Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fingeredmouse

A party that ignores the Scottish Referendum, the EU Referendum, and would inflict yet another 2 referendums, and a simultaneous Brexit and Dissolution of the Union, and the economic double whammy that would inflict on the UK and in particular on Scotland. Yeah, I view them as lower than UKIP, as utterly shamelessly nationalistic as the BNP.
You do know who the BNP are don't you? You do know the result of the EU ref in Scotland don't you? You are aware of the context around the indie referendum are you not? You are aware of the political policies of the SNP I imagine? You are aware of what UKIP stand for?
Your statement is unmitigated simplistic and plain wrong headed arse gravy of the highest order.

The Lib Dems are worse than the Khmer Rouge.

NinjaFletch

A party that ignores the Scottish Referendum, the EU Referendum, and would inflict yet another 2 referendums, and a simultaneous Brexit and Dissolution of the Union, and the economic double whammy that would inflict on the UK and in particular on Scotland. Yeah, I view them as lower than UKIP, as utterly shamelessly nationalistic as the BNP.
I'd suggest you have a pretty poor grasp on Scottish politics.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
What about if this race to the bottom/Singapore type economy occurs and the UK deregulates on workers rights, lowers wages, etc? Then the opposite might occur, European businesses moving to the UK, then shipping everything back through NI into the EU... oh forgot there wont be enough workers in the UK because of restrictions on FoM! Still with a points based scheme in play, then enough bottle-top-makers, widget putter on'ers, lefthanded screw driver makers, could be recruited from elsewhere as required. etc.

We just don't know do we?
NI will effectively be in the EU CU no matter what Boris says. You can't ship through NI or vice versa unless everything still complies with EU regulations. This will end UK manufacturing. The Uk will have plenty of workers but not enough jobs. The Uk cannot function as it does with a hard border. The UK cannot function as a low tax deregulated country, London can but the rest of the country couldn't.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
You do know who the BNP are don't you? You do know the result of the EU ref in Scotland don't you? You are aware of the context around the indie referendum are you not? You are aware of the political policies of the SNP I imagine? You are aware of what UKIP stand for?
Your statement is unmitigated simplistic and plain wrong headed arse gravy of the highest order.
All the same Sturgeon is meddlesome statist who in her own right has underperformed in her responsibilities in a number of different ways.

Fingeredmouse

All the same Sturgeon is meddlesome statist who in her own right has underperformed in her responsibilities in a number of different ways.
This is a very different point from comparing the SNP to a quasi facist openly racist bunch of cnuts.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
What about if this race to the bottom/Singapore type economy occurs and the UK deregulates on workers rights, lowers wages, etc? Then the opposite might occur, European businesses moving to the UK, then shipping everything back through NI into the EU... oh forgot there wont be enough workers in the UK because of restrictions on FoM! Still with a points based scheme in play, then enough bottle-top-makers, widget putter on'ers, lefthanded screw driver makers, could be recruited from elsewhere as required. etc.

We just don't know do we?
I get what you're saying but I'm not sure Singapore is a good example, it looks like their GDP per capita is twice that of the UK's, even with lower taxes that should be enough to build a few more hospitals I'd have thought. Then again I've not been there, they could be less happy than us I suppose.

diarm

I get what you're saying but I'm not sure Singapore is a good example, it looks like their GDP per capita is twice that of the UK's, even with lower taxes that should be enough to build a few more hospitals I'd have thought. Then again I've not been there, they could be less happy than us I suppose.
They're not. Singapore is the best run country I've ever lived in.

It helps that they have 5 millions people living in a space smaller than Cork and have been able to build Sim City style in only 50 years but as an example of how an economy and society can be built it is unrivalled.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think letwin passes... But if not I think
Letwin defeated
Boris defeated
No deal defeated
Referendum defeated

Boris either sends no letter or a second letter to scupper the extension

No confidence motion lodged Monday and to be debated tuesday ...

Boris defeated but no immediate alternative

Basically we will be a week from a hard brexit with no pm and the only thing people can agree on is they don't want hard brexit... Yet still can't agree to stop it
Feeling pretty dark eh? Open the curtains and let some sunlight in!!

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I'm away at the mo' and a bit out the loop. So whatever happens with Letwin, if Johnson's deal passes we're leaving the EU on those terms?
Think if letwin passes it delays vote on deal until legislation clear.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
They're not. Singapore is the best run country I've ever lived in.

It helps that they have 5 millions people living in a space smaller than Cork and have been able to build Sim City style in only 50 years but as an example of how an economy and society can be built it is unrivalled.
Unrivalled for said circumstances.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Thanks. If Ken Clarke is saying Johnson's deal is 'undeniably bad', but he is still resigned to voting for it, it seems he will get it through whichever way though?
Or the casting votes will decide as they better understand the minutiae.

owlo

The numbers of Kyle will be the most interesting, assuming Letwin passes.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Thanks. If Ken Clarke is saying Johnson's deal is 'undeniably bad', but he is still resigned to voting for it, it seems he will get it through whichever way though?
Ken Clarke voted for May’s deal as well though.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Jeremy will most likely 'retire' after the coming election, so not long now, but his replacement will be another momentum type, chosen by the new members.
Yes I understand that. But almost anyone else ought to be an improvement.
Such as Rebecca Longbailey perhaps. Spoke very well again today.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The first question has already been answered by esmufc07 and sun_tzu, speaker gets the casting vote and by convention always opposes the motion as it hasn't commanded a majority.

As for the second question, as I understand it the voting rules for Stormont with regards to this are as follows:
  • if a simple majority vote yes then it gets approved for 4 years
  • if a majority of nationalists and unionists vote yes then it get approved for 8 years (but for some reason this is defined as minimum 50% for each OR minimum 40% for each and minimum 60% overall)
  • if the vote is no then it triggers a 2 year cooling off period for the UK and EU to find some other arrangements, only at the end of that 2 year cooling off period could there be a hard border.
The first vote would be 4 years in so first theoretical possibility of a hard border is 6 years in.
Thank you. A clear and consise answer.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Fair enough. Never thought I'd be fretting about parliamentary votes while sat in a New York diner having breakfast.
Get your arse to Saddles in Soho and have the french toast.

diarm

DUP are DUP'ing. They're like spoilt children being denied sweets at the supermarket checkout - they've no plan or end game, they just want to have a tantrum.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Anyone take 30 seconds to explain exactly what that means?