Bouhafsi: Martial wants to leave United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

Of course it's comparable. The whole point of my point of my post was showing how similar the situations are. Lukaku didn't leave Chelsea because they loaned him out, he was happy to go on loan, loans = games = development. He wanted to leave because Mourinho signed older players to play in his place. Similar to how Martial wants to leave because Mourinho has signed Sanchez to play in his place.

And let's stop with this myth that he can't handle competition. Competition is exactly what Martial had with Rashford at the start of the season. Rashford was the starter and Martial was on the bench. But did he sulk and cry like his attitude obsessed critics like to pretend he does? No. He was given a fair amount of opportunities, proved he was the better player and forced his way into the team. But ever since we signed Sanchez his opportunities have been a joke, 6 starts in 21 games, two of which were in a position he had almost no experience in, all scattered at random with no consecutive games... vs Sanchez who started 11 consecutive games while contributing almost nothing after we signed him. It's delusional to consider that 'competing for places', it's one player being given preferential treatment over another, which is exactly the sort of unfairness that De Bruyne cited as the reason for why he left Chelsea.

Mourinho has an extremely notable pattern for disregarding talented young players, Martial (and Shaw since you bring it up) are just the latest examples.
They won’t understand your sense lad. They’ll tell you how many games he played. I’m sure De Bruyne could have got the same amount of minutes if he stayed at Chelsea too.. but from his own words he didn’t understand why he was dropped and decided to leave. Sounded stupid at the time but who’s stupid now.

Kemizee

Will be a blessing in disguise for us, if somebody is stupid enough to buy into the hype of such a one trick pony and give us big ££ so we can get a right sided player to improve the teams balance and consistent quality. There's a reason also rans like Spurs and Dortmund are the suitors.
My thoughts as well. Good player but has the body language that just screams "I don"t really give a feck".

Another one I don't care if he leaves or not is Rashford. Runs a lot and often times stupidly without purpose. Both of them are so overrated and if anyone offered decent money for then both, I would gladly take and spend the money on consistent players who are not hit and miss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainoldo

Wow I never thought of it that way, you've really opened my eyes, thanks for football fandom lesson.

Guess I was wrong to root against Liverpool in the CL final...Now I have seen the folly of my ways...
But you rooted for Real Madrid meaning you backed a team and wanted to see Ronaldo extra play well. If you kept the same energy you wouldn’t have bothered watching the match at all, neither are Manchester United and ‘real’ United Fans hate both Liverpool and Madrid. Why just Liverpool, Madrid constantly try and take our players at their peak! You back that?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Literally every media outlet describes the mother of his children as his wife, whom he cheated on with a girl from x factor. You can't blame people for not knowing that she wasn't.
They call her that cause she put Martial as her last name on Instagram. They were not married. She was his girlfriend. And even when stories were circulating, Martial was in regular contact with his daughter. Anyone that followed him on social media would know.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Pogba was injured for over a month and still has 600 minutes more played in the league. You talk about playing time in the sentence before, then go into appearances in the next. There's a difference between the two.
Nonsense. There is no one who will convince me Martial's playing time at United was small last season. Its not like he kept being subbed by half time when started games or was only giving injury time every single time he came on as a sub. Martial played more for us last season than the likes of Asencio at Real did at their club. Yet he is in the same bracket of player.

Furthermore anyone who thinks we should should have passed up the chance to sign the world class Alexis just to molly coddle Martial is just a fanboish moron. There is a gaping hole on the right of our attack currently and frankly there is no good reason why a right footer like Martial as young as he is, cant also be effective there and simply make the role his own. So the "lack of playing time' is a lousy excuse and just like with Rashford, its their fault that it exists in the first place.

GM K

Done feck all for 6 months, been paid handsomely for it and then been offered a new contract with a higher salary. In what other career can you get away with that? Wish I was subject to some of that 'abuse'.
:lol:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Martial HASN'T said a thing still. All we ever hear from is his agent. Giving me every reason to be suspicious of the motives
Well his agent speaking about him wanting to leave is basically the same thing.

He doesn't want a new deal, he wants to leave.

Noc-Z

ffs
I'd let him go, no problem. He is a striker, but not yet a top one, so doesn't deserve to be a starter. Lukaku is the number 9, no question. I know he's played mostly on the wing, but I don't see him as an effective winger at all. He could maybe be a top striker one day, but we don't have the luxury of patience at the moment unfortunately, we need goals right now.

He, along with many others, represent a period of complete under achievement at this club. He seems to be one of the guys that thinks once they have signed for Manchester United they have made it. I think there's a mentality that they think "I've made it, I'm at a successful club". Well, no, it was a successful club, but you now have to step up to maintain that. And Martial along with MANY others, have not stepped up. Signing for Manchester United is not the end of your journey, it's just the start. I see zero hunger to win in the guy.

iKeano

The José rot continues.

Would rather keep the sulky Frenchman with bags of potential than the grumpy Portugese and his army of 30 year olds.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
But you rooted for Real Madrid meaning you backed a team and wanted to see Ronaldo extra play well. If you kept the same energy you wouldn’t have bothered watching the match at all, neither are Manchester United and ‘real’ United Fans hate both Liverpool and Madrid. Why just Liverpool, Madrid constantly try and take our players at their peak! You back that?
I genuinely have no idea how you got to this point off my original comment that "I hope this isn't KDB mk2"

Such a random thing for this OTT gatekeeping

Honestly, do you think Chelsea fans are happy that KDB went on to become a world class player for a rival? Or do you think that those who are not ecstatic with that development are bad fans?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Ok let me just say Lukaku, De Bruyne and Salah. Then I think you will understand how frustrated we are.
I was a little disappointed in Lukaku going, less so for De Bruyne and didn't give a single shit about Salah.

There's people in this thread who seen genuinely angry, as if it was De Gea looking to leave.

Dyslexic Untied

It's hard not to feel sorry for the rich, popular and right footed attacking footballer being asked to play games on the right side of attack. Just like I feel for our even richer and more popular central midfielder who sometimes has been asked to play in a central midfield two.

Agree with the sentiments expressed by others in this thread in that we do seem to have a sulky bunch at times.

Mainoldo

I genuinely have no idea how you got to this point off my original comment that "I hope this isn't KDB mk2"

Such a random thing for this OTT gatekeeping

Honestly, do you think Chelsea fans are happy that KDB went on to become a world class player for a rival? Or do you think that those who are not ecstatic with that development are bad fans?
They are unhappy that they never kept him and watched him do that for them. I find it hard to believe they are upset he managed to forfill his potential. What difference does that make to them? Which is my point. Same for Mo Salah.

Ubermensch

Why are people bringing up lingard and herrera's response to competitionas a stick to beat martial with? Lingard and herrera have face FAIR competition, namely if x is underperfoming there is a fair chance that I will be put into the team after a while. Conversely, if I am performing then my spot is safe. (You can bring up herrera losing his spot this season after winning POTY but that was due to tactical reasons)

Martial on the other hand hasn't had fair competition with sanchez. When he had fair competition with Rashford, he pulled his socks up, didn't complain and won he pis spot back. Against sanchez, there seems to be nothing martial can do to regain his spot and there is no assurance that sanchez can ever be dropped. Consequently, he is playing against a stacked deck. That is not FAIR competition.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
For comparison Rashford is younger, is an ex academy player, broke through in pretty much the same way as Martial (even looked more impressive at the beginning because He couldn't stop scoring after breaking into the scene), also capable of playing on the left or as a striker. Have you ever heard Rashford bitching? nope. Even after We bought Sanchez and He's pretty much the third choice He didn't complain.

I've seen several Rashford interviews and He always talked about positive stuffs - He has to improve, the team have to improve, etc. Maybe He actually realizes He still plays bad from time to time. Martial, I agree He's really good with dribbling in tight spaces but if He can't spot his flaws or doesn't realize He's not consistent enough to be starting every games and feels like He's entitled to be playing all games then He can leave.

"But the club bought Sanchez" is not a valid excuse if you're a professional football player. It's like your company hires someone with a better CV than you and you start bitching instead of just getting on with it and do your job or show your worth if you really think you're as good if not better than the guy.

It's not like Martial started 5 games last season either. I would blame Jose partly because in several games, Martial could have been a better option in LW than playing off-form Sanchez there but let's not put a blinder here... the thing is Martial is also at fault. I haven't seen a lot of improvement from him either, He's still as inconsistent as ever.

Come on now, a player goes, We move on and find better or equal replacement as We've done time and time again (aside from Ronaldo). Don't know what's the fuss all about, this guy is hardly Ronaldo or Beckham.

Stacks

Sanchez' reputation in the league warranted some faith despite a poor run of games. It was vindicated in fact when Mourinho trusted him over Martial vs Spurs in the Semi Final and he was the standout player of the match.

Martial's reaction is a bit disappointing in my opinion. He's 22 years old and doesn't want to fight for his place at Manchester United against a 29 year old with a shorter shelf life. He can go to a lesser league via Juventus but it would be a bit of a flight attitude rather than fight.
I hear that but at the end of the day they are competing professionals. If a guy who looks worse than you is starting ahead of you, why would your age matter? Sanchez had few stand out performances and contributed little in 5 whole months. United isn't a charity. Martial probably listened to Jose's comments about why he doesn't stick with MArtial and Rashford (Brighton) so he would get the message. I'd be the same, when my manager drops me while I am player of the month, I then watch a next dude play poorly with every opportunity given to him and keep me out. I then get a start, don't take it and the manager seems like "I told you so". Martial obviously knows he won't get a fair crack and is up against it as the gaffer prefers someone else. its not just down to him. P.S. he is at an age where he could be going to World Cups and he isn't as he hasn't been played enough. Probably feels the writing is on the wall

Santoryo

ripping the reward
So we've already started with the character assassination. Some of of lots are downright pathetic. And yes you deserve to be called on that if you're gonna make bs up to justify wanting a player to leave.

GM K

I'd let him go, no problem. He is a striker, but not yet a top one, so doesn't deserve to be a starter. Lukaku is the number 9, no question. I know he's played mostly on the wing, but I don't see him as an effective winger at all. He could maybe be a top striker one day, but we don't have the luxury of patience at the moment unfortunately, we need goals right now.

He, along with many others, represent a period of complete under achievement at this club. He seems to be one of the guys that thinks once they have signed for Manchester United they have made it. I think there's a mentality that they think "I've made it, I'm at a successful club". Well, no, it was a successful club, but you now have to step up to maintain that. And Martial along with MANY others, have not stepped up. Signing for Manchester United is not the end of your journey, it's just the start. I see zero hunger to win in the guy.

Some good points you have there.

The thing is Martial came when we were seriously under par and he became the star in the team. Young, talented kid leading Manchester United's frontline. That was a big deal but people and maybe Martial himself, forgot it was a struggling United team.
I suspect things became a bit tricky for him once he put on that 'leader of the line' toga in his second season and bigger stars were brought in who came with big egos - especially Zlatan who was even given his shirt number. Forced to give up his number, forced to yield leadership, forced to rotate from the bench, criticized by a straight shooting manager, it seemed it was inevitable that Martial would lose his joy at United. He's a talented kid no doubt and we can't entirely blame him for everything but the it just so happens in football that there are times when some players just don't fit in well with a team or manager.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Some in here seem really clueless about management when talking about Martial. Apparently, you have to play a player just because he played well because he's in form (is this FIFA or something?).

If you go by who is in form you'll be swapping out several players every few games, which means you'll never put a run together.

Team selection is based on the profile of the player that fulfils a tactical vision. This is why top managers insist on playing a core set of players every game. Martial effectively plays as a left sided striker for us, in most games he has played he has lowered defensive responsibility while the opposite winger has a greater amount of defensive responsibility and is always tracking back (Mata and Lingard).

Its very difficult to play with a central striker and an off centre left sided striker. It puts a huge demand on the left back and right winger. So the manager sees fit to pick and choose when to start Martial. Things would go much smoother if Martial had some playmaking about him, but that is lacking in his game. If he could orchestrate the attack better he would start every game for us.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I've long thought a Griezmann/Martial swap would suit both parties down to the ground
From Martial to Simeone... frying pan to fire.

To be honest, it’s what he needs but it would still be down to him to accept the coaches instructions and apply himself correctly. The only difference would be a change in his attitude and perhaps that could only be achieved by a change of club and management.

The idea that Martial would suddenly be unleashed in a different side with different tactics is so naive. He’d still have to make fundamental changes to his game.

RepardReece

For comparison Rashford is younger, is an ex academy player, broke through in pretty much the same way as Martial (even looked more impressive at the beginning because He couldn't stop scoring after breaking into the scene), also capable of playing on the left or as a striker. Have you ever heard Rashford bitching? nope. Even after We bought Sanchez and He's pretty much the third choice He didn't complain.

I've seen several Rashford interviews and He always talked about positive stuffs - He has to improve, the team have to improve, etc. Maybe He actually realizes He still plays bad from time to time. Martial, I agree He's really good with dribbling in tight spaces but if He can't spot his flaws or doesn't realize He's not consistent enough to be starting every games and feels like He's entitled to be playing all games then He can leave.

"But the club bought Sanchez" is not a valid excuse if you're a professional football player. It's like your company hires someone with a better CV than you and you start bitching instead of just getting on with it and do your job or show your worth if you really think you're as good if not better than the guy.

It's not like Martial started 5 games last season either. I would blame Jose partly because in several games, Martial could have been a better options in LW than playing off-form Sanchez there but let's not put a blinder here... the thing is Martial is also at fault. I haven't seen a lot of improvement from him either, He's still as inconsistent as ever.

Come on now, a player goes, We move on and find better or equal replacement as We've done time and time again (aside from Ronaldo). Don't know what's the fuss all about, this guy is hardly Ronaldo or Beckham.
The fuss is because he could have been a Ronaldo or Beckham, and if you disagree, you haven't seen him play at his best. His ability to get past players and drive forward was Ronaldo-esque. Jose is literally the reason he's gone, the reason why he hasn't performed and the reason why he's not happy here. Thing is, Martials young, has only just begun his career and can develop into one of the best. If we get Bale as a replacement, he'll give us 3 seasons probably then decline. Sanchez who replaced him is the same situation. He was entitled to play all games before we got Sanchez anyway, he was on form. This is why I didn't want Jose in, he's ruining all our young players (Martial, Shaw, Pereira's probably going to leave, even Rashford, TFM hasn't seen much game time under him).

Noc-Z

ffs
Some good points you have there.

The thing is Martial came when we were seriously under par and he became the star in the team. Young, talented kid leading Manchester United's frontline. That was a big deal but people and maybe Martial himself, forgot it was a struggling United team.
I suspect things became a bit tricky for him once he put on that 'leader of the line' toga in his second season and bigger stars were brought in who came with big egos - especially Zlatan who was even given his shirt number. Forced to give up his number, forced to yield leadership, forced to rotate from the bench, criticized by a straight shooting manager, it seemed it was inevitable that Martial would lose his joy at United. He's a talented kid no doubt and we can't entirely blame him for everything but the it just so happens in football that there are times when some players just don't fit in well with a team or manager.
Yeah, I agree - I don't completely blame him either. If he came during a more successful period and was surrounded by a proper team of winners, then maybe things would have worked out a little better for him. It's just not a good fit at this time. It was a signing I didn't understand back when LvG brought him in.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
From Martial to Simeone... frying pan to fire.

To be honest, it’s what he needs but it would still be down to him to accept the coaches instructions and apply himself correctly. The only difference would be a change in his attitude and perhaps that could only be achieved by a change of club and management.

The idea that Martial would suddenly be unleashed in a different side with different tactics is so naive. He’d still have to make fundamental changes to his game.
Mourinho is quite hands off in his management. Simeone would be like a drill sergeant for him. Maybe that's what he needs.

Nikelesh Reddy

Not surprised at all,I knew that this would happen the moment we signed Sanchez.Martial can’t play anywhere else except on the left and obviously Sanchez and probably even Rashford are ahead of him in the pecking order.I would sell him this summer...Obviously he’s very talented but he’s not a player who can come on every now and then and make a impact.He needs to play consistently and he obviously won’t be able to do that next season...

This is also a good opportunity for us to sort out the imbalance in our attack.I think we should sell Martial and sign a top class RW.Sanchez and Rashford can compete for a place on the left,we need a new signing to play on the right...

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The fuss is because he could have been a Ronaldo or Beckham, and if you disagree, you haven't seen him play at his best. His ability to get past players and drive forward was Ronaldo-esque. Jose is literally the reason he's gone, the reason why he hasn't performed and the reason why he's not happy here. Thing is, Martials young, has only just begun his career and can develop into one of the best. If we get Bale as a replacement, he'll give us 3 seasons probably then decline. Sanchez who replaced him is the same situation. He was entitled to play all games before we got Sanchez anyway, he was on form. This is why I didn't want Jose in, he's ruining all our young players (Martial, Shaw, Pereira's probably going to leave, even Rashford, TFM hasn't seen much game time under him).
Just like how Depay could have been the next Ronaldo, Janujaz the next Giggs and Jones the next Duncan Edwards. :rolleyes:

redIndianDevil

It's not like Martial started 5 games last season either. I would blame Jose partly because in several games, Martial could have been a better option in LW than playing off-form Sanchez there but let's not put a blinder here... the thing is Martial is also at fault. I haven't seen a lot of improvement from him either, He's still as inconsistent as ever.

I don't get how Martial's situation is equal to what you have described, Martial not being allowed to do his job is the problem. Mourinho effectively replaced Martial by buying Sanchez.

LeftyBlaster

What sucks about this is if he really wants to leave, he would be a much more potent player under a manager who actually knows how to coach him to his strengths and correct his deficiencies, or play him in a system that will utilise his strengths. He’d be devastating under Klopp or Pep. I would not want him to go.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I don't get how Martial's situation is equal to what you have described, Martial not being allowed to do his job is the problem. Mourinho effectively replaced Martial by buying Sanchez.
If He was never on the field after We bought Sanchez then I understand... but that seems to not to be the case, no?

But as I said, both him and Jose are at fault. Just don't get people who blame only Jose for this, the fact that Sanchez was available and Arsenal were willing to trade him with Mkhi (who was struggling) was not his fault.

GM K

Last time I checked Sanchez and Martial lose the ball on average more than 3 times every 90 mins.
Sanchez wins the ball back roughly 2.5 times more often than Martial.
I find the Martial comparison with Sanchez absolutely ridiculous. Just because Sanchez has been way below his best lately? They are not from the same planet.
Martial has potential, no doubt but potential is what it is, nothing more. Let Martial prove himself first before we start that conversation. If Sanchez was available and United failed to get him in January, I bet most people here would have been furious. Easy to criticize the move now with the benefit of hindsight but some months of experiencing dip in form won't suddenly wipe away Sanchez's quality. He has done it in Italy, Spain and England. He will do it gain at United.
I can't wait till next season to see the real Alexis Sanchez. If I was Martial, I will go to Sanchez every other day to get tips from him. When Zlatan came, I would have gone to him and ask, 'Do you want my shirt number? Please take it. It is a great honour to play beside you.' I would go to Jose every day to ask him what he prefers me to do on the pitch. And I will shut my agent up.

redIndianDevil

Some in here seem really clueless about management when talking about Martial. Apparently, you have to play a player just because he played well because he's in form (is this FIFA or something?).

If you go by who is in form you'll be swapping out several players every few games, which means you'll never put a run together.

Team selection is based on the profile of the player that fulfils a tactical vision. This is why top managers insist on playing a core set of players every game. Martial effectively plays as a left sided striker for us, in most games he has played he has lowered defensive responsibility while the opposite winger has a greater amount of defensive responsibility and is always tracking back (Mata and Lingard).

Its very difficult to play with a central striker and an off centre left sided striker. It puts a huge demand on the left back and right winger. So the manager sees fit to pick and choose when to start Martial. Things would go much smoother if Martial had some playmaking about him, but that is lacking in his game. If he could orchestrate the attack better he would start every game for us.
LOL. It's FIFA where you play players regardless of form.

redIndianDevil

If He was never on the field after We bought Sanchez then I understand... but that seems to not to be the case, no?

But as I said, both him and Jose are at fault. Just don't get people who blame Jose for this, the fact that Sanches was available and Arsenal were willing to trade him with Mkhi (who was struggling) was not his fault.
Okay even if I agree with this, the guy with the better CV was equally or even more shite for us, why was he persisted with?

GM K

No, he did not. They both played together many times and I noticed a number of times when they were interchanging positions.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Okay even if I agree with this, the guy with the better CV was equally or even more shite for us, why was he persisted with?
Maybe because Martial has been in the club longer than Sanchez and failed to impress Jose that much? so Jose decided to give Sanchez time and chances. He doesn't seem to be a manager who cares about age.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
This was always going to happen with Mourinho in charge. Rashford will be next. He’s shown time and again he doesn’t have time for youngsters.

If he goes, we better be bringing in a top class replacement. With the FFP issues at PSG, Mbappe please! :drool:

Red_toad

But as I said, both him and Jose are at fault. Just don't get people who blame only Jose for this, the fact that Sanches was available and Arsenal were willing to trade him with Mkhi (who was struggling) was not his fault.
People seem to have forgotten his injury issues after Sanchez signed and his games up top when Lukaku. Didn’t really perform in the latter stages of the season. Obviously this will all be Jose’ fault!
But saying that club isn’t interested in selling him. So he can knuckle down or sulk and get lots of sympathy at having to turn up and earn tens of thousands a week at the hands of cruel Jose!

Status
Not open for further replies.