Film Black Panther

Code-CX

Thought it was pretty good tbh. Up there with The Winter Soldier and Ironman as my favorite Marvel movies.

Most of the cast did an excellent job and Michael B. Jordan is probably the best onscreen villain Marvel has had so far.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
@Sweet Square
Ah very good. I tried a search and it only gave details about family roots rather than what I was looking for.
Being Irish like yourself whenever I hear about Big Hollywood movies talk about celebrating a certain country(Or in the case of Black Panther a whole continent)I automatically expect it to be a bit lazy and completely seen through a american lens(Plus the bad accents). But it seems with Black Panther there has be a good amount of effort put in.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Have to be contrarian here. Thought it was incredibly underwhelming. Almost rubbish in fact.

Rubbish is a strong word. Acting is good, it's all solid, but tbh I checked my watch 3 times. This is the most preposterously over rated movie in a long time. For one, the villain was awful. Michael B. Jordan, great actor, and he lived up to that billing. But the best thing I could say about his character was that he had a cool haircut. He basically did sweet FA. Honestly, this movie was pretty f***ing boring, and way too long. The longer it went on the more formulaic it got.

I guess I'm just not a huge comic book movie guy, but I have enjoyed a few very much. Loved Ragnarok, loved Deadpool. But this was just.....meh. I wouldn't care to watch it again.

As an aside, the lead female actor- Lupita Nyong’o is insanely gorgeous, and the soundtrack was cool.

6.5/10.

Edit: The more I read back over this thread and see the great reviews, the more I wonder wtf I missed. For about the last 30 minutes I just wanted this to end. Everything about it was just a rehash of everything we've seen before. Hugely forgettable. The scenery and acting was great, but the plot was so predictable. There wasn't a single surprising moment in the whole film, nor a moment of great emotive strength or spine tingling action. Solid is the best i can come up with. Truly. Wanted to love it. But I just don't get it. I nearly walked out 15 minutes before the end because I realised I had something from work I needed to finish. Everything I would've missed, was exactly what I predicted I'd miss in that moment.

I don't want to have a drag out hate on the film. It's been quite moving to see the mobilization of black culture in this country to support the film (I live in the US). So I think, even if the movie is objectively bang average. I just have to step back and let that wave of pride surge on, because it's a beautiful thing.

Last edited:

Water Melon

Have to be contrarian here. Thought it was incredibly underwhelming. Almost rubbish in fact.

Rubbish is a strong word. Acting is good, it's all solid, but tbh I checked my watch 3 times. This is the most preposterously over rated movie in a long time. For one, the villain was awful. Michael B. Jordan, great actor, and he lived up to that billing. But the best thing I could say about his character was that he had a cool haircut. He basically did sweet FA. Honestly, this movie was pretty f***ing boring, and way too long. The longer it went on the more formulaic it got.

I guess I'm just not a huge comic book movie guy, but I have enjoyed a few very much. Loved Ragnarok, loved Deadpool. But this was just.....meh. I wouldn't care to watch it again.

As an aside, the lead female actor was insanely gorgeous, and the soundtrack was cool.

6.5/10.
So, basically, it is just "would bang again if was really desperate and both left and right hands unavailable"?

Varun

Staff

As an aside, the lead female actor- Lupita Nyong’o is insanely gorgeous, and the soundtrack was cool.

6.5/10.

Edit: The more I read back over this thread and see the great reviews, the more I wonder wtf I missed. For about the last 30 minutes I just wanted this to end. Everything about it was just a rehash of everything we've seen before. Hugely forgettable. The scenery and acting was great, but the plot was so predictable. There wasn't a single surprising moment in the whole film, nor a moment of great emotive strength or spine tingling action. Solid is the best i can come up with. Truly. Wanted to love it. But I just don't get it. I nearly walked out 15 minutes before the end because I realised I had something from work I needed to finish. Everything I would've missed, was exactly what I predicted I'd miss in that moment.

I don't want to have a drag out hate on the film. It's been quite moving to see the mobilization of black culture in this country to support the film (I live in the US). So I think, even if the movie is objectively bang average. I just have to step back and let that wave of pride surge on, because it's a beautiful thing.
Solid is probably an apt way to put it. Wasn't let down by anything but wasn't wowed by anything either. Predictable and solid is how I'd rate it which isn't bad but then isn't that great either.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yeah another one for solid here. Enjoyed it in the main apart from a few too many cgi fight scenes. Great soundtrack, engaging cast and probably on a par with winter soldier which I also think is one of the better marvel entries.

I'd still have Ragnorok, Guardians and Deadpool ahead though purely for the comedy factor.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Solid is probably an apt way to put it. Wasn't let down by anything but wasn't wowed by anything either. Predictable and solid is how I'd rate it which isn't bad but then isn't that great either.
That's a bit disappointing. Booked tickets for tomorrow and was pretty excited based on the hype.

Drifter

American
Best of all the Marvel movies for me (Until maybe Infinity Wars). Ryan Coogler as done it again three out of three and only 31 .

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I need to get her my thoughts coherently, I was speechless last night and I’m speechless even after waking up.

The impact this film is going to have on future generations is yet to be seen.

All I know is if I saw that film as a kid growing up, telling everyone I’m from Africa and being mocked for it.... I probably wouldn’t have felt insecure, or ashamed of it - I probably wouldn’t have had to learn to love who I am and where I came from.
It probably sounds silly but, representation matters - I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw black women being portrayed as smart, funny, strong, caring, love interests and not stereotypes on such a big stage.

It matters so much, great film

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
For one, the villain was awful.
I must say I completely disagree on this point. Think he was a great villain with excellent motivations. What I will say though is that after reflecting on the plot
the first three quarters of the movie seem largely superfluous if you consider his plan was to simply kill Andy Serkis and drop him off in Wakanda.

Varun

Staff
Nice. I'm excited for this despite thinking Marvel movies tend to be overrated by the hype machine.
My high expectations could have played a part tbh. I absolutely love black panther's small cameo in the Avengers movie and was waiting since then for a movie based on him.
I must say I completely disagree on this point. Think he was a great villain with excellent motivations. What I will say though is that after reflecting on the plot
the first three quarters of the movie seem largely superfluous if you consider his plan was to simply kill Andy Serkis and drop him off in Wakanda.
Yeah, I liked the villain too.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I need to get her my thoughts coherently, I was speechless last night and I’m speechless even after waking up.

All I know is if I saw that film as a kid growing up, telling everyone I’m from Africa and being mocked for it.... I probably wouldn’t have felt insecure, or ashamed of it - I probably wouldn’t have had to learn to love who I am and where I came from.
It probably sounds silly but, representation matters - I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw black women being portrayed as smart, funny, strong, caring, love interests and not stereotypes on such a big stage.

Great, I'll be bringing the kids.

The Hilton

Was expecting a lot more based on the hype. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine popcorn movie, and Wakanda was a cool concept and handled well, but the plot barely made sense, the accents were all over the place (including Martin Freeman), and I thought the fight scenes were terrible - just a mess of CGI and angle switching.

The South African bad guy was wasted too, he was far more sinister than the whiny cousin

Andrew~

:rolleyes:

I'm African, disagree completely. People out here acting like this is like Obama getting elected.

It's just a shitty Marvel film with black people in it - perspective is needed.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Sway it yesterday...enjoyed it.
Didn't realise there was a post credit scene.
Feck sake.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think the movie should be judged on its own merits (It is a good film).
As an African, I feel uncomfortable with racial undertones being brought into it.
I can't see how the movie is a game changer.
There are several black actors whose starring role guarantees a big box office.
So it's not likely to encourage more superhero films with ethnic minorities as lead characters.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I thought it was really, really good. Perhaps its not quite at the level of Avengers 1 or Winter Soldier, however it was a very good fleshing out of the character. Can't say intro because we know T'Challa from Captain America 3.

It’s a film anyone can enjoy. In the same way anyone can enjoy King Arthur. It’s sci-fi/comic fantasy about a kingdom, which just happens to be set in Africa.

For me, personally, I thought it was a healthy part of normalising Black people. Often Hollywood dwells on the worst part of the Black experience: slavery, colonialism etc. It was nice to see a film where more positive stuff took centre stage, and not at the expense of a solid narrative and well paced action. Also I don’t think you need to be part of the Black diaspora, like myself, to get Killmonger. Hence it helps the antoaginst not to come across as 1D.

I particularly liked Okoye and Shuri. Will happily see the movie again.

The Bloody-Nine

I thought it was really, really good. Perhaps its not quite at the level of Avengers 1 or Winter Soldier, however it was a very good fleshing out of the character. Can't say intro because we know T'Challa from Captain America 3.

It’s a film anyone can enjoy. In the same way anyone can enjoy King Arthur. It’s sci-fi/comic fantasy about a kingdom, which just happens to be set in Africa.

For me, personally, I thought it was a healthy part of normalising Black people. Often Hollywood dwells on the worst part of the Black experience: slavery, colonialism etc. It was nice to see a film where more positive stuff took centre stage, and not at the expense of a solid narrative and well paced action. Also I don’t think you need to be part of the Black diaspora, like myself, to get Killmonger. Hence it helps the antoaginst not to come across as 1D.

I particularly liked Okoye and Shuri. Will happily see the movie again.
Do you capitalize the 'w' in white?

The Bloody-Nine

In that context, when referring to a race, how can it not be? Its not like I'm referring to black coffee.
Well, a quick google tells me this:

'According to CMS, when referring to racial categories, use whites or white people, blacks or black people, both of which are written in lower case.'

No big deal, it just stood out to me when reading your initial post.

The Bloody-Nine

Most journalism-related style guides, like those of the Associated Press and New York Times, call for putting both “white” and “black” in all lowercase letters. Others, like The Chicago Manual of Style, allow capitalization if an author or publication prefers to do so. Dictionaries also allow both capitalization and lowercase versions. In other words, it’s fielder’s choice whether to capitalize “black” and “white” or not.
https://www.cjr.org/analysis/language_corner_1.php

I don't do it, looks weird to me.