Television Breaking Bad

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
fecking hell the last 30 seconds of that beats the shit out of Hanks gunfight. Wow in fecking deed.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
What a fecking episode. BB does dwell into more mainstream shock and awe approach of Hollywood unlike other fellow more grinding shows like Wire and Sopranos but they do it really fecking well.

It was just about 4 sequences. And how fecking good were all of them..eh?

Walt and Jesse talk

Miké's story

The dispute meeting

Finale

You could not tell it was a 40min plus episode, instead felt like 20 mins long.

Gambit

Seriously, this and Dexter, well done America. You now make the best TV on earth. I liked the Sopranos, the wire etc but this and Dexter beats them all in my eyes. Within an episode they can turn the world upside down.

Gambit

Also Skylar has come into her own this series. They're all Breaking Bad. Next season it'll be Hank.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Seriously, this and Dexter, well done America. You now make the best TV on earth. I liked the Sopranos, the wire etc but this and Dexter beats them all in my eyes. Within an episode they can turn the world upside down.
In fairness they have always made the best TV. But they are at a new level nowadays.

But even growing up 90% of the stuff I used to watch was American made.

Cina

Whoa now, let's not go overboard :D

Gambit

In fairness they have always made the best TV. But they are at a new level nowadays.

But even growing up 90% of the stuff I used to watch was American made.
The 70's, 80's and early 90's they didn't, especilly in the drama stakes. Mid 90's they suddenly changed and now they're excellent.
Whoa now, let's not go overboard :D
I'm not, where as they were both brilliant series they never packed the emotional punch for me that Braking Bad and Dexter are able to deliver.

crappycraperson

Scout
Wire is in different league with TV shows because it never too any dramatic license to shock, entertain and or introduce a twist. Dexter and Breaking Bad are still very mainstream in that respect.

And it is actually, Sopranos which is the most emotionally involving out of all these 4 IMO.

Gambit

Wire is in different league with TV shows because it never too any dramatic license to shock, entertain and or introduce a twist. Dexter and Breaking Bad are still very mainstream in that respect.

And it is actually, Sopranos which is the most emotionally involving out of all these 4 IMO.
Found no matter what I couldn't sympathise with any of the characters in the Sopranos. It also went on to long. Whats this mainstream monikor all about all of a sudden. Theyre drama shows and a damn sight different than the supposed mainstream. If BB and Dex are now mainstream then the Sopranos was the most main stream show ever.

crappycraperson

Scout
Yeah, that is why it did not say that about Sopranos. What makes Wire the best TV show of all time is that it essentially made a documentary that gripping and entertaining. There were no major pay offs like the one in the end of this episode or like shoot out earlier in the season. They were not needed. And then the fact that show as about everything and not just one aspect of our society. Reason why, I do not compare other shows with Wire.

Right now BB and Dexter are two best shows on. Tough to separate the two. I like Dexter more but I will say BB is actually better.

Cina

Yeah, that is why it did not say that about Sopranos. What makes Wire the best TV show of all time is that it essentially made a documentary that gripping and entertaining. There were no major pay offs like the one in the end of this episode or like shoot out earlier in the season. They were not needed. And then the fact that show as about everything and not just one aspect of our society. Reason why, I do not compare other shows with Wire.

Right now BB and Dexter are two best shows on. Tough to separate the two. I like Dexter more but I will say BB is actually better.
Can't argue that, though Mad Men is excellent too, if not quite as good.

Laphroaig

It was just about 4 sequences. And how fecking good were all of them..eh?

Walt and Jesse talk

Miké's story

The dispute meeting

Finale

You could not tell it was a 40min plus episode, instead felt like 20 mins long.
It probably was if you missed out on the parts involving Hank and Skyler.

crappycraperson

Scout
It probably was if you missed out on the parts involving Hank and Skyler.
Could not care less about any of them if I am honest.

Skylar emasculating Walt is getting tedious now even though it is very much needed right now for the plot.

Laphroaig

Really? The show would be so much poorer if it was a plain crime show. And Hank has been the star of the season for me.

And I do worry for the people who are contemptous of Skyler (and Rita in Dexter).

Cina

And I do worry for the people who are contemptous of Skyler (and Rita in Dexter).
Why? She's clearly been developed as Walt's 'enemy'. I doubt you're really supposed to like her anymore.

crappycraperson

Scout
Really? The show would be so much poorer if it was a plain crime show. And Hank has been the star of the season for me.

I was talking in the context of this episode. Main sequences were too gripping to be bothered by other stuff.

Laphroaig

Why? She's clearly been developed as Walt's 'enemy'. I doubt you're really supposed to like her anymore.
I think her actions and motives remain as reasonable as those of Walt's.

Emasculating Walt? As if it is the pinnacle of masculinity to cook meth! Some of the comments about her, and about Rita in the Dexter thread, smacks of chauvinism, but I suspect that they stem from a (unbalanced) love of the crime/action elements of the series, and Skyler certainly stand in the way of those.
I was talking in the context of this episode. Main sequences were too gripping to be bothered by other stuff.
Ah, ok. I read your two sentences as related. Still, my above comments stand.

Cina

Emasculating Walt? As if it is the pinnacle of masculinity to cook meth! Some of the comments about her, and about Rita in the Dexter thread, smacks of chauvinism, but I suspect that they stem from a (unbalanced) love of the crime/action elements of the series, and Skyler certainly stand in the way of those.
Eh? I haven't emasculated him at all.

Skylar has shown nothing but contempt for Walt since finding out about the meth, she went and 'fecked Ted' and then told him all about it straight away, as if to say that's punishment for what he did. Admittedly in the last few episodes she's improved and is starting to be helpful, and I'm liking her more again now, but previously in the series she was clearly written as Walt's 'enemy', if you will.

Laphroaig

Yeah, that was crappy's comment.

I just think this is a fantastic show, and that Skyler is one of many reasons why, and I therefor find some of the comments to be harsh and unfair. I think we are supposed to understand the characters rather than like them.

Cina

Yeah, that was crappy's comment.

I just think this is a fantastic show, and that Skyler is one of many reasons why, and I therefor find some of the comments to be harsh and unfair. I think we are supposed to understand the characters rather than like them.
I agree she adds a certain necessary entity to the show, no doubt. But she's probably the only character I don't really like. Where as the likes of Saul and Gus are total cnuts yet still very likable as characters for some reason.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just downloaded the first season.

Shall be giving my opinion soon. You guys better not have let me down here!

mr.suave

Nah it's quality. I persuaded a load of my mates to start watching it and pretty much all of them are now massive fans.

Latest episode was mint, btw.

Gambit

Just downloaded the first season.

Shall be giving my opinion soon. You guys better not have let me down here!
As I say it takes about 4 - 6 episodes in to really get you.

crappycraperson

Scout

Ah, ok. I read your two sentences as related. Still, my above comments stand.
Firstly, for the record I think Skylar's role is pivotal to the series. But that does not mean you can find a lot of stuff she does irritating. That is actually one the charms of following a series as good as this.

Now I will address the emasculation part.

Going back to the start of the series, cooking meth and breaking bad did allow Walt become more of a "man" in conventional or if you like in ancient terms. Before that you could easily tell who wore the pants in that family. That is not to say, Skylar seeked out to do that. In a lot of relationships, the dominant person ends up assuming that role. Even in other ventures Walt suffered due to his weakness, be in losing his business venture or ex-girlfriend.

Skylar stopping him from cooking is meth is not emasculating him. The recent stuff about Skylar now wading into his illegal businesses and once again telling him what to do certainly is. Before that, the Gus character already took a lot of control from Walt and with that the thrill and adrenaline rush being Heisenberg gave him. Now Skylar, wants control of all the money, leaving him at the same point as before when he was a powerless school teacher.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
As I say it takes about 4 - 6 episodes in to really get you.
Just watched the first 3 episodes and I'm hooked! It's a slow mover but enough happens to keep you involved.

Not sure if anyone else has said it before but can anyone noticed how much he looks like Ned Flanders?!

Gambit

Just watched the first 3 episodes and I'm hooked! It's a slow mover but enough happens to keep you involved.

Not sure if anyone else has said it before but can anyone noticed how much he looks like Ned Flanders?!
Oh the pace, heh, your in for a nice surprise then. It goes very slowly then explodes. Then goes slowly again. Wait til Heisenberg arrives on the scene.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Made my missus watch the 1st two episodes, and I thought she was enjoying it. Her comment though after shocked me. "I suppose I am interested to see how it turns out, but Im not really arsed"

In otherwords, I aint watching anymore, just tell me what happens instead.

I felt like slapping her. In fact I think I will when I get home tonight.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just watched the latest episode, wow. Brilliant stuff.

Biscuit1871

Made my missus watch the 1st two episodes, and I thought she was enjoying it. Her comment though after shocked me. "I suppose I am interested to see how it turns out, but Im not really arsed"

In otherwords, I aint watching anymore, just tell me what happens instead.

I felt like slapping her. In fact I think I will when I get home tonight.
What a slag. I'd drop her asap.

Gambit

quick and very rough trailer for the season 3 finale