Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What do you make of the options?
Honestly, I don't know. I don't really understand the context, EU member states have officially no intention to negotiate with the UK so all options that require a negotiation seem pointless and some of them don't even fix the issues.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Honestly, I don't know. I don't really understand the context, EU member states have officially no intention to negotiate with the UK so all options that require a negotiation seem pointless and some of them don't even fix the issues.
Is that a blanket refusal or just based on May's 'red lines'?

JPRouve

Scout
Is that a blanket refusal or just based on May's 'red lines'?
It's based on the UK parliament unable to agree on anything that is sensible after two years, including May's red lines. The transition period was supposed to end Friday and they are still talking nonsense.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Exactly. She should vote for the people who elected her. How can she talk about democracy if she doesn't uphold the opinion of those who elected her.
This isn't a good argument unless you want those in leave seats to have to vote for Brexit, and as there were more leave constituencies...

Hephaestus

This isn't a good argument unless you want those in leave seats to have to vote for Brexit, and as there were more leave constituencies...
Yeah, exactly. I'd rather an MP did what they think is right.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Who the hell would trust May to be honest about this?

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
That's how I read it. If one doesn't want No Deal, and doesn't want May's deal, then the best alternative is Revoke, as the other alternatives, in the unlikely event they could be negotiated, don't seem to hold any advantage over Revoke anyway.

Fully Fledged

They admit that they are going against their constituents. Standing up and talking about democracy while voting against the people who voted for you is the height of hypocrisy.

saying that I know that I am voting against my constituents but this matter is too important is a view I can get behind.

For full disclosure, I hate Kate Hoey and will find any reason to pull her up.

Eire Red United

Tell that to someone waiting for a hospital queue, or housing, or a free school place … perhaps the government should just invest all our tax money in no-brainer get-rich-quick schemes?
Why would the Tories care about silly little things like health care, education and housing?

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
They admit that they are going against their constituents. Standing up and talking about democracy while voting against the people who voted for you is the height of hypocrisy.

saying that I know that I am voting against my constituents but this matter is too important is a view I can get behind.

For full disclosure, I hate Kate Hoey and will find any reason to pull her up.
Democracy is indirect. You representing the people isn't the same as doing every single thing they want. If I'm elected to parliament and suddenly find out my constituents want something I disagree with, I'm not (even morally) obliged to entertain it. I would say the exception to this is if that particular issue was part of the pledge I made when presenting myself as an option for them to vote on.

So if I promised my people I would vote for the death penalty then I should do so. If that wasn't discussed when I was elected then I'm not going to do it just because a poll or referendum says the majority of my constituents want it.

JPRouve

Scout
That's how I read it. If one doesn't want No Deal, and doesn't want May's deal, then the best alternative is Revoke, as the other alternatives, in the unlikely event they could be negotiated, don't seem to hold any advantage over Revoke anyway.
Pretty much. The Boles option is interesting it's a disguised transition extension and if I was a EU negotiator I would slap the poor guy that will have to sell it. @do.ob is right they seem to think that everyone around them is a fool.

Smores

The best alternative really isn't what you prefer though, it's whatever position is a sufficient compromise. Clarke's amendment is fine and isn't anywhere close to being unnegotiable.

I want us to remain but revoke is a pathetic solution unless it's to investigate better alternatives.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
The best alternative really isn't what you prefer though, it's whatever position is a sufficient compromise. Clarke's amendment is fine and isn't anywhere close to being unnegotiable.

I want us to remain but revoke is a pathetic solution unless it's to investigate better alternatives.
As a member of the EEA ?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Not sure about that. If one of the amendments does get a majority (big if) I cannot see the EU not being prepared to discuss it if it is capable of ending this nightmare for both sides.

TheGame

This is utter BS, all about the Tory Party, never about the country. May is delusional if she thinks she will be remembered as someone who made a sacrifice, these Brexiteers don’t give a toss on who suffers to reach their goals.

JPRouve

Scout
Not sure about that. If one of the amendments does get a majority (big if) I cannot see the EU not being prepared to discuss it if it is capable of ending this nightmare for both sides.
None of the amendments that requires negotiation fix a single thing.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I mean on amendment/option M.
Can't believe so many have voted for it.

It's just asking the public if they agree with the WA - or not. What happens if they don't?
What indeed.
I believe that the majority of MP'S now realise that some compromise has to happen; or am I that deluded...

Infra-red

Boris Johnson will now stick a knife in the back of the PM.
Indeed.

Not sure on the maths - if the DUP agreed to abstain and the ERG/hard Brexiteers voted in favour of the WA, do we think that it gets through?

(putting aside for one moment the problem of getting past Bercow)

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
What indeed.
I believe that the majority of MP'S now realise that some compromise has to happen; or am I that deluded...
What really gets me is that we're nearly 3 years from the referendum and after all this time the best parliament ,and I mean the whole of parliament of all persuasions, can come up with are these alternatives which are either not possible or do not solve any problems. It's time they all grew up.

beedoubleyou

This is utter BS, all about the Tory Party, never about the country. May is delusional if she thinks she will be remembered as someone who made a sacrifice, these Brexiteers don’t give a toss on who suffers to reach their goals.
100%

A generation will not forgive these people.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout

For Clarke's amendment to be a compromise then Leavers would have to see some advantage in it, and I can't see that they would, I think it will get zero support from Leavers. I accept it might be a next best for Remainers, but that's not a compromise. If you are right however, and I am wrong, it will get some support from Leavers. We'll see :)

TheGame

Indeed.

Not sure on the maths - if the DUP agreed to abstain and the ERG/hard Brexiteers voted in favour of the WA, do we think that it gets through?

(putting aside for one moment the problem of getting past Bercow)
Still a number of Tories who will vote against and a small number of DUP. Moderate Tories will be aware what lays in store with a extreme brexiteer taking over.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I mean on amendment/option M.
Can't believe so many have voted for it.

It's just asking the public if they agree with the WA - or not. What happens if they don't?
It's basically a prelude to the Kyle-Wilson amendment, which puts the WA up against remaining in a referendum.