Film Black Panther

Sylar

Loool
They explain where vibranium comes from right at the beginning of the movie

Untied

Hmm. I did enjoy it a lot. It's maybe my favourite Marvel film since Iron Man. I don't think the character building is as good at Guardians of the Galaxy, but it's feels so different from the Marvel canon that it utterly overcomes the super-hero fatigue that even GotG made me feel.

HOWEVER…

It's still a Marvel movie. The plot is thin for the length, and takes a long time to get going. And it still has the problem that all Marvel movies have: no one can really change or grow that radically because they have to be ready for the next film

The plot is trying to hit similar beats to Iron Man, but is far less successful.

The idea is that through the events of this film T'Challa is motivated to make Wakanda less secretive. But his personal belief in this secrecy isn't well established at the start and so the character change feels very minor. As opposed to e.g. Iron Man (who started the film as an arms dealer and ends the film as an alternative energy proponent and superhero).

This film takes over 2 hours to get us from 'a new king takes the throne and will possibly make changes to the way Wakanda interacts with the wider world' to 'a new king takes the throne and starts making changes to the way Wakanda interacts with the wider world'.

It's a wheel-spinning movie. A lot of stuff happens to leave us more or less where we started.

Parma Dewol

I'm not normally one for the Marvel movies, but I had free tickets to see Black Panther yesterday. Didn't really fancy going but the wife wanted to use the tickets so I went along with ultra-low expectations and, to my pleasant surprise, quite enjoyed it.

Sounds obvious, but there's a really cool black vibe throughout the film that's well done and, even in this day and age, quite rare to see on the big screen. Really good cast and though the story is somewhat flaky there are some underlying messages that are relevant. I didn't find the humour elements particularly funny, but then most of the cinema was laughing out loud, so maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.

Marksy7

Seen it Tuesday night and really enjoyed it. I thought the pace dropped off at times but the characters are fantastic and story does well as a kind of origin of the black panther

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Gonna see it on saturday. Wasnt very hyped originally, but then I saw Martin Freeman in the trailer.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I heard the African accents are pretty bad.

I can accept that though, my african accent is pretty bad too tbh.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Coming to America bad/good?
The feedback I got was 'amateurish' and 'laughable', and that sounds similar to Coming To America.

Then again, if their accents were full on Nollywood - I would actually die laughing too, so maybe it's a good compromise.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The feedback I got was 'amateurish' and 'laughable', and that sounds similar to Coming To America.

Then again, if their accents were full on Nollywood - I would actually die laughing too, so maybe it's a good compromise.
Fair enough I'm hyped regardless, you going to see it soon?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I want to see this film so much, I'm not even going to wait until buy one get one free Tuesday/Wednesday and will see it this weekend instead.

Madness I tell you.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Fair enough I'm hyped regardless, you going to see it soon?
Tomorrow night after work, I've got the middle seat right at the back of the theatre with recliners and comfy seats.:drool:

I'm debating seeing it with some of my friends on Monday too, they're all dressing up in kente/agbada etc :lol:

When are you seeing it?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Woah woah woah... there's nothing "bad" about Cool Runnings...

Nothing.
Nope sorry, can't agree.

Cool Runnings is actually pretty average borderline bad, it just has lots of nostalgia attached to it.
Coming To America beats it unanimously.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Nope sorry, can't agree.

Cool Runnings is actually pretty average borderline bad, it just has lots of nostalgia attached to it.
Obviously, it has Darth Vader in it..

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He's always the token black guy though.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Nope sorry, can't agree.

Nonsense! Now my mind may be clouded considering it's probably the film I've seen the most in life... but its a bloomin' magical film. It's uplifting, it's very funny, its based on sports, it's about being the "other" (which I related to as a child - if not still) and its got a wonderful, emotional ending...

Oh and John Candy.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Nonsense! Now my mind may be clouded considering it's probably the film I've seen the most in life... but its a bloomin' magical film. It's uplifting, it's very funny, its based on sports, it's about being the "other" (which I related to as a child - if not still) and its got a wonderful, emotional ending...

Oh and John Candy.
It certainly has good points, but it is almost a childish film with no real depth, poor characters & plot, and only shallow humour.
But I mean, when I was 8 it felt like the best film ever, so I can see why it's so popular :lol:

Kapardin

Booked tickets for Saturday. All I expect to see is some wham-bam action with special effects in a superhero film, and I will be fairly entertained.

Jordan looks like a fairly good villain from the trailers from his body language which suggests some good acting, or what little can be seen from it. I am not too interested in the lead, typical one-dimensional superhero.

Sylar

Also im tempted to lie, but there are 2 post credit scenes (one mid way and one at the end)
The mid-one looks like something that was in the trailer. Wonder if it was always intended to be in the post-credit.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Which in itself makes little sense as it is an imaginary African country. African accent comes in numerous forms obviously
Yeah but then you can ask the question why Thor has a RP accent if he's a Norse God, or Korg's Kiwi accent.

If you're gonna do an accent at least do it well, but again it's not too much of a slight on the movie i'm sure.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Tomorrow night after work, I've got the middle seat right at the back of the theatre with recliners and comfy seats.:drool:

I'm debating seeing it with some of my friends on Monday too, they're all dressing up in kente/agbada etc :lol:

When are you seeing it?
I'll be going as soon as I get a chance, let us know what you think.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah but then you can ask the question why Thor has a RP accent if he's a Norse God, or Korg's Kiwi accent.

If you're gonna do an accent at least do it well, but again it's not too much of a slight on the movie i'm sure.
Maybe Thor's accept is bad alone but several actors of this movie are getting criticized for their bad accents. It makes little sense to me.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Amadeus: Mozart and his wife were Americans, apparently, but it didn't spoil the film.

arthurka

Man this was a new version of the Lion King ... Disney rehashing old material..

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

Agreed, Thor and the rest of the Norse gods should talk with a Norwegian accent.

Not that anyone would recognize it, but still it is the least the could do after they've stolen our ancient faith and made it into a movie franchise.

cyberman

I understand the entire celebrate Africa angle but are there actual Africans featured in prominent roles in this movie?
I'm not being ignorant since I really don't know. I understand ancestory etc but actual African actors?
I'm Irish and it would annoy me if America celebrated releasing a milestone Irish movie that had very little to do with our movie industry or used American actors who had Irish great grandparents instead of Irish talent. It would feel a little opportunistic to me.
How is this movie perceived in Africa itself?

Sweet Square

I understand the entire celebrate Africa angle but are there actual Africans featured in prominent roles in this movie?
I'm not being ignorant since I really don't know. I understand ancestory etc but actual African actors?
I'm Irish and it would annoy me if America celebrated releasing a milestone Irish movie that had very little to do with our movie industry or used American actors who had Irish great grandparents instead of Irish talent. It would feel a little opportunistic to me.
How is this movie perceived in Africa itself?
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/10/africa/buzz-around-black-panther-in-africa/index.html

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Really enjoyed it. Different pace & tone compared to Thor Ragnarok & Guardians 2 but still fun & a solid story. Only complaint was that it’s a little predictable in some of the scenes.

Marvel’s strong run of films continues.