g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It wasn't my question and I just gave my opinion on your answer. The way party works at local or national level put them in a very weak position if they try to throw someone out because he didn't vote like they say, particularly when it's not even his job to do that, he is supposed to represent voters and their hypothetical views.
Ah, that will be why the brexit's going ahead then. I'm a bit surprised you approve but I admire your principles.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ah, that will be why the brexit's going ahead then. I'm a bit surprised you approve but I admire your principles.
I was only talking about the representation not how they actually vote. They are supposed to advise people and that's generally where they fail because they either don't care or don't know better.

Edit: And they are supposed to take decisions in the best interest of the people that they represent.

EyeInTheSky

Do you believe your MP should vote according to his convictions or have to tow the party line and vote against his convictions?
Key point. People were happy for them to make any decision on their behalf without giving a feck in the past
Regardless. A good number MP’s have not got convictions but need convicting.

It's been pointed out dozens of times here, but facts are always ignored by Brexiters.

Here's Brain of Britain Craig Mackinlay, a Conservative Brexiter, today at the Commons Brexit Committee:

If am making a pen for sale in the UK, why should I have to comply with an EU standard. It could make it harder to sell my pen in the US, where standards are slightly different.

Words fail me.
The pen is mightier when sold abroad.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I was only talking about the representation not how they actually vote. They are supposed to advise people and that's generally where they fail because they either don't care or don't know better.
Fair enough. I thought the main way MPs represented people was by voting but I get things wrong. I suppose they do a lot of work taking up individual's problems with government and local government bodies and quangos and the like as well. That side of their work probably doesn't get too much publicity though.

JPRouve

Scout
Fair enough. I thought the main way MPs represented people was by voting but I get things wrong. I suppose they do a lot of work taking up individual's problems with government and local government bodies and quangos and the like as well. That side of their work probably doesn't get too much publicity though.
I apologize for my persistence I keeping forgetting points. The MP of your area represents every single person in that area, he represents every single companies and associations, his decisions are supposed to be for the benefits of all the people in his area and it doesn't matter whether they voted for him or not. He isn't supposed to vote for his party or himself but for his constituents.

Now to be honest your view isn't wrong at all, to a large part it seems that MPs are simple pawns that votes like they are told whether it is by their party or by following what they believe will allow them to keep their constituency but we need to remember that this is not what they are supposed to do, they are supposed to make our voices heard and protect our interests as citizens, even if it means upsetting us from time to time.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Inappropriate Content
Don't worry, Dominic Raaaaaaab said there will be 'adequate' amounts of food.

All this because white Brits can't handle anyone that doesn't look like them

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I apologize for my persistence I keeping forgetting points. The MP of your area represents every single person in that area, he represents every single companies and associations, his decisions are supposed to be for the benefits of all the people in his area and it doesn't matter whether they voted for him or not. He isn't supposed to vote for his party or himself but for his constituents.

Now to be honest your view isn't wrong at all, to a large part it seems that MPs are simple pawns that votes like they are told whether it is by their party or by following what they believe will allow them to keep their constituency but we need to remember that this is not what they are supposed to do, they are supposed to make our voices heard and protect our interests as citizens, even if it means upsetting us from time to time.
In practice an MP can't represent everyone equally though. If you vote for abortion you will very much go against the wishes of half the population. Vote against it and you'll upset the other half. In practice members must make their decisions on a case by case basis, hopefully taking their constituents views into account. Sometimes they won't of course, otherwise we'd still be hanging people. As for parties, isn't that a case of people with reasonably like minds banding together to get things done? Wouldn't the floor of the house just be chaos without some form of organisation .. you vote for me on this and I'll vote for you on that, the start of a party as it were?

I'm just musing JP, I suspect someone who has studied politics as a degree or higher would shoot that all down. Maybe even if they haven't :) Just my own humble thoughts, no more.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Miniscule
Then you should probably take a look at the population of the UK, the percentage of people who voted to leave, and some of the primary research into ethnicity of leave voters. You might find then that some white British voted to leave but not as many that either voted to remain or didn't vote and also, for example, that there was a strong British Asian vote for leave as well as differing levels of leave voting amongst other BAME peoples.

This of course doesn't take into account people's stated reasons for voting leave other than matters of immigration (or outright racism as you're suggesting)

In a nustshell while there's no doubt that the white British racists will have formed part of the leave vote you're peddling a massive generalsiation that doesn't reflect a far more nuanced reality.

JPRouve

Scout
In practice an MP can't represent everyone equally though. If you vote for abortion you will very much go against the wishes of half the population. Vote against it and you'll upset the other half. In practice members must make their decisions on a case by case basis, hopefully taking their constituents views into account. Sometimes they won't of course, otherwise we'd still be hanging people. As for parties, isn't that a case of people with reasonably like minds banding together to get things done? Wouldn't the floor of the house just be chaos without some form of organisation .. you vote for me on this and I'll vote for you on that, the start of a party as it were?

I'm just musing JP, I suspect someone who has studied politics as a degree or higher would shoot that all down. Maybe even if they haven't :) Just my own humble thoughts, no more.
Social subjects are complicated, typically it's the type of decision that can and should be decided by direct and universal suffrage like for death penalty. But these subjects aren't that common, most of the time you will have decisions that concern economy, environment, public accounting or safety these are subjects that you take for common interests and the questions/answers aren't that straightforward, so you can't ask for a binary answer.
As for political parties they are generally a mess, people that have nothing to do with each other are on the same side because that's where they had enough room to climb the ladder, you will have people with completely opposing ideas on key points too, they might share common philosophies but it's true for most mainstream parties between them too. A thing that is overlooked is that very often the policies do not come from MPs or the voters but from think tanks made of people that do not have the decency to expose themselves.

And the decisions from an MP can be the wrong one but they need to be taken for the right reason.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Then you should probably take a look at the population of the UK, the percentage of people who voted to leave, and some of the primary research into ethnicity of leave voters. You might find then that some white British voted to leave but not as many that either voted to remain or didn't vote and also, for example, that there was a strong British Asian vote for leave as well as differing levels of leave voting amongst other BAME peoples.

This of course doesn't take into account people's stated reasons for voting leave other than matters of immigration (or outright racism as you're suggesting)

In a nustshell while there's no doubt that the white British racists will have formed part of the leave vote you're peddling a massive generalsiation that doesn't reflect a far more nuanced reality.
White British racists formed the majority of the leave vote. Of that there is no doubt

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
White British racists formed the majority of the leave vote. Of that there is no doubt
That's not what you said though is it? You said white British. Not all white British are racist nor did all of them vote to leave.

Now. Can you link me some research that backs up your statement that the majority of the leave vote was a white British racist one. You say there is no doubt which is a big call so what are you basing it on?

caid

You’re claiming that at least one in four British citizens are racists. With absolute certainty. Wow.
Far from certain myself but theres a report in the Sunday Times a couple pages back saying 24% would vote for an explicitly far-right, anti-Islam, anti-immigrant party.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
If I really need to explain it to you, I’ve no interest in conversing with you.
Theresa May did exactly the same job as all of those that challenged her record - a role that is infamous for the short lifespan of its incumbents due to its difficulty - whereas Gareth Barry played for far inferior clubs to Ryan Giggs so it follows that the impressiveness of his total appearances is far less.

Don't make stupid points if you don't want to "converse further" and back them up.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Far from certain myself but theres a report in the Sunday Times a couple pages back saying 24% would vote for an explicitly far-right, anti-Islam, anti-immigrant party.
That’s a grim stat, if true. Not sure it means all of them are racist, though? In fact, I doubt that everyone who who would vote for that party is white.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
That's not what you said though is it? You said white British. Not all white British are racist nor did all of them vote to leave.

Now. Can you link me some research that backs up your statement that the majority of the leave vote was a white British racist one. You say there is no doubt which is a big call so what are you basing it on?
I did say it. I'm hardly going to mean remain voters when I'm talking about the reason for the leave vote.