Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cloud7

I found this photo from the FPCU during the run up to the 1975 vote. They are now essentially the (or one of the) main driving driving force behind the DUP.

Fecking hell, never in my life did I think I would have seen “Antichrist” and some bible verses literally being put forward as reasons to vote against something. 1975 wasn’t even that long ago.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm not a brexiteer. I wanted to stay in. But I'm getting a little cheesed off with the almost total attitude in this thread that the EU has nothing to answer for.
They don't. They have been cooperative and professional throughout. We have been a shambles throwing childish strops because we can't cherry pick the bits we like, get rid of everything else and not pay for the privileged. The EU could have been really obstructive to make an example of anyone who tried to leave but they haven't.

Honest John

They don't. They have been cooperative and professional throughout. We have been a shambles throwing childish strops because we can't cherry pick the bits we like, get rid of everything else and not pay for the privileged. The EU could have been really obstructive to make an example of anyone who tried to leave but they haven't.
Regardless of whether you think the UK is childish, should the fact that a country of the size and magnitude of the UK is leaving your club not give pause for a little introspection?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Regardless of whether you think the UK is childish, should the fact that a country of the size and magnitude of the UK is leaving your club not give pause for a little introspection?
Maybe if they actually had a well thought out reason for leaving.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It depends on the reasons the country is leaving which said country can't explain.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Fecking hell, never in my life did I think I would have seen “Antichrist” and some bible verses literally being put forward as reasons to vote against something. 1975 wasn’t even that long ago.
I wouldn't be surprised to see bible verses in American elections next year to be honest.

Rooney24

I found this photo from the FPCU during the run up to the 1975 vote. They are now essentially the (or one of the) main driving driving force behind the DUP.

Rome. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

feck me they really are in the stone ages. Both then and now.

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart

And I can't get over their No.1 point:
The term "ecumenism" refers to efforts by Christians of different Church traditions to develop closer relationships and better understandings. The term is also often used to refer to efforts towards the visible and organic unity of different Christian denominations in some form.

So in short, these are Guys and Ladys (Hello Darlene!) who are happy to go back to the times of religious warfare. It boggles the mind....
(Edit: At the time they were already absolutely happy to have religious warfare in Northern Ireland)

JPRouve

Scout
That's introspective.
For the UK not for the EU. For the EU it would be inquisitive which depending on the answer could lead to introspection.

Also there is an issue with the idea that the EU are the reason behind brexit, when no one is actual able to explain brexit.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm sure it has. Thus their reasonable response.

That said there is no rationality to the UK's desire to leave (that probably no longer even exists) so how do you think about that in any rational way?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The term "ecumenism" refers to efforts by Christians of different Church traditions to develop closer relationships and better understandings. The term is also often used to refer to efforts towards the visible and organic unity of different Christian denominations in some form.

So in short, these are Guys and Ladys (Hello Darlene!) who are happy to go back to the times of religious warfare. It boggles the mind....
(Edit: At the time they were already absolutely happy to have religious warfare in Northern Ireland)
A Father Ted script rejected as being too unbelievable?

Cloud7

I wouldn't be surprised to see bible verses in American elections next year to be honest.
Ezekiel 42:20

“It had a wall all around, the length five hundred and the width five hundred, to divide between the holy and the profane.”

Can easily see some of those American evangelicals wheeling that one out :drool:

Stick

Supports
Liverpool

Maticmaker

It's weird that people still think no deal is unlikely.
Its not that people think its unlikely, its that it is realistically now only one of two options remaining, No Deal or No Brexit!

In the HoC last night the ERG demonstrated it will if necessary take things down to the wire. We are told that the EU is not for turning (apparently?) and no other option seems to have support in the HoC. However, the majority of MP's are in the remain camp and clearly they don't want a No deal; so ultimately there may be nothing to stop it but a No Brexit!

Farage already believes this and is 'tooling up' for the aftermath, which could turn out to be a war of attrition in political terms; in the process decimating both the Tories and the Labour Party. If the new Brexit party wins sufficient seats in the upcoming EU elections, then such an outcome might conceivably lead to a worse situation for everyone, UK and EU, than the No deal option would have... at least the repercussions will probably take longer to recover from!

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Farage already believes this and is 'tooling up' for the aftermath, which could turn out to be a war of attrition in political terms; in the process decimating both the Tories and the Labour Party. If the new Brexit party wins sufficient seats in the upcoming EU elections, then such an outcome might conceivably lead to a worse situation for everyone, UK and EU, than the No deal option would have... at least the repercussions will probably take longer to recover from!
How could it be worse? If he sets up his own party, if they get the numbers to bring us back to Brexit, you'd hope they'd go about it in a better way than we are currently attempting. Making use of the interim to actually plan out this possible outcome, no fumbling around making it up as we go like we are currently doing...
How long is this pause supposed to last? It's over 2 years! Any pause for introspection has long subsided...

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think there's a few nuances to this post.

I do agree the EU isn't perfect. It has lots of faults. I'm very much a staunch remainer but I can see and appreciate its faults. So you're right there, people should be willing to acknowledge the faults.

However, your question presumes a few things. That the vote to leave came from a place of knowledge. That
our politicians haven't long used the EU as a lightning rod for criticism. Of all the people I know who voted for Brexit, very few have actually given me valid reasons as to why. And some of them are so delusional so as not to even be worth discussing. One woman told me she wanted to stop more Indians coming into the country and then also tried telling me the one thing she was sad about after leaving was we could no longer compete in the euros or euro vision. That is the level of discourse I'm often exposed to.

I know we're not supposed to say people's views are stupid and I certainly did no such thing when talking to her. But I'm sorry, this is a poorly informed, silly view with no basis in fact at all.

So yes the EU has issues (though we had already negotiated exceptions to many of the things we did not like). Yes the EU, just like any organisation, should always be reflective. But I don't think our rather mis informed vote should be a cause of too much concern for them in terms of reform.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Read an interesting point about the WTO route.

Despite the obvious fact that we trade mainly with Europe anyway, the Japan deal with the EU took 6 years to sort out! Imagine if we have to negotiate 10 (or more) deals like this all at once. We would be on unfavourable terms for decades.

JPRouve

Scout
I think there's a few nuances to this post.

I do agree the EU isn't perfect. It has lots of faults. I'm very much a staunch remainer but I can see and appreciate its faults. So you're right there, people should be willing to acknowledge the faults.

However, your question presumes a few things. That the vote to leave came from a place of knowledge. That
our politicians haven't long used the EU as a lightning rod for criticism. Of all the people I know who voted for Brexit, very few have actually given me valid reasons as to why. And some of them are so delusional so as not to even be worth discussing. One woman told me she wanted to stop more Indians coming into the country and then also tried telling me the one thing she was sad about after leaving was we could no longer compete in the euros or euro vision. That is the level of discourse I'm often exposed to.

I know we're not supposed to say people's views are stupid and I certainly did no such thing when talking to her. But I'm sorry, this is a poorly informed, silly view with no basis in fact at all.

So yes the EU has issues (though we had already negotiated exceptions to many of the things we did not like). Yes the EU, just like any organisation, should always be reflective. But I don't think our rather mis informed vote should be a cause of too much concern for them in terms of reform.
Everyone knows that the EU isn't perfect and literally no one has ever suggested that it shouldn't evolve and improve. The irony here is that the poster that you are responding to was telling us yesterday that there was no reason to change the institutions that existed in 1975. Brexiteers are highly dishonest, they play for both teams, claim that they want change and then claim that things should go back to the way they were.

Maticmaker

How could it be worse? If he sets up his own party, if they get the numbers to bring us back to Brexit, you'd hope they'd go about it in a better way than we are currently attempting. Making use of the interim to actually plan out this possible outcome, no fumbling around making it up as we go like we are currently doing...

How long is this pause supposed to last? It's over 2 years! Any pause for introspection has long subsided...
The in-fighting in political terms will continue, here and in the EU itself, new alliances will be formed, new breakaway parties (supposedly centrists) will take the stage. Many leavers will see the Brexit party vote in the MEP elections as their only hope. The longed for business certainty many companies crave will not necessarily occur, that is in the short term, prices will rise because of the cost of covering the contingency planning for a no deal, many EU citizens may still take flight.

The stopper may be back in the bottle with a no Brexit outcome, but the genie is out!

Maticmaker

Rachel Johnson's Naked Brexit Protest

As TV sunk so low
Yes it has, we all clicked on this video didn't we? We are down in the mud folks, Michaele Obama's plea to "go high when they go low", is not working, is it?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

I think the idea of farrage with the brexit party... possibly a new centrist party (chukka and some labour MP's probably the lib dems and maybe even some remain conservatives) would mark a real change in the political spectrum

you would probably end up with 2 enclaves of mostly local issue parties (Northern ireland with sinn fein and DUP plus the SNP in scotland) and then possibly you have now 4 parties (momentum / old labour... centrist / new new labour... traditional tories / conservative and an eclectic mix of xenophobes, racists and ultra right wing economic types probably more resembling the tee party movement in america)

but with 4 main parties plus large local contingents effectively and first past the post you are going to pretty much ensure its always coalition government and at a guess most probably at some point you then have to move to PR to effectivley reflect the reality of that.

The long term political impact of brexit might actually be a total change in our democratic system and much as i prefer us to remain I must admit changing the first part the post and almost a 2 party system (wigg tory to conservative lib to conservatve labour) is something that id actually be in favour of... even if it does unfortunately mean we have to listen to farrage and his dog whistle rubbish

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
I think the idea of farrage with the brexit party... possibly a new centrist party (chukka and some labour MP's probably the lib dems and maybe even some remain conservatives) would mark a real change in the political spectrum

you would probably end up with 2 enclaves of mostly local issue parties (Northern ireland with sinn fein and DUP plus the SNP in scotland) and then possibly you have now 4 parties (momentum / old labour... centrist / new new labour... traditional tories / conservative and an eclectic mix of xenophobes, racists and ultra right wing economic types probably more resembling the tee party movement in america)

but with 4 main parties plus large local contingents effectively and first past the post you are going to pretty much ensure its always coalition government and at a guess most probably at some point you then have to move to PR to effectivley reflect the reality of that.

The long term political impact of brexit might actually be a total change in our democratic system and much as i prefer us to remain I must admit changing the first part the post and almost a 2 party system (wigg tory to conservative lib to conservatve labour) is something that id actually be in favour of... even if it does unfortunately mean we have to listen to farrage and his dog whistle rubbish
Not sure about the actual effect of PR though. Look at parliament now, in paralysis because no one group has a majority, wouldn't PR make that more likely? Another problem is it can give an influence out of proportion to relatively small extreme groups. I thing Israel has been cited for that, maybe someone with better knowledge than I could comment.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Not sure about the actual effect of PR though. Look at parliament now, in paralysis because no one group has a majority, wouldn't PR make that more likely? Another problem is it can give an influence out of proportion to relatively small extreme groups. I thing Israel has been cited for that, maybe someone with better knowledge than I could comment.
I think if we do end up with 4 parties then even with first past the post you will end up with coalition all the time
And I think you only have to look at the DUP to see how a small group can have far too much influence even under the current set up

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
I think if we do end up with 4 parties then even with first past the post you will end up with coalition all the time
And I think you only have to look at the DUP to see how a small group can have far too much influence even under the current set up
Fair comment. And as someone that looks forward to a Labour split I'm maybe on shaky ground anyway.

Reiver

Think this is a good analysis. If all this brought about PR then that would be something - that was one of Blair's biggest missed opportunities IMO.
Im no fan of FPTP. The way that May has to placate the ERG when she could have sought a cross party agreement a long time ago...hopefully situations like this would go with it.
Having said that, PR and coalition mean seeking real compromise and not giving mad DUPpers a £1 billion bung. I don't know if I trust our current crop of politicans to do their job under any kind of system.

Honest John

Everyone knows that the EU isn't perfect and literally no one has ever suggested that it shouldn't evolve and improve. The irony here is that the poster that you are responding to was telling us yesterday that there was no reason to change the institutions that existed in 1975. Brexiteers are highly dishonest, they play for both teams, claim that they want change and then claim that things should go back to the way they were.
The point is that 67% of the UK were happy to stay in the then Common Market now 52% voted to leave the EU. Clearly something has changed. Your assertion is that it is the UK which has changed. I am suggesting that the thing that the UK voted for in 1975 is not the same thing as it is now. Furthermore, although approval for for the EU has increased over the last years when polled across different members, there are still areas where people are not so content. In the last poll (May 2018 I believe) only 44% of Italians said that they thought the EU was a good thing against an EU average of 64%. What is interesting is that in that same poll 53% of UK nationals thought the EU was a good thing. Taken altogether there is enough evidence to suggest that there are quite large swathes of the EU population that are not happy with the EU and therefore claiming that the EU has nothing to answer for in this debacle is a bit arrogant. That is not to say that the UK is blameless. Far from it and in the coming years there will a massive reckoning in this country as to how something like this was allowed to happen and retribution will not be confined to the press and parliament. The courts and the street will have their say too. The world is changing and if the EU just blithely decide that the blame for all this lies firmly at the feet of the UK and refuses to examine its mission, its bloody indivisible rules and its road-maps then I would suggest that the UK will not be the last casualty.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
The point is that 67% of the UK were happy to stay in the then Common Market now 52% voted to leave the EU. Clearly something has changed. Your assertion is that it is the UK which has changed. I am suggesting that the thing that the UK voted for in 1975 is not the same thing as it is now. Furthermore, although approval for for the EU has increased over the last years when polled across different members, there are still areas where people are not so content. In the last poll (May 2018 I believe) only 44% of Italians said that they thought the EU was a good thing against an EU average of 64%. What is interesting is that in that same poll 53% of UK nationals thought the EU was a good thing. Taken altogether there is enough evidence to suggest that there are quite large swathes of the EU population that are not happy with the EU and therefore claiming that the EU has nothing to answer for in this debacle is a bit arrogant. That is not to say that the UK is blameless. Far from it and in the coming years there will a massive reckoning in this country as to how something like this was allowed to happen and retribution will not be confined to the press and parliament. The courts and the street will have their say too. The world is changing and if the EU just blithely decide that the blame for all this lies firmly at the feet of the UK and refuses to examine it mission, its bloody indivisible rules and its road-maps then I would suggest that the UK will not be the last casualty.
Answer this question, between 1975 and 2015 has the UK been part of the EU and actively built it?

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
The point is that 67% of the UK were happy to stay in the then Common Market now 52% voted to leave the EU. Clearly something has changed. Your assertion is that it is the UK which has changed. I am suggesting that the thing that the UK voted for in 1975 is not the same thing as it is now. Furthermore, although approval for for the EU has increased over the last years when polled across different members, there are still areas where people are not so content. In the last poll (May 2018 I believe) only 44% of Italians said that they thought the EU was a good thing against an EU average of 64%. What is interesting is that in that same poll 53% of UK nationals thought the EU was a good thing. Taken altogether there is enough evidence to suggest that there are quite large swathes of the EU population that are not happy with the EU and therefore claiming that the EU has nothing to answer for in this debacle is a bit arrogant. That is not to say that the UK is blameless. Far from it and in the coming years there will a massive reckoning in this country as to how something like this was allowed to happen and retribution will not be confined to the press and parliament. The courts and the street will have their say too. The world is changing and if the EU just blithely decide that the blame for all this lies firmly at the feet of the UK and refuses to examine its mission, its bloody indivisible rules and its road-maps then I would suggest that the UK will not be the last casualty.
The people in 1975 are not the same people who voted in 2016.
The press wasn't the same in 1975.
Social media brainwashing the gullibles didn't exist in 1975.

One thing is quite clear though, the majority of the electorate didn't know what they voted for in 1975 or 2016.
I didn't vote for British Leyland to sell its Morris Marinas in 1975.

Honest John

Answer this question, between 1975 and 2015 has the UK been part of the EU and actively built it?
I can work for a company for years and give it my absolute best but there may come a time when I am no longer happy.
I may try to change things whilst still in the company but at the end of the day I have to decide whether this is the place for me or not.

JPRouve

Scout
I can work for a company for years and give it my absolute best but there may come a time when I am no longer happy.
I may try to change things whilst still in the company but then end of the day I have to decide whether this is the place for me or not.
Answer the question and the UK weren't working for the EU, they were decision makers, the EU is treaty based.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I may try to change things whilst still in the company but then end of the day I have to decide whether this is the place for me or not.
But after you left you still want your salary and tell the company it should change.