g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
So..old people are complete idiots are they.
Please tell me (I am 68 by the way) am I a complete idiot because I voted to remain.

Quite frankly only a complete idiot would make such a groundless and utterly idiotic statement.
You're still alright for a few years yet, another 10 years, max, before you become a complete idiot. :)

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
So..old people are complete idiots are they.
Please tell me (I am 68 by the way) am I a complete idiot because I voted to remain.

Quite frankly only a complete idiot would make such a groundless and utterly idiotic statement.
Yes, I've made the same comment before. My late mum-in-law was 80 when the referendum was held and she voted remain. More older people may have voted leave, but certainly not all of them!

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted

Fingeredmouse

Read his post again and you will see that there is a comma before old people.
Yes. The comma separates the statements "Only half the people are idiots" and that "Most of the idiots are old people". He's demonstrably not saying all old people are idiots....just lots of them.
Which, I guess means what he's saying is that the older demographics voted leave in larger percentages. Which is objectively true. This isn't the same as saying all "old" people voted leave.
He also calls everyone who voted leave an idiot. This I would argue is not true. Some of them are just wrong, some of them are cnuts and some are idiots, wrong and cnuts.
He is, however, not calling you or any remain voter an idiot.

SqueakyWeasel

Yes, I've made the same comment before. My late mum-in-law was 80 when the referendum was held and she voted remain. More older people may have voted leave, but certainly not all of them!

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted
EDIT: Just re-read, sorry to hear about the passing of your MiL :(

Those figures do prove that the only other group that rated higher for a leave collective was stupid people though.
The figures do seem to support that age and education were major factors so it should not really be surprising if people make sweeeping generalisations using synonyms for "elderly" and "uneducated" (as I did above).

I'd like to see the revised figures now though, I'm feeling the older generation figure will be dramatically reduced (as they originally trusted their printed media and have now been lectured for 2 years by their offspring). However, I feel the lower end of the educated figure will be about the same IMO.

Last edited:

Raulduke

A petition won't make the government take action but it's certainly making opposition MPs take notice and gives them cover to attempt to force a debate on it if nothing else. This time yesterday very few people were even discussing revoking article 50 with any seriousness.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A petition won't make the government take action but it's certainly making opposition MPs take notice and gives them cover to attempt to force a debate on it if nothing else. This time yesterday very few people were even discussing revoking article 50 with any seriousness.

Also gives an answer to Mays claim that there's no evidence the public have changed their mind.

SqueakyWeasel

Who'd have thought 5 years ago during the Scottish referendum that the SNP would be practically the only united government party talking sense about remaining together :angel:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
@Buster15 @Fingeredmouse @SqueakyWeasel
My original post was a generalisation, which I probably shouldnt have made - I apologise for that.

Of course, if you really want to get into grammar nitpicking then my original statement was:
"that it is only half of the country (probably not even that now), and mostly the old people, who are complete idiots"

Its a bit of a stretch to interpret that as meaning "all old people are complete idiots". Clearly it was referring to the demographic of the overall population that voted leave, and the fact that proportionally, older generations had a far higher Leave vote than the younger ones.

SqueakyWeasel

My original post was a generalisation, which I probably shouldnt have made - I apologise for that.

Of course, if you really want to get into grammar nitpicking then my original statement was:
"that it is only half of the country (probably not even that now), and mostly the old people, who are complete idiots"

Its a bit of a stretch to interpret that as meaning "all old people are complete idiots". Clearly it was referring to the demographic of the overall population that voted leave, and the fact that proportionally, older generations had a far higher Leave vote than the younger ones.
I was on your side! :lol:

Adebesi

Bloody old people cant read.

Fingeredmouse

Who'd have thought 5 years ago during the Scottish referendum that the SNP would be practically the only united government party talking sense about remaining together :angel:
On this issue, it'd always have been so. The SNP are pro-Europe and pro-business party and the conflation between Scottish seeking independence and leaving the EU to the extent where holding a remain EU opinion alongside a pro-Scottish independence position is somehow seen as contradictory has always confused me. Both issues are a bit more nuanced than being in or out of something.

Siorac

Remind me, why is Labour led by an ardent Leaver at this time of crisis? They're not doing a stellar job of representing the interests of their own voters. Or at least that's how it seems to me.

SqueakyWeasel

On this issue, it'd always have been so. The SNP are pro-Europe and pro-business party and the conflation between Scottish seeking independence and leaving the EU to the extent where holding a remain EU opinion alongside a pro-Scottish independence position is somehow seen as contradictory has always confused me. Both issues are a bit more nuanced than being in or out of something.
I like it and find it somehow nice – after all the shit that was chucked at the Scots during their referendum … don't spoil it for me ;)

Adebesi

Remind me, why is Labour led by an ardent Leaver at this time of crisis?
Well, you see, its like this.

There was once a man by the name of Edward Samuel Miliband. He wanted to turn the Labour party into a grassroots movement. One day, after not thinking anything through, he decided it would be rather good to let any old Tom, Dick or Harry with a spare £3 contribute to selecting party leaders.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

No problems. Apology greatfully accepted my friend.
I do realise that it was a generalisation. As I have previously mentioned, emotions are running pretty high regarding Brexit and I am most concerned about the very divisive nature of this.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The "parliament won't allow No Deal" crew better think again.
Conservatives have shown time and time again they will never put country before party.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Signatures from Russia, North Korea, and Saudi Arabia
:p
Wow 12 from Russia?! They’re making a concerted effort to meddle here. There’s no way there is 12 expats or travelling brits in Russia right now.

Huge numbers!

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Look at that. The old and the uneducated voted to leave. No suprise there.
Not all of them.

I remember around the time of the result the BBC were interviewing a WWII veteran who was devastated. He essentially said he fought for what Europe is now and the UK are undoing all of that.

LARulz

Conservatives have shown time and time again they will never put country before party.
Do the DUP actually want a no deal, if so why? Surely it causes chaos their end?

Infra-red

Blame game for the ensuing 'no deal' chaos started last night.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Do the DUP actually want a no deal, if so why? Surely it causes chaos their end?
DUP have always wanted a no deal despite what they might have said. They are right wing fundamentalists who sit well with the ERG crowd.