's a cracker.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
If you're interested in the geeky side of this stuff, you'll find BP and Batman often paired in a 'who would win' DC vs. Marvel on sites where people discuss that kind of thing because of how they pair off in terms of wealth, tactics, tech, fighting ability, non-use of guns etc. and mindset.

You're referring to the fame of the characters, and there's certainly no contest there, but you'll not hear Ironman referred to as Marvel's Batman as often as the likes of BP, NightHawk or Moon Knight.

I've not seen a single trailer for the film, so I'll be going into it blind. There's so much potential and I hope it's a cracker.
Fair enough, I'll have to agree to disagree there. I'm referring partly to the fame, but also to the striking similarities between the two. They share more in common than Black Panther/Iron Man. Batman vs Iron Man is also done to death in the who would win fights and I hear so many people comparing Iron Man to Batman as heroes and quick Google searches often cite a few Black Panther references but mostly Iron Man. To the Hulkbuster armour to the Batman Mech suit. You can draw parralels with other heroes, but Iron Man looks almost certainly intended to draw inspiration from Batman who was printed 30 years earlier. From the origins, to the similarity between Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne personas and the other similarities that I listed earler with their corporations, fathers, sidekicks, wealth and lack of super powers, making a technological solution to every problem, always having a plan to outsmart the opponent. Black Panther only really shares a similar looking suit and color pallette to Batman alongside the technology which Iron Man also uses, and martial arts. Plus Black Panther's origin story is unique and doesn't really share any correlation with Batman's where as Iron Man's is almost identical.

GBBQ

I wanna know what happens with Michael B Jordan if Fantastic4 doesnt have a recasting and is added to MCU (which it looks like it will do sooner rather than later) - and of course, if hes not killed in this movie.
I think its safe to assume that Fantastic 4 will be recast and rebooted.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Yeah it's no surprise, they did a similar thing with "Dear White People" too, snowflakes eh?
To be fair, I think lots of the ire against that movie was the fact that Huge swathes of black people didn't even realise that it was satire.

Voting against something on principle is ridiculous. Voting for it while missing the point is also ridiculous.

Ducklegs

Its a big deal cos of their track record. They havent really had any bombs (though Iron Man3 could be seen as one but im sure it raked it a lot of money regardless).

Oooh great list. I remember Spawn being a fantastic movie when I was a kid. Wonder what its like on rewatch value.

What are you smoking fam?

Iron man 3 had a $1.25 billion global box office take.

Some bomb considering it made more than the first two films combined.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
To be fair, I think lots of the ire against that movie was the fact that Huge swathes of black people didn't even realise that it was satire.

Voting against something on principle is ridiculous. Voting for it while missing the point is also ridiculous.
I was talking about the TV Show, not the movie - at the time the movie was indie (from Sundance I believe) that made it to the big screens in America and only a select cinemas in the UK, it didn't have any where near the impact or audience to even garner a social media response.

The Netflix TV Show last year was piled on from Alt-Right and r/The_Donald purely because of the name, this is broadly the same thing that is happening with Black Panther.
I'm not sure where you figured that swathes of black people didn't realise DWP was satire, anyone who saw the trailer would've figured it out within maybe 20 seconds.

Sylar

Read my whole post again. Its not that hard ;)

afrocentricity

I was talking about the TV Show, not the movie - at the time the movie was indie (from Sundance I believe) that made it to the big screens in America and only a select cinemas in the UK, it didn't have any where near the impact or audience to even garner a social media response.

The Netflix TV Show last year was piled on from Alt-Right and r/The_Donald purely because of the name, this is broadly the same thing that is happening with Black Panther.
I'm not sure where you figured that swathes of black people didn't realise DWP was satire, anyone who saw the trailer would've figured it out within maybe 20 seconds.
If you've seen it its quite clearly satire, that goes for both. Unless you you think black people are a bit dense...

The film itself is bad tho, I'm guessing that's what they were talking about? I'd actually add the 2nd Thor to that list too. I have no urge to watch either again and that's telling, for me.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
As someone who has watched Iron Man 3 and the second Thor more than once I can confirm that they are both actual bad movies with few redeeming qualities.

UnrelatedPsuedo

If you've seen it its quite clearly satire, that goes for both. Unless you you think black people are a bit dense...
Easy there.

My point was quite clearly;

Some daft Racist white people oddly protest or get offended at all black movies.

Some daft racist black people gleefully revelled in the movie completely oblivious to the fact that that kind of reaction was the polar opposite of the point the film made.

Stupid people come in every colour mate.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Let's be honest, the kind of people that didn't realise it was satire are exactly the same kind of people that post on The Donald.

'Large Swathes of people' isn't even vaguely suggesting at a majority.

As above, Stupid people come in every colour.

Sylar

The film itself is bad tho, I'm guessing that's what they were talking about? I'd actually add the 2nd Thor to that list too. I have no urge to watch either again and that's telling, for me.
Correct. A movie can be a hit in box office but still bomb critically. I think MCU has a few duds but that really is few.

Apparently everyone likes him in this (comparisons to Loki), he's a great actor so I'm not surprised. I'm guessing this will be his prime role, if as you say,, he doesn't die....
Agreed, I think hes a great actor. Still funny that hes the lil dude from Wire.

I think its safe to assume that Fantastic 4 will be recast and rebooted.
Would be kinda a shame cos I thought the cast was actually... fantastic. The script let them down.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Let's be honest, the kind of people that didn't realise it was satire are exactly the same kind of people that post on The Donald.

'Large Swathes of people' isn't even vaguely suggesting at a majority.

As above, Stupid people come in every colour.
You're suggesting there was large swathes of black people who were looking forward to DWP being some racist depiction?

I saw black people rejoicing at a different perspective being painted on the screen that helped illustrate the commentary around race and other social issues - but I don't remember there being any racist intent.
I'd be keen to see where this happened.

afrocentricity

Easy there.

My point was quite clearly;

Some daft Racist white people oddly protest or get offended at all black movies.

Some daft racist black people gleefully revelled in the movie completely oblivious to the fact that that kind of reaction was the polar opposite of the point the film made.

Stupid people come in every colour mate.
Wasn't digging you out, just unaware of what you say. I never saw any of that, where did you see it?

Agreed, I think hes a great actor. Still funny that hes the lil dude from Wire.
Yea, the wire was full of great actors. Even the non actors that literally had zero experience played their roles well. I think it'll be time for another viewing soon its can a while :drool:

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Early reviews are saying believe the hype.

Drifter

American
Some very sad DC fans are planning on sabotaging the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

bucky

This movie is expected to make $130-140m opening weekend. That is staggering.
Girls Trip surprised people last year, as well. As if representation isn't important and can lead to commercial success. But you need a white lead to be commercially succesful or something (Scarlett Johansson, Ghost in the Shell).

Sylar

Im quite hyped for this. Not to mention its the last marvel movie before infinity wars. Madness.

Andersons Dietician

Movie / big screen.
As I said before I wouldnt consider Blade due to its rating.
Guessing you mean as a stand alone lead but black superheroes, Falcon, Warmachine are in the Marvel films. If you’re including tv shows then Luke Cage and Black Lightening. But if you mean lead in a film then yeah Blade is really the only one I can think of. Deadshot is kinda a lead character in suicide squad.

@afrocentricity Fruitvale station was an amazing film, B.Jordan was also excelllent in it.
On that down voting I saw a post that DC fans who beleive Disney sabotaged Justice league and other films by swaying public perception or something and paying off reviewers are boycotting or are trying to do the same thing by down voting it or putting out critical reviews. I mean it sounds absoulutly bonkers but then Trump is the president of the United States sooo.....

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Dear White People was bloomin' excellent too... more people need to watch it.

I can't wait for this film, Creed and Fruitvale were brilliant, and I can't see how this won't match that.

UnrelatedPsuedo

You're suggesting there was large swathes of black people who were looking forward to DWP being some racist depiction?

I saw black people rejoicing at a different perspective being painted on the screen that helped illustrate the commentary around race and other social issues - but I don't remember there being any racist intent.
I'd be keen to see where this happened.
You don't believe that there was a whole demographic of people (not a RACE of people) that didn't realise that DWP was taking the piss out of white and black people very even handedly?

There's possibly some unfairness on my part as major reputable news and entertainment review sites obviously played a straight bat. But the ridiculous polar opposite of 'The Donald' type blogs, sites and accounts clearly missed the point entirely.

Which was my point.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
You don't believe that there was a whole demographic of people (not a RACE of people) that didn't realise that DWP was taking the piss out of white and black people very even handedly?

There's possibly some unfairness on my part as major reputable news and entertainment review sites obviously played a straight bat. But the ridiculous polar opposite of 'The Donald' type blogs, sites and accounts clearly missed the point entirely.

Which was my point.
See, now I'm confused.
Your original quote was: "the fact that Huge swathes of black people didn't even realise that it was satire" you then said "Let's be honest, the kind of people that didn't realise it was satire are exactly the same kind of people that post on The Donald"

Conflating the people who post on The Donald to black people who didn't realise DWP was satirical, which is why I was confused and I still am.
And you quite clearly pointed out black people in your original point too.

Yes of course there are going to be people who don't understand the relevant tone of everything - you only need to look at people (of all races) who don't understand The Chappelle Show, or Chris Rock standup's for example - I fail to see how that compares with the likes who post on The Donald though.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I just don't get your point.