Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I've heard a few similar stories. London school trips being moved to other european capitals because of this extra cost.
More than a few. The school trip thing has apparently already cost the UK billions, its a big industry and its basically ground to a halt due to Brexit.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
More than a few. The school trip thing has apparently already cost the UK billions, its a big industry and its basically ground to a halt due to Brexit.
The study center I collaborate with decided to change all english class trips to Dublin. What a shot in the foot this whole thing is for the british.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
fecking hell. So when someone in my team electrocutes themselves on a piece of kit that hasn't been tested in three years their life is in the hands of a paramedic who might "sort of" be qualified for the job? Because being a medical professional definitely doesn't need years of training to fully grasp the multitude of processes and skills required to diagnose and save a life. Why not go one further and return to the seventies when the person driving the ambulance was just a driver and nothing else?

At least once they've died the agency cleaner can come in with their hyper powered vacuum to clean up the stains. Unless they're on leave due to tinnitus or mental/physical strain brought on by shit working conditions and wages.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
fecking hell. So when someone in my team electrocutes themselves on a piece of kit that hasn't been tested in three years their life is in the hands of a paramedic who might "sort of" be qualified for the job? Because being a medical professional definitely doesn't need years of training to fully grasp the multitude of processes and skills required to diagnose and save a life. Why not go one further and return to the seventies when the person driving the ambulance was just a driver and nothing else?

At least once they've died the agency cleaner can come in with their hyper powered vacuum to clean up the stains. Unless they're on leave due to tinnitus or mental/physical strain brought on by shit working conditions and wages.
It's a race to the bottom and the UK won, remember to wave a flag.

MoskvaRed

Just how many of these “benefits“ were public knowledge in 2016? It was sold as a game-changer - escaping decrepit Europe to trade with the US, China and India, and, in unsubtle dog whistle terms, to expel foreigners and even non-white British. It turns out that the sunlit uplands increase our chance of being electrocuted, trash the environment and remove “red tape” around becoming a doctor. Not forgetting of course having the crown mark on our pint glasses (easily worth 4% of GDP).

Paul the Wolf

Nice to see one of them coming close to acknowledging the whole scheme has been terrible. Give it a few decades and many the rest of them will...
But he hasn't really, he's got no idea what Brexit means, he has no idea what being part of the single market means and he has no idea what being in the customs union means , and he's back to trying to cherry pick. It's the same nonsense from 2017.

MoskvaRed

It’s encouraging that a senior Tory MP is at least mentioning the previously unmentionable. Maybe the opposition might even mention the elephant in the room?

FireballXL5

I'm sure the EU would love to have the UK back with their long list of get-outs, exemptions and 'conditions'.

Jericholyte2

It’s encouraging that a senior Tory MP is at least mentioning the previously unmentionable. Maybe the opposition might even mention the elephant in the room?
One can only hope. I was expecting it to be 10-15yrs before it would be officially mentioned by Tory MPs.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
So, here we have the logic for voting for Brexit.
People just used their imagination as to what they expected.
I too used my imagination and expected it to be an unmitigated disaster.
But my imagination was correct.

Paul the Wolf

I find it's even more depressing than ever for the UK.
Any rational person knew Brexit would be a disaster - how could it not be? What was it that "most people imagined" ?

This Tobias Ellwood hasn't learnt a single thing since before the referendum and he's supposed to be a glimmer of light.
Brexit has barely begun and there are so many more nasty things yet to happen over the next five years.

But surely he knew that, but no, he still doesn't know what he voted for.

WPMUFC

Wow it's almost as if a FTA with Australia doesn't solve all the problems of self sabotage against a multi-trillion dollar market that is literally visible from your beaches :lol:

Don't worry I'm sure JRM is furiously looking for other WFH civil staff to "own" on social media.

Paul the Wolf

RedChip

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But he hasn't really, he's got no idea what Brexit means, he has no idea what being part of the single market means and he has no idea what being in the customs union means , and he's back to trying to cherry pick. It's the same nonsense from 2017.
Yup. They still don't get that the biggest issue is with the custom area, not the single market. 5 years and they still don't get it.

Last edited:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Plenty of people around me have Union Jack flags up during this 4 day weekend and are enjoying the jubilee celebrations. Absolutely great. I actually came across some people (two couples) though who seem think that these celebrations and this display of patriotism is only possible because of Brexit. So the celebrations that many of us remember for the golden jubilee in 2002 (well I was a kid at school at the time but I remember it reasonably well) and diamond jubilee in 2012 for example were actually a figment of our imaginations, with the nasty EU stepping in to ban them from actually taking place. Shudder.

All jokes aside, this is a pretty common trend though. Various people including those with pretty high profile media gigs such as Iain Dale on LBC, when naming supposed benefits of Brexit (in many cases only after being pressed and struggling to do so), are coming out with a list of examples which were all possible during our EU membership. Of course episodes such as the Minister of State for Farming, Fisheries and Food being unable to name a single benefit of Brexit for farmers are all too common.

As time has gone on, following decades and decades of anti-EU propaganda, including the guy that was front of centre of the remain campaign Cameron repeatedly criticising the EU as PM and even blaming it for his own government's austerity programme, I've actually become more and more amazed that as many of 16.1 million of us voted to remain.

WPMUFC

I'm actually seeing the Express noticing that Brexit actually hasn't been the best idea over the last few days.
did you have a look at the article comments? :lol:

Full on delusional nutters that think anything bad for Brexit is an EU plot or "being salty that we got away" and the solution is to move FURTHER away from EU trade :lol:

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
did you have a look at the article comments? :lol:

Full on delusional nutters that think anything bad for Brexit is an EU plot or "being salty that we got away" and the solution is to move FURTHER away from EU trade :lol:
Yeah Express readers have been conditioned by decades of nonsense so I don't really expect any different. The editors, on the other hand, seem to have decided that they can ignore this no longer.

Also:

Paul the Wolf

Yeah Express readers have been conditioned by decades of nonsense so I don't really expect any different. The editors, on the other hand, seem to have decided that they can ignore this no longer.

Also:

It's not just the single market, it's mainly leaving the Custom's Union. So the only way to avoid all these problems was to stay in the Single Market and the Custom's Union. Which would have meant the UK would still have been in the EU with no say.

Brexit could have never worked.

Last edited:

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
It's not just the single market, it's mainly leaving the Custom's Union. So the only way to avoid all these problems was to stay in the Single Market and the Custom's Union. Which would have meant all the UK would still have been in the EU with no say.

There are many people who have convinced themselves of a falsehood.

What we seem to be witnessing now is the mental contortions of people who are trying to reconcile reality with their beliefs and are failing to do so without logical fallacies and shortcuts.

I hope this is the first in many steps back to accepting that reality, but you will have to wait a while before those people state explicitly that Brexit could never work (I expect them to get there via blaming the EU for sabotaging it first).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's not just the single market, it's mainly leaving the Custom's Union. So the only way to avoid all these problems was to stay in the Single Market and the Custom's Union. Which would have meant the UK would still have been in the EU with no say.

They are doing it on purpose, there is no other way.

Paul the Wolf

There are many people who have convinced themselves of a falsehood.

What we seem to be witnessing now is the mental contortions of people who are trying to reconcile reality with their beliefs and are failing to do so without logical fallacies and shortcuts.

I hope this is the first in many steps back to accepting that reality, but you will have to wait a while before those people state explicitly that Brexit could never work (I expect them to get there via blaming the EU for sabotaging it first).
Yes, they'll be blaming the EU and all sorts of people for the problems. The hardest part for them to accept will be that the idea of Brexit was never about a benefit for the British people, only for the benefit of certain politicians and tax avoiders and that they got conned into believing that these charlatans had their interests at heart.