Brentan Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

steeeb

To be fair, he has turned them in to a good footballing side. He deserves praise for that. If he can turn them from a midtable team (which, on current form - they are) into something a bit more, then he will have done a fantastic job.

The fact he has done this, rather than walk into a great team, or a club with stupid amounts of money is what deserves praise, really.

(I now expect a 5 game losing streak after I've said that - And I do agree we should wait until the end of the season before really singing his praises - but it's pretty clear already what he has done for them).

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
[/B]

For what? To say you like how a particular manager sets his team up, the football he has them play, and his footballing philosophy? I like his style now, I like how they play now, how the season ends up for them doesn't change that, I like that he gets his team to play no matter what.

Like I've said, I'm simply saying I like how Rodgers gets Swansea to play and I think he's a manager worth keeping an eye on. Why are people rushing in to say "wait til the end of the season"? For what? I'm not kneejerking and saying he's Fergie's replacement, I'm just saying I like him and he's worth keeping an eye on.
All people are saying is that Coyle, Martinez and Holloway all got praised for similar reasons only for things to fall apart as the season dragged on, so it'll be interesting to see what happens when they come up against a completely different set of challenges in the second half of the season. There's generally at least one team every season that come up and play a refreshing style of football but the sad fact is quite often this doesn't bring much success. Most people are agreeing with you in that they're interested in how they do and want to keep an eye on them, they're just looking at it from a different angle. No-one's accusing you of being knee-jerk.

Ole90+3

[/B]

For what? To say you like how a particular manager sets his team up, the football he has them play, and his footballing philosophy? I like his style now, I like how they play now, how the season ends up for them doesn't change that, I like that he gets his team to play no matter what.

Like I've said, I'm simply saying I like how Rodgers gets Swansea to play and I think he's a manager worth keeping an eye on. Why are people rushing in to say "wait til the end of the season"? For what? I'm not kneejerking and saying he's Fergie's replacement, I'm just saying I like him and he's worth keeping an eye on.
Kneejerk thread. Wait til the end of the season at atleast before bigging him up. You must have loved Holloway!

Please bite! You seem to be getting very annoyed.

bergen

Author of gayest thread 07/08
It seems he's really aware of the potential 2nd half downfall of teams like Swansea, and is bringing in some reinforcements instead of resting on his laurels. Gylfi Sigurðsson and Josh McEachran are fantastic additions.

The Neviller

Kneejerk thread. Wait til the end of the season at atleast before bigging him up. You must have loved Holloway!

Please bite! You seem to be getting very annoyed.
haha I'm far from annoyed, takes more than this to rile me.

And as much as I liked how Blackpool played, i've always thought Holloway was a bit of an annoying bellend.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is it still knee-jerk to love this guy? ;)
Not really, hes done a hell of a job and getting swansea playing some fantastic football.

At regular times against city they had almost 70% possesion.

He really has built a great team on a shoestring budget.

Deserves a crack at a bigger team IMO

Man-United

Him or Lambert should be manager of the year. Both teams are safe only after 28 games.

Smores

I'd say Rodgers simply because of the style he has his team playing with. If Spurs lose Harry then I'd love him to get the job and see how he can get them playing.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Done a great job with this team. I admire him for sticking by his philosophy. Not only is it refreshing for the game, it's also working.

What I find most impressive is the fact that they're often able to match some of the bigger teams when it comes to possession. They're not just an attacking side; they're an organised one that can control matches. I don't know how Rodgers has done it with a team that many thought would go down, but he has.

Probably manager of the season for me, just ahead of Lambert. If Harry leaves Spurs this summer, then it's his or Lambert's job for me. Both deserve a proper crack at the big time, sooner rather than later.

A Lost Mackem

On a season long loan from the SOS
Can't stand him after we beat them and he said something along the lines of 'Sunderland fans will have been asking about what this Swansea team are like and now they know'. We won 2-0 and all they did was pass it about in their own half and created one half chance all game, that's not exciting football to me.

He's done a cracking job mind that can't be denied.

stubie

A mate of mine reckons he's Villa bound in the summer

Certainly has the credentials to make the step up

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Can't stand him after we beat them and he said something along the lines of 'Sunderland fans will have been asking about what this Swansea team are like and now they know'. We won 2-0 and all they did was pass it about in their own half and created one half chance all game, that's not exciting football to me.

He's done a cracking job mind that can't be denied.
What's wrong with what he said?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think he could do a lot better than Villa if he holds out, to be honest. I know they're a bigger club than Swansea, but they're not in a much better position right now than Swansea as a club. If he holds out, he could get the Spurs job, or maybe the Liverpool or Arsenal job if he waits a bit longer.

A Lost Mackem

On a season long loan from the SOS
What's wrong with what he said?
his full quote

'“It is great for the public here at Sunderland to see us,” said manager Brendan Rodgers. “They must have been wondering what this team everyone is talking about are all about and now they have seen"

In a game they got beat 2-0 and had one chance in.

Brophs

The One and Only
He's on Goals on Sunday at the moment. Comes across as a decent guy with a fantastic outlook on the game. It's good to see British coaches who seem to coach players in the right way to play football.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
lets see how good they are next season. I think they're surprised people this by being a better footballing team then most expected. They've clearly no inferiority complex but next season teams will perhaps show them more respect.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Swansea have been very impressive. It's happened before with a newly promoted team doing really well but then they usually drop off in the later stages, like Blackpool, so it's getting more and more impressive with each win. Especially yesterday with an away win to an in-form Fulham.

Suedesi

The media wanking over him is vomit-inducing. The 'Brendan Rodgers' style of football. Beautiful passing football. Carroll doesn't fit with Brendan Rodgers philosophy. Joe Allen is the embodiment of the Brendan Rodgers football. It's like BR is Rinus Michels, Cruyff, Rijkaard and Guardiola all rolled into one, fcking Sky Wankers.

M'n'M

"Keane will be awesome alongside Torres."
and the reversal starts.......

Crustanoid

I like him. Bar Agent Woy I have never said that about a Liverpool manager. It usually ranges from mild dislike (Houllier) to severe revulsion (KKK) to constant derision (Rafa)

Homeomorphic

and the reversal starts.......
Genuine question. This is from a Swansea forum:

Do you remember the Kenny Jackett days and the uproar he suffered when he tried to introduce the hoofball game upon us? He took us as far as he could, then RM introduced the total pass game, PS gave us a defence... so BR inherited a good footballing team that needed a tweak or two to get us up.

Now he's taken our blue-print and is trying to drop it on to another club... It took us years, he's got weeks.
Rogers inherited a Swansea team who were already playing in that style. Liverpool looked like they didnt know what they were supposed to do. Its like teachin gthe back 4 a different language. Skrtl looked like he didnt know what to do...etc..etc...
I watched the Sunday Supplement... what they said was that BR wasnt someone who played the passing game at Chelsea 2nds, Watford & Reading and inherited it at Swansea after RM & PS and thought this works and went with it...
Might be butthurt Swansea fans of course (don't know why though, Laudrup is a gem). But it would also make sense. So if anyone has any knowledge about Swansea FC, let me know. I find them very interesting.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Interesting for all this talk of Rodgers great possession game they had more of the ball under KKK in the same fixture last year. 56% to 51%. KKK team done slightly better in terms of shots on target. Arguable they played just as good Under KKK if not a slight bit better. The praise for Rodgers is a bit premature. You would thing under KKK they were Stoke or something. KKK teams did play a passing game. Its just their finishing was awful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19310450
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15809406

M'n'M

"Keane will be awesome alongside Torres."
Reversal on what? I find the media incessant fawning ridiculous, and to be honest I didn't see much of a change in style from Liverpool yesterday.

Feel free to correct me
Two pages of complimenting Rogers while Swansea manager, two games at Liverpool and the "vomit-inducing" shite starts.

Genuine question. This is from a Swansea forum:

Might be butthurt Swansea fans of course (don't know why though, Laudrup is a gem). But it would also make sense. So if anyone has any knowledge about Swansea FC, let me know. I find them very interesting.
It certainly was started by Martinez but that doesn't mean Rogers didn't stick to it and improve it. Is Laudrup a gem because he's playing with Rodgers team or Martinez' team or because he's his own man with his own style?

Status
Not open for further replies.