Television Breaking Bad

acnumber9

I don't get the reverance for The Sopranos. So repetitive, like a violent sit-com. I think there is an element of fantasist-appeal, as a lot find the gangster life seductive, but aftet bingeing my way to the end, I felt a bit "meh!"
Still, maybe BB appealed more because I looked a bit like the lead character.
It had outstanding character development, humour and drama. It eats and shits things like Game of Thrones. Better than Breaking Bad too if not quite as accessible to the masses.

Cina

The Sopranos is the most watched cable show ever, how exactly was it not accessible to the masses?

The Sopranos is the most watched cable show ever, how exactly was it not accessible to the masses?
I think he means presently. I watched through the whole Breaking Bad series in about a month on Netflix and I've had a hard time trying to watch all of the Sopranos episodes.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
We really should have a cafe poll on the Greatest Show.

Manny

Grammar Police
Are you talking about BB? Repetitive?

And I love GOT but I wouldn't rate it higher than BB or The Wire even if slightly above The Sopranos
Make drugs, deceive family, dodge Hank, call Saul, is Jesse dead yet? For the first four seasons. Thats pretty repetitive. You could skip a few episodes each season and still know the lay of the land.

I think it's a show that should have been over in three seasons but they dragged it out.

Skills

Snitch
If that's all you can recall from the first 4 seasons, I'd probably go to see a neurologist. Might just be early onset amnesia for all we know.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
He completely forgot about Marie's stealing.
How could he forget about one of the most gripping storylines in tv history?

I almost managed to completely forget about Maria did she have any point?

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I wouldn't even have BB in my top five.

A really good, fun show with a lot of great modern Western thriller elements, but I don't think there's anything particularly groundbreaking about it. It's ultimately just a really well made show with great cinematography and acting that's very, very silly, but it does the silly really well.

Not a patch on The Sopranos, The Wire, or Mad Men.
The Wire and Sopranos are absolute top tier for me (along with Twilight Zone and Arrested Development) But I'd have Mad Men and Breaking Bad in the second tier of personal favourites, on par with stuff like Game Of Thrones, Spaced, Friday Night Lights etc.

Moby

Dick
People who don't like BB take for a simple serious action series from start to end and completely don't get the dark humor that was the primary constant theme of the show.

Cina

People who don't like BB take for a simple serious action series from start to end and completely don't get the dark humor that was the primary constant theme of the show.
Bizarre statement.

I don't think anyone will argue that BB had some great dark comedy/humourous elements but to say it's 'primarily' about that is just wrong. The Wire and The Sopranos were full of moments of dark comedy too, would you say they're primarily based on that as well?

Cina

The guy who created the show said that
He said the dark comedy and drama are 'two cups of the same arm'. That's not 'primarily a dark comedy'.

I'd also say the first season is the only one that mixes the two pretty equally and as the show progresses along it becomes more about the drama and less about the comedy.

Anyway, I agree with Abedesi, 'you just didn't understand the show' is a lame turd of an excuse to drill at people who don't like the show as much as you.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just to carry from what a few others have said a bit, I think it had the perfect balance of dark themes presented in a lightish manner.

As we know from Walt's clothing choices, they paid a lot of attention to colours, so they made an obvious choice to keep things bright overall with some serious if slightly over the top stories.

Made for great entertainment and a fairly easy but also in depth watch.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm only 3 seasons in going onto the 4th on The Wire but, so far, BB>TW

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It had outstanding character development, humour and drama. It eats and shits things like Game of Thrones. Better than Breaking Bad too if not quite as accessible to the masses.
Not accessible? The reason I didn't like it quite as much as BB was that you have seen it all before. Just a really good mafia drama. Not that different to Goodfellas if it were made for tv.

Last edited:

acnumber9

Not accessible? The reason I didn't like it quite as much as BB was that you have seen it all before. Just a really good mafia drama. Not that different to Goodfellas if it were made for tv.
Just a general opinion from people I know that couldn't get into it. It was pretty unique to television and was the beginning of the golden age for television drama. Goodfellas is a great film but it's not like The Sopranos in any way.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I wouldn't even have BB in my top five.

A really good, fun show with a lot of great modern Western thriller elements, but I don't think there's anything particularly groundbreaking about it. It's ultimately just a really well made show with great cinematography and acting that's very, very silly, but it does the silly really well.

Not a patch on The Sopranos, The Wire, or Mad Men.
What is "groundbreaking" about Mad Men?

amolbhatia50k

Breaking bad is repetitive only if you look at it from the "So, what happens then?" angle. The show is more anout the journey, both internal and external, of mostly one and sometimes a few characters, and less about big twists and turns like, say, Game of a Thrones. If that's what you prefer then yeah it's repetitive. But I loved it's style of story telling, standard of acting and realism too much to care about epic twists not happening fast enough.

amolbhatia50k

People are always banging on about its extraordinary attention to detail, in terms of the props and costumes etc, so I assume that.
So, essentially groundbreaking props and costumes. Sounds like a real game changer.