Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
They clip shown of Farage was the second part of the interview. The first part was about Brexit, in which he basically lied through his teeth about, among other things, WTO rules and claiming that the 15% of UK trade with Europe, (really so low?) is pretty much irrelevant in the great scheme of things. Also, although his assertion that the UK only produces 2% of global CO2, maybe correct, although I'm inclined not to believe a word he says, the impact of Global Warming has provided thousands of job opportunities around the World, rather than causing people to lose their jobs.

He's a fecking liar and he peddles a narrative that only his deluded supporters would lap up. The fact that the Brexit party has so much support so quickly, just goes to show what your average little Englander believes.
Now if Marr had pulled him up on those things and highlighted inaccuracies and lies then he would have won, and Farage would have lost. But Marr didn't do that, Marr couldn't come off his script, which appeared to be asking irrelevant questions in a personal attack on Farage's past, and that allowed Farage to deliver his points on the day's real issue, Brexit, unchallenged. Which is why he 'won'. :)

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Proportionally speaking I reckon that's likely very true which, as you say, is why the opinions of 10% of those questioned from the Sunday Times Rich List shouldn't be conflated with the opinions of the top 1% of income tax payers.

I do wonder how steeply the pay curve rises once you've hit that magic 100k lower threshold though. At that wage you pay around 28k income tax. For the sums to add up the top 1% need to be paying an average of 230k tax. For that to happen the mean annual wage among the top 1% of income tax payers would be around £550k (granted I did some fag packet maths so I could be wrong).
I know tons of 100k earners in the netherlands, its not a massive wage and they pay their 50+ % in tax. These are average joes that cannot conceal their earnings from the taxman.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I know tons of 100k earners in the netherlands, its not a massive wage and they pay their 50+ % in tax. These are average joes that cannot conceal their earnings from the taxman.
To be a member of this elite 1% club in the UK requires you to be earning over £160k (€185k). Claiming that members of this group are just average joes is by definition nothing more than a comical non-sequitur. Regardless, my point was that the average wage of your top 1% isn't 100k (or 160k) - it has to be around 550k for the sums to work. Being a poorer member of this elite group is a thankless role, no doubt. Being lumped in with the super-rich while only being pretty wealthy is an unenviable position to be in and one that (thank heavens) 99% of the population will never have to endure.

Last edited:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The average income in the Netherlands is 37,000 euros a year, so no someone on 100,000 euros a year is not an 'average joe'.

Maticmaker

Does Pareto's analysis still hold, that 80% of the wealth in a 'first world' country is held by 20% of the population and if so how does that relate to tax receipts for the Government ??

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
So back where we started then.

They should have revoked A50 on 29 March. Then they could try to come up with something workable without any time pressure and have another go at A50 when there is an actual plan in place.

Hopefully, they'd get bored after a few years and give up on the idea.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
She will be out of government long before she gets to make a decision.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
So back where we started then.

They should have revoked A50 on 29 March. Then they could try to come up with something workable without any time pressure and have another go at A50 when there is an actual plan in place.

Hopefully, they'd get bored after a few years and give up on the idea.
But it will never go away whilst the media give so much attention to people like Farage, who is a parasite feeding off people's ignorance, prejudice and bigotry.

The person who is happiest that the UK haven't left yet is Farage, his meal ticket has been the EU for 20 years and as long as the UK are still there he remains relevant because too many people are too stupid to realise what a charlatan he is.

The EU made a mistake giving an extension because it's clear they'll never agree on anything. Don't think they'll make the same mistake again. And who's going to revoke A50?

Maticmaker

But it will never go away whilst the media give so much attention to people like Farage, who is a parasite feeding off people's ignorance, prejudice and bigotry.

The person who is happiest that the UK haven't left yet is Farage, his meal ticket has been the EU for 20 years and as long as the UK are still there he remains relevant because too many people are too stupid to realise what a charlatan he is.

The EU made a mistake giving an extension because it's clear they'll never agree on anything. Don't think they'll make the same mistake again. And who's going to revoke A50?
Agreed, the time to revoke has passed now, May has made a complete bo**ocks of it. March the 29th was the time to revoke or to No deal. Everyone, UK politicians, EU officials and the 27 other member states, all looking at each other not knowing what the hell to do.

It has to be 'no deal' now by default, and a plague on all their houses!

Infra-red

Why wait?
One last go at getting her deal through.

When that fails, she'll step down, the Tories will run their leadership election and we'll have a new PM in time for conference in late September.

The new leader will presumably be a Brexiteer, so 'no deal' exit will probably be the eventual outcome in October.

DavidDeSchmikes

if Labour were to do poorly in the upcoming elections, then Labour could move to a vote of no confidence against Corbyn

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Genuinely think he’s overplayed his hand now. I don’t think he’s fair very well in a GE.
I think the way it works is that firstly the Tory MPs narrow the Tory leadership contenders down to two, and then the wider party membership gets to vote on which they prefer. According to all the Tories I've spoken to Boris will absolutely walk it if he gets through to the final two. He is nowhere near as popular with MPs though, so he probably won't. How sad.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
What happened in the middle of 2017 to make May's rating drop and Corbyn's shoot up?

It's extremely concerning that Nigel Farage who wants to privatize health care, reduce gun restrictions and thinks women get paid less than men because of their lifestyle choices is now more popular than the leaders of Britain's two biggest political parties.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
What happened in the middle of 2017 to make May's rating drop and Corbyn's shoot up?

It's extremely concerning that Nigel Farage who wants to privatize health care, reduce gun restrictions and thinks women get paid less than men because of their lifestyle choices is now more popular than the leaders of Britain's two biggest political parties.
General Election? His ratings went up and hers went down a bit during the campaign.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
General Election? His ratings went up and hers went down a bit during the campaign.
Oh yeah makes sense. Farage's Brexit Party don't even have a manifesto and yet people are willing to blindly vote for him just to get out of the EU.

Infra-red

I am frankly amazed that Corbyn is less popular than May.

Alright, so they have essentially the same score, but I am amazed that he is still as unpopular.
Really? His approval ratings have been on a steady decline since 2017. 94/100 polls conducted by YouGov/Opinium in the last two years have had Corbyn behind May (although her own ratings are also pretty dreadful).

The country might be divided over Brexit, but there seems to be pretty much universal agreement that the leaders of the two main parties are completely useless.