Television Breaking Bad

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm only 3 seasons in going onto the 4th on The Wire but, so far, BB>TW
Season four is the best piece of Television aired, so I imagine your mind will definitely change.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Not accessible? The reason I didn't like it quite as much as BB was that you have seen it all before. Just a really good mafia drama. Not that different to Goodfellas if it were made for tv.
Have to disagree with that - while Goodfellas, like most movies of the genre, depicted the classic "rise and fall" arc, from the first episode the Sopranos showed it wasn't about that, with Tony saying to Melfi that he feels like "he came in at the end" and basically missed the "rise" part.

DWelbz19

What is "groundbreaking" about Mad Men?
What the I assume the other poster was trying to pick up (so long as he wasn't being sarcastic) was the subtlety of the show. It's extremely delicate - intentionally so, as the plot often plays on this - but still manages to be engaging. I feel like that is one of the reasons why it is a greater show than Breaking Bad; it's a lot more difficult to pull those characteristics off in a show like Mad Men than in the frantic, visceral, action-packed Breaking Bad. That's not to say it's all airy-fairy, the dialogue within Mad Men is easily on par with anything else I've seen - Deadwood, The Wire etc.

Also, I don't say this as a snide or to offend, but judging from how your responses in the Game of Thrones thread read, your immediate distaste, or downplay to a show like Mad Men is pretty much in line. It's certainly a slow-burner that will engross gradually than spark instantly into life.
----------------
The Sopranos is absolutely nothing like Goodfellas. Despite all the dream sequences, violence, etc. the key theme that shines throughout is the banality/verisimilitude of life. It's a key reason it did so well.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Have to disagree with that - while Goodfellas, like most movies of the genre, depicted the classic "rise and fall" arc, from the first episode the Sopranos showed it wasn't about that, with Tony saying to Melfi that he feels like "he came in at the end" and basically missed the "rise" part.
Still just the same old mafia stuff though. It would have been a bore if not done so well.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What the I assume the other poster was trying to pick up (so long as he wasn't being sarcastic) was the subtlety of the show. It's extremely delicate - intentionally so, as the plot often plays on this - but still manages to be engaging. I feel like that is one of the reasons why it is a greater show than Breaking Bad; it's a lot more difficult to pull those characteristics off in a show like Mad Men than in the frantic, visceral, action-packed Breaking Bad. That's not to say it's all airy-fairy, the dialogue within Mad Men is easily on par with anything else I've seen - Deadwood, The Wire etc.

Also, I don't say this as a snide or to offend, but judging from how your responses in the Game of Thrones thread read, your immediate distaste, or downplay to a show like Mad Men is pretty much in line. It's certainly a slow-burner that will engross gradually than spark instantly into life.
----------------
The Sopranos is absolutely nothing like Goodfellas. Despite all the dream sequences, violence, etc. the key theme that shines throughout is the banality/verisimilitude of life. It's a key reason it did so well.
I actually haven't seen Mad Men. I was just being curious. I've only caught a little bit of it and it didnt find it particularly interesting. But I'd have to watch it properly to say.

I'd so say you're wrong about my interests though. I prefer the subtler and slower burning stuff whether in movies or shows. In fact I'd say my comments in the GoT show just that. In comparison to BB it's far more candy floss and gimmicky. Still an excellent show ot course.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

----------------
Mad Men is boring as batshit. Glorifying a hideously sexist era that was probably even boring at the time in the most fatuous of industries. None of the characters held any interest for me at all.

And Goodfellas isn't exactly the same as The Sopranos but it shares many of the same old mafia themes that when done less well than The Sopranos or Goodfellas or Godfather I or II it is an utter bore.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

----------------
I'm currently watching Mad Men (Half way through Season 6) and while I think it's a very good show at times it really gets dull as feck. I can appreciate the subtlety but I do not necessarily find it all that entertainment and that's the prime reason we watch TV shows. While GoT veers off to the other extreme and has become cringeworthy in it's constant efforts to have twists, Breaking Bad has just the right mixture between subtlety and gripping drama.

I'd rate the Wire as the best show but BB is well ahead of Mad Men so far.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He said the dark comedy and drama are 'two cups of the same arm'. That's not 'primarily a dark comedy'.

I'd also say the first season is the only one that mixes the two pretty equally and as the show progresses along it becomes more about the drama and less about the comedy.

Anyway, I agree with Abedesi, 'you just didn't understand the show' is a lame turd of an excuse to drill at people who don't like the show as much as you.
You are worse than Hitler ;)

I don't disagree about the comedy being more overt in season 1 but it got darker as the season's went on. The magnetic pipe bomb sticking to the lift is comedy gold IMO.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

I'm currently watching Mad Men (Half way through Season 6) and while I think it's a very good show at times it really gets dull as feck. I can appreciate the subtlety but I do not necessarily find it all that entertainment and that's the prime reason we watch TV shows. While GoT veers off to the other extreme and has become cringeworthy in it's constant efforts to have twists, Breaking Bad has just the right mixture between subtlety and gripping drama.

I'd rate the Wire as the best show but BB is well ahead of Mad Men so far.
Fair enough, horses for courses and all that. I do agree it can get a bit too mundane with the pacing but that does wonders to boost the pay-offs when they do happen. Also, I'd say on a personal point it was quite rewarding for me to pick up on more smaller things on rewatch.

Subtle isn't a word I'd use to describe Breaking Bad, for what's it worth.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Maybe I'm talking shit, I generally am, but I think BB is more the type of show you can have on and easily follow without paying much attention. You can text, browse the internet, etc., and you'll still enjoy it a lot, which is fair, it's a very good show.

But for Mad Men, you have to be more attentive and tune in more to enjoy it, which makes it more enjoyable in the long run. That's in my experience anyway.

Cina

You are worse than Hitler ;)

I don't disagree about the comedy being more overt in season 1 but it got darker as the season's went on. The magnetic pipe bomb sticking to the lift is comedy gold IMO.
The show still had hilarious moments, absolutely.

"Magnets, bitch"

But they were a lot less frequent, I don't think anyone can argue that?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The show still had hilarious moments, absolutely.

"Magnets, bitch"

But they were a lot less frequent, I don't think anyone can argue that?
Aye, you can pretty much track the shift by the way Jesse's character changes. At the start he's largely comic relief, by the end he's a wreck.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I have seen plenty of popular shows after Breaking Bad and I'm actually quite astonished where Breaking Bad gets this huge praise from. The show is very cartoonish and I felt too many times that a scene was being milked as much as they could. At times I was literally thinking 'TALK YOU MF'ER' because actors were staring at eachother. Sure, well acted, but boring as hell. I just finished Gomorra (Italian show) and it absolutely shits on Breaking Bad in terms of pacing/tension/dialogues, let alone the likes of The Wire and The Sopranos.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Season four is the best piece of Television aired, so I imagine your mind will definitely change.
Yeah, I've read that quite a bit on here, so I'm really excited to start that season. 1 more ep to go!

MkPaul

learnt from the best
Watched it from start to finish twice so far, the only thing that has come close in my opinion is GoT. I still have The Wire to watch which I think will come close based on reviews.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
His parents hate him and think he's a loser, they were selling their house, he bought it, they didn't know until that moment
Thanks Rossi. Doesn't seem that funny, but it's one of those have to be there moments?

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
That just makes me wanna watch those Supa Hot Fire videos again.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I have seen plenty of popular shows after Breaking Bad and I'm actually quite astonished where Breaking Bad gets this huge praise from. The show is very cartoonish and I felt too many times that a scene was being milked as much as they could. At times I was literally thinking 'TALK YOU MF'ER' because actors were staring at eachother. Sure, well acted, but boring as hell. I just finished Gomorra (Italian show) and it absolutely shits on Breaking Bad in terms of pacing/tension/dialogues, let alone the likes of The Wire and The Sopranos.
You're criticising the show for what is essentially a stylistic choice.